HGD Guillaume, HGD Stéphanie and Family, General News, Part 1: June 2020 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: That's wonderful. It seems like the whole country is smitten with their little prince.

The use of prënz Charel makes me wonder how he is called in daily life. Do they use the Luxembourgish version of his name (not sure how that is pronounced) or the French one?

Last edited:
:previous: Probably both...since both languages are used commonly in Luxembourg.

Long before becoming parents Guillaume and Stephanie indicated during an interview that their children would learn both French and Luxembourgish at home. That makes me wonder if Gui speaks to Charles in Luxembourgish and Stephanie in French?

:previous: Probably both...since both languages are used commonly in Luxembourg.

Long before becoming parents Guillaume and Stephanie indicated during an interview that their children would learn both French and Luxembourgish at home. That makes me wonder if Gui speaks to Charles in Luxembourgish and Stephanie in French?

You really think that they use different names for their child? I am sure the people of Luxembourg use different names but I would think his parents would call him either Charel or Charles.

This same issue of course applies to the Belgian princes and princesses that have both an official name in Dutch and French; although the difference between the pronunciation of the names isn't as pronounced as for some members of the family in previous generations (which most likely were known by their French rather than Dutch names).

Speaking two different languages to Charles would make sense, so in that context, I could see how they might also use different names for their child...

(Thinking of several friends who speak different languages as a couple/family: some of them end up with a shared nickname (if they didn't pick a name that is identical in both languages); for example Ésther (Dutch - accent to explain pronunciation) and Estér (Spanish) ends up being called 'Ster' - meaning 'star' in Dutch)

Last edited:
:previous: No...I didn't mean that I believe Stephanie and Gui refer to their son by different names. I meant that in the Lux press and in Luxembourg in general he is probably called both "Charel" and the French "Charles".

On the commemorative stamps for his birthday I remember seeing "Prenz Charel".

:previous: No...I didn't mean that I believe Stephanie and Gui refer to their son by different names. I meant that in the Lux press and in Luxembourg in general he is probably called both "Charel" and the French "Charles".

On the commemorative stamps for his birthday I remember seeing "Prenz Charel".

Yes, that's why I asked the question. It says 'Prënz Charel', while we tend to use 'Charles' here on TRF, so, I wondered what Guillaume and Stéphanie would call their son in daily life...

What a lovely peaceful video, so much love and care.

:previous: He is an enchanting little bub for sure. I think I might go into shock if I ever see photos of him having a tantrum/meltdown!:lol:;)

I think they say Charles at home. Stephanie's mother tongue is French and Guillaume also speaks French as one of his native languages, so it would make sense to call him Charles instead of Charel (I think Stephanie speaks Luxembourgish now, but she didn't before dating Guillaume). The same with Belgium, Mathilde and Phillippe might speak Dutch, but since French is their first language, they communicate in French at home and say their children's names in French too (even though they have the same writing except for pronunciation).

On this note, I found weird that they didn't choose a name that appears the same in both languages (not talking about pronunciation).

Last edited:
:previous: He is an enchanting little bub for sure. I think I might go into shock if I ever see photos of him having a tantrum/meltdown!:lol:;)

They probably would not take him out in front of the cameras if he is hungry or needs a nap or feeling unwell and likely to be fussy so it’s no wonder he looks so happy and content:)

:previous: That is true of course. But babies and toddlers are notorious for being unpredictable!;)

gorgeous photos! he's such a happy baby!

I think they say Charles at home. Stephanie's mother tongue is French and Guillaume also speaks French as one of his native languages, so it would make sense to call him Charles instead of Charel [...]

Charles, in French, is pronounced shahrl.
In French, the letter combination “CH” is typically pronounced sh.

Would this really sound much different from the Luxembourg "Charel?"

Charles, in French, is pronounced shahrl.
In French, the letter combination “CH” is typically pronounced sh.

Would this really sound much different from the Luxembourg "Charel?"

That's one of the things I am wondering. I tried to find the pronunciation but haven't been succesful so far. I guess it depends on whether the 'e' is pronounced or not.

What a beautiful little boy ! His parents must be rightly proud of him !

Oh wow...that child is so beautiful! His little face is like an angel.

I wish we could see him walk...

This family is beautiful. I love the one Charles trying to reach the butterflies and Guillaume with the lizard(?).

The pattern of Prince Charles' trousers reminds me of a gingham checked pattern.

Prince Charles is too cute for words. His smile breaks hearts and is disarming.

Guillaume and Stephanie must be over the moon with this little charmer. And they deserve this incredible joy.

He makes so many people happy. It's nice to see he got to do a few more engagements.

Whoa..Prince Charles looks exactly like his mother in that first photo!;)

And Guillaume looks exactly like his. Perhaps it's something hereditary?

Back
Top Bottom