The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #361  
Old 12-06-2016, 01:33 PM
Alisa's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Prince Laurent had a meeting with the prime minister of Sri Lanka. The meeting was not approved by the government, as he did not inform them.This was confirmed by minister Didier Reynders. Some parlementarians now claim that the state should stop the dotation to Laurent.

"Trek zijn dotatie in": Laurent opnieuw kop van Jut na onderhoud met buitenlandse politicus - HLN.be
Can someone elaborate more on this story please?
Did Laurent lie about representing Belgium in arranging a meeting the Sri Lankan PM?
I find it hard to believe a Prime minister would randomly meet Laurent if he didn't have credentials or was justifiably invited to meet with the Prime Minister.
__________________

__________________
Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt. ---Phaedrus
  #362  
Old 12-06-2016, 02:34 PM
maria-olivia's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 6,088
Prince Laurent had to ask the Prime Minister if he could accept the Sri Lanka Invitation.
The Prime Minister said on TV , I would have said Yes you may go.
__________________

  #363  
Old 12-07-2016, 04:02 AM
iceflower's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: , Germany
Posts: 54,673
.

Yesterday, December 6, Prince Laurent attended the seminar '30 years of animal welfare in Belgium' at the Senate in Brussels:


** Pic ** gettyimages gallery **
__________________
**** Welcome aboard! ****
  #364  
Old 12-07-2016, 11:29 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: xxx, Antarctica
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Can someone elaborate more on this story please?
Did Laurent lie about representing Belgium in arranging a meeting the Sri Lankan PM?
I find it hard to believe a Prime minister would randomly meet Laurent if he didn't have credentials or was justifiably invited to meet with the Prime Minister.
According to Laurent's twitter account he receives many requests from officials, not sure how he got in touch with the PM of Sri Lanka. After guiding him around in his renewable energy house he put a picture on his twitter account. This was picked up by two staunchly republican members of parliament. They asked the Prime Minister if Laurent has asked for consent before meeting the PM and if there would be sanctions in case he didn't. (Laurent and all other members of the RF are obliged to ask for permission. This rule was introduced after Laurent's ill-fated journey to the Congo.) Rules are for everyone but Laurent and so he certainly didn't ask for permission. The prime minister basically saved Laurent by saying he would have gotten permission if he had asked but they will explain the rules to him again and that his dotation won’t be reduced because of this incident.
Laurent however thinks he has been treated unfairly again and had a meltdown in front of the cameras yesterday while visiting the Senate.
Prince Laurent unleashes bizarre rant in parliament
It's again all the fault of his family and of the politicians etc pp. The media is having a field day with him again. All he has achieved is another round of negative and damaging headlines and now the journalists are looking into his finances even closer with unflattering results of course.

Really, it's about time to stop this farce and abolish his and Astrid's dotation. He will be the free man he desires to be then, without lavish financial support of the taxpayer of course. For sure it will be cruel and nasty and he will air all kind of dirty laundry in the press, but can it be worse than it is now with incident after incident? He already is as disloyal as it gets. Better a miserable end than endless misery imo.
Also where is Claire in all this? Not that she is responsible for Laurent's nonsense, but he is basically gambling away their family income, shouldn't she stop him for the sake of their finances?
  #365  
Old 12-07-2016, 11:53 AM
melina premiere's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sassenage, France
Posts: 3,759
There are rules and Laurent has to follow them, yes, but in this interview, he is right to be angry, He says that all his life he has wanted to work for his associations for the defense of the animals, he is angry because some politicians are saying that the associations don't work, he is saying that they are working, the finances are OK

We know how is Laurent but he is doing a good work for the defense of the animals, we need to have persons like him for the animals.
  #366  
Old 12-07-2016, 11:54 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 10,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
.

Yesterday, December 6, Prince Laurent attended the seminar '30 years of animal welfare in Belgium' at the Senate in Brussels:


** Pic ** gettyimages gallery **
After this seminar in the Senate, Prince Laurent (a Senator himself) clashed with an interviewer after a question about the finances of one of the foundations the Prince is connected to ("the House of Renewable Energy"). In essence the Prince stated he was sick of some politicians and media always trying to paint him in a negative daylight and that he has contributed much more -financially- than he ever received from the State. Needless to say that this provoked a storm in online comments and on social media...
  #367  
Old 12-07-2016, 12:03 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 10,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mara* View Post
According to Laurent's twitter account he receives many requests from officials, not sure how he got in touch with the PM of Sri Lanka. After guiding him around in his renewable energy house he put a picture on his twitter account. This was picked up by two staunchly republican members of parliament. They asked the Prime Minister if Laurent has asked for consent before meeting the PM and if there would be sanctions in case he didn't. (Laurent and all other members of the RF are obliged to ask for permission. This rule was introduced after Laurent's ill-fated journey to the Congo.) Rules are for everyone but Laurent and so he certainly didn't ask for permission. The prime minister basically saved Laurent by saying he would have gotten permission if he had asked but they will explain the rules to him again and that his dotation won’t be reduced because of this incident.
Laurent however thinks he has been treated unfairly again and had a meltdown in front of the cameras yesterday while visiting the Senate.
Prince Laurent unleashes bizarre rant in parliament
It's again all the fault of his family and of the politicians etc pp. The media is having a field day with him again. All he has achieved is another round of negative and damaging headlines and now the journalists are looking into his finances even closer with unflattering results of course.

Really, it's about time to stop this farce and abolish his and Astrid's dotation. He will be the free man he desires to be then, without lavish financial support of the taxpayer of course. For sure it will be cruel and nasty and he will air all kind of dirty laundry in the press, but can it be worse than it is now with incident after incident? He already is as disloyal as it gets. Better a miserable end than endless misery imo.
Also where is Claire in all this? Not that she is responsible for Laurent's nonsense, but he is basically gambling away their family income, shouldn't she stop him for the sake of their finances?
Since Laurent claims he has contributed more to the State, than the State to him, gambling away the family income seems unlikely.

Your plea to remove the dotation from Princess Astrid, who has walked a spotless parcours, seem unfair to me. Let me give an example: your brother is fined for € 200,-- because of speed driving. You will be fined too. Hoppa: € 200,--. Maybe you will say: I have not exceeded the maximum speed, why am I fined? Well, because you are the sister of your brother, aren't you? Exactly the same logic you are following regarding Princess Astrid.
  #368  
Old 12-07-2016, 12:04 PM
maria-olivia's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 6,088
Next to him was Mrs Christine Defraigne , President of the Senate. She should not have allowed this interview in the Parlement House.
  #369  
Old 12-07-2016, 12:09 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: xxx, Antarctica
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by melina premiere View Post
There are rules and Laurent has to follow them, yes, but in this interview, he is right to be angry, He says that all his life he has wanted to work for his associations for the defense of the animals, he is angry because some politicians are saying that the associations don't work, he is saying that they are working, the finances are OK

We know how is Laurent but he is doing a good work for the defense of the animals, we need to have persons like him for the animals.
He is doing good work for animal welfare, I give him that. However he can claim whatever he wants, the finances are not in order and there is enough proof for it. Laurent just seems unable to see that he makes mayor mistakes and if he goes on like this nothing will ever change.
  #370  
Old 12-07-2016, 12:16 PM
melina premiere's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sassenage, France
Posts: 3,759
You say that the finances are not in order and there is enough proof, What do you you know about it?

I will believe it when I will have sure proof not what the news are saying.
I think nobody knows it.
  #371  
Old 12-07-2016, 12:21 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: xxx, Antarctica
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Since Laurent claims he has contributed more to the State, than the State to him, gambling away the family income seems unlikely.
He seems to be the only one who believes this. He is constantly whining he hasn't enough money and a few years ago he claimed that Astrid can afford to lose the dotation but he can't. He needs the dotation and he knows it.

Quote:
Your plea to remove the dotation from Princess Astrid, who has walked a spotless parcours, seem unfair to me. Let me give an example: your brother is fined for € 200,-- because of speed driving. You will be fined too. Hoppa: € 200,--. Maybe you will say: I have not exceeded the maximum speed, why am I fined? Well, because you are the sister of your brother, aren't you? Exactly the same logic you are following regarding Princess Astrid.
It has nothing to do with Astrid being collatoral damage of Laurent's behaviour. I think it's not desirable to fund members of the RF other than the king, the queen, the CP and retired monarchs.
  #372  
Old 12-07-2016, 12:50 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: xxx, Antarctica
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by melina premiere View Post
You say that the finances are not in order and there is enough proof, What do you you know about it?

I will believe it when I will have sure proof not what the news are saying.
I think nobody knows it.
Well, if you don't trust the news/media than you can still look into the lawsuits Laurent's foundations are involved with. Or search the database of the federal parliament for the many questions around Laurent's antics. Laurent also needs to publish the financial reports of his GRECT foundation which is in the red for many years. And so on…
  #373  
Old 12-07-2016, 12:53 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: xxx, Antarctica
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Next to him was Mrs Christine Defraigne , President of the Senate. She should not have allowed this interview in the Parlement House.
Defraigne tried to stop him, but he didn't listen to her. She was clearly embarrased by the situation, not the least because he insulted her too with his rant against the politicans.
  #374  
Old 12-07-2016, 01:12 PM
melina premiere's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sassenage, France
Posts: 3,759
There are questions on the finances of the associations but it is as in other parlements, there are questions but the finances are not bad.

He did not insulted her, he was only angry against the politicians and he was right. The politicians are not better than the prince, the people of Belgium pay a lot for them.
  #375  
Old 12-07-2016, 01:33 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: xxx, Antarctica
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by melina premiere View Post
There are questions on the finances of the associations but it is as in other parlements, there are questions but the finances are not bad.
We agree to disagree then.

Quote:
He did not insulted her, he was only angry against the politicians and he was right. The politicians are not better than the prince, the people of Belgium pay a lot for them.
She is a poltican, the president of the senate even and he insulted politicans as a whole. So yes, he insulted her too. And its not the first time he does this. Last year he called politicans crétins for ex.
  #376  
Old 12-07-2016, 01:59 PM
maria-olivia's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 6,088
Very bad attitude for our Monarchy. A gift for the anti-Royals.
  #377  
Old 12-07-2016, 04:58 PM
Marengo's Avatar
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 22,004
Oh dear, he surely is a gift that just keeps on giving.

His financial conumdrums are indeed well reported. Nothing has been proven though IIRC.

Didn't he recently sue the Libyan state for money his company invested in a forest programme under Ghadaffi?

I believe that the prince needs to get approval from the government when meeting foreign government leaders after he went to the Congo unannounced in 2011 and met with Kabila.
__________________
TRF Rules and FAQ
  #378  
Old 12-07-2016, 05:10 PM
maria-olivia's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 6,088
Marengo , yes the Prince needs an approval of our Governnment. He knows it. But this evening I saw of top of the news (RTL) his interview in a Corridor of the Parlement next to the President of the Senate
He used bad words for some Politicians and for his own family.
the Late Prime Minister Jean Luc De Haene should have refused the Dotations King Albert II asked for Princess Astrid and Prince Laurent.
  #379  
Old 12-07-2016, 05:29 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: xxx, Antarctica
Posts: 227
Dehaene and Verhofstade were responsible for implementing the dotations, but the main mistake was not theirs. It was one of Albert's biggest mistakes to demand the dotations and make sure they were granted at a time (2000/01) when Philippe was already married and about to start a family. And so much misery and pain could have been avoided if Albert and Paola had been there for their children, had taken care of them and their education...
  #380  
Old 12-07-2016, 05:43 PM
maria-olivia's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 6,088
Always well informed Mara, but the late Prime Minister De Haene said he did a mistake. He should have refused the King's demand.
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
prince aymeric, prince laurent, prince nicholas, princess claire, princess louise


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prince Laurent, Princess Claire & Family - News & Events, Part 6; Dec 2016 - present Marengo Prince Laurent, Princess Claire and Family 432 10-22-2020 12:28 PM
Prince Laurent & Princess Claire - News & Pictures, part 4; Aug 2006 - Dec 2013 purple_platinum Current Events Archive 521 01-09-2014 11:16 AM
Prince Laurent and Princess Claire: News and Pictures, Part 3; June 2005 - Aug. 2006 martha-louise Current Events Archive 185 08-28-2006 09:12 AM
Prince Laurent And Princess Claire, Current Events, Part 2 USCtrojan Current Events Archive 187 06-27-2005 12:04 PM
Prince Laurent And Princess Claire, Current Events, Part 1 Alexandria Current Events Archive 68 04-08-2004 03:42 AM




Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes abdication anastasia 2020 armstrong-jones baby names bangladesh baptism biography bridal gown brownbitcoinqueen canada carolin chittagong clarence house coronavirus dna dubai duke of sussex dutch royal family earl of snowdon emperor facts fantasy movie general news thread george vi heraldry hill historical drama history hochberg introduction jumma kent languages list of rulers luxembourg mail mary: crown princess of denmark northern ireland norway history palestine pless popularity prince dimitri princess alexia (2005 -) princess chulabhorn princess dita princess of orange queen consort queen mathilde royal court royal dress-ups royal jewels royal spouse royalty royalty of taiwan royal wedding royal wedding gown russian court dress settings startling new evidence stuart swedish queen thailand tips tracts uae customs united kingdom united states of america von hofmannsthal


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:34 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×