HGD Stéphanie's Family - The de Lannoys

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did Count Philippe served in the army during World War II?

Yes he did...and during the Count's time at the front King Leopold III(Baudouin's father) signed some type of pact with the German army at the de Lannoy seat..Anvaing Castle...I am foggy on the details... but the Germans shot a hole in the ceiling of one the historic rooms of the castle during their sojourn there.

The decision was made not to repair the damage and the hole remains to this day.

The Count de Lannoy, along with Grand Duke Jean, was one of a dying breed of aristocrat/ soldiers who served actively on the front during WWII

Last edited:
The Count de Lannoy, along with Grand Duke Jean, was one of a dying breed of aristocrat/ soldiers who served actively on the front during WWII

And with the Duke of Edinburgh.

:previous: Indeed...thank you Biri!;)

They are/were part of the fabled Greatest Generation.

:previous: Why are you upset? I posted that men like the late Count are part of a dying breed.. I did not mean to imply that he and Grand Duke Jean and the Duke of Edinburgh were the ONLY men in this exalted group, not the only ones.

I am sorry if I was not clear. Thank you for mentioning more.

The Count de Lannoy served his country as every Belgian. He must not be compared with the Duke of Edinburgh or Lord Mounbatten .

Years ago , He worked as jurist where I worked too in the Cabinet of the Minister of Justice . I met him every day. A very pleasant and helpful aristocrat of one de the most important noble families of Belgium.
He married late and had his last Child Stephanie when he was 60 years old.
All my respect for the late Count Philippe de Lannoy

And yet nothing you've stated disproves my original claim. I acknowledged Stephanie's family were ennobled earlier than the Spencers but the Spencers have many more royal ancestors. When Prince William becomes king, he will be the first British monarch to be a descendent of King Charles II.

Through his mother William is a descendent of the House of Stuart and through his Father he is a member of the House of Glucksburg

Also including the Duke of Cambridge, 14 Spencers thave been made Knights of the Order of the Garter

I don't think illegitimate lines should be counted. How many of the royal ancestors are from legitimate lines?

The Count de Lannoy served his country as every Belgian. He must not be compared with the Duke of Edinburgh or Lord Mounbatten .

Years ago , He worked as jurist where I worked too in the Cabinet of the Minister of Justice . I met him every day. A very pleasant and helpful aristocrat of one de the most important noble families of Belgium.
He married late and had his last Child Stephanie when he was 60 years old.
All my respect for the late Count Philippe de Lannoy

When in his thirties he most likely didn't expect to raise 8 children... He married at 42 or 43 years of age. Had his first child when 43 or 44 and his last at 61 1/2 years old.

and Lord Mountbatten and Prince Michael of Kent etc etc etc:bang:

The discussion was about those who fought in. WWII and are still living. The greatest generation referring to those who lived and fought WWII. Due to the time since the war ended, the amount of living veterans from the war decrease every year. It's been over 73 years since the war ended.

While Prince Michael, like other members of the royal family, served in action he does not belong to that generation. Prince Michael was born in 1942. Lord Mountbatten indeed belonged to the generation, but he has of course died.

Philip, jean and people like Count de Lannoy are living representatives of that generation. Certainly there are other examples we could include if we looked.

yes Somebody, When I worked at the same time of him we celebrated the birth of hs first Child . He was in the 40ties but did look younger.

I am sad about the above discussion which has nothing to do with Belgium .
I read comte Philippe de Lannoy is Chevalier de l' Ordre de Leopold , civil Order.

Is it known when the funeral will take place?

No date yet but the funerals will take place at Anvaing st Amand Church as for his late wife.

I wonder if the Grand Ducal Court has lowered the flag, and will declare a period of mourning for the late Count as they did for his wife in 2012?.

In our newspaper to day : Funerals 16th of January St Amand Church in Anvaing.
No LAR but only Le Grand Duc Héritier et la Grande Duchesse Héritière du Luxembourg.

Last edited:
In our newspaper to day : Funerals 16th of November St Amand Church in Anvaing.
No LAR but only Le Grand Duc Héritier et la Grande Duchesse Héritière du Luxembourg.

