Engagement of Princess Maria Laura and William Isvy; 27 Dec 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nonetheless, I wonder if the couple had their unusual for European royalty religious disparity in mind when they had someone (identified as their spokesman Hervé Verhoosel in one article) issue the following statement (which I don't think has been posted here yet) on their behalf when they announced their engagement. Given how private the couple are, there are not that many publicly known "differences" between them.

https://soirmag.lesoir.be/415125/article/2021-12-30/la-niece-du-roi-est-fiancee

Translation: "From the importance family has for them to their personal investment in their professional lives, from their interest in contemporary art to travel, from issues connected to the environment and the future of our society to the importance of of taking the time to simply talk with friends. Even if they have some differences, they complement each other very well and open new horizons for each other. It is a really beautiful story."

It's possible, but that statement is so mild and vague and could really cover any number of differences between two people, not just religion or culture. I think if Laura and William wanted to emphasize the fact she is Christian and he is Jewish any more than mentioning the music at their wedding, they would have discussed it by now — of course, no one seems to have asked them.

It's also possible they are waiting until after they are safely married in order to avoid extremist attention, but given they are private citizens and people, it seems unlikely.

It's possible, but that statement is so mild and vague and could really cover any number of differences between two people, not just religion or culture. I think if Laura and William wanted to emphasize the fact she is Christian and he is Jewish any more than mentioning the music at their wedding, they would have discussed it by now — of course, no one seems to have asked them.

My thought wasn't that the couple wanted to emphasize or discuss belonging to different religions. It was more about whether they might have anticipated commentary about their (religious?) differences and therefore issued that statement emphasizing how much they had in common "even if they have some differences".

Additional quotes from the September 2 press conference with the parents of Princess Maria Laura:

HRH Princess Astrid: "I have a feeling I'm going to be very moved. But I would like to say that Laura and William's wedding is an enormous occasion for us. As it was with Amedeo's wedding. But that didn't take place in Belgium. Which adds a whole other dimension this time. But Laura wanted to emphasize her Belgianness. She wanted to marry in Brussels where she was born and educated. She loves her city!"

HRH Princess Astrid: "We're delighted about Laura's wedding with William, who is fantastic. He's like a son to us."

HRH Prince Lorenz (joking): "Almost."

HRH Prince Lorenz: "I met William almost a year ago at the modern art bazaar in Basel. William and my daughter have a deep appreciation for modern art and William buys it. I was pleasantly surprised because I met someone very kind and pleasant, who loves family life. He works in finance, as I do. And he has a sense of humor. We got on very well right away."

HRH Princess Astrid: "More and more I understand my daughter's decision. In fact, regarding all of William's qualities - he's brave, strong, a hard worker, sporty - I noticed William had many points in common with Laura's father. My daughter has enormous admiration for her father."

HRH Prince Lorenz: "[My daughter is] someone who is very open to different cultures. She worked in China and studied Chinese. She lived for several years in Beijing and Shanghai." She is "very demanding on herself", loves family life and discreetness(?). "I'm sure she'll be a wonderful wife for William".

HRH Princess Astrid: (asked about being the first member of the royal family to have her civil wedding at the Brussels city hall; the previous ones were held in the royal palace) "Yes, it was very moving. It's already been nearly 38 years. We celebrate our 38th anniversary on September 22, twelve days after Laura's wedding. It was a marvelous day, even though it rained hard. They say 'rainy wedding, happy marriage', and I can confirm that really is the case. If I could redo it, I'd change some small details, but I would always do it with the same person. That's for certain!"

HRH Prince Lorenz (joking): "It's my lucky day."

HRH Princess Astrid: (on the involvement of family and friends in organizing the wedding) "The preparations are part of the celebration."

https://soirmag.lesoir.be/463097/ar...et-lorenz-william-est-comme-un-fils-pour-nous
https://www.pointdevue.fr/royal/belgique/les-tendres-confidences-dastrid-et-lorenz-de-belgique

If I remember correctly, Prince Lorenz also did not meet Lili Rosboch until fairly late in the relationship.

I wonder how long Maria Laura and William have been dating given that Lorenz says that he met him only a year ago... Did ML wait a long time before introducing him to her parents/father or did they date for a relatively short time before they decided to get married/got engaged.

Added:
He references 'almost a year ago' so most likely they met some time in September or at the latest October last year. They got engaged late December, so they met for the first time about 3 months before the engagement...

Last edited:
I wonder how long Maria Laura and William have been dating given that Lorenz says that he met him only a year ago... Did ML wait a long time before introducing him to her parents/father or did they date for a relatively short time before they decided to get married/got engaged.

I wondered about that, too. The palace's press release announcing the engagement stated that they met in London in 2015, but of course that does not necessarily mean they began dating then.

For whatever it is worth, the cathedral where the religious wedding will take place asks that couples hoping to marry there contact them at least a year in advance. William Isvy was also on the guestlist at the religious wedding of Princess Astrid of Liechtenstein and Rafe Worthington (September 25, 2021).

I wonder what are the "small details" Princess Astrid would change about her own wedding if she had a redo?;)

I wonder what are the "small details" Princess Astrid would change about her own wedding if she had a redo?;)

Maybe a different dress? Her dress was very much one for the 80s... not timeless at all :whistling:

Don't forget to minus at least a year due to Covid...maybe Lorenz is as confused about how long ago things happened as the rest of us :lol:

Yes Astrid's dress was rather "of the moment"

Maybe a different dress? Her dress was very much one for the 80s... not timeless at all :whistling:

Yes I agree it definitely was that! Even so I thought Astrid's gown was more successful than Diana's 80's ruffled and wrinkled mess. Astrid's dress actually fit her.:whistling:

I do think it was a mistake for her to skip wearing a beautiful tiara.

Hopefully there will be beautiful autumn sunshine for the wedding day!

Perhaps Princess Astrid meant that she would wear a tiara instead of flowers? As I wouldn't exactly call a wedding dress a "detail".

We'll see what her daughter wears this Saturday.

Having that said, when will the wedding thread be reopened?

Last edited:
I hope it's a good day for the wedding. I'm curious to know which tiara she will choose.

According to Dehandschutter via tweet, the wedding of Princess Maria-Laura and William Isvy on Saturday will still go as planned.

"A moment of prayer and reflection will be dedicated to HM Queen Elizabeth II during the religous celebration on Saturday afternoon", he added.

:previous: I am happy that the wedding will go on as planned.

The only members of the British Royal Family that I had suspected might attend were Beatrice and Edoardo, but of course that is out of the question now.

Yes, in these moments of darkness it will be nice to celebrate this joyful occasion

According to Dehandschutter via tweet, the wedding of Princess Maria-Laura and William Isvy on Saturday will still go as planned.

"A moment of prayer and reflection will be dedicated to HM Queen Elizabeth II during the religous celebration on Saturday afternoon", he added.

Why should the cancel it. Maria Laura is only very very distantly related to the Windsors and it will not be a State occasion but a private Wedding of the niece of the belgian King.

:previous: I am happy that the wedding will go on as planned.

The only members of the British Royal Family that I had suspected might attend were Beatrice and Edoardo, but of course that is out of the question now.

I am happy that it goes ahead as well. As selfish as it may sound, I was worried that the wedding would be altered with elements scrapped. The only alteration will be a moment of prayer for Queen Elizabeth, that is a nice gesture ?

Why should the cancel it. Maria Laura is only very very distantly related to the Windsors and it will not be a State occasion but a private Wedding of the niece of the belgian King.

Because a wedding is generally the opposite in feeling than a death and the subsequent events. Some might think it's disrespectful to celebrate a wedding when a global head of state has passed away only two days prior.

But in this case it is "lucky" that Princess Maria Laura is essentially a private person.

Back
Top Bottom