Crown Princess Victoria's Official Visit to Australia: March 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Centre of the Royal World

defalco said:
What an exciting time to be in Australia!

Yes, its all happening!

And soon enough it will be all over, sob.

Oh well, a Royal Wedding to look forward to.

Hey! No crying! :p Being in the states we never get to see Royals. (And I'm about as far away from New York as Sweden is from Australia.) ;) So we don't get the news of royals on our shores. *sigh* Oh how I long for Prince William to get married. I think his wedding will stir up enough buzz that it might interest people in royals from other parts of the world. At least one could hope. :)

Warren said:
Yes, its all happening!

And soon enough it will be all over, sob.

Oh well, a Royal Wedding to look forward to.

defalco said:
Hey! No crying! :p Being in the states we never get to see Royals. (And I'm about as far away from New York as Sweden is from Australia.) ;) So we don't get the news of royals on our shores. *sigh* Oh how I long for Prince William to get married. I think his wedding will stir up enough buzz that it might interest people in royals from other parts of the world. At least one could hope. :)

there is a long thread here with photos of victoria visit the the US have you seen it?

Yes, I have...and I loved it! But the news where I live never reported about her visit. :( I'm just glad I've found such a wonderful place to keep up on all my favorite royals.

acording to the calander at the royal court webbsite she will be in australia 7 - 21 march

what princess victoria is doing

I just read in an article in the herald sun (melbourne paper) what princess victoria will be doing here in melbourne. first of all the article said about princess mary and prince charles because they have been / coming here but the last bit said about victoria
...The third reception, to be held at Champions Australia Racing Museum and Hall of Fame at Federation Square, is for Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden.
the Princess will also be quest of honour at the Swedish Style Gala Dinner at the Great Hall, National Gallery of Victoria, which will be hosted by the Swedish Ambassador, Karin Ehnbom-Palmquist and Jack Smorgon, chairman of Committee for Melbourne.
Also present as a special guest will be Mats Hellstrom, Governor of Stockholm.
Princess Victoria is young and beautiful. She's also single
The engagements in the article are confirmed but i dont know what daniel would think about the last sentence hehe :) The article also had a lovely little picture of Victoria next to it.
Anyway I hope this helps out in working out Princess Victorias agenda...I can't wait for her to come Australia. We have been so spoilt with royalty lately

I just saw on the calander that she will be in Australia on her name day. I thought she meets people in Stockholm on her name day. Am I mistaken?

smudge said:
I just read in an article in the herald sun (melbourne paper) what princess victoria will be doing here in melbourne. first of all the article said about princess mary and prince charles because they have been / coming here but the last bit said about victoria
...The third reception, to be held at Champions Australia Racing Museum and Hall of Fame at Federation Square, is for Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden.
the Princess will also be quest of honour at the Swedish Style Gala Dinner at the Great Hall, National Gallery of Victoria, which will be hosted by the Swedish Ambassador, Karin Ehnbom-Palmquist and Jack Smorgon, chairman of Committee for Melbourne.
Also present as a special guest will be Mats Hellstrom, Governor of Stockholm.
Princess Victoria is young and beautiful. She's also single
The engagements in the article are confirmed but i dont know what daniel would think about the last sentence hehe :) The article also had a lovely little picture of Victoria next to it.
Anyway I hope this helps out in working out Princess Victorias agenda...I can't wait for her to come Australia. We have been so spoilt with royalty lately

Thank you smudge. I wish there was some more information though about her whole visit here. It seems like its 'shrouded in mystery'. :p

HRH Crown Princess Victoria visits Australia to promote Sweden's smorgasbord of tourism attractions
Monday, February 21, 2005

A special royal event on Thursday March 17 will introduce Australia 's travel industry leaders to the delights of Sweden beyond Abba and sexy tennis stars.

35366.jpg
HRH Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden

A ‘Visit Sweden' presentation will be held from 10am-noon at the NSW Department of State and Regional Development in Sydney . It is part of the month-long Swedish Style in Australia promotion.

HRH Crown Princess Victoria is visiting Australia in her capacity as patron of Swedish Style and the 27 year-old heir to the Swedish throne will attend the ‘Visit Sweden' event.

Featured product will include beautiful Stockholm , Lapland and its amazing Icehotel, the enchanting ‘Göta Canal' journey, the ' Kingdom of Crystal ' in Kalmar , and wilderness adventures. Sailing legend Ludde Ingvall ( the winner of Sydney to Hobart 2004 with Nicorette) will be presenting his secrets of water adventures and sailing in Sweden .

‘Visit Sweden ' will be hosted by Bentours International, MyPlanet Australia , Scandinavian Airlines and the Swedish Travel & Tourism Council.

Swedish Style is the largest ever celebration of contemporary Sweden in Australia .

Events are planned throughout March in Melbourne and Sydney to showcase Swedish design, fashion, music, environmental sustainability and gastronomy as well as travel.

Swedish Style in Australia is an initiative of the Embassy of Sweden in Canberra , in close cooperation with the Swedish Trade Council and the nation's Swedish Business Community.

http://www.etravelblackboard.com/index.asp?id=35378&nav=33

Swedish Style

An article from the Herald Sun. http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,12413520%255E2862,00.html

Council's cold on ice sculptures
Fiona Hudson
02mar05

0,1658,422408,00.jpg

Cool design: ice sculptor Daniel Rosenbaum at work.

ORGANISERS of an ice sculpture display at Federation Square have been ordered to catch all drips to avoid polluting the Yarra River.

Quarantine officials expressed concern that tonnes of melting Arctic ice shipped from Sweden's Torne River -- among the world's purest -- could pose a hazard.

An elaborate drip-tray system will be used to catch any run-off from next week's four-day exhibition.

The giant blocks of ice were shipped at great expense more than 40,000km from the famous Icehotel in Lapland.

Swedish Style project manager Mia Nordstrom said she had not anticipated the hurdle.

"We're importing clean water to a city with water restrictions. We thought we were contributing something to Melbourne," she said.

"But they were really worried it would run down into the Yarra. We have to collect it all . . . we're not allowed to pour it out on to the grass next to Federation Square."

Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service spokesman Carson Creagh confirmed officials wanted all drips caught.

He said a Biosecurity Australia assessment had identified no particular pest or disease risk from the water.

It was a "normal, conservative approach" to direct the melted ice be collected and dispersed into the sewerage system, he said.

Artist Daniel Rosenbaum will use a chainsaw to sculpt two-tonne ice blocks into artworks at Federation Square daily from March 11-14.

A 2m tall block of the ice will also be used as a stage backdrop during a gala dinner for Sweden's Crown Princess Victoria at the National Gallery of Victoria.

Princess Victoria, 27, is visiting as patron of a month-long festival celebrating Swedish culture and design.

She arrives in Melbourne on Thursday March 10.

Her itinerary will include the gala dinner at the NGV, a trip to truck manufacturer Scania at Campbellfield, and a design exhibition at Federation Square.

While regarded as one of Europe's most eligible royals, she has been dating the same man since 2002. Net link: www.swedishstyle.com.au

Swedish princess to attend Sydney presentation

The heir to the Swedish throne, Princess Victoria, will attend a ‘Visit Sweden’ presentation in Sydney in March.

To be held at the NSW Department of State and Regional Development in Sydney on March 17 between 10am and 12 noon, Visit Sweden will be hosted by Bentours International, MyPlanet Australia, Scandinavian Airlines and the Swedish Travel & Tourism Board and is part of the month-long ‘Swedish Style in Australia’ promotion.

Princess Victoria is visiting Australia in her capacity as patron of Swedish Style.

Featured product will include Stockholm, Lapland and its Icehotel, the Göta Canal journey, the 'Kingdom of Crystal’ in Kalmar, and wilderness adventures.

Winner of the Sydney to Hobart 2004 with Nicorette, celebrated sailor Ludde Ingvall will also take part.

Events are planned throughout March in Melbourne and Sydney to showcase Swedish design, fashion, music, environmental sustainability and gastronomy as well as travel.

Swedish Style in Australia is an initiative of the Embassy of Sweden in Canberra in cooperation with the Swedish Trade Council and the nation’s Swedish business community.
18 February 2005

http://www.travelbiz.com.au/articles/f5/0c02cff5.asp

Josefine said:
a concert with pianist Robert WellsWill he do is repsey n rock show?
if you are in australia go and see the show
its great

If you live in Melbourne, here are the details about "Rhapsody in Rock"; the concert featuring Robert Wells. Check out the Swedish Style website. It has information about the activities/events/seminars etc, that will take place during Swedish Style. It's really nice that Eero Koivisto will be coming. I like his designs. :)

Melbourne
Date: Saturday 12 March 2005
Time: 8pm, doors open 7.30pm
Venue: Atrium Ampitheatre, Federation Square, Cnr Flinders and Swanston Streets
Content: Sweden’s second largest export is music. This concert with world famous Swedish artists, whom are performing for the first time ever in Australia, will feature pianist Robert Wells (Rhapsody in Rock), and Mezzo Soprano Katarina Fallholm. This exclusive concert will give you a taste of some of the finest Swedish music of today.
Admission: Free, seat reservation recommended, RSVP by 4 March 2005
Media contact: Frank Crews, ucomm, 0402 132 194 or frank.crews@ucomm.com.au

Thanks for the information and the articles. It´s great to have more concrete things for this visit.

marezdote said:
I just saw on the calander that she will be in Australia on her name day. I thought she meets people in Stockholm on her name day. Am I mistaken?
Correct, she has done that many years. Its a nice tradition for the people of Stockholm. I think one of the reasons "why" this has become a tradition, is that the princess always celebrates her birthdays on the isle of Öland.
And this have make the people of Stockholm jelous :)
Too bad that there wont be any celebrations on her nameday this year!

Sydney Morning Herald

Royal hunting - the last blood sport
February 28, 2005

Chasing foxes may have been banned in Britain, but the monarchy is still fair game for the media, writes Paul Sheehan.

Allow me to introduce a young woman who will become queen of one of the most civilised societies in the world - Victoria Ingrid Alice Desiree, Crown Princess of Sweden. She is 27, single, and begins her first visit to Australia in 10 days. It is the longest state visit she has undertaken.

Suddenly, it's royal season in Australia, and we might even learn something about ourselves in the process. It began over the weekend with the arrival of the future king and queen of Denmark, Frederik and Mary. The future King Charles of the United Kingdom and Commonwealth arrives today. The future Queen Victoria of Sweden arrives next week.

If the name Princess Victoria is unfamiliar, it is because the royal family of Sweden, like those of Denmark, Norway, the Netherlands and Belgium, gets on with the job with a minimum of fuss. The job is to contribute to social cohesion, historical continuity, cultural tradition and constitutional stability in a way that transcends the often divisive squabbles of democracy.
AdvertisementAdvertisement

This is exactly what the British royal family is also designed to do and for the most part does well. But unlike the royal families of Sweden, Denmark, Norway, the Netherlands and Belgium, the British royal family must deal with some complex residues of empire and, far more arduously, with the demands of a large, omnivorous, ruthless, class-ridden, hyper-competitive news media.

Royal blood means something altogether different to the British media. While fox- and hare-hunting have just been banned in Britain as blood sports, after enormous social ructions inside and outside Parliament, there is not and never will be any such relief for the royal foxes.

The packs of paparazzi never sleep. The tabloids must be fed every day. The British royal family has devolved into a subsidiary of Omnimedia Inc, serving as never-ending, high-rating, high-circulation media fodder, another reality television show. For all the pomp and circumstance and privilege of royalty, for all the lands and castles and wealth and pampering, the royals have become a hunted and exploited species.

If you think much of this has been self-inflicted, ask yourself how you would perform under such scrutiny? What would the media have made of your own youthful excesses, career stumbles, social indiscretions and failed relationships? How long and how well could you maintain your composure under the glare of constant observation and dissection? It is little wonder that three of the four marriages of the Queen's children ended in failure, each accompanied by an orgy of media voyeurism, in an almost self-fulfilling cycle.

It was also no coincidence that the greatest tragedy to befall the royal family in this era, the death of Princess Diana after a car crash in Paris in 1997, took place as a result of a high-speed media-avoidance exercise. The unrelenting pressure from the media is a constant theme in the 2003 book, A Royal Duty, by Paul Burrell, former butler and confidant to Princess Diana and footman to the Queen.

Although I was biased against this book before I read it (factotum gets his 30 pieces of media silver by betraying the trust of the family that employed him), A Royal Duty proved surprisingly lucid and honest. Despite an intense loyalty to Diana, Burrell portrays a fundamentally decent and productive family, especially the Queen and the redoubtable Princess Anne.

Armed with notes and letters written to him by Diana, he captures the sense of vulnerability that lay behind the glamour. He quotes a particularly poignant letter from Diana in October 1996, less than a year before her death: "I just long to hug my mother-in-law, and tell her how deeply I understand what goes on inside her. I understand the isolation, misconceptions and lies that surround her and feel very strongly HER disappointment and confusion. I so want the monarchy to survive and realise the changes that it will take to put 'the show' on a new and healthy track."

Burrell observes several times that Diana thought of moving to Australia, far from the royal family and the British press: "'Would you ever consider living there?' she asked ... I looked at her as if it were a joke. 'I'm serious!' she added." That all stopped after a visit to Australia in 1996: "She returned and waved goodbye to dreamy thoughts of living down under ... She felt it was 'primitive' compared to London, New York and Washington, and said she would have felt too isolated there."

Primitive would describe some of the patronising free-for-all directed at Prince Charles since plans for his marriage to Camilla Parker Bowles in April became mired in a bog of technicalities derived almost entirely from the unique legal and cultural status of the royal family. For years, Charles has endured a wildly disproportionate share of condescension from the media, much of it ideologically driven.

In Australia, every sneer directed at Charles or his family in the name of republicanism has served to cheapen the cause rather than advance it. In Australia the constitution itself, not the symbolic role of the royal family, has defined the republican debate. Until the republican movement can offer reforms that would improve a constitution which most Australians believe is in sound working order, republicanism will remain dead at the political box office in this country. That applies especially to calls for a directly elected president.

The republican movement still lives off the events of 30 years ago, when the Queen's representative in Australia, the governor-general Sir John Kerr, sacked the Whitlam Labor government. It is worth noting that in December 1975, while Australia was still awash with media-driven hysteria over the sacking, the government of Sweden embarked on reforming the monarchy. It moved to eliminate the vestige of feudalism in which precedence in the order of royal succession was given to male heirs.

Sweden ended this royal discrimination against women by passing the 1979 Act of Succession. Princess Victoria was two when the act became law. She is heir to the crown ahead of her brother, Prince Carl Philip. When Princess Victoria arrives in Sydney on March 16, she will be promoting greater trade and contacts between Sweden and Australia. Having reached productive age, she's been put in harness in the service of her country.

The Age

Royal gaze turns to Melbourne
March 7, 2005

It's a flush season for royals.

Victoria Ingrid Alice Desiree, Crown Princess of Sweden, Duchess of Vastergotland, will be in Melbourne mid-week as the titular head of "Swedish Style in Australia".

The event, which will be launched at a gala dinner on Thursday, is a celebration of all things Swedish (and excellence) in design, fashion, music, travel, environment and food.

While Australia has bid farewell to Prince Charles, Denmark's Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary will arrive in Melbourne on Thursday, having continued their public relations blitz in Sydney yesterday.

Clearly touched by the welcome they received at a Danish Lutheran church in Pennant Hills, the royal couple mingled with the record crowd, some of whom had been waiting since 5am. Dressed in a cream top and white-spotted black wrap skirt, Mary accepted bunches of flowers, while Frederik, in a beige suit, greeted some aspiring princesses.

Zoe Anstee, 7, was elated she was able to give Mary a packet of Fruit Tingles. "She's probably the best princess I've ever seen," Zoe said.

When she comes to Sydney i will go and See her too, I saw Mary and Frederik in Sydney on the Harbour, Saw Frederik few times on the Harbour b4 Mary arrived and i saw them at the Pennant Hills Danish Church, the Sydney Newspapers tell you what time they will be there at different events so, you can show up to show your support. I didn't see Charles not interested, but i will Go and see Victoria...

maybe any of our australien members can help us to celebrate her name day........

i think she left for australia today but it will take a while before she is in australia
how long flight can it be
it took me very many ours but i flow budget and i do not think she does

It's going to take a very, very long time. Poor Victoria! Australia is one of the worst countries, distance-wise, to get to, and it will make it longer if she has to stop over somewhere. People often stop over in Japan, but she's A Crown Princess, and would fly in luxury with the least number of disruptions, so maybe she won't have to stop.

is there any tour plan at the swedish ambassy in australia webbsite?

I had a look at the website, but there is nothing there. I went past the Shangri-La this morning (the hotel where Fred and Mary stayed) and they have now replaced the Danish flag with the Swedish flag. Does that mean that is where Victoria is staying as well? I've been looking for an on official website in the hope that it will mention something about her visit, but there is none. :(

Mamma Mia, here we go again
Shaunagh O'Connor
09mar05

IT uses the music of a Swedish supergroup, is set on a Greek island and has been translated into Japanese and Dutch.

Hit musical Mamma Mia is a global phenomenon and tonight is the night Melbourne has been waiting almost four years for: a return season of the feel-good show.

Packed with Abba chart toppers and seen by 20 million people worldwide, Mamma Mia opens tonight at Her Majesty's Theatre.

The musical, written by Abba's Benny Andersson and Bjorn Ulvaeus, was a sell-out when it opened in Melbourne in June 2001 and expectations are that it will do as well this time around.

Close to one in 10 Australians have seen a performance and Herald Sun theatre critic Chris Boyd said the return season would give those who have missed out "a chance to see what all the fuss is about".

But is it the most talked about theatre event of recent years?

"I would have said The Producers was, but then this is far more popular and it's hard to hate," Boyd said.

"Even theatre purists found it hard to hate."

Boyd called Mamma Mia the "safest bet" for theatre-goers looking for fabulous entertainment this autumn.

The show is a musical journey through the lives of single mother Donna living on a Greek island, her three former lovers, her betrothed daughter and the friends who once formed 1960s girl group Donna and the Dynamos.

The Melbourne season stars Silvie Paladino, Kellie Rode and Christopher Parker. The cast are to meet Sweden's Crown Princess Victoria on stage after their Sunday show as part of her official duties during a visit to Melbourne.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,12484461%255E2862,00.html

Heir comes another

FOR a country with alleged republican tendencies we have a lot of royal visitors around who are in line to a throne somewhere. This week sees the arrival of Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden, who will be welcomed at the National Gallery of Victoria on Thursday night. The eldest child of King Gustav and Queen Silvia, Vic is next in line to the throne after they very kindly changed the sex rule in 1980, allowing her to beat her younger brother Carl Philip to the top seat. European royals are also a tightly knit lot. Vic, Prince Charles and Prince Frederik are not only heirs to their respective thrones but are also cousins. Their great-grandmother was Queen Victoria.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,12470702%255E28737,00.html

I was reading that she's supposed to land on the 9th (today), but there's no news on whether she's arrived or not. :mad:

For the Aussies on the board: The programme Sunrise (a morning show) is going to have Victoria as guest in the studio tomorrow.
For more informations:
http://seven.com.au/sunrise

Maybe you can tell us then more about the interview tomorrow.

Thanks to redeye215, who has posted this on the crown princess Mary board.

that will be intresting i hope we have some poeple in australia who will see it and report about what was said

Lena said:
For the Aussies on the board: The programme Sunrise (a morning show) is going to have Victoria as guest in the studio tomorrow.
For more informations:
http://seven.com.au/sunrise

Maybe you can tell us then more about the interview tomorrow.

Thanks to redeye215, who has posted this on the crown princess Mary board.

Great information. Thanks for posting it. There are also chances for Aussies to win some great prizes:

"To celebrate the royal visit of Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden, Sunrise, Scandinavian Airlines, MyPlanet, Scania and Atlas Copco are giving you the opportunity to win the ultimate family trip to Sweden with $2,000 spending money.

http://seven.com.au/sunrise/competition_swedishstyle

You could win a $4,000 voucher for Ikea. That´s pretty good among other prizes. I hope our Australian friends will tell us about her appearance on TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom