HGD Stéphanie's Family - The de Lannoys

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those are interesting facts about Stephanie's family. Great to learn about it too.

The de Lannoy family who becames the Delano family is not the same de Lannoy family HGD belongs to. There are many de Lannoy families not at all related. However, FDR and HGD Stéphanie are very distant cousins as they share a common ancestor at the beginning of the 16th century.

I didn't say anything about it being the exact same family...I mentioned different lines of descent from the de Lannoys, both Flemish/Dutch and French.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt is from the Dutch branch and is indeed distantly related to Stephanie, as she herself mentioned in the France2 documentary on Guillaume's grandmother.

I think Stephanie is very pretty and seems like she is adjusting well to royal life. Lady Diana Spencer whose lineage is far greater than Stephanie's had a much more difficult time with the transition from nobility to life at court.

I think Stephanie is very pretty and seems like she is adjusting well to royal life. Lady Diana Spencer whose lineage is far greater than Stephanie's had a much more difficult time with the transition from nobility to life at court.

Stephanie is around 30 years old, and she is into a marriage which seems harmonius and happy. Diana was only twenty, marrying a quite "uknown" man to her, whose mind and heart was otherwhere,,. she was feeling this since the beginning.
United Kinkdom is not Luxembourg, and in top of that, apparently Dians was left "alone" into her new duties, without help or advise.
All these factors make that there is no comparison between the two ladies, hopefully for Stephanie.

I didn't say anything about it being the exact same family...I mentioned different lines of descent from the de Lannoys, both Flemish/Dutch and French.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt is from the Dutch branch and is indeed distantly related to Stephanie, as she herself mentioned in the France2 documentary on Guillaume's grandmother.

It has been proved they don't belong to the same line of descent. They are related and share common ancestors but not the de Lannoy ancestors. As I said, de Lannoy is a very common name in Flanders and the North of France. All the people named de Lannoy are not different lines of descent of the sames ancestries. Not at all. It would be like suggestion everyone named Dupont or Smith are different lines of descent of an only family.

It has been proved they don't belong to the same line of descent. They are related and share common ancestors but not the de Lannoy ancestors. As I said, de Lannoy is a very common name in Flanders and the North of France. All the people named de Lannoy are not different lines of descent of the sames ancestries. Not at all. It would be like suggestion everyone named Dupont or Smith are different lines of descent of an only family.

True Sancia, but the point is that she and President Roosevelt are distantly related and share a name...those are the salient points.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delano_family
If the connection was insignificant, Stephanie would not have spoken of it.

Last edited:
True Sancia, but the point is that she and President Roosevelt are distantly related and share a name...those are the salient points.

Delano family - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If the connection was insignificant, Stephanie would not have spoken of it.

I did not denied FDR and HGD Stéphanie are sharing a name. What I am trying to explain is that they are not sharing de Lannoy ancestors. Wikipedia link's statement is that the Delano family's ancestor is Guisbert de Lannoy. All the serious genealogical researchers in France and Belgium have studied the alleged connection between Jean de Lannoy and Guilbert de Lannoy and the current conclusion they all agree with is that Guilbert de Lannoy has never existed and that no one knows for sure who were Jean de Lannoy's parents. The de Lannoy family HGD belongs to has its share of familial legend about the name connection with FDR. I am sorry for HGD who looks very sympathetic to me but it is a wrong genealogical fact. I am deeply involved in genealogical researches in France and I can't say anything other than it is a familial legend, one like many others we so like to believe in.

A few posts not relevant to the topic at hand have been removed. Please remember that we discourage comparisons between royals.

All due respect, I would be hesitant to say that Diana Spencer's lineage is far greater than Stephanie's. Stephanie comes from one of the most prestigious families in Belgium and while the late Diana had royal lines of descent, so does Stephanie, but the Lannoy's date back to the 1300's, while the Spencers became ennobled much later in 1603.

Last edited:
Not most prestigious only in Belgium, but on the Continent as well, with connections to the Royal House of France through the de Lignes.

Not most prestigious only in Belgium, but on the Continent as well, with connections to the Royal House of France through the de Lignes.

Thank you for correcting me Moonmaiden. In deed, Stephanie's pedigree is unrivaled. Guillaume couldn't have done better if he had invented her! You can bet your bottom dollar that even the extremely demanding late Josephine Charlotte would have heartedly approved of Guillaume's choice of a bride.

Thank you for correcting me Moonmaiden. In deed, Stephanie's pedigree is unrivaled. Guillaume couldn't have done better if he had invented her! You can bet your bottom dollar that even the extremely demanding late Josephine Charlotte would have heartedly approved of Guillaume's choice of a bride.

Sadly enough, just 80-90 years ago the prospect of marriage between a future ruler of a European country and someone belonging to a distinguished but unmediatized family such as the de Lannoys would've sent shock waves through the courts of Europe. Think off the scandal when Franz Ferdinand married Sophie von Chotek and all the suffering it caused to the people involved just because of her so called "lower rank".

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Sadly enough, just 80-90 years ago the prospect of marriage between a future ruler of a European country and someone belonging to a distinguished but unmediatized family such as the de Lannoys would've sent shock waves through the courts of Europe. Think off the scandal when Franz Ferdinand married Sophie von Chotek and all the suffering it caused to the people involved just because of her so called "lower rank".

True, reigning princes were supposed to form alliances with other princes from other reigning families. It was their diplomatic duty in order to secure peace and empower their country. The Habsburgs more than any other family became powerful thanks to a number of fortuitous marriages. How does the saying go?

"Leave the waging of wars to others! But you, happy Austria, marry; for the realms which Mars awards to others, Venus transfers to you."

So, the vehement opposition to the unfortunate Sophie is understandable. In today's world where dynastic alliances no longer have diplomatic importance, Guillaume's marriage to Stephanie is spectacular In fact, I can't think of a recent heir that has done as well as he.

Last edited by a moderator:
All due respect, I would be hesitant to say that Diana Spencer's lineage is far greater than Stephanie's. Stephanie comes from one of the most prestigious families in Belgium and while the late Diana had royal lines of descent, so does Stephanie, but the Lannoy's date back to the 1300's, while the Spencers became ennobled much later in 1603.

Diana's lineage is far greater. Stephanie's family is older but the Spencers have many, many more royal ancestors.

Today's Spencers are direct descendants, albeit illegitimate, of the House of Stuart, with the family boasting at least five lines of direct descent from the Stuarts; and from them, the Spencers can trace their ancestry to other royal houses such as the Bourbons, the Medicis, the Wittelsbachs, the Hanovers, the Sforzas, the Habsburgs, and the Houses of Howard and Boleyn through Mary Boleyn, Mistress of Henry VIII of England. Moreover, the Spencers are one of the very few British noble families to be the heirs body of a once sovereign family, being the senior female-line descendants of John Churchill, the once sovereign Prince of Mindelheim (more commonly known as the Duke of Marlborough).
Spencer family - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Diana's lineage is far greater. Stephanie's family is older but the Spencers have many, many more royal ancestors.

The Spencers are indeed impressive, but don't forget that Stephanie's paternal grandmother was Princess Marie Béatrix de Ligne. This would mean that Stephanie's royal ancestry is much closer than Diana's and more importantly legitimate. Now, I don't know who the Ligne's are related to, but I'm going to presume that like all royal families, they must have an impressive list of crowned cousins from all across the European continent which would mean that Stephanie is related to the different crown heads of Europe too. In fact, I know that she is a cousin of her husband Guillaume. I wonder who else she is related to. If anyone else knows, please let us know. Thanks.

Last edited:

Rayarena, I didn't mean to give off the impression of "correcting" you as your information is always so thorough and detailed. I simply wanted to emphasize that the Lannoys are well connected both in Belgium and in Continental Europe. I don't know if Stephanie's pedigree is "unrivalled" or even if that sort of thing is very meaningful anymore, but it definitely matches and even trumps Diana Spencer imo. And, I agree with you that Guillaume chose well.

I certainly hope that Guillaume and Stephanie are settling into a compatible and successful marriage, coming upon two years of marriage soon. Unfortunately their relatively low profile in the Grand Duchy doesn't leave room for anything other than speculation. I hope that will change soon!

Last edited:
Don't worry Moonmaiden, I wasn't offended by your comment. You simply added something to my post and I welcome that. Even if we disagree in the future, I would welcome that too. We, often, learn from our disagreements. Anyway, I detect a little worry in your comment about the state of Guillaume and Stephanie's marriage. I concur. I read a lot of other comments that people make about G&S and many people express a certain reservation. Like something seems a little bit off. I hope that we are all wrong.

The De Lannoys were already of the highest nobility in the 13th (!) Century, were amongst the very first Knights of the Golden Fleece. The Earldom Spencer and Viscounty of Althorp were granted almost 500 years (!) later...

In 1551 Willem I of Nassau, Prince of Orange married with Anne d'Egmont, daughter of Maximilien d'Egmont (one of the richest nobles of the whole Habsburg Empire) and of Françoise de Lannoy. This means that the founder of the Netherlands already had a De Lannoy as mother-in-law, and his children a De Lannoy grandmother...

The high prestige and standing of the House De Lannoy is also visible in the fact that the brothers Hue de Lannoy (1384-1456), Guillebert de Lannoy (1386-1462) and Baudouin de Lannoy (1388-1474) all three were Knight of the Golden Fleece. Still today, 600 years later, this is a most exceptional prestige. No less than 16 De Lannoys would receive this most prestigious Order and often also created a Grande de España. The family is extremely well connected amongst the European aristocracy.

The age of nobility surpasses everything. The Massimo family in Italy derive their nobility directly from Quintus Fabius Maximus (born 275 before Christ) and who came from an ancient Patrician family and served Rome as Consul for five terms. Their written track of 2200 years of nobility blows away everything and makes a Prince Napoleon or a Prince Bernadotte nothing more than a parvenu in their eyes.

Last edited:
And yet nothing you've stated disproves my original claim. I acknowledged Stephanie's family were ennobled earlier than the Spencers but the Spencers have many more royal ancestors. When Prince William becomes king, he will be the first British monarch to be a descendent of King Charles II.

Through his mother William is a descendent of the House of Stuart and through his Father he is a member of the House of Glucksburg

Also including the Duke of Cambridge, 14 Spencers have been made Knights of the Order of the Garter

Don't worry Moonmaiden, I wasn't offended by your comment. You simply added something to my post and I welcome that. Even if we disagree in the future, I would welcome that too. We, often, learn from our disagreements. Anyway, I detect a little worry in your comment about the state of Guillaume and Stephanie's marriage. I concur. I read a lot of other comments that people make about G&S and many people express a certain reservation. Like something seems a little bit off. I hope that we are all wrong.

Hi Rayarena, I am not yet ready to concede that there are problems. When they are out together they seem as content as could be. But yes...I would like to see them raise their profile.

And the announcement of an heir in the near future would be wonderful!;)

Charles de Lannoy, Viceroy of Italy, was appointed knight of the Golden Fleece in 1516.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, how I was hoping that he would live long enough to see his youngest daughter have her first child! I remember his heartbreak at the loss of his wife, and now he is with her.

Count Philippe de Lannoy lived a good very long life, a soldier and a diplomat/lawyer. May he RIP.

When I noticed that there is a new post on this thread, I guessed right away that it might be just this news; after all, Count Philippe was already 96 and in this age every day is a gift.

Stephanie, after all, was lucky enough to have a father for so LONG (remember that he was already over 60 when she was born).

May he Rest in Peace.

R.I.P. to Count Philippe de Lannoy. My condolences to his family.

I feel so sorry for Stephanie, she lost her mother before her wedding, now her father ! My most sincerely condolences!

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. May he rest in peace and I have Stephanie and her family in my thoughts and prayers.

Condolences to the De Lannoys and Hereditary Grand Duchess Stephanie.

Back
Top Bottom