HGD Couple expecting their first child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the protocol in Luxembourg when any member of their Grand Ducal family is about to have a child?

Is it similar to the UK or the other larger monarchies where information is widely available or do we only get the information after the child has already been born?

What's the protocol in Luxembourg when any member of their Grand Ducal family is about to have a child?

Is it similar to the UK or the other larger monarchies where information is widely available or do we only get the information after the child has already been born?

They will only announce the birth, when the child has been born

Dear Stefan, you made me look up my scrap book on Crown Princess Mary who gave birth to her first child on 15 th october 2005. The article says Mary slipped past waiting media at Fredensborg to go to the hospital, and she was two weeks early from her due date. More than 100 photographers, and TV crews hung around for three days for the new mum and baby to emerge inside the hospital. I remember it very well as it was a big deal for an heir to the throne.

The birth of an heir is always a big deal to me and I wish Stephanie a safe delivery.

As far as I know their was only a lot of TV crews and photographers in Copenhagen, when the princely couple and their son left the hospital three days after the birth.
I doubt that there were a lot of reporters around Fredensborg before the birth. She was only due for the end of October.

Last edited:
They will only announce the birth, when the child has been born

We would only know that Stephanie is in labour if she is spotted when going to the Hospital. That was the case for then Princess Máxima

What are the events that usually happen when the birth of the son of the heirs to the throne of Luxembourg is announced?

What are the events that usually happen when the birth of the son of the heirs to the throne of Luxembourg is announced?

I can't answer but shouldn't these events happen if HGD gives birth to a girl? A girl would indeed not be overstepped by a little brother in the line of succession since a recent change.

I think the Grand Marshall of the Court simply issues a statement to the Press. I am not sure if photos of the newborn are made public at the time of the announcement, or later. I also don't remember/know if the baby's name will be released at the time of his/her birth.

I can't answer but shouldn't these events happen if HGD gives birth to a girl? A girl would indeed not be overstepped by a little brother in the line of succession since a recent change.

It might be a translation issue. In Spanish (and probably also Portuguese) the same word is used for child as for son (hijo).

And to know how the birth of a heir would be celebrated, we would need to look at the 'eldest son' in previous generations :flowers: Not sure whether they have a tradition of church bells ringing and/or a gun salute...

I don't think they do gun/cannon salutes like in Britain and Monaco. But I could see ringing of the bells of the Cathedral and/or a Te Deum, given the long wait for an heir and the undoubted relief and joy of the GD Family.

The problem is that no one can attend. It will have to be a virtual Mass of Thanksgiving.:sad:

I think the Grand Marshall of the Court simply issues a statement to the Press. I am not sure if photos of the newborn are made public at the time of the announcement, or later. I also don't remember/know if the baby's name will be released at the time of his/her birth.

Yes isn't that what happened with the births of Princess Amalia and Prince Liam of Nassau recently?

I think the photos were released shortly afterwards.

And to know how the birth of a heir would be celebrated, we would need to look at the 'eldest son' in previous generations :flowers: Not sure whether they have a tradition of church bells ringing and/or a gun salute...

In the 1980s-1990s, the birth of Princess Alexandra was celebrated with a mere 21-round gun salute whereas the births of her brothers were celebrated with 101-round gun salutes. (See the announcements of their births on the website of the government information service.)

It would be interesting to see whether the difference is eliminated, although if the child is a son (as I am predicting, in view of the proportion of male descendants in the Nassau male line and the clothing choices of the parents-to-be for the pregnancy announcement), they may postpone that decision until they have a daughter. Or perhaps there will be no gun salute at all, given the pandemic.

Yes isn't that what happened with the births of Princess Amalia and Prince Liam of Nassau recently?

I think the photos were released shortly afterwards.

Yes, indeed. But the birth of HGD Guillaume's son or daughter will probably be handled a little differently....how differently I don't know.

Yes, indeed. But the birth of HGD Guillaume's son or daughter will probably be handled a little differently....how differently I don't know.

Hopefully there will be a gun salute and or at very least a slice of cake ;)

I assume the birth of a prince(ss) of Luxembourg, and more specifically the heir, will indeed be handled with slightly more 'pomp' than the birth of a prince(ss) of Nassau.

I assume the birth of a prince(ss) of Luxembourg, and more specifically the heir, will indeed be handled with slightly more 'pomp' than the birth of a prince(ss) of Nassau.

Let's hope not everything will cancelled because of Covid-19. For example aGuns Salute could still ake place as it involves not much people.

A difference would be for example photos of the parents and baby leaving Hospital which they have done at Amalia's birth.

Is the baby end of May? Early June?

Is the baby end of May? Early June?

It was communicated that they baby is due 'in May'. They didn't specify which part of the month. However, if it would be late May, they might have communicated that to avoid people speculating too much if the baby isn't born by the end of the month.

The pregnancy announcement was made on December 6th, so everything tends to think the due date is somewhere late May. I thought I read that somewhere, though the official announcement said that the child is due in May

The official announcement said the baby was due in May, so it's about to be born.
I believe, it must be a matter of days.

I wish them both health and piece of mind. Hopefully Stephanie will have an easy, uncomplicated delivery and they'll share their news with the world soon.

The original announcement by the Court stated that the birth was "scheduled" for May, giving rise to rumors on Twitter the HGD is set for an induced or C-section delivery this month. I am not into conspiracy theories but it has made me wonder....:whistling:

The original announcement by the Court stated that the birth was "scheduled" for May, giving rise to rumors on Twitter the HGD is set for an induced or C-section delivery this month. I am not into conspiracy theories but it has made me wonder....:whistling:

I'd say it is a translation issue. The Luxembourgish version used the word 'erwaarden' (to expect): "datt den Ierwgroussherzog an d’Ierwgroussherzogin hiert éischt Kand fir de Mee erwaarden."

And also the French 'est prévue' can theoretically mean that it's organized but in this context more likely to be interpreted as "Imaginer qu’une chose doit arriver." (Imagine that something will happen)

The last possible due date is 31 May, so let's suppose she is due in exactly three weeks.

Prince Charles Jean Philippe Joseph Marie Guillaume has been born on May 10th.

Posts about his birth have been moved to this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom