Princess Estelle and Prince Oscar News Part 1: June 2016 - December 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
my thoughts too. ;)

don't CP and sofia live in djurgården? maybe they also plan to send alexander there? (i was thinking maybe they can pick estelle up from school if needed, like most parents would think if they are running late out of work - but then forgot that victoria and daniel probably have an army of nannies to pick the kids up in the case of any eventualities :p)

In Hänt's article about Estelle changing preschool
"We have some theories why they chose to take her away from Äventyret, but keep it to ourselves when it just comes to children".

Carl Philip and Sofia live in Drottningholm now. But they are planning to move to Carl Philip's house Villa Solbacken in Djurgården, when the renovation is finished, it should happen next spring.

School attendance is compulsory for all children resident in Sweden. Children are required to attend school from the autumn term in the year they reach the age of 7, and the main rule is that compulsory school attendance ceases at the end of the spring term in the 9th year (10th year in the special school).
In Sweden most children begin their first year at school in the autumn term when they reach the age of 7. It is also possible that children start when they reach the age of 6 and in special cases 8. Education should be equivalent irrespective of where pupils attend school.
Compulsory school

Oscar (and Alexander) will probably go to preschool at the same age as Estelle, that would be in the autumn 2018. Estelle will most likely then go to preschool class. From the age of 6 children have the right to start in the preschool class. The preschool class is a school form in its own right with a large element of creative work and play. The preschool class is a voluntary school form, which the majority of six-year-olds in Sweden attend. The municipalities are obliged to offer and arrange the preschool class.
What is a preschool class

Victoria and Daniel have two nannies and so far the swedish press hasn't told that they would have hired more. The press has told that Victoria or Daniel often pick Estelle from preschool themselves.

Last edited:
Thank you LadyFinn. Sweden seems to start school later than say the USA and UK.

I was actually surprised to learn from LadyFinn that compulsory school in Sweden starts only at age 7. In most developed countries (and even in developing countries like Brazil or South Africa), compulsory school now starts at age 6. Furthermore, some countries (or some states/provinces in federal systems) now require compulsory school attendance until age 17 or 18. Sweden seems to be behind the curve (or not keeping up with recent trends).

Last edited:
It's 5 in the Netherlands, but all children start at 4.
7, that is quite late. Will they have started with the letters and numbers in pre-school?

Here in England, it can be three or five depending on which school the child goes to - sometimes, it can even be 2.5. I think you can also start school at 4. 7 does seem old to me, though I read once that Finland has one of the best standards of education in Europe because of its late starting age, as children who start school at a later age have better learning standards than those who start earlier; in most cases. It's interesting that Estelle has switched from a Montessori school.

The autumnal photo of Oscar is also adorable, he's super cute and I love the little dimples on his hands.

Although I don't want to read too much into it, I have to say that I was quite suprised by this school change. Perhaps, with the arrival of Oscar, this schools is a bit more convenient and closer to Haga.

Last edited:
Fredric Ericsson, who works as a ski instructor in Trysil ski destination in Norway, told to Radio P4 Jönköping, that he is Estelle's ski instructor.
Fredric tells to the Radio that this winter will be the third year he teaches Estelle. Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel have some time of their own when he is out with Estelle.
On his Facebook page, he has posted (in December 2015) a photo of Estelle, with Victoria and Daniel: "Princess Estelle's first ski instructor. An amazing experience for me!", he writes.
When Fredric met Estelle for the first time, he had not received any info about who she was.
- I got a note where was written that the child was three years old. Then the manager said that it is Princess Estelle! Then came a small 2.5-year-old who curtsied and shook hands and Victoria asked "Have you done this before?" But it went well and they booked me again.
Han är Estelles nye lärare _ Svensk Damtidning

Prins Oscar 8 months today, gallery of his life from Svensk Damtidning
Grattis prins Oscar 8 månader! _ Annas kungliga barnblogg

Last edited:
Lovely photo of Oscar. HQ version
http://www.kungahuset.se/images/200...ktober_2016_Foto_Kate_Gabor_Kungahuset.se.jpg

Här är prins Oscars hösthälsning i löven _ Kungligt _ Expressen
Här höstmyser prins Oscar på Haga _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet

According to Expressen, Estelle's nanny Katie Millington has resigned from her work and is moving back home to Australia. She has worked for Victoria and Daniel since autumn 2013. Margareta Thorgren says that she won't comment the employment of nannies due to security reasons but there is natural change in staff at the court like in any other workplace.
Estelles barnflicka Katie Millington har sagt upp sig | Kungligt | Expressen

Last edited:
I was actually surprised to learn from LadyFinn that compulsory school in Sweden starts only at age 7. In most developed countries (and even in developing countries like Brazil or South Africa), compulsory school now starts at age 6. Furthermore, some countries (or some states/provinces in federal systems) now require compulsory school attendance until age 17 or 18. Sweden seems to be behind the curve (or not keeping up with recent trends).
While they may start school later (here it is either 4 or 5 depending on the school), it seems that the children are actually well "schooled" before they get there.

Reading LadyFinn's link to the Swedish Education System, I can only say that it is quite a formidable undertaking. From as young as one, they are in "Preschool" which has a curriculum and at six they attend a year of "Preschool Class" which is quite separate and seems to be a bridge to enable the children to become used to more formal education and enable them to integrate into the more structured Compulsory School.

So, I think they actually have a pretty good head start rather than a late one.

Someone should start a storybook series based on the Swedish Royal children.
They are straight out of a fairy tale.

Same for George and Charlotte of Britain and the Monaco Princely twins....they are almost too perfect and adorable!:p

Such ab adorable new photo :flowers:

Feel sad for Estelle. Be hard to see her nanny of three years go. I know she has another, but at that age it will be a hard goodbye. Probably, as much as she wants to go home, as hard on Katie too. :sad:

Svensk Damtidning writes that Victoria and Daniel have a "secret" deal about how their daughter is brought up. Daniel's mission is to teach Estelle how the normal world outside the palace works. And Victoria will guide Estelle to her role as a royal. That Daniel and Victoria have a very fine chemistry and are very coherent can all who have met them endorse, but there is also the clash of civilisations, which is the result of their quite different upbringing.
"A person with good insight" says to Svensk Damtidning that Daniel really wants that Estelle gets as normal upbringing as possible. But sometime Victoria thinks that he goes too far with it. Victoria was not so happy when Daniel took Estelle to metro in rush hour. She is worried that something might happen even though SÄPO (Swedish Security Service) was with them. Going with metro was surely exciting for Estelle, she is normally driven at big cars with tinted windows. And she found out what the other children at her preschool speak when they tell about the metro.
Shopping is another thing Daniel wants to teach to his daughter. Estelle has been at ICA Borgholm and Coop in Ockelbo with her parents, when they want to shop themselves. But the highlight was when she in the spring paid with her own money at Kronan Pharmacy in Stockholm. An eyewitness told to Svensk Damtidning that she looked so proud and happy. Victoria wants also that Estelle learns all this but the difference is that Victoria often does things before the place is opened or after it has been closed, like she took Estelle to Skansen early in the morning last year. Daniel doesn't mind that there is a lot of people around. When they went to the Pharmacy, it was around five o'clock in a Friday afternoon and the place was filled with people who came from their work.
Conflict or not. That Daniel takes Estelle to ice hockey match, drives her to dance training, hangs with her at Room for Children at Kulturhuset and takes her on the pizzeria and to Junibacken makes Estelle to a small princess who is aware of things. She stands with one foot in each world and it will also be her strength as a queen.

Last edited:
That is a good way to bring up their children.

:previous: I agree, I think it's good that both Victoria and Daniel balance out Estelle's royal and everyday life. The anecdote about her at the pharmacy was so sweet.

I think that it is great that they are raising her wth a real balance of not sly and royal life. Not simply breaking protocol with a rare trip to Disney or burgers. It will be even more i ports to fir Oscar who will have less royal duties than his sister. Be easier for him to picture a career and at least semi private life:flowers:

While they may start school later (here it is either 4 or 5 depending on the school), it seems that the children are actually well "schooled" before they get there.

Reading LadyFinn's link to the Swedish Education System, I can only say that it is quite a formidable undertaking. From as young as one, they are in "Preschool" which has a curriculum and at six they attend a year of "Preschool Class" which is quite separate and seems to be a bridge to enable the children to become used to more formal education and enable them to integrate into the more structured Compulsory School.

So, I think they actually have a pretty good head start rather than a late one.

Both the USA and Sweden are below the world average in student performance on the 2012 PISA testing. You can see the rankings at:
http://www.oecd.org/pisa/keyfindings/PISA-2012-results-snapshot-Volume-I-ENG.pdf

I am a bit baffled at the palce's silence over Estelle'schange of school. I mean, when she set out for preschool for the first time, they released a press realese and invited the press, so I don't see much coherence with the court not even annoucing thatn she had changed school.

Expressen quotes Svensk Damtidning's this week's paper issue

Estelle's new love - pony Viktor, 18
Princess Estelle has got a new horse. She has previously had Shetland pony Frozza, which was given to Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel as a wedding present.
But now a white welsh pony, named Viktor has taken place at Estelle's heart, Svensk Damtidning reported as first at their paper issue.
- Estelle is here regularly and takes care of the horse. She does like one does with horses, grooming, brushing, taking care for them - and talk to them! She rides too, says Crown Equerry and Head of the Royal Stables, Ulf Gunnehed to Expressen.
Is Estelle good with horses?
- She is very good and she thinks it's great fun.
The pony is 18 years old. Gunnehed says that a higher age is generally good when it comes to horses intended for children.
- You want a good, stable, friendly horse. With age they of course become a little calmer and more stable.
According to Gunnehed Estelle doesn't ride outdoors with Viktor yet, it is the indoor arena at the Royal Stables in use so far. But in the summer the pony can go along to Öland.
- So far we don't dare to ride outdoors with her, Gunnehed said to Svensk Damtidning.
Estelles nya kärlek –*ponnyn Viktor, 18 _ Kungligt _ Expressen

And now Svensk Damtidning has put the article to their website, with photos of Viktor (and Estelle at a photo montage).
One staff member of the Royal Stables tells that pony Frozza, which Victoria and Daniel got as a wedding present, wasn't kind and it has been sold now. Ulf Gunnehed confirms that Frozza is sold and says that Frozza is well taken care of and feels great elsewhere, and that Estelle loves her new pony. The new pony Viktor was bought in the spring. Victoria works nowadays often at the court office at the Royal Stables.
Estelle har fått en ny häst! _ Annas kungliga barnblogg

Last edited:
Prince Oscar's first Name Day today is celebrated:
From morning to evening the Royal Armoury is filled with lots of activities for both young and old who want to help and make the Name Day to an extra memorable day.
In the afternoon, tea and Oscar Cake are served with music at the Stone Hall at the Royal Palace. The cake is a modern version of the classic Oscar Cake produced by confectioners Oscar Malevik and Johanna Stenholm from Haga Tårtcompani och Bageri.
- Prince Oscar is the Duke of Skåne and Skåne has a lot of lovely artisan food and great ingredients. The traditional "Oscar Cake" is classic but not very modern. Therefore, we did a little more modern and Skåne variant of it, says Oscar Malevik.
Ny namnsdagstårta till prins Oscar _ Åsas kungliga Europa

The Royal Armoury tells about their activities on Oscar's Name Day:
At 11.15, 12, 13, 14, 15
Free viewing for the whole family in the footsteps of princes and princesses at the Royal Armoury.
At 15.00
Welcome to the afternoon concert dedicated to all Oscar-princes then and now in the Stone Hall's tearoom! Prince Oscar Cake Special is served there. "Princess Eugenie" and "Crown Princess Lovisa", aka Karin Hellman Geworkian and Marianne Jacobs play piano duets. We hear compositions from the 1800s royal court as well as newly written. Moderator Gösta Sandell.
at 17.30
Superintendent Sofia Nestor tells of the Royal Name Days, birthdays and other celebrations around the 1800s Oscar-princes and other royals.
Fira Oscars namnsdag _ Livrustkammaren

ROYAL: Süßes Törtchen für Prinz Oscars Namenstag

Last edited:
That's indeed a good photo, made all the more special by that solemn caption! Thanks, LadyFinn...

cute photo! look at those 3 cherubs. cuteness! all we need is to add oscar and alexander in the team and i would be complete with cuteness overload. [i hope madeleine takes a pic of the 5 cousins soon!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom