Prince Joachim of Belgium - News and Pictures, Part 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think they knew he was going back to Spain to be with his girlfriend I doubt they knew about any parties and probably thought at most there were having a dinner with all those already living in the residence he was travelling to.

To be fair it's not up to Astrid and Lorenz to know the laws of Spain even during Covid, they can only hope as any parent would, that their adult son would follow the rules and no doubt they believed he was.

There is not much more that can be said, he has apologised, said he will accept the consequences, I don't think there is more he can do.

Astrid can be seen here during her visit today, which I give her credit for still going ahead with.

Last edited:
Good news that the prince is feeling better. Princess Astrid replied affermative when a reporter asked her if she was tested on the virus too. The reporter used the informal 'jullie' instead of the formal 'u' (vous), which is of an informality that I would not even imagine in the Netherlands.

Last edited:
I'm glad that Joachim apologised but as a disabled person at risk to the virus, it angers me when people act so selfishly in the first place. As a Belgian prince he should have known better.

An apology simply won't do, he has to pay the price, as any other person who has broken quarantine rules during these times, also if he has some kind of diplomatic passport/special travel permission, he should lose it permanently.

How embarrassing this is for Astrid and Lorenz and how disappointing it must be for his uncle the King, whose family had been doing such an stellar work during the pandemic, just for his nephew to throw it in his face.

Bad Start for his private and business Life !

Last edited:
His parents Princess Astrid and Archduke Lorenz must be mortified up until this their kids have had a good image and publicity.

Good news that the prince is feeling better. Princess Astrid replied affermative when a reporter asked her if she was tested on the virus too. The reporter used the informal 'jullie' instead of the formal 'u' (vous), which is of an informality that I would not even imagine in the Netherlands.

Jullie is plural. Jij (informal) or u (formal) is singular.
There is no formal plural.
As Lorenz was also present, the reporter was informing after both him and Astrid, I guess.

Is that Flemish? In Dutch from the Netherlands the plural and the singular are both ‘u’.

Indeed you are right. It can be used in plural.
But in Flemish it sounds very oldfashioned. Jullie is certainly not considered impolite.

The Prince asked Pieter De Crem to allow him to go to Spain for his business.
Which kind of Plane ?

also if he has some kind of diplomatic passport/special travel permission, he should lose it permanently.

On the Belgian end of his journey, it doesn't seem as if he would have required special permission. The Belgian restrictions in force then already categorized "Journeys to a partner who does not live under the same roof", as well as "Journeys abroad in the context of professional activities", as "essential reasons to travel abroad" (see "Is it still allowed to travel abroad from Belgium?"). So with or without the internship, departing from Belgium for the reason of seeing his girlfriend would seem to be allowed under Belgian law.

On the Spanish end, the restrictions were stricter: Only a legal spouse or registered partner would have qualified as grounds for travel. I suppose that is why the Royal Palace and the Ortiz Martínez-Sagrera family both emphasized the internship in their statements. (And presumably they had no justification to offer for his disregard of the 14-day quarantine.)

Prime Minister Wilmès: "Prince Joachim apologized and expressed his willingness to accept any sanction. That's normal. Case closed."

The Prime Minister reopened with Joachim's mother, Princess Astrid, recently opened the Atomium in Brussels.

"No comment, please, " said Princess Astrid at the reopening of the Atomium after being pressed with questions about her son, Prince Joachim. He was discredited by attending a party in Spain and then testing positive for the corona virus.

I was thinking in the UK if Peter Phillips or Zara Tindall had done this it would certainly not be "case closed" as far as the media went, but Belgium might be different in this regard.

I think the national governments of both countries have a culture of protecting the monarchy from criticism. The controversy around Joachim's brother a few years ago had much less grave consequences, but it is another example of the government providing cover to the Royal Family.

My take is that Victoria's family wanted to communicate that the 15-people rule wasn't broken. They said the 27 people were divided over two meetings with 12 and 15 each. This, however, doesn't make sense, as there were 27 'contact persons' of Joachim and I assume that Victoria was also present at both meetings; so that would add up to 24 (10+13+Victoria).

Good observation. Even if Prince Joachim had been the sole individual present on both occasions, it would add to 25 contacts, not 27. If the figures counted the contacts only and excluded the prince hiimself, the second gathering (at 16) would remain a violation of the law.

It will be interesting to see if more details of the internship emerge in the months ahead.

Bad Start for his private and business Life !

His parents Princess Astrid and Archduke Lorenz must be mortified up until this their kids have had a good image and publicity.

I agree, especially as he has otherwise kept a low profile. I imagine this news will be remembered in the press coverage when/if the couple formally announce an engagement, particularly in view of the public involvement of Ms. Ortiz and her family.

At the party in Cordoba, where Prince Joachim was invited last Tuesday, there were no 27 guests. This is the conclusion of the Spanish national police (El Cuerpo Nacional de Policía) after investigation. There were about 15. Meetings of up to 15 people are allowed in Spain.

A second infection was identified among the guests of the party in Cordoba, where Prince Joachim was present (and after that he was tested positive for the corona virus). This is reported by the Junta de Andalucía, the council of the Spanish autonomous community of Andalusia.

Last edited:
:previous: Thank you for the article! It seems then that the sole law-breaker was Prince Joachim (and perhaps the other sick guest), and Victoria Ortiz and her family are cleared. That also explains why the prince apologized while the Ortiz Martínez-Sagrera family defended themselves in the media.

I didn't realize that the (first?) party was held in honor of Ms. Ortiz's 30th birthday. I wonder why earlier reports characterized it as a family reunion or welcome party for the prince? It may have served as all three, I suppose.

I also wonder whether Prince Joachim violated the quarantine law because he wanted to attend his girlfriend's birthday, but surely he could afford to simply depart Belgium two weeks earlier. His girlfriend's birthday falls on the same day every year...

Rules change all the time, so I'm not sure that both Belgium and Spain allowed travel between the countries two weeks earlier.

The second infection could very well be because of Joachim; and if that person didn't know that you are ill (and had no symptoms) I don't think he/she broke any rules. Unlike Joachim who was supposed to be in quarantine for 14 days after traveling to Spain.

Even if he didn't break any laws/rules the Prince was rather reckless and ill advised given the terrible death tolls in both Spain and Belgium.

It would not surprise me if the Ortiz girl and her family decide to distance themselves from the prince during the fallout/aftermath resulting from his selfish and immature behavior.:whistling:

This is NOT the kind of publicity that wealthy and well connected people like to draw.

Somebody said:
Rules change all the time, so I'm not sure that both Belgium and Spain allowed travel between the countries two weeks earlier.

It does get confusing indeed. AFAIK Family visits abroad were only allowed from last weekend. But exceptions for essensial work abroad have been made all along. I can't see how an internship is considered essensial but apparently it is.

It would not surprise me if the Ortiz girl and her family decide to distance themselves from the prince during the fallout/aftermath resulting from his selfish and immature behavior.:whistling:

This is NOT the kind of publicity that wealthy and well connected people like to draw.

That would be quite dishonest and unfair imho. They were fully in on his plans as they most likely created the 'internship' that allowed Joachim to come and visit Victoria which surely was the wish of both of them, so they are at least complicit. Had they wanted him to quarantine they should have told him and not invite him to their parties but for example have him stay in a 'separate part' of the house for the first two weeks.

While I'm sure they are unhappy about what unfolded, they are also to blame but were able to somewhat talk themselves out of it by stating that their meeting had 'about 15' (which most likely means slightly more than 15 or it would have been stated differently) and have Joachim apologize. So, while this story will surely come up at their wedding (which I hope will still take place at some point), it wouldn't seem reasonable to break off a relationship of several years because the plan you came up with or at least agreed on backfired.

Even if he didn't break any laws/rules the Prince was rather reckless and ill advised given the terrible death tolls in both Spain and Belgium.

The prince didn't break any Belgian laws, but he broke the Spanish law requiring arrivals from abroad to quarantine for 14 days, instead taking the train to another province the same day he arrived at the airport and attending parties hosted by his girlfriend's family over the next two days. Hence he apologized specifically for "not respecting all quarantine measures", and his apology was issued in Spanish through his lawyer in Spain.

It does get confusing indeed. AFAIK Family visits abroad were only allowed from last weekend. But exceptions for essensial work abroad have been made all along. I can't see how an internship is considered essensial but apparently it is.

Family yes, but "partner" visits already were allowed at the time Prince Joachim departed the country. See the archived version of the Belgian official regulations in post #71.

Journeys "in the context of professional activities" were also allowed (and unlike partner visits, these were also allowed by Spain).

That would be quite dishonest and unfair imho. They were fully in on his plans as they most likely created the 'internship' that allowed Joachim to come and visit Victoria which surely was the wish of both of them, so they are at least complicit. Had they wanted him to quarantine they should have told him and not invite him to their parties but for example have him stay in a 'separate part' of the house for the first two weeks.

Is there evidence linking the Ortiz Martínez-Sagrera family to the internship? In view of their wealth it is plausible, but I'm not sure a royal prince who has spent time living in Spain would find it difficult to find employment there even without the intervention of his girlfriend's family.

As for his violating quarantine, perhaps he gave the family the impression that he had already finished his quarantine in Madrid?

Last edited:
Is there evidence linking the Ortiz Martínez-Sagrera family to the internship? In view of their wealth it is plausible, but I'm not sure a royal prince who has spent time living in Spain would find it difficult to find employment there even without the intervention of his girlfriend's family.
There is no evidence but what other company would offer an INTERNSHIP (not a job) to someone who had been working for years? In what context? Etc. So, yes, it could be that he arranged it with another employer but it seems more likely that her family was involved.

As for his violating quarantine, perhaps he gave the family the impression that he had already finished his quarantine in Madrid?
I don't believe for one moment that Victoria thought that he had been in Madrid for 2 weeks, so I would sincerely hope that they didn't pretend he did to the rest of the family. That would be a huge betrayal of trust of both of them.

There is no evidence but what other company would offer an INTERNSHIP (not a job) to someone who had been working for years? In what context? Etc. So, yes, it could be that he arranged it with another employer but it seems more likely that her family was involved.
According to Belgian newspapers (sudpresse, Nieuwsblad) Victoria's father planned the parties for her 30th birthday and Joachim's attendance was the ultimate surprise for his daughter. There was no truly legal way to get Joachim to Cordoba and for sure everyone involved knew they were bending the rules. The 'internship' it seems was a 'job' offered by a farmer who works for the family or in a company owned by Victoria's mother herself. If it's true – and I think its plausible – their smart plan proofed to be a complete fiasco. And it all happened during a period of national mourning.
I get that its hard to be separated for such a long time and a 30th birthday is a special milestone.. but still... With great privilege, comes great responsibility and no one is above the law.

Also given that Joachim was with his parents before he travelled to Spain I guess they knew what he was up to. They should have intervened. And would it have hurt Astrid to say that her son was wrong and they are all sorry when she was asked for a comment?
If you look at all these incidents during these last years: what a missed opportunity that Astrid and Laurent didn't retire when Philippe succeeded his father. It would have reduced the damage for the monarchy. I sincerely hope there is an exit strategy for them at the latest when Elisabeth becomes a full-time working royal.

Mara, so far away you understand what each Belgian is thinking. Thank you so much. I always appreciate your posts.

Last edited:
:previous: I thought Mara was Belgian, but please correct me if I'm mistaken.

According to Belgian newspapers (sudpresse, Nieuwsblad) Victoria's father planned the parties for her 30th birthday and Joachim's attendance was the ultimate surprise for his daughter. There was no truly legal way to get Joachim to Cordoba and for sure everyone involved knew they were bending the rules. The 'internship' it seems was a 'job' offered by a farmer who works for the family or in a company owned by Victoria's mother herself. If it's true – and I think its plausible – their smart plan proofed to be a complete fiasco. And it all happened during a period of national mourning.
I get that its hard to be separated for such a long time and a 30th birthday is a special milestone.. but still... With great privilege, comes great responsibility and no one is above the law.

Thank you, Mara.

Also given that Joachim was with his parents before he travelled to Spain I guess they knew what he was up to. They should have intervened. And would it have hurt Astrid to say that her son was wrong and they are all sorry when she was asked for a comment?
If you look at all these incidents during these last years: what a missed opportunity that Astrid and Laurent didn't retire when Philippe succeeded his father. It would have reduced the damage for the monarchy. I sincerely hope there is an exit strategy for them at the latest when Elisabeth becomes a full-time working royal.

I cannot recall there being "all these incidents" involving Princess Astrid in the last few years, except perhaps her absence from a national day, whereas I can think of numerous ones involving her brother Prince Laurent. To me the princess has always seemed diplomatic and dedicated to her role, and even the rumored spats between King Philippe and his sister were supposedly due to his decision to sideline her from duty. That is why I think it is premature to assume that she agreed with her son's choice to break quarantine.

She (and Prince Lorenz) would surely have known about their son's destination, but according to the Spanish laws, it would have been allowable for him to spend his quarantine in a private residence. So given that his journey and destination did not break the law, I am not sure how she (or Prince Lorenz) could have intervened to prevent him from attending the parties once he was in Spain.

Prince Joachim himself has never been a working royal and has an extremely low profile; I noticed that many of the headlines in Flanders even named him as "Princess Astrid's son" rather than "Prince Joachim". I am not sure how it would have reduced the damage to the monarchy if his mother had been retired. But if that is the case then King Philippe should sideline his own three younger children from the very beginning, as it is equally possible that his children's future children will eventually do something similar.

However, I agree with you that it would have been more diplomatic for Princess Astrid to repeat her son's apology and stress that it was wrong (although I think she herself should only apologize if she indeed supported his actions) when asked for comment.

Last edited:
I cannot recall there being "all these incidents" involving Princess Astrid in the last few years, except perhaps her absence from a national day, whereas I can think of numerous ones involving her brother Prince Laurent. To me the princess has always seemed diplomatic and dedicated to her role, and even the rumored spats between King Philippe and his sister were supposedly due to his decision to sideline her from duty. That is why I think it is premature to assume that she agreed with her son's choice to break quarantine.
Sure, most incidents are caused by Laurent but Astrid also had her moments. It's unprofessional to openly show discontent with staff members, or to miss out quite a few of the mayor events she was expected to attend etc. And it's not Astrid's fault but her father's decision to ask for a dotation for his younger kids is haunting the RF since decades. It was one of the biggest misjudgements and it needs to be fixed soon. But I should have started a new paragraph as this was a more general remark.

She (and Prince Lorenz) would surely have known about their son's destination, but according to the Spanish laws, it would have been allowable for him to spend his quarantine in a private residence. So given that his journey and destination did not break the law, I am not sure how she (or Prince Lorenz) could have intervened to prevent him from attending the parties once he was in Spain.

Prince Joachim himself has never been a working royal and has an extremely low profile; I noticed that many of the headlines in Flanders even named him as "Princess Astrid's son" rather than "Prince Joachim". I am not sure how it would have reduced the damage to the monarchy if his mother had been retired.
Had his mother been retired she would not have been out and about representing the monarchy two days after the incident became known. She would have gotten away with a 'no comment' as she would not have a relevant role any longer. And the Prime minister who attended the opening of the Atomium with her would not have felt the need to come to her rescue with the statement 'case closed', which was well intended but only made matters worse. The public would not have to think about the possibility of Astrid being ill and spreading the virus during the opening. She was invited to make sure the visitors of the Atomium and other attractions felt confident and safe about going there. But now the focus totally shifted and people are angry because they feel that rules are only for Joe Average. Had she not been a paid working member of the RF it would still have been bad but the impact would have been smaller imo.
But if that is the case then King Philippe should sideline his own three younger children from the very beginning, as it is equally possible that his children's future children will eventually do something similar.
That already happened. Only Elisabeth gets a dotation. The younger children will be private persons, who must earn their keep. They are only entitled to a reimbursement of expenses if they represent the crown. (see the law concerning the dotations from Nov 23rd 2013) [FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
However, I agree with you that it would have been more diplomatic for Princess Astrid to repeat her son's apology and stress that it was wrong (although I think she herself should only apologize if she indeed supported his actions) when asked for comment.
Joachim, Astrid and Lorenz certainly knew only essential travels were allowed. And they all knew that attending a party under the cover of an internship isn't a valid reason for travelling to Spain. They all thought Joachim would fly under the radar and no one would notice.

There were people dying in their hospital beds without their relatives being able to comfort them. Funerals were held with a minimum attendance, weddings and birthday parties were cancelled, grandparents hadn't seen their grandkids in ages and yet Joachim travels around in Europe like rules are not for him. Out of respect and solidarity he should have stayed home. Sure, he is a grown up man and it was his decision to travel. But he did live under one roof with his parents. They certainly talked about the travel and Astrid and Lorenz could have convinced him that this is a bad idea since he certainly did not make the right decision. A 'no comment' is not the adequate answer in this situation.

Sure, most incidents are caused by Laurent but Astrid also had her moments. It's unprofessional to openly show discontent with staff members, or to miss out quite a few of the mayor events she was expected to attend etc.

I am interested in those incidents; could you please provide further details (or a link)?

And it's not Astrid's fault but her father's decision to ask for a dotation for his younger kids is haunting the RF since decades. It was one of the biggest misjudgements and it needs to be fixed soon. But I should have started a new paragraph as this was a more general remark.

I would say it has been fixed with, as you noted, the overhaul of the dotation system to withhold dotations from the next generation of younger siblings.

Had his mother been retired she would not have been out and about representing the monarchy two days after the incident became known. She would have gotten away with a 'no comment' as she would not have a relevant role any longer. And the Prime minister who attended the opening of the Atomium with her would not have felt the need to come to her rescue with the statement 'case closed', which was well intended but only made matters worse. The public would not have to think about the possibility of Astrid being ill and spreading the virus during the opening. She was invited to make sure the visitors of the Atomium and other attractions felt confident and safe about going there. But now the focus totally shifted and people are angry because they feel that rules are only for Joe Average. Had she not been a paid working member of the RF it would still have been bad but the impact would have been smaller imo.

To clarify, is it your belief that the public anger at rules being only for Joe Average would have been lessened if Prince Joachim was only the grandson and not the son of a paid working royal? And that if Princess Astrid had not been a paid working royal, whichever paid working royal opened the Atomium would not have had to face the same questions that she did?

It was reported in the Belgian press prior to the visit that both Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz had tested negative (which she confirmed).

That already happened. Only Elisabeth gets a dotation. The younger children will be private persons, who must earn their keep. They are only entitled to a reimbursement of expenses if they represent the crown. (see the law concerning the dotations from Nov 23rd 2013)

We will see how it plays out. There are manifold European royals who are treated as public persons with public duties without receiving any government dotation. For the moment all of King Philippe's children are treated as public persons. On the royal family website they rank above the King's working royal siblings and retired working royal parents. Their birthdays are acknowledged on the royal social media and photographs are published.

Joachim, Astrid and Lorenz certainly knew only essential travels were allowed. And they all knew that attending a party under the cover of an internship isn't a valid reason for travelling to Spain. They all thought Joachim would fly under the radar and no one would notice.

There were people dying in their hospital beds without their relatives being able to comfort them. Funerals were held with a minimum attendance, weddings and birthday parties were cancelled, grandparents hadn't seen their grandkids in ages and yet Joachim travels around in Europe like rules are not for him. Out of respect and solidarity he should have stayed home. Sure, he is a grown up man and it was his decision to travel. But he did live under one roof with his parents. They certainly talked about the travel and Astrid and Lorenz could have convinced him that this is a bad idea since he certainly did not make the right decision. A 'no comment' is not the adequate answer in this situation.

We will have to disagree about the "certainty" that the prince's parents were aware of the birthday plans and he would not have attended without their consent. It is possible that it happened exactly as you believe it did. But I see nothing unbelievable in the possibility of an adult disregarding his parents' wishes (particularly an adult who disregarded the rules intended to protect his fellow guests).

If the Royal Palace and the Ortiz Martínez-Sagrera family can be believed, Prince Joachim had a legally valid reason for "essential travel", specifically a professional internship. If it is true that the internship was arranged as a cover for attending a party, then that would indeed be an abuse of the laws.

To clarify, is it your belief that the public anger at rules being only for Joe Average would have been lessened if Prince Joachim was only the grandson and not the son of a paid working royal? And that if Princess Astrid had not been a paid working royal, whichever paid working royal opened the Atomium would not have had to face the same questions that she did?

It was reported in the Belgian press prior to the visit that both Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz had tested negative (which she confirmed).
I agree that I don't think it would have mattered much. He was mostly an unknown prince and he would have been so had his mother been sidelined. He still however is a prince of Belgium and therefore it would have attracted attention either way.

We will have to disagree about the "certainty" that the prince's parents were aware of the birthday plans and he would not have attended without their consent. It is possible that it happened exactly as you believe it did. But I see nothing unbelievable in the possibility of an adult disregarding his parents' wishes (particularly an adult who disregarded the rules intended to protect his fellow guests).

If the Royal Palace and the Ortiz Martínez-Sagrera family can be believed, Prince Joachim had a legally valid reason for "essential travel", specifically a professional internship. If it is true that the internship was arranged as a cover for attending a party, then that would indeed be an abuse of the laws.
I am sure his parents' were aware of Victoria's birthday (as they have been in a relationship for real). While Joachim may have planned his trip to coincide with Victoria's birthday; I'd say the general purpose would be to be back together after months of separation. So, by focusing on 'attending a party', the other position is not represented fairly.

Of course he, like any other in his situation, wanted to be with his girlfriend after several months of unplanned separation. So, they found a way to get him to Spain. So yes, I believe they bended the rules (and they are probably not the only ones doing so - but they had bad luck and got found out because of Joachim's infection) to make it happen because it is not logical at all -for someone who had a job in South Africa- to suddenly need 'an internship in Córdoba' (this internship was clearly not a necessity - as the company would have hired him if they truly needed them; and he is not currently undertaking university studies that would require him to take this internship to graduate either; so, non-essential) at the exact time and place that would conveniently mean he could be with his girlfriend again.

I am sure his parents' were aware of Victoria's birthday (as they have been in a relationship for real). While Joachim may have planned his trip to coincide with Victoria's birthday; I'd say the general purpose would be to be back together after months of separation. So, by focusing on 'attending a party', the other position is not represented fairly.

I did not mean to misrepresent anything and am ready to correct any errors I've made, although I am not sure what you are referring to. However, I specifically cited the party because it was what Mara cited as an invalid reason, because joining a partner living in another country was a legally valid reason to travel abroad per the Belgian government, and thus it would not have been an abuse of the Belgian laws. It would have been an abuse of the Spanish laws, but the discussion was focused on whether Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz might have attempted to convince their son, and I am not sure they would be aware that the Spanish laws differed from the Belgian laws on this point.

I think being aware of the birthday, if that was the case, would not necessarily mean being aware of their son's plans to disrespect the quarantine rules in order to celebrate the birthday.

Of course he, like any other in his situation, wanted to be with his girlfriend after several months of unplanned separation. So, they found a way to get him to Spain. So yes, I believe they bended the rules (and they are probably not the only ones doing so - but they had bad luck and got found out because of Joachim's infection) to make it happen because it is not logical at all -for someone who had a job in South Africa- to suddenly need 'an internship in Córdoba' (this internship was clearly not a necessity - as the company would have hired him if they truly needed them; and he is not currently undertaking university studies that would require him to take this internship to graduate either; so, non-essential) at the exact time and place that would conveniently mean he could be with his girlfriend again.

I agree that the circumstances are suspicious. If the internship is genuinely something more than an arrangement of convenience it would be helpful to both families to release more information to demonstrate that (although I can understand that no employer would want their name attached to this headline news story).

Last edited:
I did not mean to misrepresent anything and am ready to correct any errors I've made, although I am not sure what you are referring to. However, I specifically cited the party because it was what Mara cited as an invalid reason, because joining a partner living in another country was a legally valid reason to travel abroad per the Belgian government, and thus it would not have been an abuse of the Belgian laws. It would have been an abuse of the Spanish laws, but the discussion was focused on whether Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz might have attempted to convince their son, and I am not sure they would be aware that the Spanish laws differed from the Belgian laws on this point.
Thanks for the clarification. I understand your point of view.

I think being aware of the birthday, if that was the case, would not necessarily mean being aware of their son's plans to disrespect the quarantine rules in order to celebrate the birthday.
I agree that Lorenz and Astrid might not have been fully aware of the Spanish rules; but I don't think they thought Joachim would fly to Spain on the day before his girlfriend's birthday and not meet her :flowers: - but again, I don't know whether they were aware of the quarantine requirement.

I agree that the circumstances are suspicious. If the internship is genuinely something more than an arrangement of convenience it would be helpful to both families to release more information to demonstrate that (although I can understand that no employer would want their name attached to this headline news story).
I expect we won't hear anymore about this internship... Joachim isn't very active in keeping his LinkedIn-profile up to date it seems.

I don't believe Astrid & Lorenz would know about the rules around the Spanish lockdown. I live in the UK, I'm in England and my parents are 10 miles away in Wales. Here we are allowed now up to 6 people to meet outside including in a garden, so when I spoke to my parents last I said I'd come over and see them for the first time in ages. Oh no said my parents, here the rules are different and only two households from within 5 miles can meet.

I don't think I'm particularly dumb and I couldn't keep up with two different countries rules even when the countries are next to each other and my own relatives live in one. I can 100% see Astrid and Lorenz not knowing the specifics of the Spanish rules. They may have either assumed Joachim was following the rules without asking or Joachim may have told them a few "white lies" about what the rules were especially given that the Belgian rules would have allowed him to do what he did (travelling to another country).

The "internship" may well be the undoing of this whole saga, if the family set up, to all intense and purposes, a fake internship to navigate around the rules then that is bad as it shows they knew what he was doing was wrong and were trying to make the situation artificially fit the rules.

Pieter De Crem , Minister de l' Intérieur who allowed Prince Joacim to go to Spain for his Work knew it.

Back
Top Bottom