The 18th Birthday - 14 July, 1995

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My favourite picture from Crown Princess Victoria's 18th birthday - no words needed for this:

Attachments

• Vackraste porträttet.jpg
    Vackraste porträttet.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 457
It was really splendid to see that little video of the CP's coming of age ceremony. The Royal Hall is quite imposing, and the Silver Throne is of course an extremely impressive object. One noitces however that as the King actually sat in it for his Oath-Taking, he did not sit in it for the Crown Prnicess's ceremony. Is it now considered "too much" for the King to actually use the Throne; or is it perhaps not the appropriate event to use it ?

Gutsy said:
It was really splendid to see that little video of the CP's coming of age ceremony. The Royal Hall is quite imposing, and the Silver Throne is of course an extremely impressive object. One noitces however that as the King actually sat in it for his Oath-Taking, he did not sit in it for the Crown Prnicess's ceremony. Is it now considered "too much" for the King to actually use the Throne; or is it perhaps not the appropriate event to use it ?
The Hall of State can be quite impressive at these occasions, yes - it's a pity we don't get so see more of these grand ceremonies and stuff. About the Throne - I don't think it has been used since the King became King. Personally, I think it's a pity really, because it would bring back some of the old pomp that used to be around the King and his Court. But I don't know why it's not used anymore, my guess would be that the King doesn't find it very modern and that it's "outdated" (his motto being "For Sweden - with the Times").

Josefine said:
here is her dress
attachment.php
last week i was with a friend at livrustkammaren and saw this thread
i like it better when you see it with your own eyes then on a photo

do anyone knoe why she was dressed in a long gown instead in a suit and hat?
the colour has to be becouse of our flag

I think it was a very formal occasion where a suit wouldn´t be "good" enough. This must be because she is the crown princess. Madeleine wore a suit on her 18th birthday and so did Carl Philip

where is the The Hall of State loceted and are there more photo sof it somewhere

Here are a few more

Attachments

• showLayoutImage7.jpg
    showLayoutImage7.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,036
  • showLayoutImage5.jpg
    showLayoutImage5.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 486
  • showLayoutImage4.jpg
    showLayoutImage4.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 470
  • showLayoutImage2.jpg
    showLayoutImage2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 539
  • showLayoutImage1.jpg
    showLayoutImage1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 977
and one with the silver throne in the background
the throne she may sit on

Attachments

• showLayoutImage3.jpg
    showLayoutImage3.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 778
Wonderful pics, Josefine - thanks for posting them!

I attach a pic of the Hall of State, which you asked about. It's hard to explain where it's situated, I think the place you go in via is called Slottsbacken - and it is just to the left when you go in through that gate, and then you walk up one stairs.

Attachments

• Rikssalen.jpg
    Rikssalen.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 983
thank you

I visited this hallo last week quite impressive actully

i like this photo with the king reaching for his dougtier arm

Attachments

• Untitled-11.jpg
    Untitled-11.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 956
  • 10664878_1.jpg
    10664878_1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,121
Last edited:
with the crowd

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 741
i would like to hear what victoria thought about this day was she nervous
were there any celebratiuon at soliden

She said a couple of years ago (I think it was in "Victoria, Victoria") that she was very nervous because of the speech.

Yes, there was celebrations at Öland aswell, in the evening at Borgholms IP. But nothing during the day outside Solliden, as the royal family spent the day in Stockholm

would you call this comming of age cermony or a enthronement ceremony as a Crown Princess?

I'm resurrecting an ancient thread but does anyone still have a video of this, I'd very much like to see it.

did her father also have a official celebration of his 18th birthay?
in back of my mind i think royals before victoria were official grown at the age 21th

Josefine said:
in back of my mind i think royals before victoria were official grown at the age 21th

I don't speak Swedish at all (I mainly infer the meaning from some similarities to German) but if you watch the King's speech in the video, I think he mentions that he remembers his own coming of age ceremony and he gave a date for it which I didn't understand.

I don't speak Swedish at all (I mainly infer the meaning from some similarities to German) but if you watch the King's speech in the video, I think he mentions that he remembers his own coming of age ceremony and he gave a date for it which I didn't understand.

:previous:
Here is Google translation of King's speech to CP Victoria :)

Dear Victoria,
it is now your special day.
We are gathered in the Hall to express our congratulations and also celebrate that now you have achieved the power, as the crown princess, assist me in my major acquisition by the Swedish head of state.
To my mind even in clear memory my allegiance to the Swedish Parliament, here in the Hall in January 1995. I am convinced that your myndighetsdag in the same way will be a milestone also in your life.
You still have several years ahead of study and training. This allows you to well prepare for your future tasks. You are also a link to the future of our country's history. As heir to the throne, you carry in Sweden and the royal family traditions.
It is with great pleasure that I here, to you as a daughter and Sweden's crown princess, expressing your mother's and my own deep trust. We know a lot of confidence for your future deeds and we will always, with your other family, to support and assist you in any way.
Today I have bestowed upon you Seraphim, as a sign of your new-found status and the responsibilities it entails. It is my belief that you in the future with honor and respect will carry this order.
Your mother and I wish you all happiness and success. May God protect you.

if we look when estelle is comming of age february 23th 2030
february is not all that good if we talk about the weather

The age of majority in Sweden was 21 until July 1, 1969 when it was lowered to 20 and from July 1, 1974 it's 18.

In the article in Swedish Wikipedia about the king it's mentioned that crown prince Carl Gustav gave his Oath of Allegiance, Oath of Allegiance (Sweden) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia to his grandfather king Gustav VI Adolf at the Official Opening of the Riksdag in 1965 (I guess in early January as the cermony took place then) so it happened after his 18th birthday and not the 21th, which was the age of majority at the time.

The king and Victoria
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Here is Victoria's dress on display at the Royal Armoury with other royal outfits
From left Gustaf III:s wedding outfit, Gustaf III:s revolutionuniform and Gustav IV Adolf's uniform.

A short video of Victoria's interview due to her 18th birthday which TV4/Gilla TV put to Youtube on Victoria's birthday this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuExOkZlGRI

Medal on Victoria's birthday, by Anni Sundin
https://media.myntbloggen.se/2013/07/DSCN8439-40_1024.jpg

On the cover of Mynttidningen
https://media.antikoren.se/2013/02/500_mt_1995-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I remember hearing the King talk about the fabric used in the blue dress the Crown Princess is wearing. I could have been during the interviews prior to her wedding. The King had seen the fabric on a trip to the US and liked the color so much he bought it. He mentioned he usually does not make such purchases but the fabric really caught his eye and he like it so much.

A group photo signed by king Carl Gustaf, queen Silvia and Victoria was sold last year at Stockholms Auktionsverket. The photo belonged to a former Marshal of the Realm.
Auktion _ Fotografi kungafamiljen med signaturer av tre _ Stockholms Auktionsverk Online _ 460466

Queen Ingrid of Denmark gave a silver box as a gift to Victoria on her 18th birthday. Victoria showed the box at SVT's "Antikrundan".
Ingrid received the silver box as a gift from Prince Gustaf Adolf and Princess Sibylla after she helped them to furnish Haga Palace. The text "To Ingrid with warm thanks Bylla and Edmund" is engraved in the lid.
And queen Ingrid's good wishes are engraved to the box "To Victoria with warm good wishes 14.7.1995 from Aunt Ingrid. The box I got from your grandfather and grandmother shortly after they moved in to Haga in 1932".

Last edited by a moderator:
A video, unfortunately not good quality.

Back
Top Bottom