HGD Stéphanie's Family - The de Lannoys

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IslandDweller

Gentry
City
New York
Country
United States
I hope it's okay that I've taken the liberty of starting a thread on Stephanie's family. Her sister-in-law Beatrice Spates - wife of her eldest brother Jehan - has a varied lineage. She was born in 1968 in Washington DC to Alfred Waters Spates of Maryland USA and Belgian aristocrat Marie Renée Kneppelhout van Sterkenberg.

She was raised, it seems, in her father's country. Here is an article on a house her father inherited in Germantown, Maryland, though I don't believe this was her childhood home. Her father and grandfather were evidently lawyers.

Her mother was her father's third wife, and she had half-siblings who were decades older. It seems she has some very modest relatives. When her half-brother Robert died following a car crash in Wisconsin in 2009 at age 76, his obituary described him as a "lifelong dairy farmer, an avid coon hunter, and outdoorsman".

Another of Stephanie's sisters-in-law, Alice van Havre (wife of her brother Olivier), has been given the title of jonkvrouw by at least one source. I think that the Moreno-Isla de Porras-Fdez family of her sister-in-law Luisa (her brother Christian's wife) and the de le Court family of her sister Isabelle's husband are also aristocratic. The family of Stephanie's brother-in-law John Hamilton is a mystery to me.

Perhaps Stephanie will have family close to her in Luxembourg. Her brother-in-law, Jean-Charles de le Court, is, according to a website, managing director of Della Lux consulting services with a business address in Luxembourg. I guess Isabelle de le Court has already been living in her sister's new adopted country?

Last edited by a moderator:
As a history buff, I find the information on the House of Lannoy fascinating. Just the information on Charles de Lannoy, Viceroy of Italy and his defeat of Francis Ier at Pavia in 1525 has made me want to learn more.

Very historically significant new in-laws HGD Guillaume has acquired! :)

Since following the wedding of Guilliam & Stephanie, I've become interested in all things "de Lannoy". It appears the "Delano" in US President Franklin Delano Roosevelt's name is derived from FDR's mother's family, a Delano. The Delano's are associated with the Mayflower landing in the US. Would anyone know how closely FDR's French Delano lineage is to the de Lannoy's of Belgium?

One of the pictures posted on another thread showed Nathalie Hamilton entering the gala.
Very nice black dress (probably for mourning) very pretty black hair, nice simple necklace. Slim, as most of the Lannoys are. Oh, she's Stephanie's oldest sister, seated next to GD Henri at the Gala.

Since following the wedding of Guilliam & Stephanie, I've become interested in all things "de Lannoy". It appears the "Delano" in US President Franklin Delano Roosevelt's name is derived from FDR's mother's family, a Delano. The Delano's are associated with the Mayflower landing in the US. Would anyone know how closely FDR's French Delano lineage is to the de Lannoy's of Belgium?

FDR is descended from the de Lannoys from the Dutch side from what I read on Wiki and Point de Vue...not the French.

Thank you Moonmaiden23 for the clarification. I find the Delano, de Lannoy connection a fascinating one.

I hope it's okay that I've taken the liberty of starting a thread on Stephanie's family. Her sister-in-law Beatrice Spates - wife of her eldest brother Jehan - has a varied lineage. She was born in 1968 in Washington DC to Alfred Waters Spates of Maryland USA and Belgian aristocrat Marie Renée Kneppelhout van Sterkenberg.

She was raised, it seems, in her father's country. Here is an article on a house her father inherited in Germantown, Maryland, though I don't believe this was her childhood home. Her father and grandfather were evidently lawyers.

Her mother was her father's third wife, and she had half-siblings who were decades older. It seems she has some very modest relatives. When her half-brother Robert died following a car crash in Wisconsin in 2009 at age 76, his obituary described him as a "lifelong dairy farmer, an avid coon hunter, and outdoorsman".

Another of Stephanie's sisters-in-law, Alice van Havre (wife of her brother Olivier), has been given the title of jonkvrouw by at least one source. I think that the Moreno-Isla de Porras-Fdez family of her sister-in-law Luisa (her brother Christian's wife) and the de le Court family of her sister Isabelle's husband are also aristocratic. The family of Stephanie's brother-in-law John Hamilton is a mystery to me.

Count Jehan was at her sister's weeding without his wife Beatrice?

Guillaume and Stephanie are related through Duke Charles of Arenberg

:)Guillaume and Stephanie are related through :whistling:Duke Charles Marie Raymond of Arenberg also Charles of Arenberg is ancestor to several Royals

Count Jehan was at her sister's weeding without his wife Beatrice?

I hadn't noticed it, but I see now that Beatrice does indeed seem to be missing from the guest list. Perhaps they're not together anymore?

I believe there were some problems in the marriage indeed. But it seems that the couple is trying to work it out.

----
Funny to see that the Lannoy estate ended up with the house of Orange-Nassau. Though it is not one of the titles of the Queen.

I was wondering whether Stephanie's family consider themselves Belgian or Flemish. Does anyone know?

I was wondering whether Stephanie's family consider themselves Belgian or Flemish. Does anyone know?
Definitively not Flemish, as their family home is situated in the French-speaking Walloonian province of Hainaut, not in a Flemish-speaking province.

I understood Stephanie's sister Gaelle is a religioner. I was wondering what kind od religious order she's in, since I saw few pics of her not wearing any habit, and even if she wasn't wearing a hat at the church wedding, she was wearing heels...

I understood Stephanie's sister Gaelle is a religioner. I was wondering what kind od religious order she's in, since I saw few pics of her not wearing any habit, and even if she wasn't wearing a hat at the church wedding, she was wearing heels...
I think Gaelle is part of a Foyer, not Order as such. Foyers are communities of the baptised, men and women, headed by a priest.
If I'm not mistaken, she has joined Foyer de Charite.

I make the assumption because Gaelle teaches Bible in Une annee pour Dieu collage as representative of Foyer de Charite.

Anvaing Castle looks straight out of a fairy tale. It is beautiful. I think Stephanie and Guillaume still spend a lot of time there visiting Steph's father Count de Lannoy on weekends.

During their engagement a series of stunning photographs were taken of Guillaume and Stephanie walking in the gardens at Anvaing.

Simply gorgeous.

Last edited:
The castle is really beautiful. I like the fact that it is surrounded by water... It gives it a special charm

If I am not mistaken, the Belgian noble title in Beatrice Spates's family was carried by her maternal grandmother, Countess Madeleine du Chastel de la Howarderie, who married Cornelius Kneppelhout van Sterkenburg (not Sterkenberg), a Dutch man. The Kneppelhout van Sterkenburg family does not belong to the Belgian aristocracy, although some of its members may have carried the title of Jonkheer (Esquire) in the Netherlands.

Thanks for that info, claypoint2. I always think of "aristocrat" as being a more fluid term, to describe a high-bred, highly-placed person with nobility/gentry in their family tree, and that one can be an aristocrat without being a noble. However, I know that's probably more of a personal interpretation.

Regardless, I'm glad someone's contributed to this interesting topic.

The Knepelhout van Sterkenburg family at least belongs to the Dutch patriciate. In the Netherlands the difference between the nobility and the patriciate isn't all that large and the two usually intermarried. The Knepelhourts married into well known families like the Beelaerts van Bloklands and the Rijckevorsels.

---
BTW Stephanie's sister-in-law Jkvr. Alice van Havre is somewhat related to Queen Mathilde. Her uncle Jhr. Roland van Havre married Jkvr. Marie-Madeleine Kervyn d' Oud Mooreghem. After she became a widow, Marie-Madeleine married Count Henri d'Udekem d'Acoz, eldest brother of Mathilde's father Patrick.

Last edited:
Yes, I saw all four parts. It's excellent. I was happy to see Stephanie included and participating in a discussion about her husband's great-grandmother. My French is not that good, but at some moment something was said about the Lannoy's in relation to the late President Roosevelt. Are the Lannoy's somehow related to Roosevelt? Also, my French is good enough to understand that the late Grand Duchess Charlotte was a close friend of Roosevelt. Am I correct, however, did they say at some point that Roosevelt's ancestors may have been Luxembourgish and that's why there was such an affinity between Charlotte and Roosevelt? By the way, Charlotte was amazing. I had no idea that she was in her youth such an attractive woman, so tall, poised and dignified, and what I would call elegance personified.

Yes Rayarena, the De Lannoys apparently have a Dutch/Flemish line of descent and a French one. America's great WWII president, Roosevelt, was from the Dutch branch through his mother Sara Delano. "Delano" is an Americanized version of De Lannoy.

Grand Duchess Charlotte and her son then-Prince Jean, made a State visit to the US in April 1963. The State Dinner given them by JFK and Jackie is considered one of the most memorable and elegant in White House history. You can see video of it on Youtube. Jacqueline Kennedy was pregnant, and she and the Grand Duchess discussed the fact that her daughter-in-law Josephine Charlotte was also expecting.

Sadly,Jackie's infant son died soon after birth that summer but Josephine-Charlotte gave birth to Prince Guillaume weeks later.

There exists a boulevard in Luxembourg named for President Kennedy, and dedicated to his memory.

Last edited:
Yes Rayarena, the De Lannoys apparently have a Dutch/Flemish line of descent and a French one. America's great WWII president, Roosevelt, was from the Dutch branch through his mother Sara Delano. "Delano" is an Americanized version of De Lannoy.

Fascinating, Moonmaiden23. Thank you for that little bit. I'd never been aware of that. Now I am. :flowers:

Hi Lady Nimue...neither was I, until Countess Stephanie de Lannoy married HGD Guillaume a couple of years ago. Then it was in all the Royalty magazines and articles.

You can see Stephanie discuss it a little in the videos above...fascinating!

Grand Duchess Charlotte and her son then-Prince Jean, made a State visit to the US in April 1963. The State Dinner given them by JFK and Jackie is considered one of the most memorable and elegant in White House history. You can see video of it on Youtube. Jacqueline Kennedy was pregnant, and she and the Grand Duchess discussed the fact that her daughter-in-law Josephine Charlotte was also expecting.

Sadly,Jackie's infant son died soon after birth that summer but Josephine-Charlotte gave birth to Prince Guillaume weeks later.

There exists a boulevard in Luxembourg named for President Kennedy, and dedicated to his memory.

The de Lannoy family who becames the Delano family is not the same de Lannoy family HGD belongs to. There are many de Lannoy families not at all related. However, FDR and HGD Stéphanie are very distant cousins as they share a common ancestor at the beginning of the 16th century.

Back
Top Bottom