Princess Victoria & Prince Daniel's Official Visit to France: September 26-29, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Daniel's smile doesn't seem to have changed from years past to now, so why comment and hope that it will at some point, <miraculously> change?

Honestly, he doesn't seem uncomfortable to me...he looks like himself. He seems to smile at the appropriate moments and to be listening intently to what is being said or what is going on around him. Nothing wrong with that. He appears to be a very contemplative and thoughtful person if you ask me. Now, that may not be true, but from appearances, that is what I gather.

The princess was super in France and also very in love!!

He's still in the learning process as he didn't grow up royal. I would imagine he probably is concerned about doing and saying the right things as this is new to him. I get the impression that he's not 100% comfortable yet in his role. In time, he will be.

How long did it take for queen Silvia to speak during an official visit or for the court to allow her to do solomissions? I mean, this is Daniels first official visit to another country and i guess his orders from hq was: "Your mission is the following: Support the princess, observe, learn and smile. Faliure is not an option. Good luck and be careful out there."

I should stop watching adventure/actionmovies:whistling:

The husbands of crown princesses / queens are promoted in a very different way from the wives of crown princes. Prince Philip and the late Prince Claus were never celebrities in their own right. The kept(and P Philip still do) a very low profile during any joint events. There is never any doubt about who the regent or next regent is. If one did not know who the next regent in Denmark or Netherland is, one would probably presume it is their wifes as they have a much more public agenda than their crown princesses. I do not believe Prince Daniel will do a GQ spread or wear runway outfits. We will see him supporting Victoria without being the main attraction.

There is a difference between keeping a low profile and lacking profile.
To be fair, Daniel is still at the beginning but both Claus and especially Philip are / were masters at being charismatic, adding own personality and keep a low profile at the same time. For the future it wont be enough to put on the same face all the time with a masking smile. I hope that Daniel is given the space to show character or has the potential to be somebody and not a faceless shadow man.

I met Princess Phillip with the Queen in 1962 and I can safely say that Phillip is very sure of himself, very natural and would not hesitate to give a woman a complement on the broach she is wearing. Like Queen Beatrix, Margarethe and Queen Willimania husbands those men were valiant. served in World Wars and as ambassidors. I see Prince Daniel being a man like Queen Victoria's Prince Albert creative and a builder with other qualities.

Although decorum still rules the system. One can see that Daniel is from good breeding. The society of stiff upper lip has faded. The Queen of England an almost Victorian lady with trimmings of Victorian and Edwardian etiquette has accomidated Princess Diana's generation with their informality.

While Prince Daniel is learning the:bang: ropes of Royal duties there is no need for him to become too stiff after all his generation can careless for overpowering protocal. He has come a long way including kidney replacement hence marrying to a future qeen of Sweden his native country. Daniel Please:) smile from the heart :previous:"Life is a bandquet":previous: while visiting France in one of the pictures I saw a man emerged from the crowd and shook Daniel's hand. How natural!.

Continued.
:flowers:Queen Victoria's husband though from the royal family of Germany and related to the Queen was a foreigner and experienced difficulties and had to contend with obstacles after his marriage to Queen Victoria.
In the end he had conquered. He was not only a good consort but had done great things for England and was a part of the Governing Body of Old England.

Prince Daniel there is:) reason to smile from the heart. You are a son of Sweden and the man who emerged from the crowd in France to shake your hand is from your generation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the above three posters. :previous:

All Queen Consorts were officially in the second row SUPPORTING their wives. But all of them are men with character, whereas they dealt differently with their "no 2 only position" -- and this was not always without problems.

Prince Claus, who seemed to be the most "balanced" of the Prince consorts, had to fight hard in the beginning to get the trust of the people and they finally loved him.... nevertheless he became depressive (not knowing how much influence his role had, but it is a fact).

Prince Philipp has his own personality, but is also used to disgrace himself (or his environment) with ultra-black humor (maybe the famous English Humor, which the rest of the world does not understand???). A sign of getting attention as well?

Prince Henrick of Denmark (he´s been forgotten by the other posters) -- well, his is a proud French and history showed, that he questioned, why he is not titled "King", as well as he was jealous on his son Frederick, that he has a higher rank as Crown Prince than him. So yes, he´s also a personality but he´s struggling a lot with his (lower) position.

My impression of the new Prince Daniel is, that he is self-confident and balanced enough to cope with his new role. Also he seems to be more introverted (in the best sense), so I do not have the impression that he needs to proof himself..... And I am sure, that he will find his way.
I am looking forward to follow his first steps and I wish him the very best!

BYe Bine

You can´t compare IMO Daniel with Henrik, Phillip or Claus: Daniel is the first husband of an heir to the throne in younger history who is originally a commoner. And he and Victoria needed a relatively long time to become accepted before they were allowed to marry. Plus Daniel got not a tiny bit of that upbringing and education Henrik, Phillip and Claus had. So that might still make him feel insecure in a way. I IMO notice that all that holding hands and body language still comes most of the time from Victoria. I wish he would take her hand sometime and not always the other way round. But as I said it might come from his situation and the fact that he still has to get used to his new life. What I feel a little afraid is that he might not be THAT interested in all the things he has to learn but tries as hard as he can to support Victoria and I´m sure he knows now long enough the approach that came up and I´m sure he will handle it. I IMO see him as some kind of a female housewife once the first child is born. He IMO doesn´t need to accompany her ALL the time. I think if he does it now and then it´s enough IMO.

You make some good points Stephanie.
- he doesn't have the history or protocol background of a diplomat, noble man or born prince. So his learning curve will be longer. That said he is not stupid; he can learn and he has had time to understand what is required.

- Daniel as a "househusband"? Possibly: especially if/when CP Victoria has more and more respnsibilities; I can see him being the one to drive kids to school ,ride bicycles, go to hockey games etc. I can also see him taking a role as patron of some charity [kidney association is an obvious choice; I am sure they have one in Sweden] or public/sporting event [a charity golf tournament etc]

- PDAs [public displays of affection] you're right. She is the one to initiate them- I noticed that too. Not unusual IMO, women are more into PDAs than men. In addition don't forget for the better part of the last 9 years they were advised to or they chose to hide such feelings in public. They did not want to hold hands and be front page news... During their courtship only 2 or 3 (stolen) pictures of a kiss surfaced-if that.

Comparison

You can´t compare IMO Daniel with Henrik, Phillip or Claus: Daniel is the first husband of an heir to the throne in younger history who is originally a commoner. And he and Victoria needed a relatively long time to become accepted before they were allowed to marry. Plus Daniel got not a tiny bit of that upbringing and education Henrik, Phillip and Claus had. So that might still make him feel insecure in a way. I IMO notice that all that holding hands and body language still comes most of the time from Victoria. I wish he would take her hand sometime and not always the other way round. But as I said it might come from his situation and the fact that he still has to get used to his new life. What I feel a little afraid is that he might not be THAT interested in all the things he has to learn but tries as hard as he can to support Victoria and I´m sure he knows now long enough the approach that came up and I´m sure he will handle it. I IMO see him as some kind of a female housewife once the first child is born. He IMO doesn´t need to accompany her ALL the time. I think if he does it now and then it´s enough IMO.

Do you have to compare with someone, it would probably be most equitable to look towards those who have married heir to the throne of Denmark, Norway, Spain and others...:whistling:

I believe that Prince Daniel is playing it safe -- it would seem that he would rather err on the side of being more circumspect than come across as being too assertive and eager. I believe that this is the better approach at the start until he gets a better feel at striking an ideal balance.

I have seen videos of him like in this long edition version during his wedding reception after the cake cutting and before the first dance when he went around the entire jam packed ballroom greeting the guests including a lot of royalty. I could not help but notice how warm and natural he was with everyone -- kissing, embracing, hugging, having a good laugh. He just seemed so at ease. AND, all the guests also reacted to him in an equally warm, almost effusive fashion. In short, he came across as if he belonged and that he was accepted.

So this must be the real Daniel and I have a feeling that more and more of the "real " him will eventually come out as he tests the boundaries of his public behavior and arrives at a balance that is both true to what he really is and to his role as Prince.

Prince Daniel an interesting character of this centry

:ermm:Princess Madeleine's former fiance Jonas Bergstrom whom I thought would have been a :ohmy:valuable asset to Sweden being a lawyer and well educated, was not clever enough to succeed for the :sad:title of royal prince and an asset to the Swedish crown. " The race is not for the swift but those who endured to the end". I have not read where Daniel's name was linked to a woman nor any scandal around him. Having waited for nine years to marry Victoria he will succeed in accomplishing unforseen achievements and in due course might become an very interesting character of this century.

Svensk Damtidning told that Victoria and Daniel had especially hoped to visit the exhibition of Claude Monet while visiting Paris. They visited the exhibition on their last day in France, just before they left back to Sweden.

Great video

I don't understand swedish but I was happy to see this great recap video of their visit to France! The new Prince Daniel still looked a little novice. How time flies. Thank You Lady Finn for posting!

Back
Top Bottom