Guillaume and Stéphanie: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm rather hoping to see Cambridges at this wedding. Or Prince Charles and Camilla.
Much as I love the Wessexes, it'd be nice to see different representatives of the Queen for a major European royal event.

I would love to see them too, William in a sharp suit and Catherine in a stunning (colourful) dress. :flowers: We can dream perhaps? ;)

Are we sure this wedding will be a huge event? I know it's the wedding of an heir but it's the Luxembourg royals, we didn't even know Guillaume was dating someone until the engagement announcement. :lol: Nobody think it'll be a family affair? They're not obliged to have a white tie esque affair are they?

A side point: the wessex's are always talked down upon when it comes to them attending events. Some people seem to think it's an insult to send The Queen's youngest son. But if they have a close relationship with the royals in Europe, then i'm sure they're more than happy to go and to be received.

:previous:
Kate is a gorgeous red gown, her hair elegantly styled (up) and some seldom seen, stunning tiara from royal vaults... We can dream! ;) :)

The smaller royalties (or, in this case, grand duchy) tend to put on display at least as much pomp and peasantry as the more sizeable ones, so Guillaume's wedding is most definitely not going to be a family affair. I'm prepared to bet it's going to be a full state event on a public holiday, jammed with royals from current and former monarchies.

I would love to see them too, William in a sharp suit and Catherine in a stunning (colourful) dress. :flowers: We can dream perhaps? ;)

Are we sure this wedding will be a huge event? I know it's the wedding of an heir but it's the Luxembourg royals, we didn't even know Guillaume was dating someone until the engagement announcement. :lol: Nobody think it'll be a family affair? They're not obliged to have a white tie esque affair are they?

A side point: the wessex's are always talked down upon when it comes to them attending events. Some people seem to think it's an insult to send The Queen's youngest son. But if they have a close relationship with the royals in Europe, then i'm sure they're more than happy to go and to be received.

At the wedding of Henri and Maria Teresa were present, the complete Belgian RF, Margrethe & Henri of denmark, Olaf of Norway, prince Philip, Grace & Rainier of Monaco, Otto & Regina of Austria, Marie-José of Italy, Hans-Adam & Marie of Liechtenstein, Margarita & Dr. Zurito of Spain and Margriet & Pieter of Holland.µ

I assume this wedding wil also have representatives from these royal families.

Last edited:
At the wedding of Henri and Maria Teresa were present, the complete Belgian RF, Margrethe & Henri of denmark, Olaf of Norway, prince Philip, Grace & Rainier of Monaco, Otto & Regina of Austria, Marie-José of Italy, Hans-Adam & Marie of Liechtenstein, Margarita & Dr. Zurito of Spain and Margriet & Pieter of Holland.µ

I assume this wedding wil also have representatives from there royal families.

All friends of the couple and from Europe, yes?

No red for Catherine, green or specifically emerald green and maybe velvet too.

Yes, but is it a Catch 22 situation?

They have a relationship because they are the ones always sent! The only ones always sent. ;)

At the wedding of Henri and Maria Teresa were present, the complete Belgian RF, Margrethe & Henri of denmark, Olaf of Norway, prince Philip, Grace & Rainier of Monaco, Otto & Regina of Austria, Marie-José of Italy, Hans-Adam & Marie of Liechtenstein, Margarita & Dr. Zurito of Spain and Margriet & Pieter of Holland.
Hopefully, the next generation will be out in force in place of their parents. Although I find it very likely a lot of crowned Heads of State will be present too, especially the Dutch and Belgian ones.

All friends of the couple and from Europe, yes?
No red for Catherine, green or specifically emerald green and maybe velvet too.
She did look great in the black velvet dress, so hoping for that. Emerald green is my favourite colour so I'm not going to say no to it. Deep burgundy red would look lovely too, in my opinion.

Yes, but is it a Catch 22 situation?

They have a relationship because they are the ones always sent! The only ones always sent. ;)

No it isn't. Not to me anyway. Depends perhaps on your view of the Wessex's
And they are not the ones always sent, as pointed out before Charles has attended European weddings. Elizabeth attended Pavlos' wedding I believe but that was because it was in London. Also Princess Michael attended the wedding of Nikoloas and Tatiana.

No black, presumably with her hair down she'd just look dowdy (again).

No it isn't. Not to me anyway. Depends perhaps on your view of the Wessex's
And they are not the ones always sent,..

Except for rare exceptions, they are the ones sent.

To me, they always seem to show up looking bored and I get the impression they are wondering how soon they can leave.

But then the Wessexes are not favorites of mine; I find them rather dull (and I never liked Edward; IMO he has a nasty temper).

But then the Wessexes are not favorites of mine; I find them rather dull (and I never liked Edward; IMO he has a nasty temper).

Like I said, all depends upon your view of the Wessex's. :flowers:

... on a different note ... I wonder who among the non-European royals will attend. Hopefully we shall see Moroccan ladies in stunning caftans, Crown Prince Naruhito and Sheikhs and Sheikhas from the Persian Gulf Kingdoms. Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirova and Grand Duke Georgii are likely to attend the wedding.

Last edited:
The Romanian royals will certainly be there...hopefully the Princess Napoleon as well!

i think there is a slight chance william and kate may attend, seeing how they are of the same generation as guillaume and stephanie! however, i don't think the BRF and the GD family are all that close...

i really do hope to see a big bunch of the gotha in this wedding, which will be the last of the european heirs weddings in quite some time now...

I couldn't care less if William & Kate will be present at the wedding, but considering the British fobia for continental royals I am sure they will send the duke of Gloucester or something alike. But on the bright side, at least Guillaume will probably not send the continental royals packing after the religious wedding, but will actually invite them to his party. If William and Kate do come I hope that they will only attend the church wedding and that the Lux. court will ask them to have their lunch at the British ambassadors place, or at the airport or such, considering their arrogant attitude during their own wedding. But as they don't seem to give a hoot about any royals apart from their own family it may be better to send the Wessexes, at least the countess of Wessex seems to enjoy the company of the continental royals.

The wedding of Prince Guillaume and Sybilla Weiller at Versailles saw a lot of (non-) reigning royals and I am sure that for this wedding most heirs (except the British) will be present. + an enormous load of Habsburgs, Bourbons, Lignes etc etc.

Last edited:
:previous:
You are absolutely right.

Last edited:
To be honest, Britain should send whoever Guillaume and Stephanie want to attend. If they send an invite to the Wessexes, then I see no problem with that. It is after all their wedding.
This all depends of course on the date, if anything to clash with the Olympics or Jubilee celebrations then I doubt we'll see anyone.

I find Edward and Sophie charming and very pleasant to watch at these occasions. They seem genuinely relaxed and really connected to the people they are around. After so long doing it one would assume they have friendships and are welcomed personally as well as in their formal roles.

Also, when they attend, its a lovely addition to the festivities. Were William and Kate to attend they would hog the spotlight - certainly not intentionally - but those pesky photographers and such would ruin the day for the wedding couple, I think. Anyway, if William were interested in such hob-nobbing - as someone mentioned - he would have attended them as a young batchelor Prince. He's not really inclined in that direction, it seems, takes no interest.

Which brings up Harry - he should attend with his aunt and uncle. There will be some very fetching eligible and continental noble young ladies gliding about such a function. :brows:

I couldn't care less if William & Kate will be present at the wedding, but considering the British fobia for continental royals I am sure they will send the duke of Gloucester or something alike. But on the bright side, at least Guillaume will probably not send the continental royals packing after the religious wedding, but will actually invite them to his party. If William and Kate do come I hope that they will only attend the church wedding and that the Lux. court will ask them to have their lunch at the British ambassadors place, or at the airport or such, considering their arrogant attitude during their own wedding. But as they don't seem to give a hoot about any royals apart from their own family it may be better to send the Wessexes, at least the countess of Wessex seems to enjoy the company of the continental royals.

The wedding of Prince Guillaume and Sybilla Weiller at Versailles saw a lot of (non-) reigning royals and I am sure that for this wedding most heirs (except the British) will be present. + an enormous load of Habsburgs, Bourbons, Lignes etc etc.

I didn't see this post before I posted. Thank you for your insights. I'm not that savvy about it all but one does get the impression of exactly what you say. The BRF is very insular. After a while one realizes that there is a rather groovy royal world happening elsewhere. The separation - while since explained to me - and why it has occurred - is for sure a puzzle and very noticeable.

Interestingly, (and I know I risk ire saying it) but it might be that - except for someone like Charles (and the Wessexes) - there may not be enough wide experience and flair in the BRF now to successfully hob-nob at the continental level.

Last edited:
I am sure that any (non) attendamce of William and Kate would not ruin the wedding day. In the anglosaxon world Kate may be a star but I am sure that the Luxembourg press will only focus on the bridal couple. And indeed, William and Kate seem to enjoy snubbing the continental royals so it is unlikely that they will attend. The Wessexes are the best option, though QEII may be in a particulary bad mood and send the Gloucesters only, as she did for the wedding of the king of Sweden. Or as a last resort she can ask princess Michael (which makes sense as she seems to enjoy the company of other royals). I can't recall Harry or William ever having attended any royal event in continental Europe, or doing anything there apart from cruising in the mediteranean or skiing in the Alps.

I hope that King Albert & Queen Paola will attend, considering the groom is closely related and hopefully Queen Beatrix will also be present, considering Benelux relations (though it wouldnt surprise me if she would just send the PoO and his wife). For Spain the heirs are the only option in the current mess, maybe accompanied by Queen Sofia. The rest will probably send the heirs only.

Last edited:
They enjoyed snubbing European royals? Um, okay

I like seeing the Earl and Countess of Wessex at events. I think they are a wonderful couple and let's face it they have successfully master the art of marriage in a royal family. Who else to wish the newest royal couple the best than the next Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh.

Personally, I would love to see Prince Charles & Camilla + William, Kate & Harry attend the wedding. It's just wishful thinking but in reality it's not happening. I am excited to see who's going to attend from the other royal & noble houses.

I assume this wedding wil also have representatives from these royal families.

Henri and Maria-Teresa's wedding was a big deal. It even made the US papers, and got a segment on the evening news that night.

I remember my Dad-who couldn't have cared less about such things-pointing at the TV screen saying "Now that's a Royal wedding!" :lol:

It had a HUGE Gotha turnout, from the photos I saw. :)

Well, her lineage sounds quite appropriate for her new position. She speaks many languages and that will always be handy. So nice, another royal wedding to look forward to.

Does anyone know where the wedding will take place? I can't find where MT and Henri got married but I'm assuming there's a Church that gets used for major events in Luxembourg?
As for the guest lists we can only wait and see, depends when the wedding is held given that I think its going to be a busy summer for most of the Royals with the Olympics and Paralympics (for which opening ceremony is 29th August).
I wonder if they will go for a winter wedding? I'm sure MT and Henri got married in a cold month as I remember MT had fur on her dress?

tommy100 said:
Does anyone know where the wedding will take place? I can't find where MT and Henri got married but I'm assuming there's a Church that gets used for major events in Luxembourg?
As for the guest lists we can only wait and see, depends when the wedding is held given that I think its going to be a busy summer for most of the Royals with the Olympics and Paralympics (for which opening ceremony is 29th August).
I wonder if they will go for a winter wedding? I'm sure MT and Henri got married in a cold month as I remember MT had fur on her dress?

They married in February.

My suggestions:
Best man: Prince Felix
Maid of Honour: Countess Celine de Lannoy (20-year-old daughter of Stephanie first cousin, Count Alain - himself son of her youngest uncle Claude).

Page Boys: Prince Noah de Nassau (groom's nephew and godson), Prince Emmanuel of Belgium, Count Antoine (seven) de Lannoy (bride's nephew).
Flower Girls: Princess Ariane of the Netherlands, Countess Louise de Lannoy (nine, bride's niece), Princess Louise of Belgium.

Guests:
All uncles and Aunts and Cousins of the groom (apart from a closest family, of course). Also maternal's side of the Groom's family.
of course all Belgian Royal Family (Royal couple, all their children and their spouses and Queen Fabiola; maybe also Princess Esmeralda of Belgium with her husband?)
Prince and Princess of Orange
Duchess and Duke of Vastergotland
Crown Prince and Princess of Norway
Prince and Princess of Asturias
Crown Prince and Princess of Liechtenstein
Prince and Princess of Monaco
Earl and Countess of Wessex
Prince Hamzah and Princess Basmah of Jordan, and Crown Prince Hussein
Moulay Rachid of Morocco
Crown Prince and Princess of Japan

Wedding place: Notre-Dame Cathedral, I suppose. It's very majestic:

Notre-Dame Cathedral, Luxembourg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

of course all Belgian Royal Family (Royal couple, all their children and their spouses and Queen Fabiola; maybe also Princess Esmeralda of Belgium with her husband?)
Prince and Princess of Orange
Duchess and Duke of Vastergotland
Crown Prince and Princess of Norway
Prince and Princess of Asturias
Crown Prince and Princess of Liechtenstein
Prince and Princess of Monaco
Earl and Countess of Wessex
Prince Hamzah and Princess Basmah of Jordan, and Crown Prince Hussein
Moulay Rachid of Morocco
Crown Prince and Princess of Japan

You don't think the Crown Prince and Princess of Denmark would be invited to the wedding of a European heir? (or attend on behalf of the Queen)

Last edited:
Of course they will! Just an accidental omission, sorry.

What about deposed royal families? Some romanian, bulgarian, russian, german, italian, french or portuguese royals?

Who do you think will lead Stephanie down the aisle? Her father or maybe a brother?

This is complete rubbish, in my opinion. You seem to have taken the fact that the foreign royals only attended part of the wedding as some kind of personal slight. It seems to have annoyed you more that any of the royals present.

The foreign royals were invited to the wedding, and also to a special party the night before. William and Catherine chose to spend the rest of their wedding day with people they're actually close to. Having had to invite over 700 people they didn't know from Adam to their wedding, I believe that was their right. This was the wedding of the 2nd in line, not the heir, so they had more room for flexibility.

William and Catherine wanted to be surrounded by their family and friends on their wedding day, so they could relax and enjoy it with those closest to them. They're as entitled to that as any other couple. It's obvious the BRF are not as close to the Continental royals, but there's nothing wrong with that, it's just how things have worked out.

This is complete rubbish, in my opinion. You seem to have taken the fact that the foreign royals only attended part of the wedding as some kind of personal slight. It seems to have annoyed you more that any of the royals present.

The foreign royals were invited to the wedding, and also to a special party the night before. William and Catherine chose to spend the rest of their wedding day with people they're actually close to. Having had to invite over 700 people they didn't know from Adam to their wedding, I believe that was their right. This was the wedding of the 2nd in line, not the heir, so they had more room for flexibility.

William and Catherine wanted to be surrounded by their family and friends on their wedding day, so they could relax and enjoy it with those closest to them. They're as entitled to that as any other couple. It's obvious the BRF are not as close to the Continental royals, but there's nothing wrong with that, it's just how things have worked out.
But they could have at last attended the Party for the foreign Royals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom