Mako and Kei Komuro News and Current Events Part 1: October 2021 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
KOMURO, KEI is listed in https://www.nybarexam.org/EXJ22/KL210.html

Husband of ex-Japan princess Mako passes N.Y. bar exam on 3rd attempt - Kyodo News
... A senior official of the Imperial Household Agency expressed relief upon hearing Komuro had passed, saying "It's good to hear. It is reassuring to see the foundations for (the couple's) future finally falling into place."
NTV reports Mako's parents, Crown Prince Akishino and Crown Princess Kiko, were "relieved."

Another NTV report got reactions from people on the street...

"Eh! Is that so? Isn't it amazing? I think Princess Mako was also good."

"I thought [he] was going to give up after falling twice."

"I think there is really a third time honesty. I hope that the two of [them] will do [their] best together.”

Kazuma Higuchi, a New York lawyer, estimates Kei's "annual income around 6 million to 7 million yen now. It wouldn't be strange if it tripled to nearly 20 million yen." Higuchi says Kei could register as a lawyer as early as end of year.

---

Maybe Mako and Kei will have a triple celebration for Kei's passing the bar, Mako's 31st birthday (October 23), and 1st wedding anniversary (October 26)

Last edited:
Congratulations to Kei Komura, that is quite an achievement, especially when you consider he was taking a notoriously difficult exam in a language that is not his primary one.

I'm glad he finally passed the bar. Only 23% of the retakers managed to pass it this time, so the odds were against him.

I’m so happy for him and wish the couple nothing but the best, especially after all they’ve been through for no fault of theirs

Very happy news and I am sure they are relieved that he has passed.

Wonderful news for Kei! I'm sure it is quite a relief that he passed. As the saying goes - third time's a charm!

So happy for that so likeable couple ! Congratulations.

Great news! I onow a huge burden is lifted off his shoulders!

I am happy for him.

Hopefully now the Japanese press will leave him alone but honestly, they really don't have anyone else to write about so I know this is a wish in vain..and they will continue to bother this young couple.

:previous: Nippon TV tried to interview Kei on his way to work on Monday...

I expect the media will continue to follow the couple and criticize the Akishino family until it decides on a new target. (Sadly, I suspect Masako or Aiko will be next... Michiko enjoyed a period of positive press following succession/enthronement and then negative press coverage starting in 1993, causing her to lose her voice.)

Husband of former Japanese princess begins work as lawyer in US | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News
[...]

Okuno Yoshihiko heads a law firm in Japan, where Komuro worked before moving to the United States.

Okuno said Komuro told him on Wednesday morning by phone that he officially started working as a lawyer on Monday.

It can be confirmed that Komuro was registered as a lawyer on Monday on the website of the New York State Court.

Okuno said Komuro told him he wanted to inform Okuno first, and expressed his gratitude toward him.

Komuro also told Okuno that his wife had congratulated him, adding that the couple will live happily in New York although local prices are high.

[...]
Husband of ex-Japan princess Mako registered as lawyer in N.Y. - Kyodo News
Kei Komuro, the husband of Japanese former princess Mako Komuro, has been registered as a lawyer in the U.S. state of New York, a local judicial website showed.

Komuro's registration, dated Monday according to the New York State Unified Court System, came after he passed the state's bar examination on his third attempt last July.

His title in a legal firm in New York he has been working for has been changed from law clerk to associate.

[...]
Kei Komuro's profile at Lowenstein Sandler: https://www.lowenstein.com/people/attorneys/kei-komuro

Mainichi reports another acquaintance said Kei sent an email about officially becoming a lawyer with a message of thanks for their support.

I wouldn't have recognized her...

Where is Mako working now?
Anyone knows?

Apparently, she is still volunteering at a museum. I wonder whether her visa (H4 probably) prevents her from taking up a paid job.

:previous: Correct. H4 visa holders cannot work in the US. If Mako wanted or needed to work, she'd need her own visa through an employer.

Kei Komuro is now part of the Global Trade & National Security team at Lowenstein Sandler: https://www.lowenstein.com/people/attorneys/kei-komuro

He was previously on the Corporate, Tech Group teams.

I know the specifics of an H4 as I had it myself, however, I am not 100% sure it's the one Mako is on. Nonetheless, it seems the most likely one assuming she is not on some kind of diplonatic visa.

I wish this couple happiness and a normal life. They deserve it.

Back
Top Bottom