Engagement & Marriage of Princess Mako and Kei Komuro: September 2017 - 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope they will marry. Somehow the debt to Mrs. Komuro's ex-fiancé must be paid. Doesn't matter that legally they don't have to. It's a matter of honor now. I don't know if the Komuros are being stubborn and refusing to concede. Even if Kei or his mother have some savings, he probably wants to use it for his marriage/future. Perhaps the ex-fiancé is also bitter and is prolonging the drama/asking for more compensation because he missed the chance to be distantly connected to the Imperial family.

If the Komuros are lacking the capital to repay the supposed debt, it seems to me they would truly be in a bind. Had this happened in another monarchy where it is accepted that the royal family can use their positions and incomes however they deem fit, a solution could have had the royal family providing the monies to repay the debt or leveraging their personal contacts to appoint Kayo or Kei to a more lucrative job. But in Japan, of course, any such plans would (rightfully) provoke an outcry and fallout for the monarchy.

If Mrs. Komuro's narrative is the truth, she and her son were blindsided by an estranged ex-fiancé who lied to the media claiming a non-existent debt, shared her private emails with the tabloids, and spiked a tide of attacks against his ex-fiancée and her son who treated him as a stepfather, to try to tarnish her reputation or monetize his new royal connection. Under those conditions, I could not blame the Komuros if they were uncomfortable with the prospect of rewarding his actions with a huge sum of money.

I also wonder if they are worried that repaying the supposed debt would seem to their critics to be an admission of wrongdoing. It might in the West, but I don't know if that is the case in Japan.

Last edited:
So still no wedding? 2020 is almost over and the Pandemic, it will be pushed back even further, if it even happen at all.

The following article was published on August 14.

Princess Mako's marriage to boyfriend in limbo amid virus pandemic

Komuro, who enrolled in law school at Fordham University in August 2018, has taken online classes amid the pandemic. He has done internships and wrote a report on crowdfunding that was published in a local legal journal.

He is planning to take the bar exam in the United States after finishing his studies at the university next year.

According to a source familiar with the couple, they still plan to get married and frequently communicate with each other through video calls.

[...]

"We are now in a difficult time and the 'Rikkoshi no rei' ceremonies (to proclaim the crown prince's status) have been postponed indefinitely," an official of the Imperial Household Agency said. "We are unable to anticipate (developments regarding the wedding) because of the unexpected coronavirus pandemic."​

Has anyone come across Kei Komuro's piece on crowdfunding?

Could it bring any improvement for the couple in the court of public opinion if they/Kei released a statement that although Kei trusts that his mother is innocent, they respect the concerns of the public and will refuse the customary taxpayer-funded dowry and never accept any financial support from the imperial family?

[...] Has anyone come across Kei Komuro's piece on crowdfunding?

Could it bring any improvement for the couple in the court of public opinion if they/Kei released a statement that although Kei trusts that his mother is innocent, they respect the concerns of the public and will refuse the customary taxpayer-funded dowry and never accept any financial support from the imperial family?
NY Business Law Journal - Summer 2019 | Vol. 23 | No. 1 (PDF)

Kei's article "Challenges and Implications for Potential Reforms of Crowdfunding Law for Social Enterprises" begins at page 68

Kei also appeared in Startup LAWnchpad by Fordham Law ELC's podcast S2, Episode 10: The Funding Spectrum — From Seed Financing to Private Equity in April 2020
Episode Description: William de Wolff (Fordham Law ‘20) and Kei Komuro (Fordham Law ‘21) interview Robert B. Nolan, Jr. (Fordham Law ’77), Managing Partner at Halyard Capital about various stages of capital raising including seed capital, venture capital, and private equity; how to attract investors; and how to raise money for your business.
Anticipation builds for the press conference ahead of Crown Prince Fumihito's birthday on November 30.

Tabloids have been fairly consistent that Mako remains resolute in marrying Kei whereas her parents either avoid the subject or hope Mako will change her mind during the 2+ year wait. Shinji Yamashita thinks an announcement mid-November is possible although an Akishino-no-miya source claims it's difficult to announce marriage plans while so many face hardships due to the pandemic. Another excuse to extend postponement is that the Rikkoshi-no-Rei rite isn't fully complete until the Crown Prince visits Ise Jingu and various mausoleums of previous emperors.

The lump-sum on marriage could be refused but that's money intended to maintain a former princess' dignity and security. Mako will eventually be the daughter and sister of emperors. Instead, Yamashita thinks a reduction is more likely where Mako receives the amount of a "great-granddaughter of an emperor" (i.e. - Noriko Senge and Ayako Moriya, 女王 Joō princesses) than the amount Sayako Kuroda (内親王 Naishinnō princess) received on marriage.

Media periodically follow Kei's mother Kayo and recently noticed security as she left for her job at a pastry shop.

Sources: JPrime (2020/10/13 issue)
JPrime (2020/11/24 issue)

Last edited:
Engagement of Princess Mako and Kei Komuro: September 2017

On November 13th, Imperial Household Agency released a statement from Princess Mako.

Asahi - full statement (Google translation)

Princess Mako still eager to marry, but wedding date undecided - Kyodo News
...In Friday's statement, the princess said she and Komuro have given thought about how their marriage and their lives together should be, while discussing about a range of topics.

"We are irreplaceable to each other -- someone to rely on during both happy and unhappy times. So a marriage is a necessary choice for us to live while cherishing and protecting our feelings," she said, adding the couple "acknowledge that some people are negative" about their planned marriage.

[...]

In the statement, the princess expressed gratitude to the emperor and Empress Masako as well as her grandparents -- former Emperor Akihito and former Empress Michiko -- for "respecting my feelings and quietly watching" the situation...
Princess Mako sees marriage as 'necessary,' but date undecided - The Mainichi
Princess Mako, the niece of Japanese Emperor Naruhito, and Kei Komuro, her boyfriend from university days, said Friday their marriage is a "necessary choice" for the couple, but the date of their wedding is still undecided.

"It is still difficult to announce something specific at this time, but we will consult our families in order to go ahead with the marriage," the two said in their statement released by the Imperial Household Agency.

[...]
ETA: Princess Mako says marriage plan is still on despite delay : The Asahi Shimbun
...The series of ceremonial rituals for Fumihito to officially become crown prince was completed earlier this month.

Mako said in the statement she thought this would be an opportune time to express her thoughts on the marriage plan and that she received approval from her parents to do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: eya
Last edited:
I do have to give them credit for not letting everything break them apart. I hope they can set a date for a wedding in the nearish future, even if it's a smaller celebration than it might otherwise be.

I am very glad they still intend to marry. When does Kei Kumoro finish his internship and bar exams?
I don't know about the internship but the New York bar exams are administered twice a year in February and July. Assuming Kei Komuro graduates in May 2021, the next bar exam opportunities are July 27-28, 2021 and February 22-23, 2022

https://www.nybarexam.org/ExamDates/ExamDates.html

Mako made clear where her heart lies: She wants to get married : The Asahi Shimbun by Tomoko Saito
“For us, marriage is a necessary choice to live and honor our hearts.”

That comment, included in a written statement released Nov. 13 by Princess Mako regarding her delayed marriage plans to Kei Komuro, sounded to me like a “cry from the heart” that showed Mako, above all else, wanted to wed her college sweetheart.

[...]

Since the postponement announcement, Mako has reportedly suffered bouts of poor health because she fretted about her marriage. At the same time, when she has undertaken her tasks as a member of the imperial family, including official trips overseas, she has offered no glimpse of her inner turmoil or the state of her physical health.

Disciplining herself and maintaining a posture of always trying to do one’s best was I believe more than sufficient to recover the trust of her parents, Crown Prince Fumihito and Crown Princess Kiko, who had also at one time been very concerned about the marriage of their elder daughter.

The marriage between Fumihito and Kiko was a love match in every sense. I have covered the couple from the time they first met in university until their wedding ceremony.

I know based on that experience that their own path to marriage was hardly a smooth one. But they were able to overcome any difficulties because they understood each other so well and probably did not have secrets from each other.

That is the primary reason Fumihito and Kiko were so puzzled and deeply concerned when Mako informed them that she had no prior inkling of the financial problems surrounding the Komuro family that surfaced through media reports.

[...]

At the same time, I have heard that over the past two years Mako has repeatedly talked with her parents to directly address the worries and doubts they harbor.

[...]

Mako and Komuro again expressed their strong intention to marry with wording in the statement that said, “We want to move forward toward marriage.”

They added that Mako’s parents had also expressed their understanding.

As a reporter who has long covered the imperial family, I want to warmly wish that the young couple's dream comes true.
I'm still waiting for the IHA to update their website but Kyodo reports the agency explained that Crown Prince and Crown Princess Akishino "will respect the feelings of Mako and Kei Komuro regarding their marriage."

Last edited:
Japan crown prince accepts daughter's long-delayed marriage - Nikkei Asia
[...] "If they truly want it, then I should respect that as her parent," said Akishino, who turns 55 on Monday, in a news conference ahead of his birthday. At the same time, he said the couple has not done enough to create a "situation where many people would congratulate them."

The couple postponed their formal engagement in February 2018 after reports of financial trouble involving Komuro's mother and her former fiance.

[...]

In the news conference, Akishino noted that Article 24 of Japan's constitution states that "marriage shall be based only on the mutual consent of both sexes" and said that "I cannot say otherwise."

[...]

In a November 2018 news conference, Akishino said that if the two want to marry, "there should be an appropriate response" to the issue that made headlines.

The betrothal rite "cannot take place unless many people can accept and celebrate" it, he said.

At the latest news conference, Akishino asserted that this is still not the case, arguing that there must be action "in a visible form" to win over the public.

[...]

Reactions: eya
I have the feeling that prince Akishino don't wont his daughter to get married. I think he is more for being who he is a Imperial Prince of Japan. Status is maybe everything to him?. Maybe I let my dislike for him cloud my judgement. I don't know why I don't care for him, just can not warm up to him. Maybe someone can understand what I mean.

I too find I cannot warm to him. I never have as I have always thought him too arrogant and self-important. Unlike his brother, ther Emperor, whose warmth has always matched his Empress, I find Akishino cool and distant and with the birth of a son cementing his future, I believe the status of his daughter's intended fiance falls far short of his standards for acceptance. This latest statement leaves us little choice but to accept that while he cannot prevent the marriage, he sees no reason to celebrate it, not now and possibly not ever since the Act showing his consent was not required was quoted.

I think the only way he could sound less enthusiastic is if he was outright saying he had been hoping she would break it off and find someone else. Which he basically did anyway by bringing up the fact that the constitution doesn't allow him to forbid it.

Is there more the couple could do to prove their sincerity to the public? It's difficult in a "he said, they said" situation to prove anything, especially when a (former) family member is involved.

Does he want them to announce they'll forgo the taxpayer funded gift/dowry or at least accept a lower amount. Promise to reimburse Kei Komoro's mother's ex boyfriend?

I'm not Japanese and I know the attitude may be very different there and there are things I have missed about this situation, but I'm at least a little impressed that they're still together and want to get married and in 2020 that is something.

I think the only way he could sound less enthusiastic is if he was outright saying he had been hoping she would break it off and find someone else. Which he basically did anyway by bringing up the fact that the constitution doesn't allow him to forbid it.

[...]

I'm not Japanese and I know the attitude may be very different there and there are things I have missed about this situation, but I'm at least a little impressed that they're still together and want to get married and in 2020 that is something.

My thoughts exactly. One question in my mind is that if Kei is the social-climbing gold-digger that his critics make him out to be, then are there no other well-off women in Japan or in New York who he could have married without the long delay, paparazzi intrusion, social media firestorm, and public relations ordeal?

Clearly, one trait shared by father and daughter is their strong will.

Is there more the couple could do to prove their sincerity to the public? It's difficult in a "he said, they said" situation to prove anything, especially when a (former) family member is involved.

Does he want them to announce they'll forgo the taxpayer funded gift/dowry or at least accept a lower amount. Promise to reimburse Kei Komoro's mother's ex boyfriend?

I wonder about that as well, particularly since it's not clear he would have the funds to reimburse his former "stepfather" (if the criticisms that he is not up to providing a standard of living suitable for an ex-royal are any guide). As well as refusing or reducing the dowry, I suppose he could make some sort of apology for not disclosing to the public that his family had financial problems when the engagement was first announced. Beyond that, I'm curious as to what he realistically could have done up to this point without betraying his mother or violating her privacy.

I too find I cannot warm to him. I never have as I have always thought him too arrogant and self-important. Unlike his brother, ther Emperor, whose warmth has always matched his Empress, I find Akishino cool and distant and with the birth of a son cementing his future, I believe the status of his daughter's intended fiance falls far short of his standards for acceptance. This latest statement leaves us little choice but to accept that while he cannot prevent the marriage, he sees no reason to celebrate it, not now and possibly not ever since the Act showing his consent was not required was quoted.
Crown Prince Akishino's comments about his brother in 2004 always bothered me. Kei Komuro seemed an acceptable son-in-law until the money dispute surfaced. Akishino probably hoped time and distance would naturally break up the couple. Unfortunately for him, Mako's desire to marry remains firm so the standoff continues.
[...]

I'm impressed by the couple's resolve as well. 2+ years separated and still committed. The only way forward is to repay the debt to the mother's ex-fiance (or at least agree to a payment plan) and Kei gets a job.
My thoughts exactly. One question in my mind is that if Kei is the social-climbing gold-digger that his critics make him out to be, then are there no other well-off women in Japan or in New York who he could have married without the long delay, paparazzi intrusion, social media firestorm, and public relations ordeal?

Clearly, one trait shared by father and daughter is their strong will.

I wonder about that as well, particularly since it's not clear he would have the funds to reimburse his former "stepfather" (if the criticisms that he is not up to providing a standard of living suitable for an ex-royal are any guide). As well as refusing or reducing the dowry, I suppose he could make some sort of apology for not disclosing to the public that his family had financial problems when the engagement was first announced. Beyond that, I'm curious as to what he realistically could have done up to this point without betraying his mother or violating her privacy.
Yeah, I don't believe Kei is a social-climbing, gold-digger. If he was such a cunning person, he would have anticipated trouble from his "stepfather" and fixed it before the engagement became public. I do think his mother Kayo had difficulties after Kei's father died and leaned too heavily on her boyfriend.

Refusing or reducing the dowry will help but the debt still needs to be addressed. There's also the "kojo" complication if the government passes the working-married-princess proposal. There's so much negativity for a dowry, the couple's critics won't want a "kojo" princess Mako where Kei would benefit.

ETA: Hopefully, Kei is on track to graduate from law school in 2021 and passes the NY bar exam. Then, he needs a job. Save up some money (repay former "stepfather"? Kayo should contribute!). I'm guessing another 1-2 year wait for the couple.

Last edited:
I read about Princess Mako and Kei Komuro’s situation for the first time today, and immediately fell down a rabbit hole of fascination and bewilderment. This thread has been really informative. So thank you!

I have many questions.

How restricted is Princess Mako’s life, as a member of the Imperial family? Would she have been able to visit Kei in New York, go on vacation with him, or spend the night at his apartment? I read that the media has tracked the duration of their visits to each other at times, but I hope that only happens occasionally, and that the royal household gives her a fair bit of freedom in her daily life. The IHA sounds awful and oppressive though, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they have surveillance on her and restrict her movements.

I saw some reports that Kei’s law firm helped pay for his law education. Is that common in Japan? I wonder if he could figure out a way to avoid going back to them and stay in New York. That seems like the best option for their happiness in married life - get far away from Japan’s tabloids & hate.

The media attention around Kei’s travel to New York was insane. I watched the videos of media following him in the airport repeatedly. All that attention was on the other side of security, so those people bought tickets! That said, it seems like the IHA must’ve arranged the press attention for his flights and arrival at school. How else would media have known when he was flying, or exactly when he was arriving for his first day of school? Still, what a circus.

I hope the Japanese people generally support the couple. The people against their match must be classist, conservative trolls, but of course trolls are the ones who make noise. It’s crazy that the government is helping to set up road blocks to their getting married; don’t they want to encourage young people to get married and have kids? If they do, they should hold up Princess Mako as an example and celebrate her love story and marriage.

And boy, the crown prince sounds like a true ass. His statements throughout this are insane. My favorite is when he told the media that he hadn’t had the opportunity to speak with his daughter about her engagement but that he’d advice her X. She lives in his house (palace?)! Do they really not talk to each other ever?

Princess Mako needs to get out of there! Move to the States and go on the public speaking circuit. Post one Ted Talk of her giving a speech about her experience delaying her marriage for 7+ years and she’d be a viral sensation with plenty of offers. And Kei seems like a very straight-laced guy who is determined to earn a good living.

Based on her dad’s statement today (“I have to approve their marriage because it’s in the constitution, but a formal engagement is another thing...”) shows that she’s probably not getting any money on her marriage anyway. So cut and run, and be happy.

I read about Princess Mako and Kei Komuro’s situation for the first time today, and immediately fell down a rabbit hole of fascination and bewilderment. This thread has been really informative. So thank you!

I have many questions.

How restricted is Princess Mako’s life, as a member of the Imperial family? Would she have been able to visit Kei in New York, go on vacation with him, or spend the night at his apartment? I read that the media has tracked the duration of their visits to each other at times, but I hope that only happens occasionally, and that the royal household gives her a fair bit of freedom in her daily life. The IHA sounds awful and oppressive though, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they have surveillance on her and restrict her movements.

I saw some reports that Kei’s law firm helped pay for his law education. Is that common in Japan? I wonder if he could figure out a way to avoid going back to them and stay in New York. That seems like the best option for their happiness in married life - get far away from Japan’s tabloids & hate.

The media attention around Kei’s travel to New York was insane. I watched the videos of media following him in the airport repeatedly. All that attention was on the other side of security, so those people bought tickets! That said, it seems like the IHA must’ve arranged the press attention for his flights and arrival at school. How else would media have known when he was flying, or exactly when he was arriving for his first day of school? Still, what a circus.

I hope the Japanese people generally support the couple. The people against their match must be classist, conservative trolls, but of course trolls are the ones who make noise. It’s crazy that the government is helping to set up road blocks to their getting married; don’t they want to encourage young people to get married and have kids? If they do, they should hold up Princess Mako as an example and celebrate her love story and marriage.

And boy, the crown prince sounds like a true ass. His statements throughout this are insane. My favorite is when he told the media that he hadn’t had the opportunity to speak with his daughter about her engagement but that he’d advice her X. She lives in his house (palace?)! Do they really not talk to each other ever?

Princess Mako needs to get out of there! Move to the States and go on the public speaking circuit. Post one Ted Talk of her giving a speech about her experience delaying her marriage for 7+ years and she’d be a viral sensation with plenty of offers. And Kei seems like a very straight-laced guy who is determined to earn a good living.

Based on her dad’s statement today (“I have to approve their marriage because it’s in the constitution, but a formal engagement is another thing...”) shows that she’s probably not getting any money on her marriage anyway. So cut and run, and be happy.

I also feel sad for Mako. I fear that she and her love is trapped in a hopeless limbo that the shrinking imperial family have no desire to ever solve... It’s like the imperial household have woken up in the fiftyeleventh hour realizing that they are running out of members...and solving it by preventing the young females in the family from marrying by love - instead of changing the rules to allow them to marry and keep their title and status...

We are not talking about a modern royal court here à la Netherlands or any of the scandinavian countries.... We are talking about the worlds most conservative still existing royal court and government - whose continued refusal to put women in the line of sucession and even refusal to allow women to keep their royal status after having married a commoner......is on a ”straight” path to wipe out itself with a line of sucession consisting of 3 persons, including one 14 year old child on whose shoulders the future of the entire dynasty rests, and including the 85 year old, ailing and childless Prince Masahito...... Crown Prince Akishino has never tried to hide his happiness over fathering a son so the immediate sucession line in due course will tip over to his family..... His public critisism of his own brother when Naruhito asked the media to back off and leave Masako alone when she was heavily depressed from the constant pressure of failing to give birth to a son - says a lot about who Crown Prince Akishino really are...

Last edited:
I also feel sad for Mako. I fear that she and her love is trapped in a hopeless limbo that the shrinking imperial family have no desire to ever solve... It’s like the imperial household have woken up in the fiftyeleventh hour realizing that they are running out of members...and solving it by preventing the young females in the family from marrying by love - instead of changing the rules to allow them to marry and keep their title and status...

We are not talking about a modern royal court here à la Netherlands or any of the scandinavian countries.... We are talking about the worlds most conservative still existing royal court and government - whose continued refusal to put women in the line of sucession and even refusal to allow women to keep their royal status after having married a commoner......is on a ”straight” path to wipe out itself with a line of sucession consisting of 3 persons, including one 14 year old child on whose shoulders the future of the entire dynasty rests, and including the 85 year old, ailing and childless Prince Masahito...... Crown Prince Akishino has never tried to hide his happiness over fathering a son so the immediate sucession line in due course will tip over to his family..... His public critisism of his own brother when Naruhito asked the media to back off and leave Masako alone when she was heavily depressed from the constant pressure of failing to give birth to a son - says a lot about who Crown Prince Akishino really are...

