Prince Amedeo, Princess Elisabetta and Family, News and Events 1, July 2014- present

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been reading information on Elisabetta's family.
Elisabetta and Amedeo are still cousins.
You can read here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Elisabetta_of_Belgium

I hope Wikipedia will stop rehashing untruths about the names, styles and titles of Prince Amedeo and his family.

In every instance - legal documents, the official website, announcements, and so forth:

1. Amedeo and his parents and siblings always use the style of HRH (not HI&RH).
2. Elisabetta is always styled as either "Princess Amedeo of Belgium" or "Princess Elisabetta" (not "Princess Elisabetta of Belgium").
3. Elisabetta did not give up her surname (Rosboch von Wolkenstein) on marriage.
4. Anna Astrid is always styled "Princess Anna Astrid" (never "Archduchess Anna Astrid"), even in her birth certificate.

Official information and sources about the titles of Elisabetta and Anna Astrid are quoted in these posts:
Anna Astrid: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...elgian-royal-family-38975-15.html#post2117594
Elisabetta: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...baudouins-death-2018-a-45454.html#post2146543

How the Royal Court addresses Prince Amedeo and his family can be seen in the official cards they publish:
http://koninklijkepost.punt.nl/category/view/amedeo-en-lilly

Elisabetta's surname can be seen in the decree of 2015, a year after their marriage, which addressed her as "Mrs. Elisabetta Maria Rosboch von Wolkenstein".
Moniteur Belge - Belgisch Staatsblad

I've been reading information on Elisabetta's family.

It is also interesting that she also has a connection to Liechtenstein.

Apart from bearing the same name she is related to Fürstin Elisabeth Sarlota (Elsa) von und zu Liechtenstein, born von Gutmann.

In fact, through her mother, Lili is her first cousin 4 times removed.

Elsa's father Wilhelm, Ritter von Gutmann was older brother of Lili's great-great-great grandfather David, Ritter von Gutmann.

It is also interesting that she also has a connection to Liechtenstein.

Apart from bearing the same name she is related to Fürstin Elisabeth Sarlota (Elsa) von und zu Liechtenstein, born von Gutmann.

In fact, through her mother, Lili is her first cousin 4 times removed.

Elsa's father Wilhelm, Ritter von Gutmann was older brother of Lili's great-great-great grandfather David, Ritter von Gutmann.

Thank you for the informations. :flowers:

:previous: I wonder why this has just been made public now (though Amedeo and Elisabetta do seem to be more private members of the BRF), though it's a lovely card nevertheless.

:previous: I wonder why this has just been made public now (though Amedeo and Elisabetta do seem to be more private members of the BRF), though it's a lovely card nevertheless.

There have been occasions before when I have seen a blogger posting a card from the royal family months after the event. I am not sure if it is the bloggers or the Palace who are tardy.

I had wondered if they'd had more children after settling in Switzerland, but if the family photograph is any indication it appears they have not.

Hope it's true. That would be wonderful news for the family!

A little boy would be a wonderful addition. Name choosing for a child is interesting.

If the report is true, I wonder if the royal palace will actually announce the pregnancy, birth, or name, seeing as the couple now lives in Switzerland. Even when they lived in Belgium, the announcement of their child's birth was displayed on the official social media but not on the official website. The pregnancy and name announcements were sent to the press and not released to the public at all, though media outlets did share them with the public.

Compared to other European royals in their position, including the Orange-Nassau princes, the York princesses, and Prince Nikolai of Denmark, the children of Princess Astrid have been kept virtually invisible by the palace and the press.

A little boy would be a wonderful addition. Name choosing for a child is interesting.

If they like the alliteration: Leopold Lorenz (but that seems highly unlikely).

According to the palace spokesman, Princess Anna Astrid was named for her grandmothers, so Ettore or Lorenz, perhaps? I am not sure if Ettore Lorenz or Lorenz Ettore would be considered a normal name to Belgian or Italian parents.

Congratulations are in order!!!

According to the palace spokesman, Princess Anna Astrid was named for her grandmothers, so Ettore or Lorenz, perhaps? I am not sure if Ettore Lorenz or Lorenz Ettore would be considered a normal name to Belgian or Italian parents.

From an Italian point of view Ettore Lorenz sounds better than the other way around, but maybe they won't repeat themselves, choosing their fathers' names

If the report is true, I wonder if the royal palace will actually announce the pregnancy, birth, or name, seeing as the couple now lives in Switzerland. Even when they lived in Belgium, the announcement of their child's birth was displayed on the official social media but not on the official website. The pregnancy and name announcements were sent to the press and not released to the public at all, though media outlets did share them with the public.

Compared to other European royals in their position, including the Orange-Nassau princes, the York princesses, and Prince Nikolai of Denmark, the children of Princess Astrid have been kept virtually invisible by the palace and the press.

Amedeo’s children are not princes of Belgium ( under the most recent royal decree of 2015), so I don’t think their birth has to be announced in any official website.

On the other hand, the Palace maintains that the Belgian Royal Family includes “ all descendants of Léopold III” , which would include Amedeo’s children, so it is a tough call.

Last edited:
Amedeo’s children are not princes of Belgium ( under the most recent royal decree of 2015), so I don’t think their birth has to be announced in any official website.

On the other hand, the Palace maintains that the Belgian Royal Family includes “ all descendants of Léopold III” , which would include Amedeo’s children, so it is a tough call.

If it was the "of [Country]" that mattered, though, the births of Prince Félix of Luxembourg's children or Princess Margriet of the Netherlands' grandchildren would not have been announced on the official websites of their respective families. Just as Amedeo's children are princes but not princes of Belgium under the royal decree of 2015 (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...elgian-royal-family-38975-15.html#post2117594), Félix's children are princes but not princes of Luxembourg under the Luxembourg house law of 2012 (Family Bylaws Concerning the House Law of the House of Luxembourg-Nassau). The grandchildren of Princess Margriet are completely untitled.

The Palace does not have to announce the births of any members of the Royal Family, even those of then-crown prince Philippe, but the handling of Princess Astrid's children and grandchildren is an interesting and noticeable difference from royals in the same position in nearby monarchies.

The Palace has just announced the birth of a baby boy for Amedeo and Elisabetta, yesterday, September 6th at 21h05 in Brussels.
Both the baby and the mother are well.
Congratulations!

Twitter - MonarchieBe

Congratulations to Amedeo and Elisabetta on the birth of the Archduke.

Delighted for them, one of each sex ! I Wonder how he will be called.

Congratulations to the family of four now!!!

Thank you, Marchesina. It's noteworthy that the couple chose to give birth in Belgium in spite of making their home in Switzerland - just as Princess Astrid gave birth to her five children in Belgium though she and her husband were based in Switzerland at the time. I wonder if both couples made the choice out of consideration of Belgium's citizenship laws.

I think the boy will be styled as Prince [name], just as his sister is styled Princess Anna Astrid (sources) and his father was styled Prince Amedeo before he was created a Prince of Belgium, but we'll see.

In contrast to the birth of their first child, the Palace chose to use the informal form to address the couple this time: "Prince Amedeo and Princess Elisabetta" without a territorial designation, rather than "Prince and Princess Amedeo of Belgium".

Le Prince Amedeo et la Princesse Elisabetta ont la grande joie d’annoncer la naissance d’un fils, né le 6 septembre 2019 à 21h05, à l’hôpital Saint-Pierre de Bruxelles. L’ enfant pèse 3.3 kilos et mesure 50 cm. La mère et l’enfant se portent bien.

Prins Amedeo en Prinses Elisabetta hebben de grote vreugde om de geboorte van hun zoon aan te kondigen. Hun zoontje werd geboren op 6 september om 21u05 in het UMC Sint-Pieter Ziekenhuis in Brussel en weegt 3,3 kg en meet 50 cm. Moeder en zoon stellen het goed.

Congratulations to Amedeo and Elisabetta on the birth of the Archduke.

Is the baby really an "archduke"? Isn´t he rather a Prince of Belgium? I mean, Austria doesn´t recognize the Habsburgs as "imperial" or noble any longer. Other than Germany Princely titles, be it just part of a name, are not recognized (not even a "von") in Austria. The last Habsburg Crown Prince Otto (member of the EU Parliament) was called "Otto von Habsburg" in Germany, while it was just "Otto Habsburg" (or, when being addressed personally "Herr/ Mr. Habsburg") in his homeland.

Is the baby really an "archduke"? [...] I mean, Austria doesn´t recognize the Habsburgs as "imperial" or noble any longer. Other than Germany Princely titles, be it just part of a name, are not recognized (not even a "von") in Austria. The last Habsburg Crown Prince Otto (member of the EU Parliament) was called "Otto von Habsburg" in Germany, while it was just "Otto Habsburg" (or, when being addressed personally "Herr/ Mr. Habsburg") in his homeland.

I agree with you, but nonetheless, the Belgian royal family and government consider Prince Lorenz and his descendants to have, in addition to their Belgian titles, the title of Archduke/Archduchess and the surname "of Austria-Este (Habsbourg-Lorraine)". For example, Lorenz was named as "Prins Lorenz, Otto, Carl, Amedeus, Prins van België, Aartshertog van Oostenrijk-Este" in the Staatsblad in 2002.

Isn´t he rather a Prince of Belgium?

Technically speaking, the baby is not a Prince "of Belgium" but he is a Prince of the Belgian royal house, as King Philippe chose to reserve "of Belgium" to children and grandchildren of sovereigns and future sovereigns in 2015 while allowing other descendants of Leopold I to remain Princes and Princesses of the royal house. Refer to article 4 of the Royal Decree of November 12, 2015 and article 5 of the Royal Decree of July 12, 2019.

12 November 2015. - Koninklijk besluit betreffende de verlening van de titel van Prins of Prinses van België

Translation:

Article 1. In the public and private acts relating to them, the Princes and the Princesses, children and grandchildren, born in direct descendance from the King as well as the Princes and the Princesses, children and grandchildren, born in direct descendance from the Crown Prince or the Crown Princess carry the title of Prince or of Princess of Belgium following their first name and, so far as they carry them, their family name and their dynastic title and ahead of the other titles to which their ancestry gives them the right. Their first name is preceded by the predicate His or Her Royal Highness.

Article 2. In the public and private acts relating to them, the Princes and the Princesses, children and grandchildren, born in direct descendance from His Majesty King Albert II carry the title of Prince or of Princess of Belgium following their first name, and, so far as they carry them, their family name and their dynastic title and ahead of the other titles to which their ancestry gives them the right. Their first name is preceded by the predicate His or Her Royal Highness.

Article 3. The Princes and the Princesses who already carry the title of Prince or of Princess of Belgium pursuant to the Royal Decree of 14 March 1891 qualifying the Princes and Princesses born in direct male descendance from His late Majesty Leopold I to be Princes and Princesses of Belgium retain this title following their first name and, so far as they carry it, their family name and before the other titles to which their ancestry gives them the right. Their first name is preceded by the predicate His or Her Royal Highness.

Article 4. The Princes and Princesses, born in direct descendance from His Majesty Leopold, George, Christian, Frederick of Saxe-Coburg, who are not covered by Articles 1 to 3, carry following their first name and, so far as they carry it, their family name, the titles to which their ancestry gives them the right.

12 Juli 2019. - Koninklijk besluit houdende vaststelling van het wapen van het Koninklijk Huis en van zijn leden

Translation:

[...]

Art. 3.

The Duke or Duchess of Brabant uses [a description of his or her coat of arms].

Art. 4.

The other Princes or Princesses of Belgium of the male-line and female-line descendance in direct line from His Majesty Leopold I use [a description of their coat of arms].

Art. 5.

The Princes or Princesses of Our Royal House who are not covered by article 4 use [a description of their coat of arms].

[...]

Last edited:
Congratulations to parents, big sister, grandparents and great-grandparents!

Welcome to the world, little Prince and Archduke! I can't wait to hear your name!

This is a very joyous occasion! Congratulations to Amedeo and Elisabetta!

The new baby Prince-Archduke is now 8th in the Belgian Line of succession,how it has grown ,Prince Laurent is now 13th.

Back
Top Bottom