The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-10-2020, 01:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

It is probably better for the Royal Family and even for Prince Joachim himself that the fine is hefty and made public. The public reaction would have deteriorated further if it appeared that the prince's royal status lightened the consequences of disobeying the quarantine rules and infecting at least one other individual.

Old 06-10-2020, 01:49 PM
Heir Apparent

We all make mistakes in life and Prince Joachim is human above all else.
Of course this story will haunt him forever.
But he's already apologized and he's going to pay a fine, so he deserves to move on with his life without ever talking about his mistake.

Old 06-10-2020, 01:53 PM
Majesty

I agree 100%.

But I know that the press will always bring this up on the very rare occasions that he is in the news from now on.

That's just the way it works.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 06-10-2020, 02:08 PM
Heir Apparent

I read he only has to pay half of the fine if he pays within 15 days but that is still €5,200 (I'm sure someone can lend him the money temporarily)

Still it is clear he has been treated now as anyone else would.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

It's a hefty fine for ordinary people, but it is a drop in the bucket for people who have access to that kind of wealth and privilege. It amounts to a slap on the wrist, really. First class airline tickets cost more than that in many cases, so I'd hardly call this fine much of a deterrent.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

I wouldn’t imaging he will need to borrow from anyone to pay that fine!
Old 06-10-2020, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I'm not sure what sort of income he has but the Belgian RF are not short of a few €€€.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:30 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
It's a hefty fine for ordinary people, but it is a drop in the bucket for people who have access to that kind of wealth and privilege. It amounts to a slap on the wrist, really. First class airline tickets cost more than that in many cases, so I'd hardly call this fine much of a deterrent.
I can imagine such a fine for Joachim is like paying extra for delivery to us ordinary folks. Annoying but can be done.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 06-10-2020, 06:03 PM
Heir Apparent

I think public embarassment must be the worst for him...
Old 06-11-2020, 04:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes and I hope the annoucement of his engagement will be soon ?
Old 06-11-2020, 11:42 PM
Courtier

The biggest issue with Joachim was that he should have quarantined in Madrid for 14 days and THEN go to Córdoba, he shouldn't have moved between provinces because that was not allowed at the time (example: my sister lives in Logroño but hasn't been able to visit our mother in Donosti for the last THREE months because they are in different provinces of Spain, people couldn't move due to work reasons unless they were essential workers and Joachim didn't qualify for that).

Add that to the fact that there were COVID positives in the party and that they actually made up something to get him to Spain and it's a cocktail of bad things all over the place, I hope Victoria's family also get their just desserts because the job offer was a fake and it broke the quarantine laws.

BTW Joachim should have taken this like a man and make a public statement himself instead of hiding behind a lawyer or his parents, to me it shows he's a spoiled little prince who thinks he can just pay his way out of his faults.

The fines are pretty standard, they won't make them heftier for him because he's a royal/rich person.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

That's the problem with fines. They are not based on one's personal wealth. Well to a certain extent they may be (if there is a range in possible fines). $10,000 to most people would be a painful blow financially. Like selling their car and taking a loan painful. For someone like Joachim he will likely not notice it missing from his trust fund any time soon.

A public apology by Joachim and some act of contrition might do better. Even if he said tripled the mount of his fine and donated the rest to COVID charity. Something more drastic then paying a minor fine in his case.

The fake job to enter the country, the non-quarantine, the switching provinces..... he certainly didn't have one small slip.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
That's the problem with fines. They are not based on one's personal wealth. Well to a certain extent they may be (if there is a range in possible fines). $10,000 to most people would be a painful blow financially. Like selling their car and taking a loan painful. For someone like Joachim he will likely not notice it missing from his trust fund any time soon.

A public apology by Joachim and some act of contrition might do better. Even if he said tripled the mount of his fine and donated the rest to COVID charity. Something more drastic then paying a minor fine in his case.

The fake job to enter the country, the non-quarantine, the switching provinces..... he certainly didn't have one small slip.
I agree with you 100%, the fact that has rubbed me wrong the most after he was discovered is that he didn't have the guts to issue a public apology, to show his face.

He hid behind his lawyer and his parents instead.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
It perhaps is dependent on the arrangements within the family. Given that both of his parents and three of his grandparents are living he may not yet have come into his portion of the family wealth. As illustrated in the published divorce judgment of his cousin Prince Louis of Luxembourg, there are members of royal families who are provided with easy access to first-class tickets and other privileges of wealth through the generosity of a parent or head of the family, but are not endowed with a great fortune themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
Add that to the fact that there were COVID positives in the party and that they actually made up something to get him to Spain and it's a cocktail of bad things all over the place, I hope Victoria's family also get their just desserts because the job offer was a fake and it broke the quarantine laws.
My understanding from the previous reports is that the local health officials suspect the guest who tested Covid-positive was infected by Prince Joachim.

The facts around the internship may certainly appear suspicious, but I have not seen a source with proof that the Ortiz Martínez-Sagrera family was the driving force behind it and/or that it was fraudulent. If a source does exist I would appreciate it being posted.

Quote:
BTW Joachim should have taken this like a man and make a public statement himself instead of hiding behind a lawyer or his parents, to me it shows he's a spoiled little prince who thinks he can just pay his way out of his faults.
While issued through a lawyer, the apology was written in the first person and signed by him. Given that he was infectious with Covid-19 and supposed to be in quarantine I don't agree that a public appearance would have been desirable.

Quote:
Even if he said tripled the mount of his fine and donated the rest to COVID charity. Something more drastic then paying a minor fine in his case.
That would be a good idea to consider.
Old 06-14-2020, 02:29 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
It perhaps is dependent on the arrangements within the family. Given that both of his parents and three of his grandparents are living he may not yet have come into his portion of the family wealth. As illustrated in the published divorce judgment of his cousin Prince Louis of Luxembourg, there are members of royal families who are provided with easy access to first-class tickets and other privileges of wealth through the generosity of a parent or head of the family, but are not endowed with a great fortune themselves.

My understanding from the previous reports is that the local health officials suspect the guest who tested Covid-positive was infected by Prince Joachim.

The facts around the internship may certainly appear suspicious, but I have not seen a source with proof that the Ortiz Martínez-Sagrera family was the driving force behind it and/or that it was fraudulent. If a source does exist I would appreciate it being posted.

While issued through a lawyer, the apology was written in the first person and signed by him. Given that he was infectious with Covid-19 and supposed to be in quarantine I don't agree that a public appearance would have been desirable.

That would be a good idea to consider.
Joachim could have issued a video with the apology.
In this day and era, it's inexcusable not to show your face, no matter the circumstances.
Old 06-14-2020, 02:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

If elderly royals like Charles and the queen can sort out of how to use zoom to make appearances from the comfort of home, Joachim could have done so.

No one suggested a live press conference. A phone with a camera and internet connection would do just fine.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Joachim could have issued a video with the apology.
In this day and era, it's inexcusable not to show your face, no matter the circumstances.
Quote:
No one suggested a live press conference. A phone with a camera and internet connection would do just fine.
Thanks for the clarification. I assumed a press conference was what was referred to as "a public statement", since in my view a video filmed or livestreamed from a private home is no more public than a statement written in private and published publicly.

We will have to agree to disagree that "it's inexcusable not to show your face". I can't see how it would have altered the contents of the apology.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Hopefully Prince Joachim of Belgium will have learned from this,last thing the BRF need is second Prince Laurent.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

The case of Prince Joachim closed

"Prince Joachim (28) paid the fine imposed on him by the Andalusian authorities in good time after violating the corona rules in Spain. Princess Astrid's son was given 2 weeks to appeal. He did not, Spanish media report. The file is classified."

https://twitter.com/WDehandschutter/...634624/photo/1