Gender, name, and godparent guesses for Guillaume and Stephanie’s first child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guess the sex of Guillaume and Stéphanie's first baby!

• Boy

Votes: 38 55.9%
  • Girl

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • Twins - Boy/Boy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Twins - Boy/Girl

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Twins - Girl/Girl

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
I think she will have twins (a boy and a girl). No idea about the names.

The (future) head of the House Orange-Nassau as a godparent for the future head of the House Nassau. So King Willem-Alexander or Princess Catharina-Amalia are safe bets for godparenting if looking outside the family.

But the Nassaus do it calmly, like more Catholic families: the current hereditary Grand-Duke only has his uncle and namesake prince Guillaume as parrain and his aunt princess Marie Astrid as marraine.

One godfather/godmother per child is the Catholic norm.

I think she will have twins (a boy and a girl). No idea about the names.

One godfather/godmother per child is the Catholic norm.

Indeed. Princess Elisabeth of Belgium has her cousin Archduke Amedeo of Austria-Este as parrain. And her aunt countess Hélène d'Udekem d'Acoz as marraine. That is it.

:previous: Since this infant will be a future Head of State(God willing), I think there may be several god parents as well.

But both Princess Leonor (Spain) and Princess Elisabeth (Belgium) have 2 godparents and not more and they will also become Heads of State at some point.

I heard they are close friends of the norwegian crownprince and crownprincess. Maybe they will be the godparents.

Apparently, the Catholic Church only permits a maximum of one man and one woman in the role of baptismal sponsor. Baptismal sponsors are required to be confirmed Catholics.

Non-Catholics who were baptized as Christians are permitted to serve as witnesses to the baptism.

Code of Canon Law - IntraText

Judging from a quick search, it seems there are arguments amongst Catholics as to if it it is appropriate to label the non-sponsor baptismal witnesses as "godparents" or not. My guess is that this is the reason why some Catholic royals are said to have two "godparents" while others are said to have several.

I predict:
-four names. Marie for sure if a girl will be included. 50/50 if a boy. I am leaning more towards Guillaume (Henri and his brothers all have it. And all of Henri and Guillaume's sons have it). Marc d'Aviano was once common, but hasn't been used by Henri's line so I'd be surprised to see it.

-two godparents: traditional with the reigning Catholic royals to stick to. I'd love to see at least one foreign royal as godparent, but not shocked if stick with family instead.

My top predictions:

Prince Jean Philippe Henri Guillaume (or Marie at the end instead)

or

Princess Alix Theresa Charlotte Marie

Only concern for Alix might be that Stephanie has a niece Alix Hamilton, but I am not ruling it out.

Could for slight alteration:

Princess Alix-Marie Theresa Charlotte Stephanie

Godparents:

I'd love:
-Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant (family though a bit more removed)
-Count Jehan de Lannoy (or one of Stephanie's other brothers)

I suspect we may see:
-Prince Felix of Luxembourg
-one of Stephanie's sisters

I think Luxembourg Royal men also include "Marie"in their list of names? I know for certain the Belgians do...or used to.

The godparents of Prince Guillaume are his uncles, Princess Marie Astrid of Luxembourg and Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg.
The baby's godparents could be Princess Alexandra and Prince Felix, or another of Guillaume's brothers.
I believe Princess Alexandra will be the godmother.

:previous: I don't believe they will leave out members of Stephanie's family. At least one of the de Lannoys will be chosen, I bet.

I think Luxembourg Royal men also include "Marie"in their list of names? I know for certain the Belgians do...or used to.

Yes that Marian traditionin the Luxembourg GDF has continued

HRH Prince Guillaume Jean Joseph Marie,Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg
HRH Prince Félix Léopold Marie Guillaume of Luxembourg
HRH Prince Louis Xavier Marie Guillaume of Luxembourg
HRH Prince Sébastien Henri Marie Guillaume of Luxembourg

I personally think there'll be a Nassau for whichever gender the baby is and a de Lannoy for the other godparent

If it's a girl:
Princess Alexandra & Count Jehan de Lannoy

If it's a boy
Prince Felix & Isabelle or Nathalie de Lannoy

:previous: Since this infant will be a future Head of State(God willing), I think there may be several god parents as well.

But I am almost certain there will be a Lannoy chosen, and maybe one of Gui's siblings too.

If they luck out like Charlene and Albert and have both a boy and a girl, I will be ecstatic!

Hereditary Grand-Duke Guillaume of Luxembourg: two godparents (Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg and Archduchess Marie Astrid of Austria-Lorraine née Princess of Luxembourg)

Princess Elisabeth of Belgium: two godparents
(Archduke Amedeo of Austria-Este, Prince of Belgium and Baroness Nicolas Jansen née Countess Hélène d'Udekem d'Acoz)

Infanta Leonor of Spain: two godparents
(King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofía of Spain née Princess of Greece and Denmark) )

Prince Jacques of Monaco: two godparents
(Mr Christopher Le Vine and Madame Diane de Polignac de Barros Nigra)

Prince Umberto di Savoia-Aosta: two godparents (Princess Maria Gabriella di Savoia and the Count Radicati di Primeglio)

This is no hard rule. In some Catholic royal families they bring in more godparents:

Prince Gaston d'Orléans: 6 godparents
- The Duke of Castro
- The Duke of Angoulême
- Le Comte de Feydeau de Saint-Christophe
- Archduchess Astrid of Austria-Este, Princess of Belgium
- La Comtesse d'Houssonville
- La Comtesse de El Abra

Archduke Ferdinand Zvonimir of Austria: 4 godparents
- Archduke Georg of Austria-Lorraine
- Alois Konstantin Fürst zu Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg
- Queen Margarita of the Bulgarians
- Agnes Gräfin von und zu Arco

Last edited:
Absolutely perfect. Both of them!

I adore CP Victoria but she has an army of godchildren at this point.

I would like to see the young Duchess of Brabant as godmother, and Prince Felix as god father. Or Prince Louis.

I expect very traditional names (Jean for a boy, especially since he died this year, and either Charlotte or Alix for a girl - hoping for Alix as it's both Stephanie's mother's name and the name of Jean's youngest sister).

And the combination of both prince Felix (being replaced as heir's heir and of course second oldest brother) and princess Elisabeth (a future queen as god parent seems appropriate for a future grand duke/duchess) - which might not be family to Stephanie but is both a family member of Guillaume and a nod to Stephanie's Belgian roots - seems perfect.

Last edited:
I don't have a prediction for the gender of Baby Luxembourg, so I'm just going to leave some name guesses:

Girls
Alix Marie Joséphine Charlotte
Béatrix Antonia Héloïse Astrid
Adélaïde Charlotte Teresa Marguerite
Élisabeth Amélie Lydia Madeleine

Boys
Alexandre Henri Jean Michel
Claude Antoine Jacques Charles
Jean Léopold Maximilian Paul
Raphaël Guillaume Félix Eugéne

Mu suggestions are Jean-Philippe or Marie-Alix, assuming they like classic names based in their family trees.

My guesses:

Son: Jean Philippe Marie Guillaume

Daughter: Alix Marie Charlotte Wilhelmine

Note: it seems the tradition is for all boys to have 'Guillaume' in their name and for all girls to include 'Wilhelmine'; and in all cases Marie.

:previous: However, a combined name could indeed also be a possibility and the above option would fit nicely in that case.

Last edited:
I don't have any specific guesses for the baby's name, but if it's a girl, I really HOPE they name her Adelaide.

I can also image them naming their daughter Alix or Charlotte.

Boy/girl twins born on May Day:

Charles Philippe Marie Christian
Henri Philippe Marie Guillaume
Harold Giullaume Marie Claude
Claudia Alix Marie Therese
Beatrix Marie Alix Philippa
Helene Marie Alix Claudine

Godparents:
Elisabeth of Belgium, Felix, Willem Alexander, Gaelle de Lannoy
A niece of Stephanie, Sebastien and Emmanuel of Belgium, Mette-Marit

Last edited:
As for twins didn’t she say something about the 3 of them being a family now plus if this is a delicate/ higher risk pregnancy she will probably have found out if it’s a singleton very early.

I vote boy with an unexpected but traditional name or Some baby name really popular in lux right now.

As for twins didn’t she say something about the 3 of them being a family now plus if this is a delicate/ higher risk pregnancy she will probably have found out if it’s a singleton very early.

I vote boy with an unexpected but traditional name or Some baby name really popular in lux right now.

Yes there was a comment about three.

I don't see them going with a 'popular now name'. They seem to be a bit more traditional IMO. And unlike Liam, their baby will be the future Grand Duke/Duchess. I'd love if they'd surprise us with a name not used for some time but still from the family tree though.

I'd love a little girl (I always love when a country finally embraces equal primogeniture and then get a female heir) but have a feeling its a boy.

Both Guillaume and Stephanie have quite a number of nieces and nephews.
I don't think they will reuse the same first names. That rules out a few.
What do others think?

I'm really liking the sound of Alix de Luxembourg .

Boy: Jean Michel Marie Guillaume

Girl: Alix Louise Marie Wilhelmine

Godparents: Princess Elisabeth of Belgium, Countess Gaëlle de Lannoy, Prince Sebastien of Luxembourg, and Queen Letizia of Spain

Since the news of the new baby was announced on December 6th, the feast day of Saint Nicholas, then Nicholas could be one of the son's middle names if a boy is born.

Godmother: Countess Astrid de Lannoy

Godfather: Prince Sebastien of Luxembourg

If Stephanie and Guillaume have a son, they could honor Grand Duke Adolphe of Luxembourg by using one of Adolphe's middle names August for their son.

Even if Adolphe is used as the last of several middle names for a son, it would still be a nice tribute to Grand Duke Adolphe.

Last edited by a moderator:
And for the girl - Nicole.

These are the names which are used for the soon to be born baby's first cousins:

Amalia, Liam, Gabriel, Noah, Caroline, Louise, Antoine, Maxime, Teresa, Ignace, Jacques, Antonia, Charlotte, Madeleine, Alix, Victoria, Theodore, Philippe, Gustave, Leopold, Isaure, Aline, Lancelot, Heloise, Nicodeme, Foucault.

They are sweet and quite French. I think Stepanie and Gaullaume will choose a name not exactly the same as a niece or nephew.

These are the names which are used for the soon to be born baby's first cousins:

Amalia, Liam, Gabriel, Noah, Caroline, Louise, Antoine, Maxime, Teresa, Ignace, Jacques, Antonia, Charlotte, Madeleine, Alix, Victoria, Theodore, Philippe, Gustave, Leopold, Isaure, Aline, Lancelot, Heloise, Nicodeme, Foucault.

They are sweet and quite French. I think Stepanie and Gaullaume will choose a name not exactly the same as a niece or nephew.

Hmm, not unsurprisingly there is already a little Alix (named after her grandmother) among the cousins; so the Marie-Alix that was proposed by cdm might be a way to distinguish the two Alix-es (not that anyone would be confused if one of the two is a princess of Luxembourg and future grand-duchess of Luxembourg).

I don't have any specific guesses for the baby's name, but if it's a girl, I really HOPE they name her Adelaide.

I can also image them naming their daughter Alix or Charlotte.

While Adélaïde seems a very royal name (although I am still not fully sure how to pronounce it); I don't think it is likely given that Henri's grandmother became queen because her elder sister grand duchess Marie-Adélaïde was 'forced' to abdicate over her supposed support for the German occupation during World War I.

On a side note: the Dutch (and probably German) name for Marie-Adélaïde was Marie-Adelheid. The word 'Adel' in Adelheid means Noble in Dutch; adelheid could probably be best translated as nobleness.

While Adélaïde seems a very royal name (although I am still not fully sure how to pronounce it); I don't think it is likely given that Henri's grandmother became queen because her elder sister grand duchess Marie-Adélaïde was 'forced' to abdicate over her supposed support for the German occupation during World War I.

On a side note: the Dutch (and probably German) name for Marie-Adélaïde was Marie-Adelheid. The word 'Adel' in Adelheid means Noble in Dutch; adelheid could probably be best translated as nobleness.

Noble kind. :flowers::flowers:

Adelaide is French form of Adelheid. Heid means kind/sort.

Grand duchess Marie Adelaide was named for both her grandmothers. Jeans eldest sister was also Marie Adelaide.

Many Royal names have some questionable history at best. Though I don't really think they will use it, don't think the history rules it out.

Back
Top Bottom