Prince Daniel as Regent?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The most likely scenario imho is that Estelle will be of age at the time her mother becomes queen, so there won't be a need for a regent ?

Of course, that is still 8 years away and he might surprise us by abdicating or he might die before his granddaughter's 18th birthday but let's hope the latter won't be the case.

The most likely scenario imho is that Estelle will be of age at the time her mother becomes queen, so there won't be a need for a regent ?

Of course, that is still 8 years away and he might surprise us by abdicating or he might die before his granddaughter's 18th birthday but let's hope the latter won't be the case.

There are two types of regents under the Swedish Instrument of Government: the regent ad interim, who takes over the role of Head of State temporarily while the King is absent or incapacitated, and the “ permanent” regent , who fulfills the role of Head of State when the King is a minor or there is no one left in the line of succession at the moment of the demise of the Crown.

My understanding is that, in the first case, the regent ad interim is automatically the next available person in the order of succession ( by proximity to the throne) subject to being of age and a Swedish citizen,. In the second situation, the Instrument of Government says that the Parliament must elect a regent and, at the same time, a deputy regent.

As I interpret it then, Prince Daniel cannot be a regent ad interim, as he is not in the line of succession ( the natural order in this case today would be CP Victoria and, then, if she is unavailable to serve, Prince Carl Philip). But the Instrument of Government itself does not explicitly bar Prince Daniel from serving as a regent for Princess Estelle if she outlived her mother while still a minor ( which is unlikely). I don’t know if the Swedish Parliament later passed any further legislation that would make CP the automatic regent, but I don’t think so.

Last edited:
Mbruno, that makes a lot of sense. It is indeed important to distinguish between different situations.

Back
Top Bottom