The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-10-2020, 06:37 PM
Courtier

I don't think Prince Akishino really wants his daughter to get married?. If he could he would forbit it. His rank and standing within the Imperial family and the public, seem to mean everything to him. Now I am going out on a limb and say ,he would be the happiest if he would be the Emperor and not his brother. Title and being number 1,if that is everything to him, puts lots of stress on the family and it makes one bitter. I really hope I am wrong.

Old 12-10-2020, 06:40 PM
Majesty

Mako has right to have a happy family of her own with the man she loves.

Old 12-10-2020, 11:17 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL COUNTESS View Post
I don't think Prince Akishino really wants his daughter to get married?. If he could he would forbit it. His rank and standing within the Imperial family and the public, seem to mean everything to him. Now I am going out on a limb and say ,he would be the happiest if he would be the Emperor and not his brother. Title and being number 1,if that is everything to him, puts lots of stress on the family and it makes one bitter. I really hope I am wrong.
Real Countess, you have said that nicely. I agree with you all the way. Way, way back on this site, someone said the differences between the two brothers and animosity between them, is hard on their mother and not helping her health issues.

May I add the family of Prince Akishino does not appear to a happy one. The only smile is sometimes on his wife, his children seldom is ever smile. That is so sad.
Old 12-11-2020, 03:07 AM
Serene Highness

Well it seems many people are going out of their way to make it impossible for Mako to get married.

Did I just read that the ex fiance is willing to drop the money issue and everyone else is ignoring it?

I do understand that there are things that need to be sorted out and people are worried about financial mismanagement in Mako's future (and the Dowry, law school, job and possible Kojo title etc) but it seems that almost everyone is simply throwing up more criticism and barriers until it goes away.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisma View Post
Some developments since Princess Mako's statement reaffirming her plan to marry.

November 17: The former fiancé says via his agent that "the financial problem (between Kayo and myself) and marriage of Mako and Kei are separate issues. I am not in a position to comment.” He feels uncomfortable that it is an obstacle to the marriage." [Jiji]

November 30: Following the release of Mako’s statement, the former fiancé is willing to end negotiations with the Komuro family without asking for a refund according to his agent. So far, no progress has been made regarding the ~4 million yen. [Jiji]

Tabloids seem to be ignoring these developments and both the government and IHA have added pressure to the situation recently.
Prisma, thank you so much for the update!

I’m puzzled by the former fiancé. He created this mess in the first place by going to the tabloids and saying he was owed money. When Kei released a statement saying they’d resolved the issue, the fiancé responded publicly that it wasn’t resolved and he still wanted to be paid. So now, after years and multiple rounds of publicly blocking Kei’s marriage with his loan-talk, the fiancé does a complete 180, says he doesn’t want to be paid back and this situation has nothing to do with Kei - when the whole reason it was connected to Kei in the first place is because of the fiancé talking about it.

I think someone must have put a lot of pressure on the former fiancé to change his story, and it was probably the same person who arranged for Kei to be followed by paparazzi every step of the way from Japan to Fordham. But who did all of that? The Imperial Household don’t seem like fans of the guy, and they probably want all the princesses to remain unmarried. Did Mako secretly hire her own PR firm? Who has money and influence who supports the couple?
Old 12-20-2020, 01:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Well it seems many people are going out of their way to make it impossible for Mako to get married.

Did I just read that the ex fiance is willing to drop the money issue and everyone else is ignoring it?

I do understand that there are things that need to be sorted out and people are worried about financial mismanagement in Mako's future (and the Dowry, law school, job and possible Kojo title etc) but it seems that almost everyone is simply throwing up more criticism and barriers until it goes away.
The ex-fiance's reversal means nothing as he's changed his mind before. I think until there's some legal document from the ex-fiance confirming the debt does not need to be repaid and he won't bring it up in the future, the "he said, she said" saga will continue. Honestly, I wish Mako and Kei could give up the lump-sum payment, get married, and move on. Lawyer Kei should have better financial potential than paralegal Kei although nothing is certain, especially with the negative media attention and pandemic's impact on jobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannahs View Post
Prisma, thank you so much for the update!

I’m puzzled by the former fiancé. He created this mess in the first place by going to the tabloids and saying he was owed money. When Kei released a statement saying they’d resolved the issue, the fiancé responded publicly that it wasn’t resolved and he still wanted to be paid. So now, after years and multiple rounds of publicly blocking Kei’s marriage with his loan-talk, the fiancé does a complete 180, says he doesn’t want to be paid back and this situation has nothing to do with Kei - when the whole reason it was connected to Kei in the first place is because of the fiancé talking about it.

I think someone must have put a lot of pressure on the former fiancé to change his story, and it was probably the same person who arranged for Kei to be followed by paparazzi every step of the way from Japan to Fordham. But who did all of that? The Imperial Household don’t seem like fans of the guy, and they probably want all the princesses to remain unmarried. Did Mako secretly hire her own PR firm? Who has money and influence who supports the couple?
Fordham's academic calendar is online so it's easy for media anticipate Kei's appearance at orientation, etc. The Imperial Household did arrange for Mako's marriage and set dates for betrothal, Choken-no-Gi ceremony, and wedding until the financial dispute surfaced. There were also reports the temporary Akishino residence had to be adjusted quickly to make room for Mako since she was expected to be married by then.

Crown Princess Kiko is allegedly ordering the media and IHA to attack Kei Komuro so he'll give up the marriage.

On December 18th, the Imperial Household Agency refuted Shukan Shincho's articles in December 17 morning edition, titled "Move of Empress Emerita" and December 24 issue, titled "Ultimatum from Michiko to Kei Komuro and Kayo." The articles claim the Empress Emerita influenced the Grand Steward's remarks regarding Kei Komuro's accountability at the regular IHA press conference on December 10. Such reporting is untrue.

Recently, Grand Steward Yasuhiko Nishimura reported to the Emperor Emeritus and Empress Emerita regarding this year's supplementary budget where the Empress Emerita just listened to the report and made a statement regarding the health of the Imperial family. There is no story about Princess Mako of Akishino. As for the Grand Steward's remarks on December 10th, Nishimura expressed his own thoughts as grand steward in response to a press question. There is no fact he received instructions from the Empress Emerita or consulted with her.

The IHA has already issued rebuttals twice regarding weekly magazine coverage of Princess Mako of Akishino and Their Majesties the Emperor Emeritus and Empress Emerita have consistency refrained from making any remarks. Yet, there are various reports using the Empress Emerita. Their Majesties are deeply hurt by such news contrary to the facts. It is regrettable these actions continue as the Empress Emerita, who is 86 and had illness, is solely focused on the care of the Emperor Emeritus.

Source: IHA
Old 12-20-2020, 01:32 PM
Courtier

If this is all true. They hide their whatever behind a little smile. Somebody sure is a super big Bully. Show one face to the public and the world, show the real one to the family. Maybe she should just distance herself, marry the man and be happy. No one needs to worry about perception. if the Monarchy is abolished? Which I really hope does not happen, but bring it up in a conversation, see how this gets across to the ones, who feel they are more important then the Pss happiness.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:30 AM
Aristocracy

From Japan Times:
The public and private concerns of a princess in Japan

Quote:
Katada says the lingering pandemic adds anxiety to this toxic mix. Having lost income and maybe even their livelihoods, many people look upon Komuro as a lucky stiff, and lucky stiffs always invite enmity through no fault of their own. Interestingly, Katada, at the end of her analysis, seems to share this outlook, saying that neither Komuro nor his mother has yet to address the money issue “sincerely.” And now it seems that the Imperial Household Agency is saying Komuro must publicly explain the debt situation.

In its regular Koron forum on Dec. 1, the Asahi Shimbun commissioned several writers to address Mako’s dilemma, asking the self-indicting question: Why do we even want to talk about this? Nagoya University associate professor of history Hideya Kawanishi explained Crown Prince Akishino’s upbringing, which emphasized “individual free will.” As a parent and a beneficiary of the postwar Constitution, he wants his daughter to marry whom she wants, but he also must take into account the image and authority of the imperial family. It’s a conundrum, Kawanishi says, that will continue to present itself as long as “Japan uses human beings as its symbol.” The main problem is the media, which exploits the imperial family for its own ends without ever discussing the real meaning of the imperial system.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:13 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukari View Post

Hmm. Well the idea of using humans as national symbols and what that means is something every monarchy has to consider. And in Japan that will also mean grappling with the fact that women can't inherit and will leave the family after marriage. Effectively leaving the dynasty in the hands of a single member.

So they IHA say Kei and his mother haven't "explained" anything sufficiently? It's been years, haven't they had meetings and discussions about this? Is it really that complicated. I know in families often there will be no proof of a gift or loan one way or the other but surely once that was established a pathway could have been suggested.

Or is anything other than a statement by Kei that he either has 4 million Yen to hand over right now with thanks and apologies or that he's breaking off the engagement and apologising for even meeting Mako in the first place going to be not good enough until they run out the clock.

The people hoping to run Kei out so Mako can meet someone worthy of her have ensured it's going to be harder for her to find someone.

Again I get that this is a very different culture and I don't have the full context but neither side is backing down and this limbo isn't doing anyone any good.

If they got married and agreed to a smaller dowry and a private life (no Kojo title) and Kei proved willing to pay back the money in instalments starting before the marriage then wouldn't the scandal subside. Because Mako isn't realising he's a low born "lucky stiff" or out for what he can get going by her pronouncements.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Princess Mako's boyfriend expresses resolve to get married - Kyodo News
Quote:
The boyfriend of Princess Mako, niece of Japanese Emperor Naruhito, expressed his resolve to tie the knot with her in a statement released Thursday, vowing to "correct erroneous information" regarding a monetary dispute involving his mother.

[...]

The princess' boyfriend from university days, who has been studying at Fordham University's law school in New York since August 2018, said the 24-page document released via his lawyer is aimed at "making corrections as much as possible" with regard to the reports on the dispute.

"I believe some people may be feeling a sense of distrust due to my silence," he said in his second public comment on the matter.

In his first public statement issued in January 2019, Komuro admitted that his family had received financial assistance from the former fiance and pledged to "gain an understanding from him" about the situation. But his explanation failed to get much public support.

The princess' father Crown Prince Fumihito, 55, the younger brother of the emperor, said last November he approves of the couple's marriage, but urged the Komuros to make a visible effort to resolve the dispute.

In the latest document, Komuro said he believes a settlement through talks between his mother and the former fiance would be "the best choice," but efforts to bridge the gap over the problem through their negotiations between May 2019 and November 2020 "broke down."

Yasuhiko Nishimura, head of the Imperial Household Agency, said at a regular press conference Thursday that the statement was "explained very well" but that the "public will make their own assessment" when it came to gaining their understanding.

[...]
Japanese Mainichi uploaded the document which consisted of a 4-page summary and 24 page explanation in A4 size paper.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:11 PM
Heir Apparent

more details

Komuro Kei explains financial issue | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News
Quote:
...Komuro says that after the media reports, the two sides had talks, but that none have been held since the man said he no longer demanded money.

Komuro says he still feels gratitude to the man for his support, and that looking back now, he thinks they relied too much on the man's good intentions...
(Update) Komuro Shows Resolve to Marry Princess Mako - Jiji English
Quote:
... The statement detailed how Komuro's mother received financial aid from her former fiancé and negotiations held over the money.

In the statement, Komuro said he had kept silent about the scandal to protect the privacy of the mother's former fiancé and smooth negotiations with him...
"... the problem has not been resolved as he lost contact with the man in November last year ..."
Old 04-09-2021, 02:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Mako seeks public understanding over boyfriend's trouble - Kyodo News
Quote:
Princess Mako, a niece of Japanese Emperor Naruhito, has expressed hope a statement her boyfriend released the previous day to address a monetary dispute involving his mother will help gain more public understanding of his stance, her aide said Friday.

[...]

"I would appreciate if people could understand there were various circumstances (behind the dispute) by reading the document," Princess Mako was quoted as saying by an Imperial Household Agency official.

[...]
Princess Mako Seeks Understanding for Statement by Boyfriend | Nippon.com
Quote:
[...] Princess Mako's comments were released through the Imperial Household Agency, according to Takaharu Kachi, grand master of the Crown Prince's Household.

Crown Prince Akishino and Crown Princess Kiko appear to regard the statement as showing the Komuro family's efforts to resolve the problem in a tangible way, Kachi said. [...]
Komuro explains financial issues, resolve to wed Princess Mako : The Asahi Shimbun
Quote:
[...]

In the statement, Komuro disclosed detailed exchanges between his family and the former fiance over the issue. Komuro said he initially decided to remain silent about the matter because his family wanted to resolve it through discussions to protect the man’s privacy.

But Komuro said his family found it difficult to continue cordial discussions with the former fiance without denying or rebutting the man’s one-sided claims reported in weekly magazines and other media outlets.

Komuro said he decided to issue the statement after Fumihito told a news conference in November last year that the Komuro family needs to provide a “visible” response to the financial troubles to gain broader public support for the couple’s wedding intentions.

“I think he provided a very thorough explanation (in the statement),” Yasuhiko Nishimura, who heads the Imperial Household Agency, said at a news conference on April 8. “I was able to understand the facts and background behind their discussions.”
ETA: Crown Prince family's response to Komuro document | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News
Quote:
[...]

Kachi Takaharu is the top official in charge of the crown prince's family. He was speaking at a regular news conference on Friday. Komuro on Thursday released the document, in which he explains details of a financial issue involving his mother and her former fiance.

Kachi said Crown Prince and Princess Akishino seem to understand that Komuro has made an effort to make clear the various measures the Komuro family has taken to resolve the matter.

Kachi disclosed that Princess Mako had consultations with the Komuro family about how they should deal with the matter after media outlets reported on it, including the release of the latest document.

Kachi said he had heard that the princess's opinion was reflected in the decision by the Komuro family on how to resolve the matter. That's by talking properly with the mother's former fiance and gaining his understanding, rather than by handing him money without any dialogue.

[...]

As for postponed events for the wedding, Kachi said he believes that a decision on the timing will be explained at an appropriate time.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:43 PM
Serene Highness

At last he's made a statement! I'm hoping this means their engagement ceremonies can now continue.

What are the views from the greater Japanese public? Are they accepting of his statement?
Old 04-09-2021, 07:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Is there an English version available of the 4-page summary? While I don't think I would fully understand why all of this is such a hot topic and has prevented the two from marrying for several years, it might help to get a better perspective.

Isn't Kei expected to graduate in a few months? If so, is there any chance of a wedding in the fall?
Old 04-09-2021, 11:24 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Is there an English version available of the 4-page summary? While I don't think I would fully understand why all of this is such a hot topic and has prevented the two from marrying for several years, it might help to get a better perspective.

Isn't Kei expected to graduate in a few months? If so, is there any chance of a wedding in the fall?
The reason it is a big deal is that Princess Mako is the daughter of the Crown Prince, niece of an Emperor and sister of the future emperor. Also, Princess Mako will be receiving a large lump sum payment upon her marriage. If it perceived the Komuro family are financially inept, this will be a slight on the Imperial Family

I think Kei is now doing his bar exam in NY
Old 04-10-2021, 02:17 AM
Heir Apparent

No chance of wedding in the fall. The IHA's FY2021 budget request did not include the lump sum payment. Maybe some news in the fall/winter about engagement rituals.

Fordham's 2021 law diploma ceremony is scheduled for May 24
https://www.fordham.edu/info/30394/s...demic_calendar

If he's ready, then the NY bar exam is July 27-28, 2021. Otherwise, the next opportunity is February 2022. Graduation probably isn't enough. He'll need to find a job as I doubt Crown Prince and Princess Akishino will let Mako marry someone unemployed.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:38 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
No chance of wedding in the fall. The IHA's FY2021 budget request did not include the lump sum payment. Maybe some news in the fall/winter about engagement rituals.

Fordham's 2021 law diploma ceremony is scheduled for May 24
https://www.fordham.edu/info/30394/s...demic_calendar

If he's ready, then the NY bar exam is July 27-28, 2021. Otherwise, the next opportunity is February 2022. Graduation probably isn't enough. He'll need to find a job as I doubt Crown Prince and Princess Akishino will let Mako marry someone unemployed.
What are the chances of them moving to the US if they get married? Do you think it would be frowned upon?
Old 04-10-2021, 12:51 PM
Heir Apparent

I think it's possible although I'm not sure about a permanent move abroad. Yasuko Konoe (former Mikasa princess) moved to Geneva, Switzerland for 8 years for her husband's job. Takako Shimazu (former Princess Suga) lived in Washington D.C., US and Sydney, Australia for her husband's job postings as well.

Media usually leave ex-royals alone but Mako and Kei may enjoy being away for some years after the controversy surrounding their marriage.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I think it's possible although I'm not sure about a permanent move abroad. Yasuko Konoe (former Mikasa princess) moved to Geneva, Switzerland for 8 years for her husband's job. Takako Shimazu (former Princess Suga) lived in Washington D.C., US and Sydney, Australia for her husband's job postings as well.

Media usually leave ex-royals alone but Mako and Kei may enjoy being away for some years after the controversy surrounding their marriage.
Good to see that may be an option for them. I just hope they can now continue with the engagement and marriage ceremonies.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:25 PM

Baffled

I am shocked and baffled by the portrayal of Kei Komuro in this thread and very disappointed by the condescending characterization of the Japanese public, especially in this social climate. I hope readers are not relying on The Royal Forums as their main source of information on Princess Mako's engagement and will directly seek out Japanese sources.

Komuro first proposed to Princess Mako after just one year of dating while they were still undergraduate students. He was still attending graduate school when he last proposed and their (non)engagement was announced. He has no financial stability and has never committed to any form of employment long-term. He attended announcer's school to become a newscaster on his mother's ex-fiancé’s dime, then worked at MUFG Bank before quitting after less than 2 years. There have been allegations of bullying during his school years and a victim came forward. His former MUFG coworkers have also talked of his poor behavior and lack of responsibility.

Emails written by his mother to her ex-fiancé revealed that Mrs Komuro asked the ex-fiance to keep their common-law marriage a secret from the government and his co-workers, so she could continue to receive a survivor's pension. Emails have also shown her asking the ex-fiancé if she could "borrow" more money again for living expenses. A letter Mrs Komuro sent to the ex-fiancé in 2013 also proves that her son was well aware of the loan dispute despite previous claims that he was unaware of what was going on and that they owed no money. Screenshots of the emails and the letter were published in the press. The ex-fiancé not only covered Kei Komuro's announcer school tuition, but also paid for his university and foreign exchange program expenses.

After publishing that 28-page document about how he and his mother believed they did not receive a loan, Komuro is saying that he will return the money now. His planned engagement to Princess Mako was announced in 2017. Why did he not settle this matter years ago? Also, where is he getting the money?

Those are some but not all of the reasons why the Japanese public does not trust Kei Komuro. Had he proposed after he had achieved some financial stability, the public would have been far less suspicious of his intentions, but he cannot even financially support himself. Wouldn't you be concerned if your daughter or sister got engaged to someone who had to write a 28-page document to explain why he didn't think he needed to pay back and show gratitude to someone who covered his private educational expenses?

Komuro's representative has already said that he does not necessarily intend to become a lawyer, so it is premature to assume that Komuro will indeed be practicing law after Fordham.