Names and godparents for Guillaume and Stephanie's second child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Name and gender have been revealed today ?

OMG! just when I had given up hope about the baby being born in late March. I had Henri as first middle name choice. :cool:

They had to struggle for so many years, and when a baby finally arrived, it was utter perfection in the form of Charles, and now he has a little brother, G&S a second bundle of joy, and the Grand Duchy has a third boy in the line of succession.
Blessed family, they deserved it.

Last edited:
As the future Grand-Duke (Charles) had no foreign godparents, I assume also François will not have these.

Charles' godparents were his uncle Prince Louis of Luxembourg and his aunt Gaëlle comtesse de Lannoy.

François really surprised me – I wonder if they would've gone for Françoise, a favourite of mine, had he been a girl. But after Charles, I should've known Guillaume and Stéphanie love the classics :D A bit puzzled by the spelling of Luis but maybe they just prefer that to Louis.

Last edited:
I'm sure we will hear more on the origins of the names ,I'd never have guessed François!

François is a surprise. I loved it.
Henri, Marie and Guillaume were already expected but not Luis. I imagine it is a tribute to Maria Teresa's younger brother, Luis Mestre, who died last year, also to uncle Prince Louis and a reminder of the new prince's Latin American heritage.

So cute

Yes, Francois is indeed a big surprise (and bigger than Charles of course). Interesting choice of name.

As for godparents I think that Prince Felix and one of Stephanie's sisters will be chosen. I wonder if christening will take place in Clervaux Abbey (place where Charles was christened) or probably in Fischbach where family live.

Charles really was no surprise. The name of a brother of Grand Duke Jean, it was one of the few senior royal names in the family not in use currently. Also was middle name of Stephanie's paternal grandfather.

Francois there is a precedent among the former Duchy of Luxembourg, Francois-Henri was the first duke of the House of Montmorency. But yes still very unexpected choice to say the least.

I assume we will see as we did with Charles, a godparent from each side. This is pretty traditional with the Lux royals. They don't do the foreign royal route.

Charles had

Countess Gaelle De Lannoy-maternal aunt
Prince Louis-paternal Uncle

I'd not be shocked if we saw

-Princess Alexandra: paternal aunt
-one of Stephanie's brothers

Last edited:
Danish royals do not reveal a new baby's name until the child's christening ceremony.
At least we were able to learn Prince Francois' name on the day he was born.

Charles really was no surprise. The name of a brother of Grand Duke Jean, it was one of the few senior royal names in the family not in use currently. Also was middle name of Stephanie's paternal grandfather.

Francois there is a precedent among the former Duchy of Luxembourg, Francois-Henri was the first duke of the House of Montmorency. But yes still very unexpected choice to say the least.

I assume we will see as we did with Charles, a godparent from each side. This is pretty traditional with the Lux royals. They don't do the foreign royal route.

Charles had

Countess Gaelle De Lannoy-maternal aunt
Prince Louis-paternal Uncle

I'd not be shocked if we saw

-Princess Alexandra: paternal aunt
-one of Stephanie's brothers
Definitely two siblings: one on each side. Somehow it seems Guillaume and Felix aren't that close (for example, Felix chose Louis and Alexandra as godparents for his children - and Guillaume picked Louis over Felix, while they are further apart in age). However, so far he is the only one that hasn't been chosen, so that might be a reason to pick him this time? In that way, all brothers would be godfather to one of their nephews; while Alexandra is both a godmother to her eldest nephew as well as her only niece.

Royal godparents within the Luxembourg GD family:

Gabriel: Alexandra
Noah: Guillaume

Amalia: Alexandra
Liam: Sébastien

Charles: Louis
Francois: ?

Definitely two siblings: one on each side. Somehow it seems Guillaume and Felix aren't that close (for example, Felix chose Sébastien and Alexandra as godparents for his children - and Guillaume picked Louis over Felix, while they are further apart in age). However, so far he is the only one that hasn't been chosen, so that might be a reason to pick him this time? In that way, all brothers would be godfather to one of their nephews; while Alexandra is both a godmother to her eldest nephew as well as her only niece.

Francois: ?

And again Felix is skipped as a godparent: it is Alexandra again! And as many expected: one of Stéphanie's brothers: she picked Christian.

Francois: Alexandra

Hopefully, Alexandra and/or Sébastien will pick him for one of their children.

Last edited:
Just as I predicted:

A female from the GD family, and a male from the Lannoy.

For Charles it was a female from the Lannoy and a male from the LRF.

Alexandra is already a godmother - to her firstborn nephew Prince Gabriel (son of Prince Louis).

Good that other family members got this chance! (especially giving the fact that both Guillaume and Stephanie come from big families and there are many candidates to be godparents).

And now godmother of François

Back
Top Bottom