Skiing Accident Prince Laurent; February 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes,strange.While the Palace claims Prince Laurent already left the hospital,the hospital in Innsbruck says he's still in..:ohmy::ermm:...communications...:ermm:

The Prince is still in hospital and suffers of an injured liver,
that is,...the hospital isn't specific either and says "he bleeds near the liver" and gets extra care...what?..IC,Medium-care....que? ....

Last edited:
He is still in Hospital until Friday , I heard.
Un-lucky Prince , the only one who felt on the red carpet at Prince Albert of Monaco's wedding was him !

He is still in Hospital until Friday , I heard.
Un-lucky Prince , the only one who felt on the red carpet at Prince Albert of Monaco's wedding was him !

Yes he did didn't he....Still he's one of my favorites,going off the beaten track most of the time thus adding some colour in the Belgian Palaces,couleur locale in a otherwise often dull and too serious & tight-up Royal Household that ties his hands and treats him often as if he's daft.He's not.:)....It's also a sign on the wall how this is communicated between the Palace and the hospital,or rather isn't at all,the lack of it.It's Laurent...or so it seems...and they thought themselves lucky he was out of the way during their annual get together for the "afgestorven" members of the RF yesterday???...Btw,the accident happened yesterday too...but that only emerged today..:ermm:

I've only recently started to follow the Belgium royal family more closely but when reading your post lucien I understand that the feeling I got about the way the family treats him might be correct. He's not one of my favourites but he's also not as bad as sometimes he is portraited, IMO

I hope the ski accident was nothing too serious and that Laurent recovers quickly. This is why I'd never go skiing myself, I'd imagine that I'd end up having an accident of some sort...

A clip (in Dutch) by VTM:

Kathy Pauwels: 'Paleis wist niet dat Laurent op skivakanti... - De Standaard

When a lady in the public askedabout Prince Laurent, the duke of Brabant replied that perhaps due to his absence people will think more about him than when he would actually be there. The articlesays that Prince Philippe implied that his brother just stayed away to get attention... which isn'tall that far fetched in Laurents case IMHO.

Apparently the prince only cancelled the mass a few days ago and the palace had no idea where he went. WHen journalists called the palace for information, a spokes person asked for 15 minutes to figure out what happened, obviously not aware that anything did happen. The VTM crew asked theking about his sons health, he said it wasn't all that serious, but he didn't know much either.

Odd to see that the palace didn't change the communication structure with the press after the Fabiola debacle. This time 3 parties were communicating with the press: thepalace, the hospital and Laurents lawyer. All giving contradictory statements.

When I read it first I thought 'oh no',but thankfully this is believed to be not that serious!
I had exactly the same reaction. Luckily, this isn't a particularly serious injury and hopefully Laurent will leave hospital soon.

I am due to leave for a skiing holiday next week but stories like this (and especially poor Prince Friso's) will make me doubly cautious, even if I am a bit of a daredevil on slopes. Better safe than sorry.

When I read it first I thought 'oh no',but thankfully this is believed to be not that serious!

you are right An Ard Ri! these headlines brought back bad memories of last year! but thankfully this doesn't seem to be so bad...:huh:

It's interesting to see that the with 3 parties talking on the subject they haven't come out with an announcement or some sort of details. Is it that they think it is not important enough or have no clue?

I hope he gets better soon and leaves hospital.

The Royal Palace heard this news through the Press !!! What a Family .....

The Royal Palace heard this news through the Press !!! What a Family .....

I would assume that at least his family new about it but the press office of the palace were not informed. Maybe they thought that this wouldn't reach to the media.

Why would the Prince use his lawyer to speak to the press and not the palace? Maybe the palace doesn't comment of his life etc?

you are right An Ard Ri! these headlines brought back bad memories of last year! but thankfully this doesn't seem to be so bad...:huh:

Indeed,the first thing I thought was 'Prince in skiing accident' oh no,not again!

I had completely the same reaction!But thanks god he´s in a much better condition than Friso,he was "lucky" in that way.
Innsbruck has a very good surgery and university hospital-so he will receive the best health care possible.Wishing him a quick recovery!

Most flemish newspapers wrote about this showing how bad the relation between Laurent and the rest of the royal family (and their press office) is.

I think 'oh no' sums up the reaction of the people at the Innsbruck hospital.
Almost just a year after Friso, another prince. Fortunately not so bad this time.

After reading the English translation it appears Prince Laurent skied into another skier and sustained an injury to his liver. In my other life (prior to retirement) I was a critical care RN. Yes, thank goodness this is not a Prince Friso event. However, I am glad the prince is in a top notch hospital at Innsbruck (assume) as the potential for serious bleeding is certainly a concern. I reflect back to a young man that presented to my ICU with a soccer injury resulting in injury to his liver - it was a pretty significant event, yet he recovered and was discharged within a week. I was glad to see Princess Claire on the slopes with their children carrying on so as not to alert the children if anything more serious was going on with their father, which it may not be. Best wishes to the family.

:previous: Yes, any time an internal organ is damaged there is a potential for a serious bleed, so this was a good outcome.

As for the family finding out from the press, wow, I suppose that's one of the cons of being famous. While it suggests that familial relationships are strained, it could be that Laurent entered the hospital and was hoping to be released anonymously and without worrying his family. I've had family members face a medical event and call everyone else after getting good news. Perhaps he was hoping to do the same.

Or, maybe they really are dysfunctional..... who can say.......;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom