A marriage between Prince Hisahito and Princess Aiko?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lox

Commoner
City
-
Country
Sweden
Is this something that might happen in the future?

Maybe this is a stupid thing even to consider, but I'm pretty sure that Hisahito and Aiko would have been forced to marry each other if the year was 1606, not 2006.

Lox said:

Maybe this is a stupid thing even to consider, but I'm pretty sure that Hisahito and Aiko would have been forced to marry each other if the year was 1606, not 2006.

I think, if it was 1606, this problem would not have exist, the Crown Prince would have taken another wife or take a concubine. Even if the Crown Prince didn't do eather one of the two, I don't think in 1606 Japan would have excepted an ruling Empress.. (even though Japan has known ruling Empresses, I believe 8 or something, please correct me if I'm wrong ;))

Princess Robijn said:
I think, if it was 1606, this problem would not have exist, the Crown Prince would have taken another wife or take a concubine. Even if the Crown Prince didn't do eather one of the two, I don't think in 1606 Japan would have excepted an ruling Empress.. (even though Japan has known ruling Empresses, I believe 8 or something, please correct me if I'm wrong ;))

You're correct Princess Robijn. From what I have been told by my professor, Japan has had eight empresses since from around 660 BC.

I don't think it's impossible. Indeed, the IHA might see it as a solution to a problem. Little Aiko gets to be an Empress and Hisahito gets to be an Emperor.

What about the blood? I mean they are very close related.

ewwww. Maybe it is immature to say that, but ewwww. They're cousins- it's just wrong.

Marriages between cousins is still legal in Japan, right? It's legal here in Sweden, anyway.

I think that a marriage between Aiko and Hisahito would be a nice solution to this problem, but ONLY if they really want it themselves. Forced marriages are no good at all.

Lox said:
Marriages between cousins is still legal in Japan, right? It's legal here in Sweden, anyway.

I think that a marriage between Aiko and Hisahito would be a nice solution to this problem, but ONLY if they really want it themselves. Forced marriages are no good at all.
Yes, there're no good at all, but remember that IHA can do anything:mad:

i guess it could happen but there is really nothing to accomplish if they did get married, there would have to be more change in the imperial succession laws instead of what might seem a "quick" fix. i dont think the idea should be seen as gross though, this stuff has happened in the past!

Doesnt it matter that Aiko is older than her intended? It's not so long that marriages with an older woman were frowned upon in Europe. Hmmm..., maybe not if it was about a throne - Mary Tudor and Philip of Spain come to mind, with Mary a first cousin of Philip's father and some years his senior...

I, for one, should like this marriage. There is many, many years I don't see a fully royal marriage. I'm not saying is bad to a royal to marry a commoner. It brings fresh blood to families and all...but a royal marrying a royal is almost a forgotten thing. And I should like to see a Prince marrying a Princesse...at least, time to time! :lol:

Vanesa.

:yuk: Although it would be wrong for this to happen...come on they are cousins for crying out loud!!! But considering what the IHA can and could do, unless something changes to limit their influences and allow women on the throne, I'll bet all my money on the IHA doing something as crazy, stupid, and disgusting as this.:furious:

No way. I don't see this happening. I know in the past there were arranged marriages between close cousins in almost all monarchies. But I think it will not happend in Japan. Both Akihito and Naruhito had wives who were commoners and marriages were no arranged.

I doubt that the IHA would be all that bothered; female royals seem to be superfluous to requirement, after all. As long as Prince Hisahito doesn't want to go and marry a blue-eyed blonde foreigner, I don't suppose he'll be expected to marry a Japanese royal. The IHA doesn't seem to have any particular fondness for the present Crown Prince and his family, after all.

Lox said:

I cant say yes or No .... maybe...:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Elspeth said:
I doubt that the IHA would be all that bothered; female royals seem to be superfluous to requirement, after all. As long as Prince Hisahito doesn't want to go and marry a blue-eyed blonde foreigner, I don't suppose he'll be expected to marry a Japanese royal. The IHA doesn't seem to have any particular fondness for the present Crown Prince and his family, after all.

I agree, I think their treatment of CPss Masako has been downright deplorable.

That said, I hope he DOES marry someone like that, and she looks like Paris Hilton. That oughta give them a right fright, no? :lol:

I agree, that back in the day, Japanese princes could only marry princesses. Heck, even most of the concubines had some imperial blood, didn't they? And even though the imperial family was bigger back then, I'm sure, that there had to be many marriages between first cousins. However, I don't think this has to happen to princess Aiko and prince Hisahito. Say what you want about the IHA, but I don't think even they could pull this off now in the 21rst century.

i don't think it's gonna happen...this is the 21st century not..the Edo period....marrage bethven cousins is ilegal in Japan i think...Say what you want about the IHA, but I don't think even they could pull this off now in the 21rst century.

pianohabebi said:
You're correct Princess Robijn. From what I have been told by my professor, Japan has had eight empresses since from around 660 BC.

Yes, In the history of Japan, there are eight empresses. But the problem is... some of them became the empresses when their sons were child. When their sons grew up, these empresses gave up the throne to their sons. The other empresses never get married, when they died, they passed the throne to their brother or cousin.

lotus said:
But the problem is... some of them became the empresses when their sons were child. When their sons grew up, these empresses gave up the throne to their sons. The other empresses never get married, when they died, they passed the throne to their brother or cousin.

So what's the problem!

I should like such a marriage! However, we must not push the young people to marry to each other. They must only marry IF they are in love...In mutual love I mean. All the "interest marriages" were a complete disaster, even if they seemed to be a great solution in the moment they were concerted.

Here, we must hear Princess Aiko and Prince Hisahito's opinions. That's for sure. :rolleyes:

Vanesa.

I don't think it will happen in this era, but who knows??? The crown prince of Thailand also married to his cousin.

Princess Robijn said:
So what's the problem!

I mean, In the history of Japan, every emperor is from paternal line. That's why some Japanese disapprove Princess Aiko become the Empress. If Princess Aiko become the Empress, and she get married, the throne line waill become maternal line.

lotus said:
I mean, In the history of Japan, every emperor is from paternal line. That's why some Japanese disapprove Princess Aiko become the Empress. If Princess Aiko become the Empress, and she get married, the throne line waill become maternal line.

Didn't you say "some of them became the empresses when their sons were child." Could that not happen to Princess Aiko and would that not be the same??

It would only be the same if she was married to a man who was a descendant of one of the branches of the royal family himself. If she had a son by a commoner, that son wouldn't be from the imperial family in the paternal line. And apparently the paternal line is the only one that counts, even though they're supposed to have descended from a goddess.

While I certainly don't hope that this is the outcome, it would not be inconceivable if it did. Within the small confines of the Imperial Palace Aiko and Hisahito may be raised with the definite intention of them marrying. With so little outside company, they could possibly fall in love with each other. The current situation with the Japanese throne has no precedent given the enormous task of holding to traditions while appeasing a modernizing population. The only "gross" factor arising out of such a marriage is our own recoiling at the thought of marrying and conceiving children with our own first cousins. It is just not done anymore with any regularity since there is no longer a widespread practice of "keeping the money in the family". Biologically speaking, as long as the parents of the children involved do not all share a common ancestry, there is no more danger to their child in defect than to any other child. The only resulting factor being a higher risk of any disease history that is common to the related parents. Don't think for one minute that the IHA has not thought about this seriously as a solution.

kimebear said:
While I certainly don't hope that this is the outcome, it would not be inconceivable if it did. Within the small confines of the Imperial Palace Aiko and Hisahito may be raised with the definite intention of them marrying. With so little outside company, they could possibly fall in love with each other. The current situation with the Japanese throne has no precedent given the enormous task of holding to traditions while appeasing a modernizing population. The only "gross" factor arising out of such a marriage is our own recoiling at the thought of marrying and conceiving children with our own first cousins. It is just not done anymore with any regularity since there is no longer a widespread practice of "keeping the money in the family". Biologically speaking, as long as the parents of the children involved do not all share a common ancestry, there is no more danger to their child in defect than to any other child. The only resulting factor being a higher risk of any disease history that is common to the related parents. Don't think for one minute that the IHA has not thought about this seriously as a solution.
Concerning the marriage of first cousins, there are different traditions in different countries. It is not "gross" in all countries. I don´t know the situation in Japan though.

lilytornado said:
Concerning the marriage of first cousins, there are different traditions in different countries. It is not "gross" in all countries. I don´t know the situation in Japan though.

The only problem I have with it is the possibility of a forced marriage if there is no love between them. I don't think that first cousins marrying is gross under those circumstances. I just don't think it should become a custom generation after generation because of the eventual biological breakdown.

Back
Top Bottom