What If: Victoria and Another Heir or Prince

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

monos26

Gentry
City
Chicago
Country
United States
If these two marry, who will be Queen (or King) of Sweden?

Technically, Victoria could still be queen of Sweden. But William would have to give up his claim to the British throne. Now I believe that is a small price to pay. Ha ha ha. But were he not to give up his claim to the British throne then she would have to and then Carl Philip would be the next in line and that would just be very unfortunate for CP.

An added factor is religion: One of them would have to convert, especially if Victoria married William, as William would be head of the Church of England, Victoria would have to convert from her Lutheran (?) to Anglican. And of course, vice versa, William would have to covert to Lutheran (?) if he were to marry Victoria.

At any rate, I doubt that this is a relationship that will happen. I don't even think these two individuals have ever met.

Yes, he would have to convert. I have a question then. Why would she have to convert?
If the provision of him not marrying a Catholic is in place, why would it matter if his bride would have to convert anyway? So I think the future bride of William would not have to convert to Church of England. She just can not be Catholic. That being said. William would have to convert to the Swedish Lutheran Church in order to become a member of the Royal Family.

Originally posted by Dennism@Apr 28th, 2004 - 1:57 pm
Yes, he would have to convert. I have a question then. Why would she have to convert?
If the provision of him not marrying a Catholic is in place, why would it matter if his bride would have to convert anyway? So I think the future bride of William would not have to convert to Church of England. She just can not be Catholic. That being said. William would have to convert to the Swedish Lutheran Church in order to become a member of the Royal Family.
Haven't you sort of answered your own question?

... If William can't marry a non-Catholic, period, then he can't marry Victoria of Sweden as she is a Luthern, and hence no issue of whether or not she would need to convert.

The provision is that he can not marry a Catholic. So I am thinking that this is illogical unless the non-Windsor does not have to convert in which case it is something else.

Originally posted by Dennism@Apr 28th, 2004 - 2:04 pm
The provision is that he can not marry a Catholic. So I am thinking that this is illogical unless the non-Windsor does not have to convert in which case it is something else.
I think the provision is that he can not marry someone not of the Anglican faith. A previous discussion here about William's future wife's religion was based on her being Catholic, but not limited to the Catholic faith, simply used as an example.

O, I thought it was just that she can not be Catholic. Okay. Then well if they were to get married and William would keep his claim then she would have to convert as well.

Historically princesses from Germany and Scadinavian countries married to Great Britain without problems. Even a Grand Duchess with her Russian Orthodox married to the Windsor family. Anyway, if it was in the very old days, the two kingdoms would join together!! If not, they would come up with an agreetment which says the first child of the marriage would become the heir of this or that kingdom and the second child would become the heir of the other kingdom and would be taken to that kingdom for this many months a year etc.

Originally posted by Dennism@Apr 28th, 2004 - 1:04 pm
But as a EU State he could go to court and sue Great Britain for this law. And probably would win. As Britain siegned a EU contract! Anyway i think the law just says that he has to have this and that religion, leke it is in Sweden too. But I think you could sue against it and would win!

I think they´ve met only once. Back in 1999 when they both was godparents to the newborn Konstantine of Greece. I think it was in april... I´ll see if I can find any pics from the christening.

Originally posted by Yennie@Jun 17th, 2004 - 3:55 pm
I think they´ve met only once. Back in 1999 when they both was godparents to the newborn Konstantine of Greece. I think it was in april... I´ll see if I can find any pics from the christening.
A picture of the christening

I think it was the only time that they have met. It´s really a pity that prince William never participates in foreign Royal events :(

About ten years ago there was a rumour that Crown princess Victoria had a very good relationship with Crown prince Willem-Alexander, both heirs of the thrones.
A real relationship or just friendship?

She seemed to be linked with every eligible prince/crown prince for awhile. William of Wales, Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands, Frederik of Denmark, probably Haakon of Norway too...

Originally posted by Alexandria@Apr 28th, 2004 - 1:08 pm
I think the provision is that he can not marry someone not of the Anglican faith. A previous discussion here about William's future wife's religion was based on her being Catholic, but not limited to the Catholic faith, simply used as an example.
Prince William can marry any woman he wants but they must convert to the Church of England in order for William to stay in the line of sucession. He could marry a Catholic as long as she converts to the Anglican faith. It has happened where the new wife refuses to change her religion and therefore her spouse loses his place in the line of sucession.

It's an old outdated law in my view along with the law then the first born male should succeed...but that's another debate ;)

Originally posted by DDD@Jun 18th, 2004 - 12:00 am
About ten years ago there was a rumour that Crown princess Victoria had a very good relationship with Crown prince Willem-Alexander, both heirs of the thrones.
At one point, many years ago, there were rumours in some circles that Willem-Alexander had a "crush" for Victoria. They were seen quite a lot together, but then I think it just came to nothing since his feelings were not shared by her. Now they are friends.

Originally posted by Moonlightrhapsody@Jun 17th, 2004 - 6:12 pm
She seemed to be linked with every eligible prince/crown prince for awhile. William of Wales, Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands, Frederik of Denmark, probably Haakon of Norway too...
Can hardly blame them... :flower:

Originally posted by DDD@Jun 17th, 2004 - 5:00 pm
Rumours, it was not true. According the gossip mags, he had also a relationship with Martha-Louise (that was also not true). He has with Victoria just a very good friendship :) I see on television and pictures Willem-Alexander and Victoria always talking with each other, after weddings and other official things (really always :blink: ) .

(Moonlightrhapsody @ Jun 17th, 2004 - 6:12 pm)
Anything, I repeat Anything, to "drive" the gossip mill .... sales increase, people lose sleep, people chatter about the impossible taking place.

Come on !!!!..... our modern world is driven by legislation .... no longer (except for Liechtenstein) are the "whims" of the reigning monarch catered to by you and me taxpayer.

If Victoria marries William .... it does neither of them good. imho Victoria would be perceived as a traitor by her country for abandoning Sweden, and I suspect the same attitude might be perceived in good ole England (by the poorer end of the paying public). And that goes for every other country's crown prince for that matter.

Also, in the old days, marriage added territory .... that would mean Sweden would become subservient to England. Ha !

Originally posted by King Christian@Jun 27th, 2004 - 1:53 pm
Also, in the old days, marriage added territory .... that would mean Sweden would become subservient to England. Ha !
Well, not if he gave up the throne and she became queen. Sweden could do a lot with England. First order of business: Make Swedish compulsory in schools! :p

"I see on television and pictures Willem-Alexander and Victoria always talking with each other, after weddings and other official things"

Or how about that look that Letiizia gave Victoria at the Danish wedding. "Get your arm off of my soon-to-be husband, you Swedish meatball." :p

Originally posted by Dennism@Jun 28th, 2004 - 6:44 am
you Swedish meatball." :p
ouch :doh: And that out of the mouth of Dennis *shakinghead*

Ouch. Well, I was just imagining the scene there.

so wonder who would leave the throne for the other

William would leave it to harry
victoria would leave it for carl philip

im pretty sure it is a rule that a Crown Prince/ss cannot marry another Crown Prince/ss. The heir to the throne cannot marry someone who is in line for their own throne.

that is what i ment

would william give up the throne or would victoria do it

I think their parent will simply not allow their marriage.

silly question , but what would happen if Victoria fell for Prince william , would she be able to be queen of England as well as sweden???

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom