Baptism of Prince Charles of Luxembourg; 19 Sept. 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Somebody

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
BC
Country
Canada
Today is the day! Prince Charles will be/was baptized today in the abbey Saint Maurice in Clervaux with only family members present, royalblog (in Dutch) reported.

Prince Charles' godparents are prince Louis of Luxembourg and countess Gaëlle de Lannoy (Stéphanie's only unmarried sibling as she is a religious sister).

Hopefully, they'll release a few pictures later today.

Last edited:
Beautiful family! Congratulations to them on such a special day! [emoji4][emoji175]

I wonder why princess Alexandra couldn't be present; is she abroad and not able to travel back to Europe?! And it's a pity that also the princes Gabriel and Noah didn't join the family for this important event.

Trying to identify Stéphanie's siblings and their families on the pictures in this article.

Fourth picture: sibling #7: Countess/Baroness Isabelle and baron Jean-Charles de le Court with 5 of their 6 children: Isaure de le Court (b. 2003), Aline de le Court (b. 2005), Lancelot de le Court (b. 2007), Héloïse de le Court (b. 2010) and Nicodème de le Court (b. 2013) OR Foucault de le Court (b. 2015)
Fifth picture: sibling #2: Count Christian & countess Luisa with Countess Teresa de Lannoy (b. 2010), Count Ignace de Lannoy (b. 2012), Count Jacques (b. 18 February 2014) and countess Alix de Lannoy (b. 2017)
Seventh picture: sibling #1: Count Jehan & countess Béatrice with 3 of their 4 children: Countess Caroline de Lannoy (b. 2001) OR Countess Louise de Lannoy (b. 2003), Count Antoine de Lannoy (b. 2005) and Count Maxime de Lannoy (b. 2006)

I didn't know the Belgian nobility (and Félix' family) also preferred that weird combination of long sleeves, shorts and high socks - thought it was the British upper class. High socks with a sleeveless dress is probably even worse...
'
I'd say the de la Court family wins the 'best dressed' non-competition.

Last edited:
Fifth picture: sibling #2: Count Christian & countess Luisa with Countess Teresa de Lannoy (b. 2010), Count Ignace de Lannoy (b. 2012), Count Jacques (b. 18 February 2014) and countess X de Lannoy (not included in Wikipedia, will look for her name)

She is called Alix and was born in 2017.

Looks like a beautiful day for the Baptism of Prince Charles and what a wondering setting at the Abbaye Saint-Maurice et Saint-Maur de Clervaux.

I didn't expect Prince Charles to be baptized at the Abby St. Maurice but it's suitably grand for his status. What a beautiful, chubby cheeked baby!

I agree that this topic needs its own thread.

Last edited:
I didn't expect Prince Charles to be baptized at the Abby St. Maurice but it's suitably grand for his status.

In the article at wort.lu it is mentioned that the town Clervaux has also a branch to the de Lannoy Family as a branch of the Family lived there from the 17th till the 19th Century

:previous: Thank you Stefan. Since the monks of the Abby sang/chanted the Mass, i bet it was very beautiful and impressive.

I was not aware of the ancient and historical links of the de Lannoy family with Clervaux, but i had always assumed that as the direct Heir, Prince Charles would be baptized in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.

Will there be any hard feelings or grumbling about that in Luxembourg?

I was not aware of the ancient and historical links of the de Lannoy family with Clervaux, but i had always assumed that as the direct Heir, Prince Charles would be baptized in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.

Will there be any hard feelings or grumbling about that in Luxembourg?

But Clervaux is in the Grand Duchy.

Last edited by a moderator:
But Clervaux is in the Grand Duchy.

For some reason I have always thought Clervaux was located in France. Thanks for the correction Stefan....please pardon my ignorance everyone!:sad:

Last edited:
Happy to wake up to the news of the baptism and photos. :flowers:

The very proud parents. And Charles look quite content and bubbly ;)

Beautiful church for the baptism. I love it has a connection to her family too.

Well I was right, godparents from the family (no foreign royals as some hoped) and one from each side. Kind of thought with a boy that it would be a royal godfather and de Lannoy godmother and was right. Was just wrong one which ones would be chosen. Nice that they chose her nun sister.

Hope Sebastian didn't have too bad of an accident. I do wonder what happened. And where Alexandra is.

:previous: Gaelle is still a nun? I wonder why she is referred to by her birth title, and not as "Sister" as she was at the time of the death of her mother the Countess de Lannoy?

Since she is wearing what looks to be civilian clothes, I assumed she no longer belonged to the Order.

:previous: Gaelle is still a nun? I wonder why she is referred to by her birth title, and not as "Sister" as she was at the time of the death of her mother the Countess de Lannoy?

Since she is wearing what looks to be civilian clothes, I assumed she no longer belonged to the Order.

She is not a nun but an oblate or a consecrated virgin. Therefore she is entitled to civilian clothes.

I just looked at RTL video. It was said the christening did not take place today, as it had already be celebrated. What was celebrated today was a thanksgiving mass with complementary rites of baptism, like the oil anointing. Why little prince Charles has already been baptized has not be revealed. However, the RTL video is formal : it was not a christening mass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you to everyone for contributing all of the photos, video, historical background of Clervaux and identification of HGD Stephanie's family. Baby Prince Charles could not be more adorable, so calm. The christening was worth waiting all these months for. It certainly made my morning (of course not much going on here but more pandemic and smoke filled skies from ongoing wildfires). Anyway, I am thoroughly happy for Guillaume and Stephanie!

Add on: Apparently now not a christening but a Thanksgiving Mass with rites of Baptism. So this is to mean the christening, or naming ceremony may have already taken place?

Last edited:
For some reason I have always thought Clervaux was located in France. Thanks for the correction Stefan....please pardon my ignorance everyone!:sad:

Apologies for being slightly off topic: there is indeed an Abbaye de Clairvaux in France :flowers: Confusion between Clervaux and Clairvaux might happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clairvaux_Abbey

So happy to see the family gathering for a joyful event! Charles is so precious and chubby.

She is not a nun but an oblate or a consecrated virgin. Therefore she is entitled to civilian clothes.

I just looked at RTL video. It was said the christening did not take place today, as it had already be celebrated. What was celebrated today was a thanksgiving mass with complementary rites of baptism, like the oil anointing. Why little prince Charles has already been baptized has not be revealed. However, the RTL video is formal : it was not a christening mass.

What...SERIOUSLY? Then why was he dressed in traditional baptismal robes? When did the "real" event take place and why wasn't it announced?

I find this difficult to understand or believe. The RTL newscaster stated very specifically that the baby has "TODAY received the Holy Sacrament" and that " the future Head of State was TODAY welcomed into the Catholic Faith".

For a Catholic there is only one Sacrament of Baptism not two. A candidate for Baptism is never anointed separately from his/ her baptism.

It all takes place at the same time. I think the baby was baptized DURING the Mass, which is what happened with the Monaco twins.

The other explanation of a prior, secret baptism for the Heir simply makes no sense imo.

Last edited:
What...SERIOUSLY? Then why was he dressed in traditional baptismal robes? When did the "real" event take place and why wasn't it announced?

I find this difficult to understand or believe. The RTL newscaster stated very specifically that the baby has "TODAY received the Holy Sacrament" and that " the future Head of State was TODAY welcomed into the Catholic Faith".

For a Catholic there is only one Sacrament of Baptism not two. A candidate for Baptism is never anointed separately from his/ her baptism.

It all takes place at the same time. I think the baby was baptized DURING the Mass, which is what happened with the Monaco twins.

The other explanation of a prior, secret baptism for the Heir simply makes no sense imo.

On social networks of the Luxembourg Monarchy it is written that the photos are of the baptism of Prince Charles. It doesn't make sense that he had a secret christening before.

Video:

More information, photos and video on the website of the Luxembourg Monarchy:
http://www.monarchie.lu/fr/actualites/evenements/2020/09/19092020-bapteme-prince-charles/index.html

Last edited:
:previous: Thank you for further discussion and clarification. So this was obviously the Baptism, as the anointing with oil seen in the video. Christening or "naming" could have been included or not with today's Baptism. Of course, none of this should detract from the beauty of today's ceremony. Again, so happy for Guillaume and Stephanie and adorable baby Prince Charles!

Last edited:

How does that exactly work? Typically it is stated that she is 'a religious sister'; I assumed Roman Catholic Religious Sisters would be nuns but look forward to learn more about this phenomenon.

How does that exactly work? Typically it is stated that she is 'a religious sister'; I assumed Roman Catholic Religious Sisters would be nuns but look forward to learn more about this phenomenon.

A Catholic nun is a woman who lives as a contemplative life in a monastery which is usually cloistered (or enclosed) or semi-cloistered. Her ministry and prayer life is centered within and around the monastery for the good of the world. She professes the perpetual solemn vows living a life according to the evangelical counsels of poverty, celibacy, and obedience. Check out the Carmelite Nuns of Baltimore for example.
A Catholic sister is a woman who lives, ministers, and prays within the world. A sister's life is often called "active" or "apostolic" because she is engaged in the works of mercy and other ministries that take the Gospel to others where they are. She professes perpetual simple vows living a life according to the evangelical counsels of poverty, celibacy, and obedience. Check out the IHM Sisters of Monroe, Michigan for example.

https://anunslife.org/how-to-become-a-nun/sister-or-nun

The simplest explanation I could find for people.

:previous: Thank you for further discussion and clarification. So this was obviously the Baptism, as the anointing with oil seen in the video. Christening or "naming" could have been included or not with today's Baptism. Of course, none of this should detract from the beauty of today's ceremony. Again, so happy for Guillaume and Stephanie and adorable baby Prince Charles!

In the Catholic religion, christening and baptism are different words for the same event. There is also no separate naming ceremony.

The baby is anointed with oil, baptized with water, and called by his full given name all at the same ceremony.

I hope Stephanie and Gui will have at least one more child but even if they don't, they have every right to be thrilled. Their first born son is perfection.?

Indeed, there is only one Sacrament of baptism, but when an emergency baptism ("ondoiement", in French) takes place, the anointing can be done in a separate mass or celebration after the baptism. There are rules for this case.

The french title for this video is "Messe d'action de grâce" (Thanksgiving mass) : https://www.rtl.lu/lifestyle/news/a/1577167.html

And the paper states :

Fir 3 Auer Mëttes ware si op Clierf an d’Abtei bestallt, fir eng "Messe d'action de grâce pour le baptême de SAR le Prince Charles avec les rites complémentaires du baptême", sou deen offiziellen Titel vun de Feierlechkeete vun e Samschdeg de Mëtteg, gedeeft ass de Prënz Charel nämlech schonn, vum Kardinol.

No baptistery was seen on the pictures, so there was definitely no christening today.

Last edited:
Monarchie.lu uses the phrase 'Bapteme' - and includes several pictures both outside and inside the church (including a GD family picture).

Indeed, but RTL states it was a "Messe d'action de grâce pour le baptême de SAR le Prince Charles avec les rites complémentaires du baptême", as it was written on the mass booklet. As it was a mass, it took place, in a logical way, in a church.

Last edited:
Indeed, but RTL states it was a "Messe d'action de grâce pour le baptême de SAR le Prince Charles avec les rites complémentaires du baptême", as it was written on the mass booklet. As it was a mass, it took place, in a logical way, in a church.

Yes, I don't think anyone suggested otherwise?! I was just pointing out that pictures taken within the church were include as the press only had pictures from outside...

Can you share a picture of the mass booklet?

Back
Top Bottom