The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-16-2019, 07:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think the Count was a de Ligne through his mother?

As for the press, they were out en masse when Countess de Lannoy died as well, but poor Stephanie appeared to be dazed and barely aware of them.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 01-16-2019, 08:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

My condolences to the family.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-16-2019, 09:15 AM
Royal Highness

I wonder why GD Maria Teresa didn't attend? Who was the blond woman pictured with GD Henri?
Old 01-16-2019, 09:19 AM
Majesty

No Press if Stephanie did not marry HRH Hed Grand Duke of Luxembourg.
I feel sorry for the family and people of Anvaing.
The blond Lady is Stpehanie's Sister.

Before , Never a King or a Queen of the Belgians attend weddings or Funerals of Belgian Nobility. King Albert II and Paola attend Count Patrick d'Udekem 's Funerals because it was Princess Mathilde's Father. But not Princess Astrid and Prince Laurent.
Since King Philippe's Reign Queen Mathilde attend the de Ligne Wedding and now a the de Lannoy Funeral.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I too was wondering where was the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg,nice to see the queen of Belgium at the Counts Funeral Mass.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:27 PM
Majesty

Yes and no , because it was not a real family Event. More pictures of the Royals than the family which was in such a sorrow.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
yes Somebody, When I worked at the same time of him we celebrated the birth of hs first Child . He was in the 40ties but did look younger.

I am sad about the above discussion which has nothing to do with Belgium .
I read comte Philippe de Lannoy is Chevalier de l' Ordre de Leopold , civil Order.
I had a look and the Count held the following Belgian royal Orders

Officer of the Order of Leopold II
Knight of the Order of Leopold.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:08 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
I wonder why GD Maria Teresa didn't attend? Who was the blond woman pictured with GD Henri?
Luisa Moreno de Porras-Isla-Fernández, wife of count Christian (the 2nd of the 8 siblings). So, sister -in-law (not sister as was previously stated) of Stephanie. Christian himself was pictured with queen Mathilde.

On one of the other pictures eldest brother Jehan is accompanying the grand duke.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Before , Never a King or a Queen of the Belgians attend weddings or Funerals of Belgian Nobility. King Albert II and Paola attend Count Patrick d'Udekem 's Funerals because it was Princess Mathilde's Father. But not Princess Astrid and Prince Laurent.
Since King Philippe's Reign Queen Mathilde attend the de Ligne Wedding and now a the de Lannoy Funeral.
One of Stephanie's sisters is very close to Mathilde since they were in school together. She was a witness at Mathilde's wedding to Philippe when he was Duc de Brabant.

I cannot remember which of the sisters but it's one of the older ones and it explains why Mathilde attended the funerals of both Countess de Lannoy and now the Count de Lannoy. The de Lannoy have a link to the Belgian crown going back to the days of King Albert I...it's perhaps why the late Queen Fabiola attended the funeral of Countess Alix de Lannoy as well.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 01-16-2019, 06:34 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
And the photo-caption in rexphotos says Prince de Ligne but is not the present Prince, perhaps one of his brothers dont know them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I think the Count was a de Ligne through his mother?
I believe the photo caption is simply mistaken. The person identified in the photos as the Prince de Ligne is instead one of the brothers of the Hereditary Grand Duchess: Count Christian de Lannoy. https://geneall.net/fr/name/422752/c...mte-de-lannoy/

But, yes... the mother of the deceased Count Philippe was born Princess Marie Béatrix de Ligne. She was a great-aunt - a sister of the grandfather - of the current Prince de Ligne.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:53 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
Who was the blond woman pictured with GD Henri?
Quote:
The blond Lady is Stpehanie's Sister.
A small correction, if I may: The blond woman walking next to Grand Duke Henri is not Stéphanie's sister but rather her sister-in-law. She was born in Spain as Luisa Constanza Moreno de Porras-Isla-Fernández, and she is married to Stéphanie's brother (and godfather) Count Christian. Hence she is now known as the Countess Christian de Lannoy. Count Christian was charged with receiving the Queen of the Belgians at the funeral, and his wife accompanied the Grand Duke of Luxembourg.

Count Christian and his wife can be seen here at Stéphanie's wedding: http://www.luxarazzi.com/2012/11/the...t-wedding.html

And here they are at their own wedding: http://peoplebrightandbeautiful.blog...de-lannoy.html
Old 01-16-2019, 07:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I too was wondering where was the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg,nice to see the queen of Belgium at the Counts Funeral Mass.

I remember reading not to long ago that Grand Duchess of Luxembourg “does not like to fly”. Her daughter has stepped in for her before at an event that the Grand Duc went to because of flying. Perhaps that is the reason and I for one cannot blame her.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Funérailles du comte Philippe de Lannoy - Noblesse & Royautés
With some pictures
Old 01-16-2019, 08:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJulie View Post
I remember reading not to long ago that Grand Duchess of Luxembourg “does not like to fly”. Her daughter has stepped in for her before at an event that the Grand Duc went to because of flying. Perhaps that is the reason and I for one cannot blame her.
It's 3 hrs drive. That cannot be the reason imo. I assume she had another engagement that was impossible to move or skip or was ill.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
It's 3 hrs drive. That cannot be the reason imo. I assume she had another engagement that was impossible to move or skip or was ill.
Agreed. GD Maria-Teresa wouldn't have missed this unless she is ill or she was representing the Grand Duke for an important occasion, i.e. foreign dignitaries in Luxembourgh.

I feel sorry for the de Lannoy's with the media intrusion. It's horrible
Old 01-16-2019, 09:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Hopefully the Lannoy family will be left alone now. Maybe it's better the photographers focused on the royals instead of the grieving family. I don't know. There would be little or zero press if Stephanie had not married HGD Guillaume or if Queen Mathilde wasn't close to the family. However, their positions and relationships are reality.

For those wondering... Grand Duchess Maria Teresa was at an award ceremony in Paris.

She managed shorter flights (i.e. - 80th birthday celebrations for King and Queen of Norway and Finland state visit) but I think she flies when she absolutely has to. It's not necessary to fly between Luxembourg, Paris and Belgium. 3-4 hours in a car is feasible unless her schedule is packed. Probably not worth the anxiety for such short flights.

https://twitter.com/CourGrandDucale/...61436343345153
Old 01-16-2019, 10:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
The Grand Duchess had an engagement in Paris today. Maybe it was best not to cancel it?

Old 01-17-2019, 01:59 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Archduchess Yolande also attended the funeral, she and count Philippe were 1st cousins through the de Ligne family.

I believe I did not see the sister that is in a religious order?
Old 01-17-2019, 02:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

I must say I had to look twice to recognize Prince Guillaume. He has changed a lot! It is a great honour to the late Comte de Lannoy that the Grand-Duke of Luxembourg and the Queen of the Belgians did attend his funeral.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Palace of Luxembourg released a statement about the absence of the Grand Duchess Maria Teresa from the funeral of Count Philippe de Lannoy and mention that the Grand Duchess she is very close with the HGD Stephanie and she has with her thoughts and affection throughout the day.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsvurbfFSPM/

Tags
hereditary grand duchess stéphanie, lannoy