I wonder if Mako and Kako want to stay princesses. I saw Princess Kako was pretty blunt at one point about how she wanted her sister to marry and be happy and people shouldn’t listen to all the lies in the press. I’d imagine it’s hard - growing up in the imperial family is rather like growing up in a fundamentalist family, in that you’re separated from the outside world, taught to be submissive, and on some level can’t imagine living any other type of life - but I could imagine those young women looking at their situations and deciding that being royal and under the thumb of the IHA has more negatives than positives for them.

Hisahito may have some power to create reforms, at least until he fathers a son. He can threaten to leave the imperial family himself and not become emperor, and then the imperial family would literally die out. It’s a truly unique bargaining chip.

But then, who knows. I have no way to imagine what Hisahito’s upbringing is like or what type of person he’ll turn out to be.

I think the crown prince said exactly how he felt over the years. As traditionalist he was happy his daughter will marry but then an issue came up unexpectedly and Kei didn't handle it well in his opinion. Its natural that he wants his daughter to marry someone the public will warm up to and encourage.

At this point since the couple are still together it will look bad for him to refuse the marriage. I find his statement that his consent is not needed legally is weird!! did his daughter threaten to elope or did his brother the emperor threaten to give the couple his consent w/o his the bride father consent?!

About Kei and the princess love story: its clear she loves him but his side will only be clear after marriage. As Middle East girl I find it hard to accept that a poor guy with no financial support proposed to a princess without ulterior motive. How would he support her for the rest of their life, he does not have the money even for official ceremony gifts!!

Marrying a princess is not about the money only, he will climb classes and get connections, evident by his studies in US which his firm suddenly decided to sponsor.

About Kei and the princess love story: its clear she loves him but his side will only be clear after marriage. As Middle East girl I find it hard to accept that a poor guy with no financial support proposed to a princess without ulterior motive. How would he support her for the rest of their life, he does not have the money even for official ceremony gifts!!

Marrying a princess is not about the money only, he will climb classes and get connections, evident by his studies in US which his firm suddenly decided to sponsor.

It’s interesting how our cultural backgrounds color our views. As an American, it doesn’t seem weird to me that a guy would propose to someone before he’s earned a lot of money. They’re adults; they can figure it out. It’s not like olden-days where a man needed strong finances from the get-go because there was no birth control and a couple would immediately start having lots of kids.

I bet the official ceremony gifts cost a lot of money. It’s crazy that the imperial family expects a man to undergo this ceremony AND pay for it.

I see the situation as full of negatives for Kei. He can’t go anywhere or do anything without the risk of a photo being taken; his mother’s reputation has been dragged through the mud; and he and his family have dealt with constant attacks. The details about his father’s and grandfather’s deaths being made public must be especially hard. I look at that and think, wow, he must really love her. But maybe status is also important to him.

I don’t know what impact, if any, his royal connections had on his law school acceptance. Fordham is a good school, but not top tier, and so they attract better students by offering full-ride merit scholarships. I could imagine Kei earned his spot. I also know that most LLM degree students are sponsored to attend by their home-country law firms, but generally after they’ve been lawyers. I don’t know of a law firm helping to pay for someone’s entire law degree in the US. But really, he would just need help with living expenses, since he has a full-ride scholarship. It could be his law firm just gave him a bonus when he left. We have no idea.

When Kei gave an impromptu press conference at his law firm when it came out that they were going to publicly announce their engagement, it sounded like he didn’t expect all the hoopla, and he apologized to his boss for not giving him advance warning about the engagement. So it sounds like he wasn’t professionally relying on his connection with the imperial family before the engagement announcement.

It might be Simply that It comes down to the the family wanting their Princess supported the way she always has been. Japan is an Incredibly expensive place to live an upperclass lifestyle in and if they want children it gets more expensive still And it’s taken for granted the man must provide . A newbie Lawyer and one with scandal in his family even is probably very worrying to them.

It might be Simply that It comes down to the the family wanting their Princess supported the way she always has been. Japan is an Incredibly expensive place to live an upperclass lifestyle in and if they want children it gets more expensive still And it’s taken for granted the man must provide . A newbie Lawyer and one with scandal in his family even is probably very worrying to them.

I think you’re right on their mentality, but I disagree with it. She’s 29 years old and knows what standard of living Kei can provide. If she’s decided that she’d rather not live an upper-class lifestyle and instead be married to him, that should be respected.

When thinking about all this, is anyone else reminded of the conversation about long engagements in Jane Austen’s novel Persuasion?

"That is precisely what I was going to observe," cried Mrs Croft. "I would rather have young people settle on a small income at once, and have to struggle with a few difficulties together, than be involved in a long engagement. I always think that no mutual--"

"Oh! dear Mrs Croft," cried Mrs Musgrove, unable to let her finish her speech, "there is nothing I so abominate for young people as a long engagement. It is what I always protested against for my children. It is all very well, I used to say, for young people to be engaged, if there is a certainty of their being able to marry in six months, or even in twelve; but a long engagement--"

"Yes, dear ma'am," said Mrs Croft, "or an uncertain engagement, an engagement which may be long. To begin without knowing that at such a time there will be the means of marrying, I hold to be very unsafe and unwise, and what I think all parents should prevent as far as they can."

I think the crown prince said exactly how he felt over the years. As traditionalist he was happy his daughter will marry but then an issue came up unexpectedly and Kei didn't handle it well in his opinion. Its natural that he wants his daughter to marry someone the public will warm up to and encourage.

At this point since the couple are still together it will look bad for him to refuse the marriage. I find his statement that his consent is not needed legally is weird!! did his daughter threaten to elope or did his brother the emperor threaten to give the couple his consent w/o his the bride father consent?!

To me that looked like he was saying he wanted to refuse it but couldn't because the constitution didn't let him, but maybe you're right.

I suppose Mako must have thought about the fact that they may not have as much money as she is used to. Maybe she is/was counting on the dowry? Otherwise it must not matter to her and she's not in the first flush of love with Kei either.

It's very difficult for a Japanese Princess to marry at all it seems. First they have to be willing to renounce everything they grew up with (officially speaking) with no option (yet) of continuing to work for the family and then the man has to be rich enough to support her as well as willing to go through this incredible scrutiny when he could theoretically marry someone else and not have to deal with everything.

I wonder if Akishino has laid out a private path for them to follow ie graduate and get a job and some savings, agree to pay back the money in full or a payment plan, accept a lower amount of dowry and THEN you can marry or not. And if they've rejected that and are holding out for the terms they had before this blew up.

Neither side is actually mentioning a plan in public at least, just reiterating the stalemate status quo. Maybe both sides are being stubborn and holding out for different things.

They've known each other since University and have been engaged for three years, it doesn't seem like she's suddenly going to turn around and fall in love or even in a mutual like relationship with someone her father approves of and if it doesn't get sorted out soon then all that's going to happen is the situation will get worse and everyone more miserable.

Last edited:
It’s still a very traditional conservative culture in many ways and not a little patriarchal to be realistic. The Imperial family More so. Getting family approval and pleasing the in-laws, employers and elders is taken very seriously

It’s interesting how our cultural backgrounds color our views. As an American, it doesn’t seem weird to me that a guy would propose to someone before he’s earned a lot of money. They’re adults; they can figure it out. It’s not like olden-days where a man needed strong finances from the get-go because there was no birth control and a couple would immediately start having lots of kids.

I bet the official ceremony gifts cost a lot of money. It’s crazy that the imperial family expects a man to undergo this ceremony AND pay for it.

I see the situation as full of negatives for Kei. He can’t go anywhere or do anything without the risk of a photo being taken; his mother’s reputation has been dragged through the mud; and he and his family have dealt with constant attacks. The details about his father’s and grandfather’s deaths being made public must be especially hard. I look at that and think, wow, he must really love her. But maybe status is also important to him.

I don’t know what impact, if any, his royal connections had on his law school acceptance. Fordham is a good school, but not top tier, and so they attract better students by offering full-ride merit scholarships. I could imagine Kei earned his spot. I also know that most LLM degree students are sponsored to attend by their home-country law firms, but generally after they’ve been lawyers. I don’t know of a law firm helping to pay for someone’s entire law degree in the US. But really, he would just need help with living expenses, since he has a full-ride scholarship. It could be his law firm just gave him a bonus when he left. We have no idea.

When Kei gave an impromptu press conference at his law firm when it came out that they were going to publicly announce their engagement, it sounded like he didn’t expect all the hoopla, and he apologized to his boss for not giving him advance warning about the engagement. So it sounds like he wasn’t professionally relying on his connection with the imperial family before the engagement announcement.
And at the end of it, the princess is kicked out of the family :whistling: So, it isn't that he is joining the imperial family either.

So yes, I agree with you. It seems they really love each other and are willing to go through a lot of hardship - brought on to them by the bride's parents (according to Mako her uncle, aunt and grandparents do support her!), the Imperial Household and some of the media - just to be together. The empress refused at least two times before she accepted the emperor's marriage proposal, so it seems the Japanese are very much aware that being (somewhat) part of the imperial family is not something to be envied at all.

Welcome Savannahs and loool! :flowers:

Regarding restrictions for Mako: She can travel within Japan and royals are given a degree of privacy. IHA police kept a discreet distance when Mako and Kei dated. Despite some photos of Mako and Kako during their university days and rare off-duty photos, Japan's royals are generally left alone. Tabloids knew Mako had a serious boyfriend by 2016 but didn’t reveal his face until the engagement news. Occasionally, tabloids feature royals off-duty such as Princess Tsuguko dining out in late 2019 / early 2020 and Princess Mako’s mini-vacation to Hakone with friends in 2018. Traveling outside of Japan will be difficult. Mako can't simply fly to NY and spend the summer with Kei. Weekly magazines generally report Mako and Kako do NOT want to stay in the Imperial family. They and all born-princesses have been raised under the expectation they'd leave the Imperial family on marriage and understand the consequences. Mako and Kako allegedly look forward to lives as private citizens. The women may not actually welcome the "kojo" post-marriage princess proposal.

Another point to remember is that Mako and Kei's marriage plans were leaked. I don't know when they actually planned to announce. At the time, Kei was working as a paralegal and while changing jobs is happening more in Japan, it's still a place where many people stay at a company for life or at least 10+ years. Mako also works part-time at the University of Tokyo’s Intermediatheque Museum. It's reasonable to think they planned to work a few years, save up, Kei gets promoted / raises, and announce their engagement. The leak forced them into the public earlier than anticipated. Naturally, 26-year-old Kei Komuro’s finances would be weaker than older grooms Yoshiki Kuroda (40) and Kei Moriya (32). The first home could be modest, the Kurodas lived in a "1LDK" apartment - a flat with one bedroom, one dining room and one kitchen - before moving to a larger home.

Most Japanese do not follow the Imperial family and initial reaction was positive for the couple’s marriage. The debt dispute as soured public perception especially regarding the dowry. There are questions about what type of people the Komuro family associates with? Why weren’t Mako’s parents more involved? Didn’t they ask basic questions about their daughter’s boyfriend/his family or marriage plan? Background check?

After buying an apartment, little money left, says former royal: The Asahi Shimbun
[...] Q: What is the imperial house economy law?

A: The law governs the imperial family’s finances and financial affairs. The basis for a lump sum payment is to “provide financial resources to help a former royal maintain their dignity.”

It is, so to speak, a “dowry.” Calculating the upper limit of the amount is set under the imperial house economy law and another relevant law. Up to 10 times the allowance assigned to a member of the house of a prince by the government will be paid tax-free as a onetime payment.

Q: When Mako gets married, how much will she be paid?

A: It will be up to 152.5 million yen ($1.47 million). But the exact amount will be decided before her marriage at a meeting of Imperial Household Economy Council, which comprises the prime minister and other senior government officials and approved later by the Cabinet. Given the maximum amounts paid in past cases, Mako’s allowance will very likely follow precedent.

Q: How does the public view these payments?

A: Criticism has arisen because the payments are funded by taxpayers, and this has been conveyed to the government and the Imperial Household Agency. But officials close to the agency contend that the amount is not unreasonably high, given the circumstances of the imperial family. They argue that it is difficult for imperial family members to hone professional skills to prepare for a career in the private sector because they had to devote themselves to official activities due to their position. In addition, they do not possess assets such as property, according to the officials.

Ensuring the protection of former royals is also an issue. Takako Shimazu, a daughter of the late Emperor Hirohito who married a commoner, became the target of attempted abduction. Securing a secure home for a former royal is an important matter.

[...]

Prisma, you are a wealth of knowledge, thank you! I particularly appreciate the links. It looks like Mako and Kei were riding public transportation together in 2016; it’s great she has sufficient freedom to do that.

Traveling outside of Japan will be difficult. Mako can't simply fly to NY and spend the summer with Kei.

Why is it hard for them to travel abroad? It seems like traveling abroad gives the English royals more freedom, and they’re generally able to do it without anyone knowing. I’d think the Japanese imperial family would regularly escape to other countries where no one knows or cares who they are.

Also, a general question: how important is the princesses’ virginity, or the perception of virginity? When I think “conservative,” I think of Victorian mores. I’ve read that Japan is much more liberal about sex than conservative western societies, but then the examples I read are all about male sexuality, not female.

Prisma, you are a wealth of knowledge, thank you! I particularly appreciate the links. It looks like Mako and Kei were riding public transportation together in 2016; it’s great she has sufficient freedom to do that.

Why is it hard for them to travel abroad? It seems like traveling abroad gives the English royals more freedom, and they’re generally able to do it without anyone knowing. I’d think the Japanese imperial family would regularly escape to other countries where no one knows or cares who they are.

Also, a general question: how important is the princesses’ virginity, or the perception of virginity? When I think “conservative,” I think of Victorian mores. I’ve read that Japan is much more liberal about sex than conservative western societies, but then the examples I read are all about male sexuality, not female.
You're welcome!

I believe the difficulties are their public status, security considerations, optics, and probably cost. The Cabinet also approves foreign travel plans even for education such as Princess Akiko of Mikasa going to Oxford. The Imperial household website includes private trips and study abroad in the Overseas Visits section. How often do the senior/working English royals travel privately abroad? I thought they mostly stay local.

Where would Japan's royals go, keep costs down, and maintain good PR? Nearby China and South Korea are off limits since both countries have poor relations with Japan. No Japanese royal has officially visited Russia although Princess Takamado privately visited in 2018 for the World Cup. Other Asian countries, Europe, North and South America are far away and would be expensive. Frequent personal travel abroad is bad optics. The Imperial family has several villas for holidays. The media and public usually leave royals alone. There's also the Japanese work culture. I think when Naruhito was Crown Prince, he had 1 spring and 2 summer holidays, typically 7-10 days each. There's not an extended summer or winter break.

The Imperial Household is a conservative institution. Females (and males to a certain extent) have to at least maintain the appearance of virginity/chastity/upright moral behavior. Partying, clubbing, drinking, casual relationships, etc. would be risky. Princess Tsuguko had a "wild" reputation during her time at Edinburgh and allegedly Princess Hisako had to often retrieve her eldest daughter from Roppongi clubs. There was controversy when tabloids published clearly private photos of Mako and Kako during their university days. Mako was on a ski or school trip and the room had beer cans. Kako was out with friends and she was wearing casual clothes (I think her bra straps showed or something?). No one would care in Western countries.

How often do the senior/working English royals travel privately abroad? I thought they mostly stay local.

Where would Japan's royals go, keep costs down, and maintain good PR? Nearby China and South Korea are off limits since both countries have poor relations with Japan. No Japanese royal has officially visited Russia although Princess Takamado privately visited in 2018 for the World Cup. Other Asian countries, Europe, North and South America are far away and would be expensive. Frequent personal travel abroad is bad optics. The Imperial family has several villas for holidays. The media and public usually leave royals alone. There's also the Japanese work culture. I think when Naruhito was Crown Prince, he had 1 spring and 2 summer holidays, typically 7-10 days each. There's not an extended summer or winter break.

The Windsors go abroad a lot. Of course we only know what gets reported in the papers, and usually they slip away without anyone ever knowing. William proposed to Kate at a favorite retreat of his in Kenya, where he’d vacationed many times. After only dating a few weeks, Harry and Meghan met up in Botswana and did a safari together. They traveled together a ton, and of course he went and stayed at her house in Canada several times in the first months of their relationship without the press ever finding out. William and Kate go with Kate’s family to Mustique most winters for a week. All of them go skiing in the Alps at least once every winter. Prince Charles has a house in Romania that he’s visited regularly over the years - I only know that because I’ve traveled in Romania and they’re very proud of the connection; his visits aren’t reported anywhere. I think they bring their security with them (except in France - after Diana’s death, the French always provide security to the British royals in the country). It must be very expensive, but I don’t know that anyone really thinks about the cost of security.

You must be right that it’s a difference in work ethic - though how hard is the imperial family really working? I’d be curious how many days per year each member has a royal engagement or meeting of some sort. But perception is important. And it looks like a lot of the princesses work part time at outside jobs, which would keep them in Tokyo.

The British royals have a very relaxed schedule much of the year. The hardest worker is Princess Anne, who will do many events in a day and consistently carries out royal duties on 180 days/year (interestingly, she doesn’t go abroad much - she and her husband sail around Scotland on their own sailboat for three weeks every summer, plus spend time with her mom at her different UK palaces). Charles has been equalling his sister in work in recent years, but the rest of the family work a lot less.

I assumed the Japanese imperial family had a favorite tropical island somewhere that they escaped to. But you’re right that Japan’s relationship with other Asian Pacific nations, and the role of the imperial family, may make those sorts of casual holidays complicated.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Savannahs!

Publicly, I'd say Princess Hisako is the busiest. Unfortunately, many meetings and ceremonies at the Imperial Palace and residences aren't publicized. The Emperor and Akishino families' schedules are posted on the IHA website and some statistics are reported in birthday press releases. Private activities such as Princess Akiko's Shinyusha workshops aren't included.

Some developments since Princess Mako's statement reaffirming her plan to marry.

November 17: The former fiancé says via his agent that "the financial problem (between Kayo and myself) and marriage of Mako and Kei are separate issues. I am not in a position to comment.” He feels uncomfortable that it is an obstacle to the marriage." [Jiji]

November 30: Following the release of Mako’s statement, the former fiancé is willing to end negotiations with the Komuro family without asking for a refund according to his agent. So far, no progress has been made regarding the ~4 million yen. [Jiji]

Tabloids seem to be ignoring these developments and both the government and IHA have added pressure to the situation recently.

EDITORIAL | When Princess Mako Marries, It Should Be a Happy Event | JAPAN Forward (Please note: Japan Forward is conservative Sankei's English portal)
At a press conference on November 30, Chief Cabinet Secretary Katsunobu Kato indicated that the government wanted to keep an eye on her plans quietly from the sidelines, sensing that the Japanese people felt the same. He then offered his congratulations.

The editorial asserts
... It is Mr. Komuro’s responsibility to respond, fully taking into consideration the Crown Prince’s feelings as a father...

[...]

Were such proposals (2012 Noda administration proposal, not the new "kojo" princess plan) to be accepted and Princess Mako to remain a member of the Imperial Family, it would be necessary to hold an Imperial Household Council to grant approval for her marriage.

[…]

We should view the Crown Prince’s remarks, too, as being premised on the current Imperial House Law. It provides another reason why we should not rush to amend the law.
December 10: At a regular press conference, IHA grand steward Yasuhiko Nishimura said regarding the weekly magazines criticisms, “It’s extremely important for Mr. Komuro, including his agent, to be accountable. I think we can respond to criticism by giving a precise explanation for marriage.” [Sankei]

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Savannahs!

Publicly, I'd say Princess Hisako is the busiest. Unfortunately, many meetings and ceremonies at the Imperial Palace and residences aren’t publicized. The Emperor and Akishino families' schedules are posted on the IHA website and some statistics are reported in birthday press releases. Private activities such as Princess Akiko’s Shinyusha workshops aren’t included.

Some developments since Princess Mako’s statement reaffirming her plan to marry.

November 17: The former fiancé says via his agent that "the financial problem (between Kayo and myself) and marriage of Mako and Kei are separate issues. I am not in a position to comment.” He feels uncomfortable that it is an obstacle to the marriage." [Jiji]

November 30: Following the release of Mako’s statement, the former fiancé is willing to end negotiations with the Komuro family without asking for a refund according to his agent. So far, no progress as been made regarding the ~4 million yen. [Jiji]

Tabloids seem to be ignoring these developments and both the government and IHA have added pressure to the situation recently.

EDITORIAL | When Princess Mako Marries, It Should Be a Happy Event | JAPAN Forward (Please note: Japan Forward is conservative Sankei's English portal)

The editorial asserts
December 10: At a regular press conference, IHA grand steward Yasuhiko Nishimura said regarding the weekly magazines criticisms, “It’s extremely important for Mr. Komuro, including his agent, to be accountable. I think we can respond to criticism by giving a precise explanation for marriage.” [Sankei]
What kind of 'precise explanation for marriage' are they looking for? We love each other and want to spend the rest of our lives together? That seems to be what marriage is about... And I guess that's why Naruhito and Masako married; it clearly was NOT because Masako was interested in becoming empress; that's the part that she got but didn't seek.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom