Daniel's Future: Discussion (his role, title, orders, pressure etc.)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think many royals walk side by side not really taking the above seriously, I could be wrong but it was once a protocol rule.
Victoria is thoroughly schooled in proper protocols and in maintaining a suitable royal appearance. Officially she is the crownprincess and next regent but privately Daniel is her husband and partner. She will not make them into Mr and Mrs Crownprincess.

So what exactly will he be expected to do? Will he be traveling all over the world making appearances? I hope that his new job description does not take him away from Victoria too much. I think too much time away can lead to a change of heart for some. I would hate to see them separated for long periods of time.

They've been together for several years now, I think if either of them were to have a change of heart if already would've happened. Daniel has gotten more comfortable with the media and many of the things that accompany life as a royal. I think they'll be happy together for a long time to come.

When Daniel became the Prince of Sweden, began his new life. After the honeymoon, at the end of August Daniel´s new duties will begin. As the spouse of the Crown Princess and the prince of Sweden Daniel is now an official representative of the royal family. On 21 August, Daniel will be with the rest of the royal family in Örebro. It is then 200 years to the day that Jean Baptiste Bernadotte was elected to the Swedish throne. The prince will also attend with the king and Queen and Victoria to the Karolinska Institutet's 200th anniversary at the end of August.
Sten Hedman, a royal expert, is convinced that the court and the king have a clear strategy for Daniel's role as Prince:
- The king will certainly give a large part of his workload to Victoria and Daniel. We will almost certainly see them represent the royal family to a large extent. I also believe that the king will give many of the longer foreign trips to the crown princess couple. There is also a good signal outside - fresh and new.
Jobbschemat redan klart för prins Daniel - Nyheter - Senaste nytt | Expressen

The King and Queen have in the past said that they hope CP Victoria will have the opportunity to start a family before she has to step in to the regent roll in order to not have too much travelling and time away from home and children. I believe the article just speculates that the King is ready to slow down. I doubt he is ready to step back. He is very comfortable and very involved in his role as a worlwide representative of Sweden and will most likely continue.

That is also why I believe that the couple will not wait long with having children. Both seem to me to be family oriented people who will want to spend time with their offspring, rather than traveling long and far and leave the little ones to nannies.

I think that Daniel will need some time to find his place as a Prince of Sweden and a member of the Swedish royal family. But once he did this I am sure he will act wonderfully and will be a very capable representative of his country and a great companion and husband to Victoria. Let us hope that both will be given the time to experience marriage and parentalship before they dedicate their lives completely to their country and royal duties. Victoria is known to be a workaholic and Daniel seems to be the same as well given that he worked very hard and successfull as an entrepreneur. I think they will both master what is ahead of them in the most wonderful manner.

Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg mentioned during a pre-wedding interview that she first met Daniel at Solliden within the first year Victoria and he started dating. That would mean that he has been around the royal family for at least 8 years. By now he must have a very good insight in to what his life will be like as the spouse to the Crown Princess. I don't think there is any reason to be worried about him or the life he will live from now on.

In Aftonbladet´s Plus version (must be payed) is an article of Daniel´s new life.

"It is important to let him do something he is passionate about"
From CEO to smiling prince of Sweden. Daniel Westling gave up his career for love.
Now, he gets payed by his father in law - and gets entirely new tasks.
The First Marshal of the Court Lars Hjalmar Wide from the swedish court says that Daniel has given up a lot of freedom for his wife.
Så blir Daniels nya liv | Aftonbladet

Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg mentioned during a pre-wedding interview that she first met Daniel at Solliden within the first year Victoria and he started dating. That would mean that he has been around the royal family for at least 8 years. By now he must have a very good insight in to what his life will be like as the spouse to the Crown Princess. I don't think there is any reason to be worried about him or the life he will live from now on.

I am reading Lindqvist's biography of Victoria. If I reconstruct Victoria's words well, she and Daniel already met in the second half of 2000. In the book Victoria says it took a year before they became a couple and again 6 months before anyone found out, even the close friends. That means they met for the first time 1,5 year before it was discovered. When was this, was this in May 2002?

I am reading Lindqvist's biography of Victoria. If I reconstruct Victoria's words well, she and Daniel already met in the second half of 2000. In the book Victoria says it took a year before they became a couple and again 6 months before anyone found out, even the close friends. That means they met for the first time 1,5 year before it was discovered. When was this, was this in May 2002?

Yes, in the 30th May 2002 Expressen wrote about that Daniel is Victoria´s new boyfriend. And in July 2002 Aftonbladet published a photo of them kissing.
Aftonbladet

Yes, in the 30th May 2002 Expressen wrote about that Daniel is Victoria´s new boyfriend.

So this means that they met late 2000. I remember now Victoria said in the book that it even took over 6 months before they told their best friends.

So this means that they met late 2000. I remember now Victoria said in the book that it even took over 6 months before they told their best friends.

Daniel said in his wedding speech: "Nine years ago I had the privilege to get to know a young woman..."

Daniel said in his wedding speech: "Nine years ago I had the privilege to get to know a young woman..."

I was thinking about that too, but Victoria really says in the book they kept the romance quiet for over 6 months and prior to that they got to know each other in a time span of 1 year. So May 2002 minus 1,5 year?

(not that it really matters..LOL)

I have read from many articles that Victoria and Daniel Collert broke up in 2001, and Victoria got to know Daniel Westling after that.

I have read from many articles that Victoria and Daniel Collert broke up in 2001, and Victoria got to know Daniel Westling after that.

I don't know if you read the biography, but from what I deduct from her own words is that they met in late 2000, after she got back from the USA. Maybe she broke up with this other Daniel earlier than she broke the news? If she kept it secret for six months, then they must have started to romantically date around New Year 2001-2002, minus a year they were just friends, that would mean they met at the latest in Jan 2001, but probably already in 2000 because she started to work out right after she arrived back. I think she was even quoted in the book.

It is wery possible that Daniel will be tasked as the one beeing on stage when the Jerringpris is handed out at the Idrottsgala in January.

The Womanfotball swedish Premier League have the crownprince Victoria prize for the winner and Daniel might be the one handing it over to the victor since he has played fotball as younger but Victoria havent. Her brother played a while for Brommapojkarna around the age of 6 to 8 or 9 according to tabloids i remember

Take the example of other male consorts: Henrik and Philip have always been Princes. I believe that is because King outranks Queen, there is no title such as King Consort.

The M´s can be styled Crown Princess (and Letizia Princess of Asturias) because they are heirs to the throne as Queen Consorts not as Queen Regent likeVictoria will. Prince for Daniel and Duke of something is just fine!

It is not fine. If they really aim for equality, they should treat male and female monarchy equally. If they still believe that a king outranks a queen, then they are hypocrites. There is absolutely no reason to treat Daniel differently from spouses of other heirs.

Daniel's title is perfect and equivalent to other consorts. It's the royal men's fate that they will not be called King as consorts although their female counterparts will receive the title of Queen (the appendix "consort" is rarely mentioned).

Wouldn't it then be correct to say that previous succession rules in Sweden were perfect because it was the royal women's fate not to reign? No. I too doubt he will be king but I don't think that's right.

Some people say that it's not customary for husbands of queens regnant to hold the title of king. Well, it's not been customary for a princess who has brothers to be heir to the Crown but there you have it. A breach of tradition.

Anyway, is it really possible to say "yay, they have equal primogeniture now", "men and women are equal" and then "king outranks queen" without being slightly hypocritical?

Anyway, is it really possible to say "yay, they have equal primogeniture now", "men and women are equal" and then "king outranks queen" without being slightly hypocritical?

That's true but 'King' is automatically associated with the head of state by a majority of people and thereby as outranking the Queen. A possible solution would be Prince/Princess Consort for the spouse of the monarch but I don't know if that would catch on.

On a related note, does Daniel take precedence over Carl Philip and Madeleine?

That's true but 'King' is automatically associated with the head of state by a majority of people and thereby as outranking the Queen. A possible solution would be Prince/Princess Consort for the spouse of the monarch but I don't know if that would catch on.

On a related note, does Daniel take precedence over Carl Philip and Madeleine?

Well in the UK, there has been talk of Camilla being the Princess Consort when Charles becomes King.

I would imagine in some cases he would, and in others he wouldn't.
Such as in the UK sometimes Princess Anne ranks higher than Camilla or Sophie because she is the natural daughter of the Queen, in others she ranks lower because she is a female, and Sophie and Camilla are spouses of male children.

If that makes any sense? :)

Well in the UK, there has been talk of Camilla being the Princess Consort when Charles becomes King.

I would imagine in some cases he would, and in others he wouldn't.
Such as in the UK sometimes Princess Anne ranks higher than Camilla or Sophie because she is the natural daughter of the Queen, in others she ranks lower because she is a female, and Sophie and Camilla are spouses of male children.

If that makes any sense? :)

Camilla ranks higher than Anne, she is the Princess of Wales, wife of the heir to the throne. When Charles becomes King, Camilla will become Queen, thats the constitution.
It her her business though how she wants to be known. Even though technically she is the PoW she decided to be known as DoC. Maybe one day she is technically Queen but decides to be known as Princess consort.

Just like a son has been automatically associated with being heir apparent. Things change. Wouldn't it be weird if Daniel is left as prince consort during Victoria's reign and then their hypothetical daughter-in-law becomes queen upon their hypothetical son's accession as king?

Just like a son has been automatically associated with being heir apparent. Things change. Wouldn't it be weird if Daniel is left as prince consort during Victoria's reign and then their hypothetical daughter-in-law becomes queen upon their hypothetical son's accession as king?

Yes it would! Well, I guess changing times bring a degree of awkwardness. Maybe there wouldn't be so much of a problem with a King Consort in the next generation? It may be even stranger if their hypothetical daughter's husband becomes King.

Same thoughts here. I don't think Victoria will let him walk 3 steps behind her, at the most only 1. Once he goes with the flow I believe she is more than happy to give him the space he deserves.

When i am out shopping with my mom i am perfectly happy with walking 3 steps behind her. That way i know what stores she thinks are best for our purpose. I dont think Daniel cares if he have to walk 3 steps behind his love, he will have a better wiew of her then after all:whistling:

Just a random question, shouldn't be Daniel referred to as HRH Prince Daniel?
I was reading SRF calendar on this board where he is referred to simply as Prince Daniel, but on the website of SRF he's referred to as HRH Prince Daniel, so which one is correct?

Just a random question, shouldn't be Daniel referred to as HRH Prince Daniel?
I was reading SRF calendar on this board where he is referred to simply as Prince Daniel, but on the website of SRF he's referred to as HRH Prince Daniel, so which one is correct?

Daniel's style and title in full: His Royal Highness Prince Daniel of Sweden, Duke of Västergötland.
It's probably easier to call him Prince Daniel.

Daniel's style and title in full: His Royal Highness Prince Daniel of Sweden, Duke of Västergötland.
It's probably easier to call him Prince Daniel.
Thank you, that's what I though! :flowers:
It just caugh my eye, since both Madeleine & CP were referred to as HRH, but Daniel not.

:previous:

In the forum calender, Daniel is referred to as HRH - just in conjunction with Victoria as 'TRH':

TRH Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel

I think it is excellent that Daniel is publically given credit for approaching his princely duties in a professional way. I also applaud the fact that his mentor is given credit for the continuing transformation as well.

Only the inner circle really know Daniel. As a Prince without a military background, he urgently needs to obtain a major charitable purpose - he needs a very big role in a very important good cause to give him a role in life.

Back
Top Bottom