Crown Princess Victoria at the Ball of the Order of Innocence: 1997

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
An very interesting post! And you´re right words have a different meaning for different people and it differs from culture to culture/time era to time era. If we would send Victoria to several tribes in Africa, they would probably call her skinny, because they have a more womanly (fatter) ideal. And if we would send her to France, they would probably call her big-boned, because women are generally more "petite" in France. And if we would send her to the old Greeks, she would probably be just right, because they had just such an ideal (trained, little muscular women/men).
Personally I would call her "slim, but muscular". Hollywood-starlets would I rather call thin, and some skinny (e.g Calista Flockhart). People like Mary D. would I call "fragile", she´s taller than Victoria, but she seems to have another bone structure. Even in her skinniest times Victoria didn´t look fragile, rather emaciated.

In english you have the word "Victory", so isn´t the first thing, which comes to a mind of an US-inhabitant (probably for the Brits it´s different) is "to win something", when someone says "Victoria"?

BTW The only thing which I like in these pictures is the hair length. The dress (independent from the skinny girl in it) looks cobbled together from a tailor-trainee in the first term!

Yes, Victory but I meant directly. Mary has a fragile look on her face to begin with and I hope she does put on some pounds. She was looking rather skinny there. I wouldn't call her muscular because it's for women a lot more muscular than Victoria.

Originally posted by Lena+Nov 16th, 2003 - 3:29 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lena @ Nov 16th, 2003 - 3:29 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dennism@Nov 16th, 2003 - 3:04 pm
While the beauty of Victoria never diminishes, these photos do make me sad though.
#And then the "journalist" wrote a long story about Victoria´s look ("Victoria has changed from a roly-poly to a beautiful swan...blalbla) and after that he wrote (in the article!), that the court has confirmed her eating disorder. *sigh* [/b][/quote]
Well, nowadays it seems to be beautiful to be sick... :(

Sadly Helen is right. That perception is out there. Revive Ophelia!

...Wow, well why don't we just say that Victoria's "healthy" and leave it at that. :blink:

Because this is a DISCUSSION board and btw I´m improving my english (ok, an little bit egoistic reason ;) ) through Dennism´s and KC´s knowledge.
But yes, she SEEMS to be healthy.

I for one, don't enjoy looking at the pictures of Victoria in the year of 1997.

I for one, am glad that Victoria has faced up to her eating disorder, and is the better of it.

I for one, am one of a legion in her "peanut gallery" cheering her on in her duties and accomplishments.

Of course she doesn´t look healthy on those pics. But this is a PART of Victoria´s life. Yes, she says now, that she was "ugly" at that time. But I think the only one, who is allowed to say that is her.
I wonder if you said such things even then (in 1997)...(and I´m quite sure, that she gets feedback) just imagine, that you become aware, that people are thinking you are ugly. And I wonder if you say the same, about an anorexic you spot on the street.
yes, she´s healthy now, but she IS the person, who has damaged her body that way in 1997, and (I know, that she probably don´t read here) I know, that I would feel ashamed, when someone would talk about my behaviour and would describe my look in offending words (skin on stick...don´t enjoy looking at the pictures). The tabloids did the same in 1997, they just wrote about her eating disorder, but no one cared about the girl behind the disorder or behind the crown princess.
Yes, I´ve done the same, but I will stop now-Amen ;)

Originally posted by King Christian@Nov 17th, 2003 - 7:32 pm

I for one, am one of a legion in her "peanut gallery" cheering her on in her duties and accomplishments.
I could say now, that you were involved in a lot of superficial discussions in the last weeks, but I don´t :p

Superficial ?
I think you are mistaken. