Prince Daniel's Gym and Pre-Wedding Career

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well his business seems to be running. And why not near to each other. He has to get from one to the other... Well at least the people loose their money there :). Seems as Vicky is a good investment ;) or maybe the best :). Maybe she is a secret shareholder? Would be cool if a Daniel N. would investigate that....:cool:

Last edited:
mixer2002de said:
Well his business seems to be running. And why not near to each other. He has to get from one to the other... Well at least the people loose their money there :). Seems as Vicky is a good investment ;) or maybe the best :). Maybe she is a secret shareholder? Would be cool if a Daniel N. would investigate that....:cool:
:D Yes, so it seems...what a difference a crown princess as VIC (very important customer) can make. He should change the name to "Victoria investment AB"...in a way it really wouldn´t surprise me, when she has invested in the gyms. Or when a family friend familiar with business would have made some kind of "deal" with Westling and the Royal family. Then again Sweden is so "glassy", that even a bum like Nyhlén and the other reporters should find out that.

i am still wondering if daniel can have a business as a prince consort

Well I would say this won't be accepted. It would be something different if he would be employed by the state. Sports teacher at a school or something like that...

I dont think a prince, or any royal for that matter, can have a profit gaining buissness like a gym. But wait a minute, what about Solliden?! The king must earn much money from that?!
anyway: perhaps Daniel could be something of a patron for the sport or something like that

Yennie said:
anyway: perhaps Daniel could be something of a patron for the sport or something like that
...and would get VIP tickets for big sport events. I bet until the world championships 2006 in Soccer in Germany, he´s engaged and enjoys his front row seat...it isn´t very easy to get tickets...esp. not for the "good games" :p

Well, I would say Daniel could only stay investor and part owner for a short time...the king owns a big "package" of shares, but this is something different...and I would say to sell things at Solliden is also an other thing. IMO it´s different, because there is as much as I know actually no real law, that the king isn´t allowed to have his own business...but the "understanding" of the Royal house is to be independent...and the ppl (and the press) want it to see like this. So the Royal family could go on to have the gyms, but one can hardly say, that this is an independent business...it´s also not very Royal.
So when the king (let) sells his Royal stuff at Solliden then this is at least Royal...and when he holds shares, then this is a form of saving and increasing money (many hold shares instead of savings at the bank). It´s all about image...

I´ve now found out, that this pic was made of Master Training for Dagens Industri, which has written an article about Master Training. Multiple checks have shown, that DI usually doesn´t write about gyms. Even not about big chains like S.A.T.S or e2, which have many more gyms and customers than Master Training :rolleyes: I must say personally I wouldn´t have agreed on such an interview and article. For me everyone must be able to read between the lines and to read out, that he is just interviewed because of his relationship to the crown princess. Here it also doesn´t help, that he is calling himself "VD" (MD in english)...for me it will stay a fact, that he mainly works out with ppl and that he has gotten financial support through 2 ways: 1. dating the crown princess and getting more customers (that his customers are mainly upper class ppl doesn´t convince me...IMO often upper class ppl are even worse, in their efforts to mingle with celebs) 2. getting better conditions (support of ppl in the financial world etc.) I will never believe, that Daniel would be there, where he is today, when Madeleine wouldn´t have chosen Master Training as gym to get rid of her puppy fat.
Hm, I start to sound like the ppl, bashing Mary on Royal blue :rolleyes: :D
I´ve now also found the article from DI online. It doesn´t tell much more than the article in Expressen, I´ve written about.
The only unusual thing is, that Daniel owns 70% of Master Training, while two guys called Patric Vrbanc and Lars Hellström own 2x15% It seems Benny is out of the business (??) Wasn´t he the one, who has invested as older one more in the beginning? Must be a strange feeling, when the junior partner is catching up within 2 years.

mtdan1xs.jpg

Article from DI:
Westling vill bli gymkung

Anna Bell Dahlberg annabell.dahlberg@di.se 08-736 58 66

Daniel Westling, VD och huvudägare i friskvårds- och träningsföretaget Master Training, stärker styrelsen och planerar för expansion.
"Friskvårdsbranschen ligger lite efter i Sverige jämfört med i många andra länder.
Vi vill nå en större målgrupp", säger Daniel Westling, som äger 70 procent av Master Training.
Övriga delägare är Patric Vrbanc och Lars Hellström med 15 procent var.
I styrelsen tar nu Gunnel Edenius, it-chef på Länsförsäkringar, och Johan Ericsson, VD för Catella Property, plats.
Utökade i våras Daniel Westling har varit egen förtagare i fem år. Men i branschen har han varit sedan i mitten på 1990-talet.
Master Training omsatte i fjol 9 miljoner kronor och i våras utökades verksamheten med ytterligare en lokal.
"Vi investerade pengarna där, och nu ser det bra ut. Det går med plus varje månad på båda ställena", säger Daniel Westling.
Tolv heltidsanställda och ett antal konsulter tar hand om de hälsomedvetna och träningslystna kunderna.
"Vi vill bredda målgruppen och det finns flera planer för framtiden, men inget är ännu beslutat", säger Daniel Westlund.
"Jag brinner för det" Han är en äkta entreprenör och att ta steget till att öppna eget var inte svårt.
"Jag brinner för det jag gör, jag vill fatta beslut och genomföra dem. Att ta tag i saker och få dem gjorda, det är min drivkraft", säger han.
På den ofrånkomliga frågan på vilket sätt hans relation till kronprinsessan Victoria påverkat hans företag, svarar han kort: "Vi pratar aldrig om våra kunder."

Just the title of the article tell why they have chose to interview him. "Westling wants to be Fitness King" :rolleyes: Its not like DI, serious paper nothing like Expressen and Aftonbladet, runs around interviewing every gym owner in the country. I wonder why he did the interview, surly he dont need the publicity as everyone that is rich enough to train there already knows about his gym by now. Mayvbe he wanted to get a serious message across...

And on a superficial point; the picture does not look very good, it looks like the woman (who is she:confused: ) is buttoning her jacket whilst the photo was taken, and Daniel looks like he is playing dress up and has borrowed Victorias glasses... and I accually dont mean it in a very mean way, but every picture we have seen of Daniel indicates he is not a suit and tie kind of man (Well to be fair M-M, Maxima and Mary was not presisly pradasuits, galadress and tiara kind of women before either, I guess one adapts:rolleyes: )the whole picture just looks overstaged, its a gym not a wallstreet.

Larzen said:
Just the title of the article tell why they have chose to interview him. "Westling wants to be Fitness King" :rolleyes: Its not like DI, serious paper nothing like Expressen and Aftonbladet, runs around interviewing every gym owner in the country. I wonder why he did the interview, surly he dont need the publicity as everyone that is rich enough to train there already knows about his gym by now. Mayvbe he wanted to get a serious message across...

And on a superficial point; the picture does not look very good, it looks like the woman (who is she:confused: ) is buttoning her jacket whilst the photo was taken, and Daniel looks like he is playing dress up and has borrowed Victorias glasses... and I accually dont mean it in a very mean way, but every picture we have seen of Daniel indicates he is not a suit and tie kind of man (Well to be fair M-M, Maxima and Mary was not presisly pradasuits, galadress and tiara kind of women before either, I guess one adapts:rolleyes: )the whole picture just looks overstaged, its a gym not a wallstreet.

Oh Larzen...I could cuddle you for this post...I agree so much (I only haven´t noticed that the lady-she must be the in the article mentioned Gunnel Edenius -seems to close her buttons...but even here I´m agreeing ;) )
What would the serious message be? That he´s a business man? IMO the harder he tries, the more ridiculous it seems. He can only lose in that game (for the case he wants to become a prince, for the case not, he has an filled bank account). When he started with the gym and when Madeleine (and later Victoria) joined it, Daniel wasn´t directly on the "mount olympus" of Swedish gym owners. So all efforts he does now to convince us, that he´s a business man, let us think of his connection to Victoria. When he would try to seem more like a modest trainer, ppl would say, that he´s *just* a trainer.
So IMO the best would be to come to an end. To marry her. And then ppl at the court could really work with his reputation and could use this magic wand, that the neighbours in Norway have used for Mette Marit (hopefully this wand is able to spirit these nerdy black glasses away :rolleyes: )

Last edited:
Larzen said:

I think it sounds funny that he wants to be a fitness king. Almost as funny as the photo which you are referring to (http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/9508/mtdan1xs.jpg) :p (I'm so mean) Those glasses are not at all flattering. You're right; they probably are Victoria's. She gets them for big events and he borrows them every second weekend. ;)

Last edited:
Danielle said:
I think it sounds funny that he want to be a fitness king. Almost as funny as the photo which you are referring to (http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/9508/mtdan1xs.jpg) :p (I'm so mean) Those glasses are not at all flattering. You're right; they probably are Victoria's. She gets them for big events and he borrows them every second weekend. ;)

:D :D :D But must it be then not real love...can a couple get any closer than through sharing glasses (hm, at once I´ve to think of D&V Beckham, who also shared underwear :p )?!
Well, I think they have both their own pair of glasses (maybe made out of the same plastic). And maybe one of our many Americans on the board could spot now a couple with Osbourne-like glasses , walking hand in hand, when they would look out of the window

Lena said:
:D :D :D But must it be then not real love...can a couple get any closer than through sharing glasses (hm, at once I´ve to think of D&V Beckham, who also shared underwear :p )?!
Well, I think they have both their own pair of glasses (maybe made out of the same plastic). And maybe one of our many Americans on the board could spot now a couple with Osbourne-like glasses , walking hand in hand, when they would look out of the window
Sharing underwear? Eww! I wouldn't ever do that. It's like on Jay Leno once. He had these cuttings from magazines and one showed two toilets in the same household bathroom. What the? That was a little off topic. It was pretty funny though. I hope they have a different pair. They are unlikely to have the same eye 'defect'. What about these glasses? I think it would be worse if they wore those. :p

Daniel having tax problems

Today I couldn´t sleep anymore since 4am...and while eating breakfast, I came across a headline on Daniel...and that at 7:30 am...so it must be big news. Well, maybe they are exaggerating. It´s hard to say, because I´ve no clue of taxes. Taxes is the keyword. It seems Danne is a tax dodger. Daniel and his partner Benny should have set off private spendings against tax liability. E.g. when Daniel moved to Östermalm, he has used Master Training to pay a bill of 6480 SEK. His explanation is, that he had much to do for Master Training in this time, and would have lost time (which let me guess, that the 6480 SEK were for a company, which works with removal)
Benny travelled with his girlfriend to Mallorca and has accounted this as business tour. Further a new years party was accounted via Master Training.
And Daniel and Benny have made presents to customers (fashion from exclusive labels, equipment for golf and skiing)
Daniel has emailed Expressen and has said, that it´s not unusal, that businesses and tax authorities argue differently. He also said, that he won´t file a protest to the tax authorities.
As I get it Daniel has to pay in the future 90000 SEK more of taxes and penalty.
http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=311183

http://www.expressen.se/expressen/jsp/polopoly.jsp?a=311185

Lena´s snappish comment of the day: Here one has thought to get through with everything. And as soon as the "goldmine" Master Training is threatened, "one" talks to the "enemy" Expressen :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ooh, this is big news. Tax evasion is a big issue and Daniel and his partner Benny are bad people. :) Well, I am confused with tax issues so maybe I'm interpreting this the wrong way. Don't they have accountants to do this sort of thing correctly? It seems as if lots of criminals travel down to Mallorca (Mr. Skase was one such figure - is Majorca the same place just with a slightly different name?). Anyway, writing off an obvious holiday in the sun is wrong. This isn't going to be good news for Daniel.

Danielle said:
Ooh, this is big news. Tax evasion is a big issue and Daniel and his partner Benny are bad people. :) Well, I am confused with tax issues so maybe I'm interpreting this the wrong way. Don't they have accountants to do this sort of thing correctly? It seems as if lots of criminals travel down to Mallorca (Mr. Skase was one such figure - is Majorca the same place just with a slightly different name?). Anyway, writing off an obvious holiday in the sun is wrong. This isn't going to be good news for Daniel.

Yes, Mallorca=Majorca. Sorry, I should use the international english term. Even though I´m for using the original terms...but this doesn´t help much, when others don´t understand them.
They surely have accountants, but one should mean, they talk with them about such things and should be at least smart enough to look a bit through the system. I guess the accountants have talked to them and have said, that they could get through with it. And I guess then greediness won over reason. This wouldn´t be a problem for the gym businesses, which don´t manage it to get a positive report in Dagens Industri :rolleyes: , but a guy like Daniel should try to avoid all possible traps...otherwise he can be sure to be bashed in the media...especially in glassy Sweden, which is neither like Monaco nor like the Cayman islands.
For me this is again a sign, that he hasn´t understood completely, what it means to be a prince. Ok the king also had troubles with traffic laws...but this is IMO a bit stronger AND additionally Daniel also had problems with traffic laws. Further the king doesn´t need to fight for acceptance...

Lena said:
Yes, Mallorca=Majorca. Sorry, I should use the international english term. Even though I´m for using the original terms...but this doesn´t help much, when others don´t understand them.
They surely have accountants, but one should mean, they talk with them about such things and should be at least smart enough to look a bit through the system. I guess the accountants have talked to them and have said, that they could get through with it. And I guess then greediness won over reason. This wouldn´t be a problem for the gym businesses, which don´t manage it to get a positive report in Dagens Industri :rolleyes: , but a guy like Daniel should try to avoid all possible traps...otherwise he can be sure to be bashed in the media...especially in glassy Sweden, which is neither like Monaco nor like the Cayman islands.
For me this is again a sign, that he hasn´t understood completely, what it means to be a prince. Ok the king also had troubles with traffic laws...but this is IMO a bit stronger AND additionally Daniel also had problems with traffic laws. Further the king doesn´t need to fight for acceptance...
Oh sorry. :( I just wanted to make sure it was the same place because it would be a little embarrassing if I talk about somewhere completely different. Greediness usually wins over reason; it's human nature to want more than you have. Yes, Daniel should have thought about such things. Well, maybe he won't have to worry about giving up his job if he marries Victoria; firstly he won't have a job and secondly he won't have Victoria because he will be in jail. You are right. He's not ready for the responsibility of being a Prince and these crimes are very serious. If he married her and continued on this path, then maybe he would start ripping-off the government.:rolleyes:

Ok the king also had troubles with traffic laws...but this is IMO a bit stronger AND additionally Daniel also had problems with traffic laws. Further the king doesn´t need to fight for acceptance...

I cant comment since I dont know enough about taxes, only that it is stupid to think that he can get away with it, and it seems the only times he comes out of his mussel is to promote or defend his golden cow.

Still I think breaking traffic laws is way worse, and its not like the King just parked on the wrong spot, King or personal trainer (sorry VD:rolleyes: ), you put other peoples life in danger, wich you dont do with tax questions, but it does but some questions on your judgemnet and moral (or the moral of you accountant)

Danielle said:
Oh sorry. :( I just wanted to make sure it was the same place because it would be a little embarrassing if I talk about somewhere completely different.

No need to sorry...the board language is english :)

Danielle said:
Well, maybe he won't have to worry about giving up his job if he marries Victoria; firstly he won't have a job and secondly he won't have Victoria because he will be in jail.
Well, there are still the caravans for couples in the courtyard of the jail ;)

Danielle said:
You are right. He's not ready for the responsibility of being a Prince and these crimes are very serious. If he married her and continued on this path, then maybe he would start ripping-off the government.:rolleyes:

Well, then we would have at least again a prince consort like prince Bernhard...who was after all entertaining. ;) I should stop kidding around. Victoria hasn´t deserved such a guy. And I hope this was the last time, that we have heard about Daniel and the law...or even Daniel and Master Training. :mad:
BTW I wonder, how the tax authorities really treat Daniel and this case...was this more some kind of "ops, Mr Westling it seems you have forgotten something...please correct that" or was this a case for the police. I guess it would become one, when he wouldn´t pay at once and when he wouldn´t have a good lawyer (???)

Larzen said:
I cant comment since I dont know enough about taxes, only that it is stupid to think that he can get away with it, and it seems the only times he comes out of his mussel is to promote or defend his golden cow.

Still I think breaking traffic laws is way worse, and its not like the King just parked on the wrong spot, King or personal trainer (sorry VD:rolleyes: ), you put other peoples life in danger, wich you dont do with tax questions, but it does but some questions on your judgemnet and moral (or the moral of you accountant)

Larzenish writing style as its best :D I would though say, that it takes a bit more "furtiveness" to betray the state, than to press harder at the throttle on the motorway (as much as I know, the king and Daniel "just" drove too fast on the motorway). But you are of course right...when an accident with other ppl involved would happen, than this would be much worse, than a pile of files and some missing money for the state...
When you mention the accountant...wouldn´t they go through all the bills together? How should the accountant know, that Benny was in Majorca, where Daniel celebrated New year and that Daniel moved (and what it costed) :confused:

If Daniel is really in trouble with taxes, then this is a bad thing - also for Victoria in a way, because she's next to Daniel. I always wondered why they hadn't married yet, but well... maybe Victoria is frightened of getting in really trouble then and don't wish to marry him soon? It is not the best image for a future queen to have a boyfriend who is in conflict with law... :confused:

If this is true, then it could not speak very well for Victoria. Regardless of the fact that she didn't do anything wrong, her boyfriend did. Maybe she should distance herself for a while.

Has this tax evasion story been picked up or confirmed by other news sources? Does it seem to be a very big deal in Sweden?

princess gertrude said:
If this is true, then it could not speak very well for Victoria. Regardless of the fact that she didn't do anything wrong, her boyfriend did. Maybe she should distance herself for a while.

I think in this case I am not a believer in "guilt by association" for Victoria. It seems clear from the little that has been published or is known about this relationship that Victoria was not involved in Daniel's gym business, that the relationship between V & D was a very personal one. And even though couples must and do talk about their jobs (comes naturally with talking about your day), Daniel would not necessarily have told Victoria about his tax evasion (if it is true) or he and his business partner's money schemes (eg. Benny going to Majorca with his girlfriend and saying that it's a business trip).

I think that for Victoria to distance herself might send a wrong message: That when things get tough for people she cares about in her life, she flees rather than stand by them and support them. And as we are talking about someone who has been in Victoria's life for the past three years, not just a mere three weeks, support is much more needed in this case.

It might also set a standard of precedence: If Victoria's other friends get in trouble with the law will Victoria also flee? (Remember when the tsunami hit and rather than come immediately home from her holidays she carried on? It seems that Victoria has for me certainly, left a bad taste about when bad things happen, she ducks and hides rather than faces the music and lead as a future Queen should and must.)

And it would look particularly bad for Victoria if these allegations of tax evasion turned out to be false and she had distanced herself from Daniel -- it would mean that she never trusted him at all.

I am a big believer in standing by people in your life and being loyal to them, especially when times are tough (as no doubt such a situation must be for Daniel). My friends and I have been friends for more than 21 years and as one of my friends puts it, I would have to murder someone in cold blood in front of her without a sign of remorse before she would give up on me or our friendship.

Last edited:
Oh Daniel is prosecuted by the IRS? Thats surely a no reason for a Prime minister if he gets a criminal record for that! And of course for the state treasurer. Well chances for Dennism :D ?

Hey was this a New Years Party with Victoria? So she is business expenses? sounds interesting...

Maybe Vicky was informed in advance by the states secret service and she stated this split up thing for protection....:cool:

Last edited:
As I get it, it´s not a question, if this happened or not, but how the tax authorities will deal with it. Expressen is a trashy tabloid, no doubt, but one can be sure, that stories about tax evasion, misrepresentations in the tax return etc. are true. Such things are simply to easy to find out. And as I´ve explained once before, statements of persons, mentioned with their names are true as well. So one can be pretty sure, that Daniel has sent Expressen an Email. Further DN a newspaper with a better reputation had the story as well.
http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=147&a=435502&previousRenderType=6

Now it really depends on the tax authorities, his advisors, his acountant(s) and his lawyers, how and if he gets away with this. My guess is, that he will get away with back pay and some sort of penalty. But I don´t think, that this would mean any further legal problem (criminal conviction etc.) I also don´t think, that this would be a reason for the government to dismiss him as prince consort. This also won´t ruin Master Training. The whole story is just bad for his reputation-very bad.
I agree with Alexandria, she should go on to support him. But for the case she already had doubts (and sees some sort of potential in Daniel to do such things again), (in her position) I would take this as chance to make a "final stroke"

Last edited:
English article from The Local:

Victoria's boyfriend in tax trouble

Daniel Westling, boyfriend of Swedish Crown Princess Victoria, allowed his company to pay for private expenses including a New Year's party. Now the tax authority has caught up with him, and he faces a penalty tax on 90,000 kronor of his income.

Westling, aged 31 and joint owner of a gym in Stockholm, has been found by the Swedish tax authority to have made a false tax declaration, Expressen reports.

When the tax authority investigated the accounts of Master Training, which Westling owns together with Benny Johansson, it found that they included "business expenses" such as 6,480 kronor described as costs for Westling to move flat, and the cost of a New Year party in Eskilstuna.

Other expenses that caught the taxman's eye were the costs for Benny Johansson to go to Majorca with his partner, which auditors for the tax authority said could not be classed as business expenses.

Daniel Westling told Expressen in an email that it was not unusual for companies to have different opinions to the tax authority over what constitutes deductible expenses.

Now Westling, Johansson and their company face paying a 40 percent penalty tax.

http://www.thelocal.se/article.php?ID=1705&date=20050705&PHPSESSID=2be71655d844a499dcf6d20f7ac54551

Anyway as a company on shares isn't there a tax advisor necassary to check everything in advance? At least thats law here in Germany. If this guy has mad a mistake I would kick him and sue him for his failure he is hired to prevent this sort of things. If he really gets fined than he has got serious problems and if he marries Victoria and gets prince consort wouldn't that be a sign that tax fraud is like wrong parking? I do not think that the PM would be very keen on that and might have a closer look as tax fraud is very negative for the state.

Last edited:
My opinion is that EVERYBODY in Sweden that owns a company "cheats" a little with the taxes and purchases stuff to the company that they're really going to use privately. And since Daniel is not being prosecuted for a tax crime, he can't have cheated very much. Therefore I say, no biggie!

And it seems (from the people I have talked to) that only the media in Sweden cares. We are quite used to people cheating a bit with their taxes, for example our last (socialist) finance minister tried to avoid paying taxes at all. What an example for the people!

Cissan said:
My opinion is that EVERYBODY in Sweden that owns a company "cheats" a little with the taxes and purchases stuff to the company that they're really going to use privately. And since Daniel is not being prosecuted for a tax crime, he can't have cheated very much. Therefore I say, no biggie!

And it seems (from the people I have talked to) that only the media in Sweden cares. We are quite used to people cheating a bit with their taxes, for example our last (socialist) finance minister tried to avoid paying taxes at all. What an example for the people!
I can agree with you about people 'cheating' within their own company (sometimes). Even though what Daniel and Benny are doing is fraud and it's highly illegal, there are companies/organisations that have done much, much worse (e.g., Tyco). I think everyone does something to get in 'trouble' with the tax department at some stage; sometimes it's a genuine mistake and other times it's not. Tax and anything related to business, in my opinion, is impossible to understand, so if you can, you have my utmost admiration. :) Tax to me is like cricket; you can tell me a thousand times the ins and outs of it and I still won't get it.

Cissan, I love your avatar. It brings back memories. :D

Back
Top Bottom