Sex, names, godparents and Duchy of Victoria's and Daniel's second child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What will it be?

• Boy

Votes: 48 50.0%
  • Girl

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • Twins: Boy & Girl

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Twins: Two Boys

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Twins: Two Girls

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that Estelle only had protestant godparents, but I don't know if that is just coincidence or part of the plan. If they again choose onle protestant godparents, then that would rule out Mathilde or Guillaume. Also I don't think that Baby will have as many royals as godparents as Estelle, so maybe only one or two. Instead they might chose one or two of their closest friends.

I think that Estelle only had protestant godparents, but I don't know if that is just coincidence or part of the plan. If they again choose onle protestant godparents, then that would rule out Mathilde or Guillaume. Also I don't think that Baby will have as many royals as godparents as Estelle, so maybe only one or two. Instead they might chose one or two of their closest friends.

catholic godparents must be allowed by the swedish reformed church because one of Carl Philip's godparents is Prince Leopold of Bavaria who for sure is catholic. Therefoe i think is was comicidence that Estelle has ony protestand godparents.
Read once that the King and Queen wanted Queen Fabiola to be a godmother of i think Victoria but Fabiola refused because of the different religions.

Thanks, Stefan. I'm glad that Mathilde and Guillaume are still in the race. I'd like Guillaume, as he is a bit younger than Mathilde and doesn't already have many royal godchildren. Also he seems close to Victoria, so that would be nice.

More guesses for girls:

Isabelle/Isabella Alice Ingrid Madeleine
Ingrid Mathilde Anna Madeleine
Desiree Anna Caroline Mathilde
Josephine Caroline Anna Mathilde
Amelie Ingrid Anna Mathilde
Amelie Madeleine Anna Mathilde
Catherine Therese Anna Louisa
Desiree Catherine Madeleine Anna
Desiree Amelie Catherine Madeleine
Catherine Ingrid Anna Lilian
Lilian Anna Madeleine Alice
Ingrid Anna Madeleine Alice

Last edited:
Twins: Two Boys

Carl Gustaf
Olof Edmund

Mixed feelings. Would love Estelle to have a little sister, but since this is likely the last, would be nice for Daniel to get a little boy. I am happy either way:flowers: With Estelle I wanted a girl, I love female heirs now that the laws changed, but this baby is happy news either way.

I don't see the name being something way out like Lunette IMO. Yes Estelle was shocking, but unlike little Athena of Denmark, wasn't picked out of thin air. It is a family name, for Estelle Bernadotte. I think they will go a similar route, a family name, but not one overly obvious like Carl or Sibylla.

Godparents (if they use some catholics, I don't think they'll repeat a monarchy like Denmark/Norway/Neth as Vic has many to honor).

My thoughts:
male friend of Daniel
either Gui or Hubertus (if they go the protestant route)
Madeleine
Mathilde or Marie Chantal (if they go the protestant route)
female friend of Vic's like Caroline Kreuger, or female cousin

Like Estelle, the fourth name will possibly be that of one godparent.

Names:

Princess Alice Kristina Lilian Mathilde (swap out Mathilde if not godmother)
Alice: for both Queen Silvia's mother and one of Sibylla's names
Kristina: name common to both families
Lilian: for beloved great aunt
Mathilde: to follow route of Estelle having a godmother's name included

Princess Lilian Sibylla Anna Madeleine
Lilian: beloved aunt
Sibylla: Vic's grandmother
Anna: Daniel's sister, grandmother, and 2 great-grandmothers
Madeleine: again name for godmother

Boy: I will be shocked if the names of their dads are not included, since Estelle has her two grandmothers

Prince Johan Gustaf Olle (insert godfather here)
Johan: for Count Carl Johan
Gustaf: for the king
Olle: for Daniel's dad
last one for a godfather

Prince Edmund Gustaf Olle godfather
Edmund: in honor of the king's father
the others as explained above

This new royal baby will be in line to the throne right after Princess Estelle and until Princess Estelle has her own children. We may see royals closer to or on the throne as godparents.

This new royal baby will be in line to the throne right after Princess Estelle and until Princess Estelle has her own children. We may see royals closer to or on the throne as godparents.

True, baby will have some royal godparents, and likely high up ones. Estelle has 2 future kings at the time (1 now king), a future queen consort, her Princely Uncle and commoner Aunt. I think Daniel will get at least one godparent in though like his sister last time. I could see 3 royal (vs Estelle's four) and two either family or friends.

royals who Vic is godmother of kids to but hasn't named:
Pavlos and MC: godmother to their eldest son
Mathilde and Philippe: godmother to youngest daughter
Hubertus of SaxCoburg: godmother to his daughter

She is also said to be close friends with Gui. Madeleine is a sure bet since she wasn't named for Estelle.

I will go with boy to.
Prince Erik Gustav Johan Magnus , Duke of Dalarnia &Dalsland.

God Parent: Crown Princess Mette-Marit
A Dutch royal
HGD couple (either Guillaume or Stephanie)
A close friend to Victoria
A family friend to Daniel
Another royal

I have a question for the swedish members here: what does "lilla" exactly mean in swedish? Is the english word for "little/small one"? Because I read a tweet, in which the person wondered if "Lilla" stands for the feminine version of "small" when referring to a baby. Apparently Queen Silvia has reffered to the second child of Victoria as "lilla" and it is not clear whether it means a girl or not.
Tweet:

Interesting tidbit- Queen Silvia has referred to Crown Princess Victorias unborn baby as "Lilla", the feminine form of "the little one"
7 Retweet

I have a question for the swedish members here: what does "lilla" exactly mean in swedish? Is the english word for "little/small one"? Because I read a tweet, in which the person wondered if "Lilla" stands for the feminine version of "small" when referring to a baby. Apparently Queen Silvia has reffered to the second child of Victoria as "lilla" and it is not clear whether it means a girl or not.
Tweet:

Interesting tidbit- Queen Silvia has referred to Crown Princess Victorias unborn baby as "Lilla", the feminine form of "the little one"
7 Retweet
Lilla is means "the small" but it's used in everyday speech for both sexes so I wouldn't read too much into it, especially since it's from Silvia. I mean... you can distinguish between it with using lille for a boy or lilla for a girl but they usually get used very loosely and may depend alot on dialects

Lilla is means "the small" but it's used in everyday speech for both sexes so I wouldn't read too much into it, especially since it's from Silvia. I mean... you can distinguish between it with using lille for a boy or lilla for a girl but they usually get used very loosely and may depend alot on dialects

Thanks! I kind of expected this, but the fact that Nicolas was once referred as "lille prins" stilled me doubts:flowers:

My guesses is for a girl......

Frida (after Daniels paternal grandmother)

Sibylle (after Victorias paternal grandmother, her birthname was Sibylle and not Sibylla)

Lilian (after the late Princess)

Máret (a swedish sami name)

If a boy......

Anders (after Daniels paternal grandfather)

Edmund (after Victorias paternal grandfather)

Harald (after the King of Norway and Victorias godfather)

Niillas (a swedish sami name)

Though i expect that V and D will surprise us all again. I hope the boy or girl will be made Duke / Duchess of Västerbotten to honour the former "Haga couple", the parents of the King who was Duke and Duchess of Västerbotten.

I think this child will also have 5 godparents and i guess that they will be......

H.R.H The Crown Prince of Denmark

H.R.H The Crown Princess of Norway

H.R.H Princess Madeleine of Sweden

Mr Andreas Westling (cousin to Daniel)

Ms Heléne Silfverschiöld (cousin to Victoria)

Victoria's paternal grandfather was named Gustaf Adolf, not Edmund.

Victoria's paternal grandfather was named Gustaf Adolf, not Edmund.

His name was Gustaf Adolf Oscar Fredrik Arthur Edmund.

His family always said Edmund to him and still does when they talk about him. They never said Gustaf Adolf.

That's why Carl Philips name is Carl Philip Edmund Bertil for example.

Edmund seems a likely option. Like Estelle, its a family name, but a bit more obscure at not a traditional Swedish royal name like Gustaf.

I am starting to like Oscar. It was the name of both CG's grandfather and great-grandfather (who served as his godfather) before they became king. Might be too traditional for them but would love to see it. What ever name they choose I am 99% sure will be paired with the name of the two grandfathers (like Estelle) and likely the name of a godfather.

Oscar Gustaf Olle (godfather)

a girl I really do hope for Lilian since Maddie didn't use. I'd also prefer her to use it over Sofia and CP if they have a girl,

Lilian Sibylla Frida (godmother)- for 2 great-grandmothers perhaps

As Vic is godmother to so many kids, I don't see her repeating a country. I think we will see 3 royal godparents and 2 commoner. Maddie for sure.

top picks for royal:
Maddie for sure as she wasn't for Estelle and Vic is for Leo
Mathilde or Philippe- Vic is for their youngest
Gui- Victoria is said to be close
Pavlos or his wife- family and Vic is godmother to a son of theirs

non royal:
either Dan's brother in law or a male friend (IMO he will get 1 godparent)
one of the Sommerlath cousins or Gustaf Magnuson
possibly a female friend of Vic's instead of a cousin

Madeleine did use Lilian but as Leonor's second name.

If they use the name of the grandfathers for a boy i think It's more likely that they use Carl and Gunnar. Many swedes spoken name is Carl Gunnar although it is commonly men in the elder generation. The problem with Olle is that it is usually what we call people whos name is Olov or Olof. Daniels father seems to be named Olle (Gunnar) and that is very unusual.

My point with Madeleine was she didn't use it as a FIRST name. Having 2 first cousins with the same first name, no. Maddie using it as a middle name opens the doors for it as a first name for either Vic or CP to use.

Daniels father's name is Olle. That is his given name and what he goes by. I see no reason to believe they wouldn't use it. As seen with Estelle, they certainly don't care how old fashioned a name sounds. Nor does it usually being a nickname preclude it being a middle name.

Carl is the generic name for the royals. It is as much linked with her brother as dad. Gustaf would be the direct honor to her father

Victor Magnuson and Frida Bergström have a son called Edmund, born in December 2012.

Of course Victoria and Daniel could name their daughter as Lilian, although Madeleine used it as the second name for Leonore. Princess Margaretha was named Margaretha Désirée Victoria, and then was born another princess - which was named Désirée Elisabeth Sibylla.

My guesses is for a girl......
Frida (after Daniels paternal grandmother)
Sibylle (after Victorias paternal grandmother, her birthname was Sibylle and not Sibylla)
Lilian (after the late Princess)

Frida would be interesting, but from your list I would give preference to Sibylle and Máret. :flowers: I have no personal choice as I am so convinced it will be a boy. ;) We'll see.

If a boy......
Anders (after Daniels paternal grandfather)
Edmund (after Victorias paternal grandfather)
Harald (after the King of Norway and Victorias godfather)

Though i expect that V and D will surprise us all again. I hope the boy or girl will be made Duke / Duchess of Västerbotten to honour the former "Haga couple", the parents of the King who was Duke and Duchess of Västerbotten.

I like most of your choices for a boy (except one). :flowers: Anders and Niillas are interesting, but Edmund remains my favorite and personal choice. ;) We'll see.

If a boy......

I rather like the idea of giving Victoria and Daniel's baby a Sami name - ever since I was younger, I've been interested in the Samis. Máret is beautiful and is also a form of Margareta (as I wanted to learn more about Máret I did a Google search on it) which has been used in the SRF.

I don't know, something about giving the baby a Sami name doesn't sit that right with me. It seems more for show, then any real connection to the people. Like Mary and Fred giving the twins Greelandic names, even though neither of their older kids had any traditional names. For me it would be like William and Kate naming their kid some ancient Celtic name, or deciding to honor the commonwealth with an African or native American name.

When it comes to royal names, I guess I am a fan of them honoring tradition. And if not, then honoring their family and loved ones, like Estelle did. Now if there is a Sami name that the y have some special connection to or love for, great, but to choose a sami name just for the sake of choosing one, I don't like.

I don't know, something about giving the baby a Sami name doesn't sit that right with me. It seems more for show, then any real connection to the people. Like Mary and Fred giving the twins Greelandic names, even though neither of their older kids had any traditional names. For me it would be like William and Kate naming their kid some ancient Celtic name, or deciding to honor the commonwealth with an African or native American name.

When it comes to royal names, I guess I am a fan of them honoring tradition. And if not, then honoring their family and loved ones, like Estelle did. Now if there is a Sami name that the y have some special connection to or love for, great, but to choose a sami name just for the sake of choosing one, I don't like.

As mentioned in my previous post, Máret is a Sami variation of Margareta, which could honour three relatives: Princess Margaret of Connaught, Princess Margaretha of Sweden and King Carl Gustaf's sister Princess Margaretha (though I don't know how close the CP family are to Princess Margaretha). Therefore it could be argued (not that I think you were arguing by the way, I just couldn't find a more appropriate phrase) that Máret is honouring family - and the Sami people at the same time - which I think is nice.

I understand and respect your point of view however.

I guess we all have different opinions about royal family giving their children names to honouring minority population. To be honest i didn't thougt about it at all until Frederik and Mary gave their twins greenlandic names. I liked that idea.
If Victoria and Daniel will give their 2:nd child a sami name i see it as a nice way to honour the largest minority in Sweden, Norway and Finland.

Thinking about Estelle, i have a strong feeling that they may use Folke as one of the names this time if it is a boy, maybe not as first name but as one of the others. That would honour both the most famous member of the Bernadotte family ever apart from the monarch's, Estelle's husband Folke Bernadotte as well as our current King Carl XVI Gustaf Folke Hubertus.

Among the godparents i really don't think Victoria will skip Frederik and Mette-Marit just because she has already used Mary and Haakon. They are all very close personal friends to her and Daniel and i simply can't imagine they not having priority over other royals they have less contact with.

Last edited:

Off topic, but I dont think Frederik and Mary giving the twins Greenlandic names was for show. Frederik especially has a really strong connection with Greenland, and this was well received by the people of Greenland.
So much that during their 2014 visit, the Greenlandic names, Minik and Ivalo, were used for Vincent and Josephine. Frederik mentioned that this was not unusual as the twins are use to them and there "was a reason they received the names".
with Christian and Isabella, I think they focused on honoring the grandparents
I thought it was a beautiful gesture :flowers:
for Frederik there is a special connection with the people of Greenland
and I think a Minik and Ivalo foundation was established

In Victoria and Daniel's case, I think I will be surprised. : D

Last edited:
I think a girl, born on 14th February.

Princess Lovisa Madeleine Anna Caroline, Duchess of Dalsland

Godparents: Madeleine, Chris, Haakon, Caroline Kreuger, a friend/cousin of Daniel.

If a boy:

Prince Folke Olle Edmund Haakon

Last edited:
For a Prince: Magnus, Johan
For a Princess: Richeza, Dorothea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom