The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-30-2020, 12:20 PM
Majesty

Such of Weddings in Belgium has been cancelled et a lot of oney loss.
Easy , a Belgian Aristrocrat...
To me he had already Covid in Belgium
I hope Princess Astrid will not re-open the Atomium, the most confined place in Belgium!

Old 05-30-2020, 05:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

One word comes to mine- Idiot!

Old 05-30-2020, 05:40 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Very irresponsible of Joachim and it enforces the "one rule for them, one rule for us" opinion that many people here in Britain have been feeling when it comes to government officials flouting lockdown - I can only imagine that Belgian people are feeling similar sentiments. I hope this has taught him a lesson.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 05-30-2020, 06:10 PM
Majesty

What a foolish young man! He is paying the price, but I hope that no one will eventually pay with their lives because of this type of silly and entitled behavior.

And I also hope Joachim's parents and his uncle the king will read him the riot act.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 05-30-2020, 06:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
What a foolish young man! He is paying the price, but I hope that no one will eventually pay with their lives because of this type of silly and entitled behavior.

And I also hope Joachim's parents and his uncle the king will read him the riot act.
I'm pretty sure the king will - with his sense of duty, this must come as a very unpleasant surprise. I assume his parents were aware of this plan; as it seems he may have stayed with them for the last few months.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:17 PM
Aristocracy

There is talk about fines being levied on the people that went to the parties as they broke the law. If so, I hope PJ is fined and treated as a regular person, not someone special.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52864072
Old 05-31-2020, 07:54 AM
Heir Apparent

A spokesman for the family of Victoria Ortiz, the young Cordoba couple of Prince Joachim of Belgium infected with Covid-19, has expressed his vision of the events that have ended with almost thirty confined by fear of contagion.

The family says that at no time were the limits of family reunions exceeded and that there was no mass party. This spokesman is treated, for a snack held last Monday on a farm on the outskirts of Cordoba attended by 12 people and another similar meeting held the following day in a house in the capital, in which 15 people participated. In both cases the prince was present, according to the aforementioned spokesman.

This family member assures ABC that "the prince has a work permit for his company" and that "there has been absolutely no fault of the rules" of confinement. Currently, Belgium also has restrictions on catching planes outside the country. In cases of work activity, travel is considered allowed. Some Belgian media claim that the prince was doing an internship in Spain.

https://sevilla.abc.es/andalucia/cor...8_noticia.html

ABC also did an article about Victoria Ortiz.
Family sources near Victoria have confirmed to ABC that "at the moment there is a courtship but no wedding plans".
https://sevilla.abc.es/andalucia/cor...a&vtm_loMas=si

The Board's epidemiological surveillance teams now closely monitor the stay of Prince Joachim of Belgium and the persons who may have been infected in the episode of the private holiday with the aim of extending confinement precautions to anyone who had close contact with the nephew of the King of Belgium.

https://sevilla.abc.es/andalucia/cor...a&vtm_loMas=si
Old 05-31-2020, 09:06 AM
Majesty

Nothing in the News to day certainly . The Royal Palace said they are not involved , this is private.
Astrid and Lorenz are protected Members of the Royal Family.
The Prince asked Pieter De Crem to allow him to go to Spain for his business.
Which kind of Plane ?
But he went to a party in Cortoba. This Family is protected to. It is said Prince Joachim met 27 persons in Spain.
We are very angry about this idiot situation ! We saw on TV a very angry Spanish Women talking about that . The true will come from Spain and not from Belgium !
Old 05-31-2020, 09:21 AM
Majesty

Did Prince Joachim have contact with any other member of the Belgium royal family while he was infectious ? Has the Palace commented on any other Belgian royal being tested ?
Old 05-31-2020, 10:25 AM
Courtier

This is all over the BBC website. I don't know why. Prince Joachim, with all due respect to him, is not a very well-known figure in the UK. But anything involving royals hits the news. It was a very silly and irresponsible thing to do. Most of the lockdown rules breach fines here have been issued to young men, of all different social backgrounds.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:57 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Joachim has released a statement:

https://twitter.com/wdehandschutter/...847855625?s=21

“I apologize for not respecting all quarantine measures during my trip. In these difficult times I did not want to offend anyone. I deeply regret my actions and will accept the consequences. Joachim from Belgium ”
Old 05-31-2020, 06:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Joachim has released a statement:

https://twitter.com/wdehandschutter/...847855625?s=21

“I apologize for not respecting all quarantine measures during my trip. In these difficult times I did not want to offend anyone. I deeply regret my actions and will accept the consequences. Joachim from Belgium ”

Interesting that he signed "Joachim van België". It looks like speculation about princes of Belgium starting to use family names followng King Philippe's 2015 royal decree was indeed premature.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you to Marengo, lula, Somebody, carlota, Blog Real, and all others who have been summarizing the numerous reports from Belgium and Spain.

It is somewhat confusing that the prince acknowledges not respecting all quarantine measures while Ms. Ortiz's family denies that any regulations were broken. Are the two parties addressing different sets of rules?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I'm pretty sure the king will - with his sense of duty, this must come as a very unpleasant surprise. I assume his parents were aware of this plan; as it seems he may have stayed with them for the last few months.
I agree that his parents were surely aware of their son's travel to Spain, but I am not sure about the inference that they were aware of the reunion party/parties held by his girlfriend's family.

Given their own sense of duty and years of dutiful representation on behalf of the monarchy, it would come as a surprise to me if Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz condoned ignoring quarantine rules, or the spirit of the rules. The family is clearly close, but it is surely at least a possibility that the prince may have chosen to reunite with his partner even if his parents counselled against it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Interesting that he signed "Joachim van België". It looks like speculation about princes of Belgium starting to use family names followng King Philippe's 2015 royal decree was indeed premature.
Actually, the palace made it fairly clear when explaining the royal decree in 2015 that the princes and princesses of Belgium would continue to use "of Belgium" as their de facto family name.

The point of the decree (as explained in the decree itself) was to settle the legal interpretation of the family name in order to withhold "of Belgium" from Prince Amedeo's then unborn child.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:21 PM
Heir Apparent

I think Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenzo knew about their son's trip, but they probably didn't know about the party.
But I think Prince Joachim and his parents never thought this trip was going to cause so much trouble because it was a private trip.
Only it wasn't in the plans for him to find out he was infected with Covid-19 and it was made public at the same time that it was known that he had been at a party with 15 or 20 people.
At least Prince Joachim acknowledges that he made a mistake, that's a good sign.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Good sign if he actually means it. And not just either his mother or Uncle yelled at him about his actions until he printed it just to quiet them.

The true sign if he means it will be how he actually follows the rules from now on. The fact he abused travel bans which are in place for people other then work to go visit his girlfriend, and then attended a party, shows a serious lack of responsibility and good thinking on his part. Even if he didn't know he had covid before he did it. Its actually a prime example of why social distancing is so important. In the time you asymptomatic you can infect a few dozen people. And what might be mild for you might not be mild for a family member or friend you later come in contact with.

I normally think the junior royals who are private citizens are free to live their lives. And don't comment on their holidays or parties. But yeah when you are flying in the face of pandemic restrictions that's another matter.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:35 PM
Serene Highness

Good thing Victoria Ortiz's family did issue a statement.

I also like that the Belgian Royal Palace owned up to this mishap and Joachim apologizing. I hope he gets well.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Prime Minister Wilmès: "Prince Joachim apologized and expressed his willingness to accept any sanction. That's normal. Case closed."

The Prime Minister reopened with Joachim's mother, Princess Astrid, recently opened the Atomium in Brussels.
https://mobile.twitter.com/WDehandsc...83065032171520

"No comment, please, " said Princess Astrid at the reopening of the Atomium after being pressed with questions about her son, Prince Joachim. He was discredited by attending a party in Spain and then testing positive for the corona virus.
https://mobile.twitter.com/WDehandsc...81319715168256
Old 06-01-2020, 05:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Prime Minister has the right idea. He admitted wrongdoing, apologised and accepted his sanction and that’s the end of it. The same as it would be for any other citizen.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:15 AM
Courtier

Good on him (and/or whoever encouraged him to put out that apology) far better to admit fault than to try and double down on saying you were in the right due to a technicality or something. Or outright lying.

I was thinking in the UK if Peter Phillips or Zara Tindall had done this it would certainly not be "case closed" as far as the media went, but Belgium might be different in this regard.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:33 AM
Majesty

Case close for Astrid's family of course. I don't know is the case is close in Spain.