Do you mean 16. January?

Sorry yes I corrected.
For the then Princess Mathilde Father's Funerals , the Family had to wait outside for King Albert II and Queen Paola who arrived late.
I hope this time the Grand Ducal family will come in time.

Neither Stephanie nor the other attendees at the funeral seems happy about the press being present. I don't blame them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neither Stephanie nor the other attendees at the funeral seems happy about the press being present. I don't blame them.

Of course it is not nice if you are photographed at such sad Events but if one is a public person this belons to it.
I can also see Archduchess Marie Astrid and her mother-in-law Archduxess Yolanda among the guests. And the photo-caption in rexphotos says Prince de Ligne but is not the present Prince, perhaps one of his brothers dont know them.

Last edited:
:previous: I think the Count was a de Ligne through his mother?

As for the press, they were out en masse when Countess de Lannoy died as well, but poor Stephanie appeared to be dazed and barely aware of them.

My condolences to the family.

I wonder why GD Maria Teresa didn't attend? Who was the blond woman pictured with GD Henri?

No Press if Stephanie did not marry HRH Hed Grand Duke of Luxembourg.
I feel sorry for the family and people of Anvaing.
The blond Lady is Stpehanie's Sister.

Before , Never a King or a Queen of the Belgians attend weddings or Funerals of Belgian Nobility. King Albert II and Paola attend Count Patrick d'Udekem 's Funerals because it was Princess Mathilde's Father. But not Princess Astrid and Prince Laurent.
Since King Philippe's Reign Queen Mathilde attend the de Ligne Wedding and now a the de Lannoy Funeral.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too was wondering where was the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg,nice to see the queen of Belgium at the Counts Funeral Mass.

Yes and no , because it was not a real family Event. More pictures of the Royals than the family which was in such a sorrow.

yes Somebody, When I worked at the same time of him we celebrated the birth of hs first Child . He was in the 40ties but did look younger.

I am sad about the above discussion which has nothing to do with Belgium .
I read comte Philippe de Lannoy is Chevalier de l' Ordre de Leopold , civil Order.

I had a look and the Count held the following Belgian royal Orders

Officer of the Order of Leopold II
Knight of the Order of Leopold.

I wonder why GD Maria Teresa didn't attend? Who was the blond woman pictured with GD Henri?

Luisa Moreno de Porras-Isla-Fernández, wife of count Christian (the 2nd of the 8 siblings). So, sister -in-law (not sister as was previously stated) of Stephanie. Christian himself was pictured with queen Mathilde.

On one of the other pictures eldest brother Jehan is accompanying the grand duke.

Before , Never a King or a Queen of the Belgians attend weddings or Funerals of Belgian Nobility. King Albert II and Paola attend Count Patrick d'Udekem 's Funerals because it was Princess Mathilde's Father. But not Princess Astrid and Prince Laurent.
Since King Philippe's Reign Queen Mathilde attend the de Ligne Wedding and now a the de Lannoy Funeral.

One of Stephanie's sisters is very close to Mathilde since they were in school together. She was a witness at Mathilde's wedding to Philippe when he was Duc de Brabant.

I cannot remember which of the sisters but it's one of the older ones and it explains why Mathilde attended the funerals of both Countess de Lannoy and now the Count de Lannoy. The de Lannoy have a link to the Belgian crown going back to the days of King Albert I...it's perhaps why the late Queen Fabiola attended the funeral of Countess Alix de Lannoy as well.

Last edited:
And the photo-caption in rexphotos says Prince de Ligne but is not the present Prince, perhaps one of his brothers dont know them.

:previous: I think the Count was a de Ligne through his mother?

I believe the photo caption is simply mistaken. The person identified in the photos as the Prince de Ligne is instead one of the brothers of the Hereditary Grand Duchess: Count Christian de Lannoy. https://geneall.net/fr/name/422752/christian-comte-de-lannoy/

But, yes... the mother of the deceased Count Philippe was born Princess Marie Béatrix de Ligne. She was a great-aunt - a sister of the grandfather - of the current Prince de Ligne.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom