HGD Stéphanie's Family - The de Lannoys

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Who was the blond woman pictured with GD Henri?

The blond Lady is Stpehanie's Sister.

A small correction, if I may: The blond woman walking next to Grand Duke Henri is not Stéphanie's sister but rather her sister-in-law. She was born in Spain as Luisa Constanza Moreno de Porras-Isla-Fernández, and she is married to Stéphanie's brother (and godfather) Count Christian. Hence she is now known as the Countess Christian de Lannoy. Count Christian was charged with receiving the Queen of the Belgians at the funeral, and his wife accompanied the Grand Duke of Luxembourg.

Count Christian and his wife can be seen here at Stéphanie's wedding: http://www.luxarazzi.com/2012/11/the-lannoys-at-wedding.html

And here they are at their own wedding: http://peoplebrightandbeautiful.blogspot.com/2016/02/luisa-moreno-count-christian-de-lannoy.html

Last edited:
I too was wondering where was the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg,nice to see the queen of Belgium at the Counts Funeral Mass.

I remember reading not to long ago that Grand Duchess of Luxembourg “does not like to fly”. Her daughter has stepped in for her before at an event that the Grand Duc went to because of flying. Perhaps that is the reason and I for one cannot blame her.

I remember reading not to long ago that Grand Duchess of Luxembourg “does not like to fly”. Her daughter has stepped in for her before at an event that the Grand Duc went to because of flying. Perhaps that is the reason and I for one cannot blame her.

It's 3 hrs drive. That cannot be the reason imo. I assume she had another engagement that was impossible to move or skip or was ill.

It's 3 hrs drive. That cannot be the reason imo. I assume she had another engagement that was impossible to move or skip or was ill.

Agreed. GD Maria-Teresa wouldn't have missed this unless she is ill or she was representing the Grand Duke for an important occasion, i.e. foreign dignitaries in Luxembourgh.

I feel sorry for the de Lannoy's with the media intrusion. It's horrible :sad:

Hopefully the Lannoy family will be left alone now. Maybe it's better the photographers focused on the royals instead of the grieving family. I don't know. There would be little or zero press if Stephanie had not married HGD Guillaume or if Queen Mathilde wasn't close to the family. However, their positions and relationships are reality.

For those wondering... Grand Duchess Maria Teresa was at an award ceremony in Paris.

She managed shorter flights (i.e. - 80th birthday celebrations for King and Queen of Norway and Finland state visit) but I think she flies when she absolutely has to. It's not necessary to fly between Luxembourg, Paris and Belgium. 3-4 hours in a car is feasible unless her schedule is packed. Probably not worth the anxiety for such short flights.

The Grand Duchess had an engagement in Paris today. Maybe it was best not to cancel it?

Archduchess Yolande also attended the funeral, she and count Philippe were 1st cousins through the de Ligne family.

I believe I did not see the sister that is in a religious order?

I must say I had to look twice to recognize Prince Guillaume. He has changed a lot! It is a great honour to the late Comte de Lannoy that the Grand-Duke of Luxembourg and the Queen of the Belgians did attend his funeral.

The Palace of Luxembourg released a statement about the absence of the Grand Duchess Maria Teresa from the funeral of Count Philippe de Lannoy and mention that the Grand Duchess she is very close with the HGD Stephanie and she has with her thoughts and affection throughout the day.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsvurbfFSPM/

The Palace of Luxembourg released a statement about the absence of the Grand Duchess Maria Teresa from the funeral of Count Philippe de Lannoy and mention that the Grand Duchess she is very close with the HGD Stephanie and she has with her thoughts and affection throughout the day.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsvurbfFSPM/

They must have felt they had something to explain. If you need to write about how close you are to someone that's always a bit suspect. That should show...

I think Countess Alix was already ill when Stephanie and Guillaume celebrated their engagement.

They must have felt they had something to explain. If you need to write about how close you are to someone that's always a bit suspect. That should show...

Maybe I missed something but did they give a reason as to the absence of the Grand Duchess?

:previous:

She had an official event at the Insitut de France in Paris with the wife of the French president. She assisted in the handing out of the awards Fondation Stéphane Bern pour l’Histoire et le Patrimoine-Institut de France. The Grand Duchess did chose to wear a black outfit, probably not by coincidence.

Last edited:
:previous: Exactly...I don't think it is really that remarkable that MT didn't attend.Stephanie was well supported.

Last edited:

That’s a bit cynical.

I suspect MT simply wanted to show some public support to her daughter in law after missing the funeral due to having an official engagement.

I can't Believe how Prince Guillaume has changed physically…. of course no beard and glasses must change someone's look !

:previous: By PRINCE Guillaume do you mean HGD Guillaume? Because Prince Guillaume is the uncle of the HGD Guillaume and he was there as well.

The Grand Duchess was seen at the Cocktail afer the Event at the Institut de France with Princess Beatrice of Bourbon S. She seemed to be very happy and proud to be there with Madame Macron. Stephane Bern is a Journalist not more .
Her place was at Anvaing. Hed Grand Duchess Sephanie was really the most devasted of all the de Lannoy Children..

Her Mother had 8 Chldren her brothers and Sister has many Children. And She, who has to give a Heir to Luxembourg, is not pregnant yet. That is terrible !

It's nice to see Queen Mathilde attending the funeral, too. Does she have any familial connections to the de Lannoy family? I'm sure I read somewhere that she is a distant cousin of Stephanie though a more knowledgable TRF member on the Benelux nobility can correct me on that!
My condolences to the family and friends.

Mathilde is a longtime friend of the family, pre-dating Stephanie's engagement to Guillaume. One of Stephanie's sisters was a witness at the Mathilde/Philippe wedding.

Mathilde along with the late Queen Fabiola, also attended the funeral of Countess Alix de Lannoy.

Mathilde is a longtime friend of the family, pre-dating Stephanie's engagement to Guillaume. One of Stephanie's sisters was a witness at the Mathilde/Philippe wedding.

Mathilde along with the late Queen Fabiola, also attended the funeral of Countess Alix de Lannoy.

Thanks Moonmaiden. Knew there was a connection somewhere! ?

The Grand Duchess was seen at the Cocktail afer the Event at the Institut de France with Princess Beatrice of Bourbon S. She seemed to be very happy and proud to be there with Madame Macron. Stephane Bern is a Journalist not more .
Her place was at Anvaing. Hed Grand Duchess Sephanie was really the most devasted of all the de Lannoy Children..

Her Mother had 8 Chldren her brothers and Sister has many Children. And She, who has to give a Heir to Luxembourg, is not pregnant yet. That is terrible !

I agree with you. Maria Teresa should have been at the funeral. It looks unbecoming that she did not attend. Regarding Stephanie, it is ironic that her mother was so fertile as are her many siblings, yet we are 6 years into the royal marriage and no baby. The court of Luxembourg of course says nothing. What can they say? I feel really sorry for Stephanie. Her parents must have been very proud that she married a royal heir, yet, the mother unexpectantly died before the wedding and the father dies before she is able to produce an heir. Her mother would have been so proud to see Stephanie walk down the aisle with a prince and her father equally proud to further consolidate the noble Lannoy family with the birth of a princely heir. Now nothing. On top of the pain of losing her father, it must weigh heavily on Stephanie that she was not able to give her father that desired grandson. It's heartbreaking to see her in the photographs. She looks as if she is the very personification of pain and hurt.

Last edited:
I can't Believe how Prince Guillaume has changed physically…. of course no beard and glasses must change someone's look !

You are absolutely right. Guillaume has changed so much. He has aged dramatically.

we don't know for sure the reasons of guillaume and stephanie not having a baby. she is 34 so it is not that she is old to have children.

You are absolutely right. Guillaume has changed so much. He has aged dramatically.

I think that both Williams, the ones in Britain and Luxembourg, look aged beyond their years! They were born 7 months apart and are in their mid-30's.

But they could both be a decade older.:ermm::ohmy:

That’s a bit cynical.

Yes, it was because imo the instagram post was 'over the top'. I don't think that the GD's absence tells us anything about their relationship but the instagram post telling how close they are (including a picture whithout any interaction between the pair) to me has the oppossite effect. It seems fake. A simpler statement that the GD was sorry to miss the HGD's father funeral due to a previous foreign engagement would have been sufficient and in my eyes would have looked more sincere.

The GD never has any "interaction" in her photos with her daughters-in-law...never.

With her husband,absolutely. With her children? Occasionally. With her grand-children and her pets? Yes.
Yet MT has waxed poetic about her daughters in law in print...Stephanie for her dignity and courage under immense pressure, Claire for her sense of humor, and even the disgraced Tessy for being a commoner and adapting to Royal life.

As for Stephanie? She is one of the most formal-some say stiff- young women on the Royal scene, if not the most of all.

If someone can find a photo of her embracing her in-laws, ANY of them- I'd be grateful.;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom