Kidney Transplant for Daniel Westling: May 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope everything works out for them. I wonder if Daniel will take the role of a devoted father and spend more time with their kids than Victoria in the future (not saying Victoria wouldn't be devoted but considering the duties etc.)?

Last edited by a moderator:
It has nothing to do with voyeurism gardenia81. Royal people and celebrities live under magnifying glass wether they like it or not, and many of them wish it was different. But when you are Royal like CP Victoria and she is to marry Mr Westling who will be a prince, people are curious about them, and become concerned when something serious as kidney disease and organ transplant is a fact. It is not voyeurism to want to know more about it. And since living in 2009, and not in the 1920's, when in example Swedish princess Astrid could date Leopold of Belgium for quite some time before anyone even knew who he was when he was in Sweden, this is not the case in 2009. News spread fast in 2009, but I totally respect Mr. Westling and his fathers privacy, and other patients right to have a quiet hospital stay.

So I hope there will be a press release with info soon. The Swedish people has a right to know more, but that doesn't mean that it is necessary to dig to the bone, and reveal very private details about Mr Westling. Diagnosis and prognosis would be ok. Other people in royal families are open about health problems, so why not with Mr Westling? There is a fine line between private and personal. It is not necessary to reveal each and every detail around Westlings transplant, just essential facts.

They handled it well when King Harald was sick. They (doctors) never needed to say as much as they said, but they even had a press conference where docs with the Kings blessings answered questions unless they were tasteless. (Some questions were, I watched it.) But I think it was wise to do it that way, to release info about the situation. There were not much stuff in media about the King during his recovery time. But it would have been big head lines it everything was kept more of a secret.

Then again, the two men has different roles. Hopefully Mr Westling will be out of hospital during first half of June. Maybe they are just waiting to see how it all goes before releasing info. It takes some time for a body to adjust to a new organ. I know this issue from people in close family too. It isn't small stuff. Taking necessary time to gain enough info to give short and accurate info is wise, but to keep this very secret, might lead to people chasing after the couple and lots of stories in media that the couple or the Swedish monarchy doesn't need at all.

I wish all the best for all involved. :flowers:

Added: Thank you to all who post links in this thread. :)

(And by the way gardenia81, voyeurism is actually looking at other people undressing, having sex or urinating or defecating, and that give some kind of sexual pleasure. (Voir - French word for "to look")
So being concerned and curious and anxious about Mr Westling, is something most people feel out of empathy with the couple, and not because of some sexual needs.)

Well I agree & disagree with some of your points. But we all have different opinions.
Per your definition of voyeurism, it can also mean "An obsessive observer of sordid or sensational subjects."

I simply want to send my wishes for a healthy recovery to Daniel and father. Reading this thread has been informative and relays much of what I was hoping to know. It came from the blue that Daniel was harboring a malignant kidney that worsened to the extent of having immediate procedure. It is fortunate his father's kidney was a match and that it seems things are to turn out better for all involved (including the concerned Bernadottes). Let's keep wishing them our best and include them in our prayers for the sake of the land and the Kingdom of Sweden. May you and your father farewell. :rainbow: :rose:

I hope everything works out for them. I wonder if Daniel will take the role of a devoted father and spend more time with their kids than Victoria in the future (not saying Victoria wouldn't be devoted but considering the duties etc.)?

Obviously if the position of his new kidney was dangerous in some way, shape or form, the doctors would not have put it there.

I will keep my opinion on whether or not the Swedish Royal Court handled this correctly. I don't have all of the information and I have no right to judge. I'll simply say I wish Daniel and his father all the best and a safe and healthy recovery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does he need to do some haemodyalisis daily? Maybe if he wasn't transplanted he would need to do that in future or maybe this kind of things happen, the kidney just can stop working and a transplantation is needed!

As it seems he wasn´t in the need of dialysis before the surgery. If he wouldn´t have had a living donator, he would have gone for dialysis...as the waiting times for post mortem kidneys are quite long (several years!)

If he would have an other living donator next time, he could skip dialysis again (of course depending on the organ getting accepted of the body)
Well, maybe donations aren´t needed any longer in 20 years or so.

Gosh! What an extraordinary bulletin for the palace to make - Daniel has just had a kidney transplant, we've known for a while, everything is fine.....I mean, it's an incredibly serious operation for him and his father to have and must be quite shocking for Sweden to have heard such news. I'm sure more information and details will emerge in due course once Daniel and his father have fully recovered. I suspect that keeping it quiet meant that there would be no hype or speculation to get in the way and Victoria could continue her duties in Greenland without being critised and clearly with Daniel insisting she goes ahead with the trip.

I wish him and his father well for a quick and painless recovery.

Naturally everyone wishes Daniel the best of health and recovery. However, this recovery could (not always--but frequently) takes at least a full year.
Its a shame he didn't have the operation a year or two ago, time to recover (away from the media) and then announce the engagement. The operation (waiting) will be stessful enough, now factor into all the stress the engagement brings.................the media won't let up

Daniel was leaving the hospital yesterday. Either for a short stop home or permanently (?) That is very soon actually. But then again...he isn´t a common patient either.

Imageshack - 9937067.jpg

I'm very happy to hear he is feeling well enough to leave the hospital.
(No matter if it is for good or if it was just a little trip out of there.)

I wih him and his father all the best, and I hope and pray for a successfull recoverytime with no complications. I really hope this transplant worked out well for him and that the body will not reject the kidney.

May all good be with him and CP Victoria. :flowers:

It's great that he left this hospital this morning!! His recovery will be better at home with the princess and his family!

By the way, he looks good!

Two small pics of Daniel and Victoria at one of Daniel´s gyms.
Daniel is according to the court working out by following a programme of his physiotherapist.
http://www.expressen.se/polopoly_fs/1.1606128!slot50ArticleSmall/3447786819.jpg

http://www.expressen.se/polopoly_fs/1.1606130!slot33slotWide25/3447786819.jpg

Both court and reporter Johan T. Lindwall can´t hold them back about Daniel´s super speedy recovery and his incredible physique (which is above the average and none can understand, how it is possible, he can work out already)

Not sure, if Daniel is all too happy about this superman talk :rolleyes:

Daniel tillbaka i gymmet igen - Nyheter - Expressen.se

I have absolutely no idea about the medical field other than putting a plaster on a cut or graze! To the experts out there is such a quick recovery possible after a kidney operation? So I'm thinking did he have the op well before Victoria went to Greenland, that it was announced after he was over the worst and that is why she was able to go to Greenland with peace of mind. Hope I don't offend anyone with these thoughts of mine.

No, stellad. The kidney transplantation did not take place earlier.
The surgery was announced by the Palace under pressure. while CP Victoria was in Greenland, in the evening of the day it was performed, because newspaper 'Expressen' was about to break the story and inquired to the Palace about it.
As far as we know, the Royal Court had indeed planned to keep the surgery secret.

The process of healing after abdominal surgery can vary a lot...and depends on the patient, surgeon and hygiene.
If you think of e.g. women having had c-sections...some mothers leave the hospital after 5 days and carry the baby & everything and others have problems for weeks.

With a kidney transplantation the surgery is the minor problem. Rejection and infections are the bigger issue. So IMO Daniel following his physiotherapist´s programme is not so surprising or shocking 2.5 weeks after the surgery and that he walked 1 or 2 days after the surgery is even desired (talking about thrombosis...)

That he was visiting his gyms was for me a little more surprising though. Well, might be he was there out of the regular times...and usually the customers of gyms are healthy, when going there...

I read somewhere that although he is in reality released from the hospital, officially (as stated by the court) he is still in the hospital. I wonder if his father is still in the hospital.

I find it a bit strange that Daniel is walking around outside and even attending his gym so soon after the operation. Shouldn't they be making sure he is not exposed to infections etc.? I hope he will have enough time to recover and will have the patience to take it easy. I know how easy it is to start living like you normally would after a medical operation or illness because you're feeling fine only to have some sort of setback later. I'm sure though his health is being taken care of properly.

Promcess Victoria's of Sweden Happiness at Stake

:ermm:A kidney transplant is a very serious thing, both the donor and the receiver had to be treated with certain medication before the surgery, and this occoured over a long period. I do not think that the King and Queen were aware of certian facts.

Just a few weeks after the engagement. this came to light. How interesting/ It is a nightmare for parents.

I do not think that the King and Queen were aware of certian facts.
Well, I hope they were. It doesn´t need medical studies at university to get informed. And the Queen had proven in the past, that she is willing to learn about health issues and is interested.

The slow development in the past 3 or so years let me assume, that all involved persons took their time to "digest" things and to get a clear picture (prognosis, risks, compability, tests on fertility and human genetics)

Some newspapers wrote, that he had kidney problems since childhood days, but that is actually not very likely...

Have their been any updates on Daniel's health ?

I read somewhere, can't recall where and when (sorry!) that he's partly recovered but still has some issues that is a part of the recovery process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom