Victoria's Future Title?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those are only I's because of former ones. Until the current British Queen took over, Elizabeth I was called just Elizabeth.

Not as far as I know she wasn't.
That doesn't make sense, to change someones name, just because another Queen with the same name comes to reign.

Along with Queen of Sweden (in her own right), will Victoria (and Daniel) keep the ducal title(s) for Vastergotland after her accession or will it be passed onto her heir(ess)?

Along with Queen of Sweden (in her own right), will Victoria (and Daniel) keep the ducal title(s) for Vastergotland after her accession or will it be passed onto her heir(ess)?

I don't know but I don't think the ducal titles are inherited in a direct way like for example in England and there probably isn't a specific ducal title for the heir (correct me if I'm wrong). The title may become 'free' again and may be assigned to one of her children or even grandchildren?

I don't know but I don't think the ducal titles are inherited in a direct way like for example in England and there probably isn't a specific ducal title for the heir (correct me if I'm wrong). The title may become 'free' again and may be assigned to one of her children or even grandchildren?

Yes there is no specific ducal title for the heir. Carl Philip who was the heir when was born is Duke of Värmland and Carl Gustaf was Duke of Jamtland and Gustaf VI. Adolf was Duke of Skane. The last Duke of Västergotland before Victorias was Prince Carl, the third son of King Oscar II.

Officially she will be HM Queen Victoria of Sweden. However in order to avoid confusion with HIM Queen Victoria of UK etc, I can see the press and some people refer to her as "Victoria I" to make a differentiation between the two when the name is shortened to "Victoria". I'd also hope that this Reginal name becomes replicated in the future (in Sweden) as well.

there probably isn't a specific ducal title for the heir (correct me if I'm wrong).

No, I think you might be right on that because I've noticed all the Scandinavian countries just use 'crown prince/crown princess' for their heirs - there's no specific title like with Spain, England, Monaco, the Netherlands, Belgium, ect. If there were, Frederick, Victoria and Haakon would be using them, I'm pretty sure. I find it kind of odd though that they don't have titles for heirs, but maybe it's a Scandinavian tradition or something.

I wonder if she'd be just Victoria I or maybe Victoria I Ingrid.. as her father is Carl XVI Gustaf and great-grandfather Gusfaf VI Adolf? Seems a bit strange to me but is it normal in Sweden?

I wonder if she'd be just Victoria I or maybe Victoria I Ingrid.. as her father is Carl XVI Gustaf and great-grandfather Gusfaf VI Adolf? Seems a bit strange to me but is it normal in Sweden?

Don't think so as her name she is called by is only Victoria. But her father and great-grandfather where always Carl Gustaf /Gustaf Adolf.

Don't think so as her name she is called by is only Victoria. But her father and great-grandfather where always Carl Gustaf /Gustaf Adolf.

Why are the names Carl/ Gustaf and Gustaf/Adolf separated by numerals? That seems to be consistently done in Sweden.

Why are the names Carl/ Gustaf and Gustaf/Adolf separated by numerals? That seems to be consistently done in Sweden.

Probably because the Carl part of the name is repeated, and the Gustaf/Adolf/etc is to further specify which king. Maybe?

Historical reasons, goes back to Gustav II Adolf, and my guess is they did it then to get the numericals up faster since the then new Vasa dynasty was VERY eager to get high numericals indicate that Sweden was an anicent Realm.

It's certain that Victoria will be Queen of Sweden one day. But I am not so sure if Victoria will reign as head of the House of Bernadotte? I am guessing that after Carl Gustaf the next head of the House of Bernadotte will be Carl Philip not Victoria.

Rebuttal anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
As for Victoria being Head of the House of Bernadotte, she probably won't be until Carl XVI Gustaf has passed away. After that, she'll take his place as the head of the family house.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe Victoria will be styled as Queen Victoria I of Sweden.

It's certain that Victoria will be Queen of Sweden one day. But I am not so sure if Victoria will reign as head of the House of Bernadotte? I am guessing that after Carl Gustaf the next head of the House of Bernadotte will be Carl Philip not Victoria.

Rebuttal anyone?

If there had been such an agreement between Victoria and Carl Philip would it not have become known by now?

That would be nice, but for the time being Swedes do not put numbers after monarch's names (King Adolf Fredrik or Queen Ulrika Eleonora, for example) unless there is a second of the same name.

But since 1890 The Netherlands had queens, so it was not the case that if the king didn't had any sons the trone would go to an other male royal family member.

In 1890 there were no surviving male members of the royal house of the Netherlands. If there had been, that prince would have become King of the Netherlands instead of Queen Wilhelmina.

Last edited:

She would be just queen Victoria of Sweden. Monarchs whose name hasn't used before in their countries not usua<lly use name XXXX I until there is someone another with ssame name. For example queen Victoria of Britain is called just as Victoria not Victoria I since there hasn't been Victoria II. Or currently reigning monarchs Bhilippe of Belgium is just Philippe and pope Francis is just Francis without numbering. And about past rulers for example Elizabeth I wasn't numbered before there was clear that there will be Elizabeth II.

Rebuttal anyone?
If there had been such an agreement between Victoria and Carl Philip would it not have become known by now?
Wrong thread for this reply, but I'll post here anyway since I always fail to link properly.

I think that the King's actions during his reform of the Royal house/family in 2019 show that to him the next head of the House of Bernadotte is the future Queen Victoria and not her brother who has, at least to my knowledge, relinquished all his rights to the different family entails and foundations. It's quite telling that there has been no provisions made to retain titles or status for the agnatic line of the House of Bernadotte whose last royal member will be Prince Carl Philip. A son or grandson of Prince Alexander will be like a future Duke of Gloucester; both might be the most senior agnatic member of their respective houses, but both will have been sidelined by history while a cognatic descendant wears the crown.

Last edited:
And what if she for example saywhen here time come: People as a Queen I wan be know as for example Queen Smilla of Sweden or Smilla Queen of Sweden?

Are there any laws in Sweden about name of the regnant king/queen? I mean can he/she choose regnal name?

I believe Victoria could choose her regnal name.
King Gustaf V was originally Oscar Gustaf Adolf.
He could have been King Oscar III. Instead he was King Gustaf V.

I believe Victoria could choose her regnal name.
King Gustaf V was originally Oscar Gustaf Adolf.
He could have been King Oscar III. Instead he was King Gustaf V.

Victoria pretty certainly preserves her name. Not any point change her name since she is known as Victoria whole of her life and there is zero reason even to think that her should change her name when ascends to the throne.

Victoria will be Queen Victoria or possibly Queen Victoria I as swedish monarch’s tends to use the ”I” when they are the first regnant of their name… It’s even historically verified that King Gustaf Vasa styled himself as ”King Gustaf I”

Sweden don’t have the tradition of monarch’s changing their name when they becomes King (apart from Jean Baptiste Bernadotte)

Sweden don’t have the tradition of monarch’s changing their name when they becomes King (apart from Jean Baptiste Bernadotte)

While this doesn't impact on the point you were making, didn't Jean Baptiste / Johan Baptist's change of name occur when he was still Crown Prince, when he was adopted by King Carl XIII? The previous elected Crown Prince, Christian August of Augustenburg, also changed his name to Carl August after his election.

Victoria pretty certainly preserves her name. Not any point change her name since she is known as Victoria whole of her life and there is zero reason even to think that her should change her name when ascends to the throne.

Victoria is a good name - it can stay! :)

While this doesn't impact on the point you were making, didn't Jean Baptiste / Johan Baptist's change of name occur when he was still Crown Prince, when he was adopted by King Carl XIII? The previous elected Crown Prince, Christian August of Augustenburg, also changed his name to Carl August after his election.

You are right. Both of them changed their name when they were adopted by the (officially) childless King and became Crown Prince.

Back
Top Bottom