Heir Apparent

Victoria Ortiz Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/victoria.or...&ref=nf_target

Prince Joachim Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/joachim.bel...AjPqh2GSbC9pdM

Old Yesterday, 06:55 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

According to the Belgian media Prince Joachim has tested positive for Corona after he attended a lockdown party in Cordoba, Spain. The news was confirmed by the Belgian royal palace.

Original source was the Spanish newspaper 'El Confidential' who were able to get their hands on documents that on Tuesday 27 people attended a lockdown party in a private home in Cordoba. Due to anti-Corona measures only groups of 15 people are allowed to meet in Spain.

The prince flew to Spain from Belgium two days earlier and was tested positive a day after the party.

--
Note that the Belgian borders have only opened last night 'for family visits'. The borders are expected to open completely on June 8th.

Old Yesterday, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Can he be prosecuted for breaking the law,highly embarrassing for the BRF.
Old Yesterday, 07:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Given how affected both Belgium and Spain have been by Covid this is bad and in pretty poor judgement.
I'm sure they'll say he wasn't aware of the Spanish laws as a visitor but still.

It's a shame given how well the King & Queen have managed themselves during this crisis.
Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Isn't he dating a Spanish lady?
Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM
Administrator

He is indeed dating a very wealthy Spanish lady from Cordoba. I thought they were living in South Africa. The palace emphasized that the prince has strictly obeyed the lockdown measures. Until Sunday he stayed in self-isolation with his parents in Villa Schonenberg in Laeken.

To get in a plane he will have needed to get a permit to go abroad. You could get those permits to attend funerals, to go to essensial work or to feed animals. But then what civil servant would refuse to give a prince of Belgium the permit?

Note that in Belgium various politicians have been breaking the Lockdown rules. Every week there is another -usually Flemish - mayor, city councilor, member of parliament etc. fined for a lockdown BBQ, party etc.

---
Added:

According to Wim Dehandschutter the Prince went with a normal flight to Spain. He said that he was doing an internship there. I can't see how that is 'essensial' travel, so why he was allowed to leave is still a mystery.

RTL says that it is unclear if the report about 27 people at the party is correct. The prince supposedly said that since he arrived in Spain he has met 27 people.
Old Yesterday, 07:42 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Whilst what he did was wrong, he should have flown to Spain and partied. He more than likely had the virus before he left belgium. Was he showing symptoms to get tested or was he tested at random?
Old Yesterday, 07:49 AM
Administrator

He showed symptoms the day after the party apparently. Generally people show symptoms 5-6 days after they get infected with the Corona virus. Perhaps the 'self isolation' in Villa Schonenberg was not so isolated?

I have no idea how airports work now but even at the hairdresser my temperature was checked. I assume they do the same in the airports?

-
Update from Wim Dehandschutter:

Quote:
The Royal Palace in Brussels confirmed to me that Prince Joachim arrived in Madrid last Sunday and attended the party in Córdoba on Tuesday. Another source told me that he took the train to Andalusia. He was obliged to go into a 2-week quarantine in Madrid, but he didn't.
https://twitter.com/WDehandschutter

According to Chantal Monet of RTL all the people he has met are now placed in quarantine. The prince is still in Spain.

https://www.rtl.be/info/belgique/fam...e-1221668.aspx
Old Yesterday, 07:56 AM
Nobility

Well that was fantastically stupid whether he had the virus before he left or caught it after he got there. It seems like he broke a lot of rules in two countries hit badly so doesn't have an excuse of he didn't realise how serious it was.
Old Yesterday, 08:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Just in the news. Several Members who attended the party has Covid Too.
Did he had Covid before flying to Spain and did he met met Members of our Royal Family.
Our Royals will decide what to do .
Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz must be devasted, how stupid attending a Party of more than 20 persons during Covid !
Old Yesterday, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Prince Joachim should know better and I doubt he'll get any sympathy for catching the virus given his reckless behavior.
Old Yesterday, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia
Our Royals will decide what to do . Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz must be devasted, how stupid attending a Party of more than 20 persons during Covid !
Isn't Princess Astrid supposed to re-open the Atomium on Monday? If the prince had Corona while he was in Belgium with his parents I hope the princess will at least be tested before she goes out in public. I wouldn't be surprised if her attendance would be cancelled out of precaution and to save her the ebarrassement.

Anyway, let's hope the prince and the other infected people will have a speedy recovery and will not infect anybody else.
Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Spanish police are investigating, and since yesterday the rumors indicated that it was Prince Joachim.

Europe's borders remain closed, and people can only travel between countries for certain reasons. In Spain, movement between regions is prohibited, if it is not for work or extreme family need (death, care of children and the elderly). No Spaniard can travel from Madrid to Córdoba if it is not for justified reasons.

Then they have broken the meeting rules, because only 15 people are allowed to meet and 27 people have met at the party. Other than partygoers who have already been located, they will probably also have to locate the people who traveled with him on the plane and train.

So the police is investigating, because numerous rules have been broken. The meeting was not legal so those responsible of the party will probably have to pay fines. And the prince will have to explain how he justified his trip (some Spanish media talk about the possibility that he used a diplomatic passport), and he has not quarantined.
Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Isn’t the 14 day rule still applicable in Belgium? If someone you’ve been in close contact, for a consistent period of time, has tested positive you should isolate for 14 days.

Whoever has come into contact with Joachim should isolate.
Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if her attendance would be cancelled out of precaution and to save her the ebarrassement.
It is difficult for me to imagine Princess Astrid acting in the same manner. As Prince Joachim is an adult, his parents are not necessarily responsible.

Is this becoming headline news in Belgium? I was under the impression that the average Belgian would not recognize Prince Joachim in the street, but it is interesting that the Royal Palace has been responsive in their communications given that the story was initially reported without naming the prince.
Old Yesterday, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen
Isn’t the 14 day rule still applicable in Belgium? If someone you’ve been in close contact, for a consistent period of time, has tested positive you should isolate for 14 days.
I just checked the official website and you are right, that is the official guideline. That means that she will have to cnacel her attendance at the Atomium, which is almost next to her house btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria
Is this becoming headline news in Belgium? I was under the impression that the average Belgian would not recognize Prince Joachim in the street, but it is interesting that the Royal Palace has been responsive in their communications given that the story was initially reported without naming the prince.
It is a headline for now, let's see if it still is one this evening. We have seen quite a few stories of officials ignoring Corona-rules in Flanders. Some stories seem a slap stick comedy with people hiding in cupboards etc. Two professors were arrested while they got drunk while live streaming a lecture to their students. This story seems less bizar at least and the average Belgian will not be overly interested in the children of Pss Astrid.

The palace must have been approached by journalists about the matter and probably knew the story would eventually leak anyway. When I read the story in El Pais to yesterday evening I immediately thought of Prince Joachim. I am sure other royalty-watchers and royalty-journalists must have had the same thought. And as lula stated, it was already rumored in Spain. The palace was right to get ahead of the story.
Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
The palace must have been approached by journalists about the matter and probably knew the story would eventually leak anyway. When I read the story in El Pais to yesterday evening I immediately thought of Prince Joachim. I am sure other royalty-watchers and royalty-journalists must have had the same thought. And as lula stated, it was already rumored in Spain. The palace was right to get ahead of the story.
It's interesting that El País only talked about 'a Belgian aristocrat'. It further explains that is was a family reunion to celebrate the arrival of one of the boyfriend of one of the family members.

According El País, the 14 days quarantine rule only applies to tourists, so if Joachim entered Spain for other reasons (work? I thought they lived and worked in South Africa - I guess Victoria's family was able to come up with an 'internship', so he would have a reason to travel - other than visiting his girlfriend), this rule apparently would not apply. Diario Córdoba does not make that distinction in their reporting and states that anyone traveling from abroad needs to self-quarantine for 14 days.

I fully understand that Joachim and Victoria wanted to be together after spending most likely months apart from each other; although they should have waited if it was against the rules for him to travel to Spain (but having a diplomatic passport does wonders). Nonetheless, even if it was legal to travel - it was very unwise (and if all at the same time not allowed) to already meet with that many people 2 days after arrival.

I wonder where he picked it up: during his travels on Sunday would be a reasonable possibility.

Diario Córdoba adds that 5 people at the welcome party were from Sevilla and at first they had not been able to contact them (but later on the Distrito Sanitario de Sevilla was able to track them down).

So, it seems that on Sunday Joachim flew to Madrid and took the AVE to Córdoba.
On Tuesday they had a welcome party with (mostly?) family members at Victoria's parents' house in Córdoba attended by 27 people.
On Wednesday Joachim started to develop symptoms
On Friday (or Thursday - reports vary) he was tested for Covid-19 and found positive (on Friday); that same day they tracked down the 27 people and all of them were put in quarantine.
Also on Friday: they started their investigation into whether any prosecutable offense took place (the fine could be between 600 to 10.000 Euros).
Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM
Heir Apparent

For those wondering about Joachim working in South Africa; it was reported in 2018 based on this Zoominfo-page.
Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

If he traveled on Sunday, and already had symptoms on Wednesday ... that means that he already left Belgium infected.

I believe that the Belgian court or press are trying to minimize the issue, due to the consequences that the case may have.

About the meeting and the number of people, are data provided by the Andalusian Ministry of Health to the government subdelegation so that the police proceed to investigate it. Now the police will have to investigate three things:

- Who was the organizer of the meeting and how many people attended. If the legal number is exceeded, the organizer will be fined.

- If 5 of the guests who were from Sevilla failed to comply with the rules on travel between provinces, and in their case they will also be fined.

- They will investigate what are the reasons why Joachim made his trip and if they are legal or not.
Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM
Majesty

how very embarrasing. not just for joachim, but also for the officials who deemed it appropriate to give him a travel permit for something non essential - it basically highlights that there is one rule for some, another rule for others.

this article mentions more:

https://www.elmundo.es/loc/casa-real...f198b45d3.html

joachim works as a financial analyst. he resided in Andalusia for many years, to be close to his girlfriend, Victoria Ortiz
he traveled to Córdoba on monday to participate in a private party, together with friends and family of his girlfriend, who wanted to give him the welcome. then, the quarantine decreed by the Government of Spain was skipped, even under the state of alarm.
he has been going out with Victoria Ortiz for years, She belongs to a well-known family of entrepreneurs in the Andalusian agro-industrial sector. They have travelled together last year to Botswana.