Engagement of Crown Princess Victoria and Daniel Westling: February 24, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aftonbladet claims Daniel will be HRH Prince Daniel but I'm still not convinced until the court says it. At least I know know that his full name is Olof Daniel Westling.

It's usual procedure for male consorts to become Prince upon wedding (eg Philip, Claus, Henrik) so Daniel will become HRH, Prince of Sweden, although he could be known in public as Duke of Vaestergoetland (similar to The Duke of Edinburgh).

Not giving Daniel the HRH title is unthinkable and would make him a laughing stock before he is even married.

One more question: Is Daniel going to attend some official duties and events with the royal family and the crown princess now??? or will he have to wait until the wedding??

after the interview will they meet the public then you think

Finally:) This is wonderful news.....Congratulations to Crownprincess Victoria and Daniel:flowers:

Continuing my brief translation of what was said in the "official" video by the Royal family.

Queen Silvia said the family is going to accept Daniel in their family with open arms. She described Daniel as being "full of energy and considerate and will be and outstanding spouse for Victoria". To Victoria the queen said "We have full confidence on your choice" (meaning they think she made a right choice).

Then it was Daniel's turn to speak. "Our love has grown strongly during the years. My job is to support the Crown Princess in her important work for Sweden. In time I wish I could contribute myself."

Victoria said:" I am proud to work for Sweden but it is easier when there's two of us. With Daniel on my side I feel secure. And perhaps you have noticed that I have seemed stronger and happier in the past year."
"Now we can begin the preparations to begin something new and start a family."

Daniel said he would do all he can to earn the trust of the Swedish people.

That was pretty much it!

A few articles

Swedish crown princess to marry long-time boyfriend - Article
Report: Swedish princess to marry in 2010 - Article

He looks so different without his glasses!

i agree he's a person who has a face for glasses. they gave him the interesting (some would call it an intellectual) touch. daniel is a good looking, smart man but today i think he looks strange, maybe that's the excitement or stress. he looks more like al gore, not like daniel westling.
ANP Beeldbank

anyway i wish both of them the best of best, daniel must be very very much in love, brave and have a lot of confidence to marry the future Swedish queen and become the only male consort of the young royal generation. life won't be easy for him and i hope people will give him a chance and don't make him sacrifice his personality for the job. furthermore i hope that today's appearance wasn't just show and that king & queen will continue to give public back-up for daniel and won't allow the slightest doubt about their support towards him, finallly leaving the rumours about his suitability behind.

I believe the wedding will take place on June 19th. Has it been officially announced yet?

The fantastic news, indeed! Congratulations to Crown Princess Victoria and Mr. Westling!

Congratulations for her . She is so nice and simple.

Congratulations to the beautiful Princess!

Finally , Aww Congrats to the couple Victoria is getting married Cant wait to see her in her wedding dress next Summer :flowers::swedenstandard::queen:

Is there a banquet tonight for the engagement???

Very interesting news. I first saw the rumours this morning, but then I had to go to work :(

At SVT they're talking about the large expenses of the wedding, but also point out that even if it will most likely be a costly affair, there will also be income and advertising for Sweden.

Comment: "Stockholm is always prepared for events like this. We're a capital. We have the royal house, we have the Palace. We'll be cooperating with them"

Can I say "Finally!", raise my arms up in the air, and jump up and down with happiness? :lol:

Congrats to Princess Victoria and Daniel!

what did you all think about the move to have a video annuncing the engagement
was a good move?

the first gala dinner may be the reception dinner in march
we can hope that daniel and victoria will take part of that
there is also the state visit to the netherlands that would be great strt for daniel to meet some royals

when are victorias nameday?

Last edited by a moderator:
Official HQ photos
http://gaia.world-television.com/wtvse/mnr/263465/432/download/Image_02.jpg

http://gaia.world-television.com/wtvse/mnr/263465/432/download/Image_01.jpg

---
The official annoucement

Engagement between Crown Princess Victoria and Daniel Westling

Today, Tuesday 24 February 2009, the engagement between Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Victoria and Mr. Daniel Westling was announced at the Royal Palace in Stockholm.

After His Majesty The King of Sweden had given his consent to the marriage between the Crown Princess and Mr. Westling, His Majesty, in accordance with the procedures set out in the Swedish Constitution, requested the agreement by the Swedish Governmet, which was subsequently communicated to His Majesty in connection with an information council held at the Royal Palace today.

The wedding is planned to take place in the early summer of 2010. I connection with the wedding Mr. Westling will be invested with the title Prince Daniel, Duke of Västergörland. The question of residence for the Crown Princess and her future consort is subject to further consideration. Some different alternatives are being examined.

Meeting with the press
Media is invited to meet with the Crown Princess and Mr. Daniel Westling today at 17.00 hours in Princess Sibylla´s Apartment at the Royal Palace in Stockholm. This will not be a traditional press conference, but rather a photo opportunity with a possibility to put a few questions to the couple. For this reason we are mainly directing ourselves to larger media with a wide distribution both nationally and internationally. Only one writing journalist per media will be invited. For photos we refer to picture agencies.

Please see enclosed PDF-file (to the right) to see the available seats for the press. Journalists are kindly requested to bring their press ID´s .

Access to the Royal Palace will be provided from 16.00 hours through the main entrance at Västra valvet. All journalist should have taken their seats at 16.45 hours at the latest.

Nina Eldh
Director of Press & Communication

Last edited by a moderator:
what did you all think about the move to have a video annuncing the engagement
was a good move?
I think it's a good way to announce such a big news! It's good to hear the newly couple and the royal couple who talk about their daughter and her fiancé.
It's better than a simple note released on the official website. It's more human.

and now, he is giving up of his business? he will be prince consort when she is queen, right?

Now, I haven't read the rest, but where can you see it?

I just realized I have the swedish channel stv, (Sveriges television) it's always bothered me, but know Im happy that I have it. Are they sending the interview on that channel, anyone know? They a kinda Danish, so gotta support them right? Lol. :-D

Can you watch it Online ?

Congratulations to the couples, what wonderful business. Now weverybody can get on with the serious business of discussing the wedding arrangements, when, where, who will attend, who will wear what etc etc

Back
Top Bottom