Victoria as a Godmother/Sponsor

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If Victoria will have more royal godchildren in the future?

If Victoria will have more royal godchildren in the future?

She might have. For example, she may be the godmother of one of Guillaume's future children if he has any. Furthermore, assuming Victoria lives until an old age and reigns in Sweden for a long time after she succeeds her father, she might end up being godmother of Amalia's firstborn for example, or of one of Christian's or Ingrid-Alexandra's children.

I think Estelle will be godmother to those children.

Wow, 18 is a lot of godchildren! It would be so cool if they could indeed get together and for a group photo (but I guess the parents of Victoria's non-royal godchildren may not want their children to be in the spotlight much). Does anybody know what the royal record is so far? I wonder if Victoria's been beaten yet :D

Many of the older royals, at least British, have amassed large numbers. The queen I think has 30 and Philip has at least twenty. The difference is Victoria has a number of royal godchildren, including three future monarchs, which makes her stand out. The only royal godchildren I am aware Elizabeth has are Alexander of Yugoslavia and Theodora of Greece. The queen mother had 34 including Irene of the Netherlands, Sofia of Spain, Benedikte of Denmark and astrid of Norway.

Last edited:
The Swedish Press reports 18 but I can only count 17- who am I missing? I attempted to list them by their ages.
1. Vivien Sommerlath
2. Guilia Sommerlath
3. Prince Constantine-Alexios of Greece
4. Madeleine von Dincklage
5. Ian de Geer
6. Ian Persson
7. Leopold Somerlath
8. Princess Catharina Amalia of the Netherlands
9. Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway
10. Prince Christian of Denmark
11. Willem Dinkelspiel
12. Diane Engsäll
13. Princess Eleonore of Belgium
14. Princess Leonore of Sweden
15. Princess Katharina of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha
16. Desiree Magnusson
17. Prince Alexander of Sweden

The Swedish Press reports 18 but I can only count 17- who am I missing? I attempted to list them by their ages.
1. Vivien Sommerlath
2. Guilia Sommerlath
3. Prince Constantine-Alexios of Greece
4. Madeleine von Dincklage
5. Ian de Geer
6. Ian Persson
7. Leopold Somerlath
8. Princess Catharina Amalia of the Netherlands
9. Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway
10. Prince Christian of Denmark
11. Willem Dinkelspiel
12. Diane Engsäll
13. Princess Eleonore of Belgium
14. Princess Leonore of Sweden
15. Princess Katharina of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha
16. Desiree Magnusson
17. Prince Alexander of Sweden

The missing one is Chloé Nilsson, the daughter of Caroline Kreuger Nilsson and Jesper Nilsson, born in April 2008.
Leopold Sommerlath and Ian de Geer are both born in 2002. Ian Persson is born in 2003.

Last edited:
As Victoria had a special role at the wedding of Prince Philip and Princess Danica of Serbia I wonder if she will also godmother of their son, Prince Stefan!

Last edited by a moderator:
Victoria's goddaughter Diana Engsäll with her sister Isabella
https://files.elledecoration.se/uploads/sites/42/2019/07/img_6765.jpg

Victoria and her godson Léopold Lundén Sommerlath (17) at Laleh's concert at Borgholm Castle, 13th July.
https://1.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:152980021:1800x650:w?v=5d3ab627&m=kcfdcofi

Crown Princess Victoria and the 18 godchildren
Crown Princess Victoria has an impressive troop of godchildren. Many royal colleagues and personal friends have honored her over the years. We know how she makes all 18 feel looked after.
18. So many godchildren Victoria has. And after the weekend celebration in Norway, in conjunction with Princess Ingrid Alexandra's confirmation, it is clear that the Swedish crown princess is an extremely committed godmother. She is a role model for several future regents in Europe and we can reveal that she maintains close contact with all her godchildren.
Does the Crown Princess pay attention to everyone's birthdays?
- Yes she does. She thinks it is nice and honorable to be a godmother, says Margareta Thorgren.
Does she call them?
- How she contacts them is nothing we go into in details.
Victoria has been in a warm and motherly way only since her teens and also served as Carl Philips and Madeleine's "extra-mom" when the King couple was out and traveling when the children were young.
Kronprinsessan Victoria och de 18 gudbarnen _ Svensk Dam

Very impressive to be a godmother to 18 ! More impressive that she's in regular contact with all of them.

Even if Victoria were not destined to be Sweden's first modern Queen Regnant, she has racked up an admirable list of achievement that any child, male or female, can be inspired by starting with her charm and killer mega-watt smile that makes the recipient feel special.

Victoria has shared the hurdles of her life so they may be a lesson to young Swedish children, actually children everywhere:
  • She was very shy when she was young and the pressure led to an eating disorder. She stands as proof that it can be beaten,

• She thought she was dumb as a child because she was an undiagnosed dyslexic. Once diagnosed, she applied herself diligently and stands as proof that while (I think) there is no cure, it can be managed, and she has!

• As to her shyness, I think she really worked at and with help with her eating disorder and dyslexia, she has grown into a well-rounded, well-educated woman and mother.

If that isn't a recipe for the perfect Godmother I don't know what is. (I hear she also takes an interest in them.

Last edited:
Victoria's goddaughter Diana Engsäll has today her 13th birthday. Photo from Saturday.
https://files.elle.se/uploads/sites/82/2020/03/img_7588-900x1200.jpg

Diana's mother Andrea Brodin writes at her blog:
Today is no ordinary day, it is Diana's birthday! The little darling turns 13, a little milestone still, says the tender mother with trembling voice.
After singing and cake on the bed, it was a quick breakfast and school as usual. Tonight we will be a very decimated bunch celebrating. These are strange times now. We tend to be my whole big family celebrating and so gladly 1-2 godparents but now there are only three guests. It's the thought that counts.

And Svensk Damtidning writes that there is much that needs to be cancelled right now in the life of Crown Princess Victoria. Like her goddaughter Diana's birthday celebration. This has never happened before.
Victorias tillställning stoppad – traditionen bryts efter 13 år _ Svensk Dam

Victoria's goddaughter Diana Brodin Engsäll had the last day of the compulsory schooling on Thursday. Diana's mother Andrea Brodin tells at her blog, that Diana got a scholarship, and as a mother she was touched and cried. Andrea writes that Diana is ready for gymnasium/upper secondary school.
Diana and Andrea at the celebration of the last school day
https://files-aller-blogger-platfor...0/2023/06/IMG_0991.jpeg?w=850&fit=max&fm=webp
Skolavslutning _ Andrea Brodin

Diana with her father Niclas Engsäll
https://www.instagram.com/p/CteXSkHM563/?img_index=1

Back
Top Bottom