Daniel's Future: Discussion (his role, title, orders, pressure etc.)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A King Consort back in the day could have been problematic because the royals had actual power. Now I see no problem in having a King Consort because the monarchy has no real political power. Besides, being made Prince Consort and not King Consort doesn't ensure that a man will take a back seat silently. Prince Henrik, anyone?

i think daniel would be prince consort like prince henrik of denmark although he has to shape clothes wise , i mean a jacket that you wear with a suit with jeans please and those dorky looking glasses

Wow! You sure seem to know more about our royals than what I do! :D And I still think making any queen's husband king is the way to go.

even if we know Queen Victoria is the head of state and not her King Daniel, the King Daniel title would confuse people in other countries, especially in those places where equality is nothing but a dot in outer space.

somehow i think ''drottninggemål Daniel'' (queen spouse Daniel) sounds more natural than prinsgemål or kungsgemål. after all, a gemål is someone who's married to someone else, and as he will be married to the queen in my mind he would be a drottninggemål.

i know they use the title ''prinsgemål'' about Prince Henrik of Denmark, I think it sounds like he's married to some other Prince, which makes it confusing.

Madeleine was appointed both Hälsingland and Gästrikland because they are both pretty small and also next to each other, like one administering region.

Is religion or the fact that they are commoners a factor anymore? Why did Carl Gustav have to wait until he was king to marry?

Thanks

i dont think that he had to wait, i think that it just would have been easier to wait and see if the people accepted silvia, which of course they did, and back then it was not acceptable to give up the throne for a commoner, so i think that he just waited because it was easier for everyone...

Until 1976 a swedish prince lost his title when he married a commoner, for example count Lennart Bernadotte. That´s why prince Bertil couldn´t marry Lilian. BUT a king could marry everyone he wants. So Carl Gustav could marry Silvia when he become king. Just after he had married Silvia king Carl Gustav changed this law and so prince Bertil could marry Lilian in december 1976.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but would it be any different if Victoria married someone who wasn't Swedish?

dcboon said:
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but would it be any different if Victoria married someone who wasn't Swedish?
If it was a commoner from another country, then most likely no, it would not change things. And even if it were a noble or royal, the highest title her husband can ever have, when she's Queen, would be Prince Consort anyway.

Why Prince Bertil didn´t get married

Antje said:
Until 1976 a swedish prince lost his title when he married a commoner, for example count Lennart Bernadotte. That´s why prince Bertil couldn´t marry Lilian. BUT a king could marry everyone he wants. So Carl Gustav could marry Silvia when he become king. Just after he had married Silvia king Carl Gustav changed this law and so prince Bertil could marry Lilian in december 1976.

Prince Bertil couldn´t marry Lilian because i could have been troble with order of succession to the throne. Carl-Gustaf was very young when his father, the crown prince, died in an flying accident. And Sweden suddenly had a yuong child as a crown prince and an old monarch. TRH of Sweden had problems because ther was not possible for a female ascend to the throne and there were no male heirs. So Prince Bertil made a great offer to his country when he helped the young CP an the older king on the throne.

METRO did an interview with Jenny Alexandersson, who is working for Svensk Damtidning and who follows Victoria on her trips abroad. Jenny tells, that firstly many ppl in Sweden´s society considered it as scandal, that Victoria didn´t date a noble guy* and she tells, that she got angry letters from (older) readers, who complained about her writing on Daniel. GrandDuchess, how much ink have you needed for that? ;)

*I wonder, if here anyone had ever really thought, she would end with a noble guy? I must say, that I actually never did. Of course there would have been some nice candidates (I can just again mention Prince Georg Friedrich von Hohenzollern :rolleyes: :wub: ) and there was (and is!) of course the possibility she would (have) end(ed) with a noble or even Royal guy as hubby, but somehow I saw and see it more as minor chance.
Needless to say, that the idea of Victoria dating her gym trainer (owner) was even farer away :wacko:

http://www.metro.se/se/article/2006/08/07/07/3501-23/index.xml

Last edited:
Lena said:
METRO did an interview with Jenny Alexandersson, who is working for Svensk Damtidning and who follows Victoria on her trips abroad. Jenny tells, that firstly many ppl in Sweden´s society considered it as scandal, that Victoria didn´t date a noble guy*
Knowing the Swedes, her readership mustv'e been awfully old demographically speaking, non?!

Lena said:
*I wonder, if here anyone had ever really thought, she would end with a noble guy? I must say, that I actually never did.
I never did, either, although she certainly looked good whenever photographed with Nikolaos of Greece or Philipe of Spain

Knowing the Swedes, her readership mustv'e been awfully old demographically speaking, non?!
I think by Society, Lena means the upperclass and the well brought up older women;) not mr and mrs average Swede. And yes Svensk damtidinig has an eh.. more grown up audience, in addition to royal stuff you also find pictures from the upper society parties, concerts, knitting recepies, how to make chocolate cake and how to loose weight:rolleyes: Still I suppose it is the best source for royal news of the glossy magazines in Sweden
I never did, either, although she certainly looked good whenever photographed with Nikolaos of Greece or Philipe of Spain
They certainly did but Victoria is a homemade cookie IMO, just like Haakon, I have always been certain both of them would marry someone from their own country. Besides Felipe was always a no-go for her, so I suppose it was quite safe for them to be pictured together, we never saw any pictures of Felipe and Madeleine together:lol:

I have a question. What do the swedish population think of Daniel and what do they think of this rather drawn out relationship? (Not to apply that there is anything wrong with long courtships.)

Every Swede that I have talked to just want Victoria to be happy and have no problem with the length of their courtship. That seems to be the problem for posters on this board mainly.

I think that the posters in this board,(me included), really want a royal wedding:)

It just seems strange that some gym owner and personal trainer could be father to the future Swedish sovereign. ...

btsnyder said:
It just seems strange that some gym owner and personal trainer could be father to the future Swedish sovereign. ...

Stranger things have happened...in Norway, for instance. :)
Oh, you could also think of him as a "successful businessman and entrepreneur", which sounds much more...successful.
Well, wait and see. Maybe they're about to split up anyway.

I wonder what the Swedish people would think if Victoria split up with Daniel in order to get engaged to a man who has a more appropriate background as a future consort of a queen? One not from Ockelbo, but from Östermalm, an academic, maybe one of the young diplomats of her actual training unit for example? Would they say she is not egalitarian enough (after all the Swedish people were fast to welcome their new foreogn-born commoner queen Silvia, so are obviously rather egalitarian in their views) and that her parents brought her into contact with all those potential marriage candidates in the Corps Diplomatique? Or would Sweden be happy that Daniel wasn't the one? I just wonder? How free in her decisions is the princess after all?

That's a good point Jo!

Also, does Victoria need permission of the King and Parliament before she marries? Similar to Great Britian.

Not sure about the monarch but yes she needs permission from Parliament.

Gita said:
Not sure about the monarch but yes she needs permission from Parliament.
Well, they won't get upset, will they? The Norwegian parliament allowed Mette-Marit and Hakoon to marry, and I've read this step was just a formality.

Hmm maybe they split up after the wedding meeting cause Victoria wanted to marry and tried to push him into that direction while he sayed no. That could be a reason for happy pictures before that serious conflict.

Last edited:
Would they say she is not egalitarian enough (after all the Swedish people were fast to welcome their new foreogn-born commoner queen Silvia, so are obviously rather egalitarian in their views) and that her parents brought her into contact with all those potential marriage candidates in the Corps Diplomatique? Or would Sweden be happy that Daniel wasn't the one? I just wonder? How free in her decisions is the princess after all?[/quote]

Silvia had a much better education and a more international background than Daniel.
Besides it is also more easy with a commoner from a different country because You have the whole bunch of relatives at a distance!

Well if her parents are uncomfortable with Daniel Westling, the could start a superhusband show on Swedish TV. Maybe a show like Sweden is looking for the super prince consort with Victoria as prize ore the Bachelorette with Victoria looking for a well educated hubby. I guess the Swedish TV stations would be very keen on hosting a show like this!

mixer2002de said:
Well if her parents are uncomfortable with Daniel Westling, the could start a superhusband show on Swedish TV. Maybe a show like Sweden is looking for the super prince consort with Victoria as prize ore the Bachelorette with Victoria looking for a well educated hubby. I guess the Swedish TV stations would be very keen on hosting a show like this!

And I guess the whole world would love to get the transmissions license for their country....:lol:

the difficulty for Victoria is that there are practically no precedents for a princess in her situation marrying a total commoner or marrying "unequal". Princes "Consort" that we konw e.g. Phillip, Claus, Bernhard, Henrik had a background in royalty, nobility or even the diplomatic corps which provide good, useful "training" for life as a royal or public figure. This young man Daniel has no background at all like this. I am sure he is a very good man, but coping with his wife in the limelight and in a position of power takes an exceptional man.

Of course many young women have taken this step (Mary, Maxima, Letizia, Mette-Marit etc.) but I believe it is a fact that women are more adaptable, more flexible. Lets face it: women all over the world have had centuries of experience adjusting to their husbands lives. Men generally don;t; of course its changing.

That said, I really do hope Daniel and Victoria will make a go of it if they are in love and want to share their lives.

If Victoria did marry Daniel I think he should not hold King Consort because many people would be not understand how this man could be king and his wife is queen regnant which means she is queen in her own right not because of marriage like her mother. Daniel should be make duke upon his marriage to Victoria and when she becomes queen then she will decide when she should make him Prince Consort.

Last edited:
If Victoria and Daniel marry in near future, Daniel will certainly not be a King Consort simply because Victoria is not a Queen.
Assuming they marry (if they marry) while Victoria is still Crown Princess, Daniel will be given a title of Duke (in my opinion). When Victoria accedes to the throne (again, assuming they'll be married by then), I assume Daniel will be Prince Consort + Duke of Something.

Furienna said:
This is why I say, that a queen's husband should become a king, just like a king's wife becomes a queen. A husband and a wife should be ranked equally. The title of king should not outrank the title of queen, which must be the case, since a king's wife can become a queen, but a queen's husband can't become a king. So when/if our crown princess Victoria or the norveigan princess Ingrid marry in the future, their husbands should be kings, when their wives are queens, not "just" princes.
That's one way to solve the problem, but I propose that:

The wife of a King should be called a Princess, or Princess Consort. (Prinsessgemål)

The husband of a Queen should be called a Prince, or Prince Consort. (Prinsgemål)

It is important to know who really is the Head of State, and if the title King is only used for a reigning King, and the title Queen is only used for a reigning Queen, it becomes much easier.

Back
Top Bottom