Prince Daniel's Background (Family, Education etc.)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hrhcp said:
It should also be remember that the skills of people fall into one of seven (?) primary groups, them being:
1. eye-hand coordination : machine operators, surgeons ..
2. music : musicians.
3. languages : translators, interpretors.
4. scientific : engineers, chemists, physicists
5. brawn : labourers, Daniel ?
6. creative : sculptors, artists, painters
7. arts/memory types : historians, biologists
good point !
So these days to be a "Daniel" is a profession :p Well, maybe it will become one.
Auntie (pinching Billy´s cheek): "So say me little Billy, what do you want to become, when you´re grown-up?"
Billy "Not sure, auntie Trudy, but to be a Daniel, who would satisfy the crown princess/queen... I think this sounds good" ;)

Some "news" from Passagen debatt. Passagen debatt, or better said its subforum "Hemligt Skvaller" is a forum on gossip. So please take it with a pinch of salt (or was it "grain of salt"...here we go again...the old discussion on this phrase. :p :D )
And even when it´s true...about 15 years went by...one can always hope, that ppl go through a process of maturing after school...and see, what they have done wrong in the past. Of course then it´s often too late for the mobbed person, who has to fight many more years to regain her/his self confidence. :(
But again: take it with a pinch of salt and/or bear in mind, that Daniel and this guy could have been at some sort of personal feud with each other...so that both could be "blamed". Well, enough blablabla, now the story:

Det enda sensationella jag hört om honom är historien om att han skulle mobbat en kille på högstadiet.
Tror det var på nån personlig sida, där killen ifråga skrev och berättade att bilden av Daniel W inte stämmer och att han var ansvarig för att killen var rädd så fort han var i skolan...
The only sensational I´ve heard about him is a story, in which it´s said, that he should have bullied a guy during the time at "högstadiet" (= highschool, which Swedish students attend between 16-19...Daniel has chosen some sort of "shortcut" and has attended it between 16 and 18) I think this was (mentioned) on a personal page...there a guy questioned what was written and told, that the image of Daniel W. is wrong and that he was responsible for the fear, that the guy felt as soon as he had entered the school...

http://debatt.passagen.se/show.fcgi?category=500000000000011&conference=8000000000000088&posting=19500000002551458

Lena said:
Some "news" from Passagen debatt. Passagen debatt, or better said its subforum "Hemligt Skvaller" is a forum on gossip. So please take it with a pinch of salt (or was it "grain of salt"...here we go again...the old discussion on this phrase. :p :D )
And even when it´s true...about 15 years went by...one can always hope, that ppl go through a process of maturing after school...and see, what they have done wrong in the past. Of course then it´s often too late for the mobbed person, who has to fight many more years to regain her/his self confidence. :(
But again: take it with a pinch of salt and/or bear in mind, that Daniel and this guy could have been at some sort of personal feud with each other...so that both could be "blamed". Well, enough blablabla, now the story:

Det enda sensationella jag hört om honom är historien om att han skulle mobbat en kille på högstadiet.
Tror det var på nån personlig sida, där killen ifråga skrev och berättade att bilden av Daniel W inte stämmer och att han var ansvarig för att killen var rädd så fort han var i skolan...
The only sensational I´ve heard about him is a story, in which it´s said, that he should have bullied a guy during the time at "högstadiet" (= highschool, which Swedish students attend between 16-19...Daniel has chosen some sort of "shortcut" and has attended it between 16 and 18) I think this was (mentioned) on a personal page...there a guy questioned what was written and told, that the image of Daniel W. is wrong and that he was responsible for the fear, that the guy felt as soon as he had entered the school...

http://debatt.passagen.se/show.fcgi?category=500000000000011&conference=8000000000000088&posting=19500000002551458

Daniel a school bully? He looks like he couldn't hurt a fly (from his looks now of course).:)

Alisa said:
Daniel a school bully? He looks like he couldn't hurt a fly (from his looks now of course).:)
Anybody, no matter what size or appearance, is capable of being a bully. The sad truth is, most people were either bullies or were bullied themselves at some stage of their schooling, so these rumours could very well be true. However, what we don't know is why Daniel allegedly bullied this other guy. Not that I approve of violence :)rolleyes: ) but maybe the other guy 'deserved' it. Who knows. As you said Lena, we can only hope that Daniel has matured. Maybe being a gym owner has allowed him to channel his 'aggression' into something more productive.

the second part of the "biography" on Daniel (have I missed an engagement, or what? ;) )
http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,718567,00.html

Little preview: Pappa Olle is proud of his two children.
And the mystery around Benny seems solved: He sold his shares to Daniel (and two other guys, who own each 15%), but he still works at MT. An (so called) insider says, that Benny and Daniel don´t deal with each other as much as before.

Last sentence in the article: – Daniel Westling ger inte intervjuer, säger en kvinna på hans gym.
- Daniel Westling does not give interviews says a woman at his gym

Me: Unless it is to Dagens Industri:rolleyes:

Here is the translation of the before mentioned article "Skilda världar"
For me it included not much new. But I guess for the people, who wonder about Daniel´s pre-victorian life, it´s quite interesting.

Parted Worlds

No array of flashy girlfriends. No wild parties in clubs. Even not a beer in a bar.
Daniel isn´t like the brats around the Stureplan.
The court is lucky to get such a great guy, says one, who was his team leader for many years at Hofors ice hockey club.
Victoria´s birth was news all over the world. Daniel´s birth, a few year earlier, was only news for the closest. Shortly after his birth the family moved to an apartment in the new built suburb Bojsenburg in the north of Falun. Father Olle worked 1977 as surveyor for the youth welfare service. The father of the new born Victoria was king over Sweden and her family lived in the Royal palace in Stockholm.
The king got then an yearly apanage of 15.7 million Swedish crowns. This means 1.3 million a month. Olle Westling had gotten at this time a wage raise and earned 4949 crowns a month.
One year later family Westling moved to Ockelbo -favourite haunt in Gästrikland-as the municipality calls itself. Daniel´s father made career in the municipal administration and in 1981 the family could live in an own house.

Got an own sleeping room

Daniel and his big sister Anna got own sleeping rooms in the new built 140 square meters big row house at the Smältvägen, a place with many children in the south part of the town. In the same year Victoria moved to Drottninholm castle
The succession was changed around this time and Victoria became crown princess.
Daniel Westling went from the first to the ninth grade to the local school of Ockelbo. His best friend was his classmate Andreas Nylin. He is one of the old friends, who got the chance to meet Victoria. His wedding in 2002 got a Royal touch, when Daniel Westling came together with Victoria.
Most spare time-consuming was sports. He played soccer in Ockelbo´s boy league and started with Basketball and ice hockey.

Basic high school programme

During his teenage years sports took more and more of his time, and so his final grades at the Perslunda school were nothing to cheer on. He got lower grades in three subjects and went off with mainly 3s. He only got a 5 in his favourite subject Sports. The other favourite subject was "Our daily life"-an optional subject, that Daniel had chosen during his whole time at junior high school. In this course he learnt among other things how to cook. When Daniel left junior high school, Victoria finished the 5th grade of the Ålstens school in Bromma. She was Duchess of Västergötland and the court had already started to plan, how she should be prepared and educated as successor.
Victoria suffered, just like the king, from dyslexia and needed much more time for writing, reading and homework than her classmates. But she had all imaginable help from the court. For Daniel such a golden life didn´t exist. Ockelbo even hadn´t a senior high school. After junior high school Daniel started at the Hammnar gymnasiet in Sandviken. He chose the 2 year long social line without a second foreign language and with basic english. Per Åslund from Sandviken attended the same class as Daniel and the two became best friends.
"We shared the interest for sports", Per Åslund says.
"He played soccer and hockey and practised weight training already then"
"Did he tell, what he wanted to do in the future?"
"It was pretty clear, that it would be something with sports, PE teacher or something like that"
According to Per Åslund Daniel Westling was popular among the girls at school. "He was interested in fashion, mainly in a sporty style. One got to hear, that many thought, he was both, pleasant and good looking."
"Was he together with a girl"
"This wasn´t common at this time"
"Were you surprised, when you got to hear, that he´s together with the crown princess?"
"Yes, of course one was surprised. But at the same time (I would say) when one in the class had the potential, than him.

Star of the Hockey team

The high school parties were held at the hotel Princess in Sandviken.
"Beer was drunken. But Daniel never drank, this was a little bit unusual", says Per Åslund
"He drank no alcohol at all. But then again he was the one, who was most go-ahead."
Daniel left the two year long programme with an grade point average of 3.07. Crown princess Victoria left the seventh grade the same year. This was her first year at the private Enskilda gymnasiet in Stockholm. One year later she was confirmed in the Räpplinge church on Öland. Then Daniel Westling was recruited as rookie at regiment I14 in Gävle. But he never finished this education.
"We started as recruits of the company, but we both changed, since it wasn´t possible to combine this with sports. One missed training too often", says Daniel´s friend Johan Stark.
Daniel Westling almost shuttled between I14 and the Hockey Arena in Hofors.
He was winger and was regarded as one of the better players in the team.

Top grades in the military service.

There wasn´t much time left for spare time and partying.
"I´ve never seen Daniel drunk. He was out with us , but all time dry"
Just like during his teenage years Daniel wasn´t often seen with women.
"I can´t remember, that he had a girlfriend, when we were in the military service", says Johan Stark, who went to the same school as Daniel.
School work wasn´t Daniel´s thing, so much the better he was as recruit. He demobbed 1993 with the top grades 10-9-8
The following year Daniel Westling got a place in Lillsveds sports college in Värmdö near Stockholm. He got educated for being a recreation instructor/advisor for sports.
"We studied together. This was nearly my best year in life", says Peter Hyttinen, 32.
Life wasn´t just studying, but also parties, for which Daniel and the others got dressed up. But in the opposite to many other students Daniel Westling was nearly always dry. And he was never seen together with women.
"What I remember he had no girlfriend at the school", says Peter Hyttinen.
1996, the year in which Daniel Westling left Lillsveds sports college, crown princess Victoria got her degree at the Ensikilda gymnasiet . She went off with an grade point average of 4.8. In the opposite to Daniel Westling Victoria got special tuition. In the end she was judged with distinction and got as motivation: "Very good results and very good performances in art"
The kisses on the cheeks seemed to find no end.

Became Victoria´s trainer

In the evening a student party waited at Ulriksdal castle. The guests arrived by boat, which docked at the castle´s private bridge. This autumn Daniel tried to cope with Stockholm´s housing market. He got a roof over his head by renting an apartment in Polhemsgatan on Kungsholmen (the king´s islet), but there he stayed just three months, then it was time to move.
For the crown princess life was easier. She got a 2-room apartment at Drottningholm castle. In the late 90ties Victoria crisscrossed the world. She carried out a placement at the UN in New York and in 1999 one at Sweden´s embassy in Washington DC
This year Daniel Westling and his buddy Benny Johansson bought the gym Master Training in the Regeringsgatan in Stockholm. Both had worked as personal trainer and wanted to start an own project. Victoria´s big love was then an other Daniel-an young man from the wealthy family Collert. But Daniel Westling had already started social climbing-both, in a social and economic way. Through the gym he got in contact with managing directors and the heads of the business world.
Princess Madeleine trained there and recommended her elder sister to work out there. In 2001 Daniel Westling became Victoria´s personal trainer. The trainer/customer-relationship changed little by little to a relationship of love.
Now the athletic guy from Ockelbo is on the best way to become a prince, and the son-in-law of the king.
"The court is lucky to get such a great guy. One can just congratulate them" says the former team leader of Hofor´s Ice Hockey club, Rolf Larsson.
"Danne is a guy from the country side, one has to watch out for. He is eager to learn and this was never a big deal for him"

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,718061,00.html

Little explanations:
In Sweden one has to attend school from grade 1 to grade 9. Grade 1 starts at 7 years.
When I talk in the text about junior high school, than I mean the so called "Högstadiet", which goes from grade 7-9.
When I talk about high school, I mean grade 10-12 of the so called "gymnasiet". These years are voluntarily...but you need them for most studies at university. Daniel attended the gymnasiet only from grade 10-11 and also graduated. But as I´ve heard this way isn´t very common in Sweden and I guess for popular studies at university you need to fulfill 12 years of school.

To the grades. Roughly said:
5= the US-american A
4= B
3= C
4= D
1= F

One Swedish crown (SEK)= 0.13 US Dollar
So 15.3 mio SEK= 1.990.466 $
1.3 mio SEK= 165.000 $
4949 SEK= 627 $
In fact one can´t compare the rate from 1977 with today´s rates. But at least you get an idea.

The street names:
The ending "gatan"= street
The ending "vägen"= lane

Last edited:
Incorrect about Swedish school, costs and rates

Lena said:
Little explanations:
In Sweden one has to attend school from grade 1 to grade 9. Grade 1 starts at 7 years.
When I talk in the text about junior high school, than I mean the so called "Högstadiet", which goes from grade 7-9.
When I talk about high school, I mean grade 10-12 of the so called "gymnasiet". These years are voluntarily...but you need them for most studies at university. Daniel attended the gymnasiet only from grade 10-11 and also graduated. But as I´ve heard this way isn´t very common in Sweden and I guess for popular studies at university you need to fulfill 12 years of school.

To the grades. Roughly said:
5= the US-american A
4= B
3= C
4= D
1= F

One Swedish crown (SEK)= 0.13 US Dollar
So 15.3 mio SEK= 1.990.466 $
1.3 mio SEK= 165.000 $
4949 SEK= 627 $
In fact one can´t compare the rate from 1977 with today´s rates. But at least you get an idea.

The street names:
The ending "gatan"= street
The ending "vägen"= lane

School:
The conclutions about scool and the gradigsystem is incorrect. In "gymnasiet" (High school) at the time when Mr Westling completed his studies there were possibilitys studying two-, three- or four years. For some studys/educations on higher level, even University, one needed two years in gymnasiet and for others tree. Four years studies in gymnasiet did lead to vocational training.

About grades 5 - 1 one can't say 1 is a failure. If a student did't passed they did have " - " (stroke, slate clean). 3 in Sweden is the sam as "national average". (We have national tests and out of them grades can change a bit from one Year to another, in the best conceivable manner depending on national results.

The grading system in "High school" (Gymnasiet) nowdays have changed. Its:
MVG (very well done)
VG (Well done)
G (done=passed, carrying out a programme)
EG (invalid results - in a certain programme)

Economy
One can't compare pears and apples. You must look at rates, costs into a certain country, how much a certain value costs etc. etc. the same Year. If one shall try comparing one must look at the same thing - the same year.

Last edited:
Karisma said:
School:
The conclutions about scool and the gradigsystem is incorrect. In "gymnasiet" (High school) at the time when Mr Westling completed his studies there were possibilitys studying two-, three- or four years. For some studys/educations on higher level, even University, one needed two years in gymnasiet and for others tree. Four years studies in gymnasiet did lead to vocational training.

About grades 5 - 1 one can't say 1 is a failure. If a student did't passed they did have " - " (stroke, slate clean). 3 in Sweden is the sam as "national average". (We have national tests and out of them grades can change a bit from one Year to another, in the best conceivable manner depending on national results.

The grading system in "High school" (Gymnasiet) nowdays have changed. Its:
MVG (very well done)
VG (Well done)
G (done=passed, carrying out a programme)
EG (invalid results - in a certain programme)

Economy
One can't compare pears and apples. You must look at rates, costs into a certain country, how much a certain value costs etc. etc. the same Year. If one shall try comparing one must look at the same thing - the same year.

Thank you for explaining it more detailed. I though wonder, what one could access with 2 years of gymnasiet. I guess less (and that´s what I´ve said), otherwise everyone, who did 3 years must be stupid to do so. Or the 2 year programme was something for high achievers, who completed the programme of 3 years in 2 (Germany has now a similar programme. 12 years for "good" students instead of 13)

Well, I´ve said, that one can´t compare the rates from 1977 with those from today. But as I´ve said, I wanted to give an idea.
Most young Swedes from today also don´t have an idea, what one got for 4949 SEK in 1977!

No the 2 year system had nothing to do with the "better students"...
But it is possible for those who are very bright and have it easy at school, to skip a year. I dont know how common that is thoug

And I dont know why some subjects only had 2 years back then (as it was before my time :) ) but nowaydays all programs are 3 years...

About grades.

Yennie said:
No the 2 year system had nothing to do with the "better students"...
But it is possible for those who are very bright and have it easy at school, to skip a year. I dont know how common that is thoug

And I dont know why some subjects only had 2 years back then (as it was before my time :) ) but nowaydays all programs are 3 years...

Thank You Lena! Your explenations, translations and points are interesting.

Yennie!Yes, it was a strange system compared with the one we have nowdays. By choosing different subjects in junior high scool (högstadiet) You could prepare Yourself for something You wanted to study in University level. And then some studies in high school didn't have to be more then two years. You are right in that it was'nt "better students". But if a student was motivated enough to study something "special" after high scool or working in a certain buisness it was a smart choise shortening highscool studies.

A few comments:​

Lena doesn´t get it exactly right with DW´s military service, he started out at the program for "kompaniofficer" which is 450 days and leads to an exam as conscript subliutenant (värnpliktig fänrik) but changed to veichledriver and graduasted after 227 or 297 days as a private soldier. The army obviously likes him as he graduated with exceptionally good grades and was in the first place selected for the most qualified program they had at the regiment which was closed in 1997.

Daniels studies at Lillsveds sport college not only gave him a vocational training but probably also a better possibility to apply for university. The courses at "Folkhögskolor" normally givs a certificate in swedish, english and maths that equals a three year highschool program although they only comes in the grade passed (godkänd) or not passed (underkänd).

Grades from private schools like the one the kings children has studied at are not public, but if someone applies to university with them they becomes public. I don´t think we have ever seen prince Carl Philips grades. Grades from public schools are public.

The two year theoretical programs, like the one DW studied at, gave access to some university programs but it wasn´t the normal way for someone with ambitions to study them. The two year vocational programs didn´t give access to university.

Trifle

tog said:
The two year theoretical programs, like the one DW studied at, gave access to some university programs but it wasn´t the normal way for someone with ambitions to study them. The two year vocational programs didn´t give access to university.

Being a headmaster/dean/principal for about 24 years I don't agree with the assertion You gave that "two Years in highschool wasn't the normal way for someone with ambitions". It´s right both the ways! If a student did know, in a future perspective ,what kind of education/job he/she did think will be in focus (centre) of interest, it realy was a smart choise. Its true that two years of theoretical programs did'nt give access to some program in university level. But if a student did know it wasn't the kind of program one would like to study it was no meaning being in highschool one year extra. I´f a student does have special interests, and wants to develop them, it must be better doing that as soon as he/she is "mature enough" doing it. It's perhaps not wrong things You are writing, but it's a incorrectimplication about the earlier education system. It's not possible comparing it with the system nowdays.

And I did realy like what Lena wrote. It wasn't a caustic rebuttal at all from me.

A little comparison:

A poll we hade recently on TRF:
"When do you think Crown Princess Victoria will get engaged to Daniel Westling" are now finnished and the poll is hereby closed. The poll results are as follows:

This autumn/winter (marriage 2006) 44 votes, 23.78%
In the spring/summer of 2006 (marriage 2006) 54 votes, 29.19%
In the autumn/winter of 2006 (marriage 2007)
32 votes, 17.30%
Never 55 votes, 29.73%

A poll, the Swedish TV channel TV4 has started online:

"When will crown princess Victoria and Daniel Westling marry?"
In spring (10,8 %)
In summer (35,8 %)
In winter (10,2 %)
They won´t marry (43,2 %)

Participating people (so far): 1457
This poll was started this autumn.
http://tv4.se/412263.html
I wonder, why here and there, so many people vote "never" :confused:

I always thought that Swedish men were required to serve a certain amount of time in the service. So wouldn't Daniel already have some kind of military rank?

BriD said:
I always thought that Swedish men were required to serve a certain amount of time in the service. So wouldn't Daniel already have some kind of military rank?
not all do, you can get a freecard. Sweden has cut back on the defense lately. I dont know if Daniel got one tough, I think I read somewhere that he was in the military...?

Daniel did perform the mandatory (not really mandatory anymore though, but still called so) military service/conscription as a vehicle driver at I14, the Reigment of Hälsingland (now closed down). But that was just normal military service, and I don't think that gives you a rank above 'private', unless choosing to continue after the mandatory time...

DW was originally selected to do the 15 month training as "kompanibefäl" and graduate as conscript subliutenant. However he chose to change his training into a shorter one as he couldn´t find time to play icehockey with the very long serviceperiod he was selected for (the maximum period). The army really isn´t very interested in having badly motivated people in the longer programs so it was probably not that hard to change. He did graduate with an exceptionally good report , 10-8-9, where 10-5-5 is acceptable, with 10-6-6 you could do UN peacekeeping duty and 10-7-7 is the requirement for applying to officers college. 10-10-10 is the maximum both does in practice not exsist. If he had graduated from his original program with those reports from the program he would have been put under pressure by recruitment officers to pursue a military career.

has the royal court made a profile on daniel yet
i mean on the webbsite

Does Daniel's sister Anna have children?

Her daughter was a bridesmaid at the wedding in 2010

NGalitzine said:
Her daughter was a bridesmaid at the wedding in 2010

She has 2 and both of them (Hedvig and Vera) were bridesmaids.

It says on Daniels wiki,that he only has one sibling.

She has one sister-Anna, very elegant woman in my opinion.

Olle Westling opened today a seminar "Life in the finnish Forests" at the Hanasaari Cultural Center in Espoo, Finland. He is the chairman of swedish Forest Finn Cultural Association. He told that according to one researcher the roots of his ancestors are from Savonia, Finland. If this is true, Estelle has also some finnish blood from her ancestors. However, Olle Westling said that he can't guarantee that this is certain, only one researcher has confirmed the finnish roots. He is very interested of the finnish roots of his ancestors. The reporter says that the court has given strict guidelines about talking of Estelle (I think that he is so civilized himself that he knows what to speak without any orders from the court), while asked about Estelle, Olle Westling said just that "I'm not here to speak about that question".

Video of the interview of Olle Westling, done by the news of finnish TV-channel Nelonen.
http://www.nelonen.fi/uutiset/videot-ja-uutislähetykset?vt=video&vid=243956
Program of the seminar
Seminarium: Livet i Finnskogarna - Hanaholmen/Hanasaari

Last edited:
I cannot help myself but I love Daniels parents. They are so down-to-earth and natural. I am sure they are very very very very proud of their son. Also of their daughter.

Considering what Daniel and his family have been thrust into in these last years, the entire family has behaved impeccably. Of course being in Sweden may have something to do with this as well.

I just read an article about Sweden being one of the 10 "happiest" places in the world to live. It certainly is one of the most civilized - the paparazzi are not the vultures they are in other countries of the world.

Back
Top Bottom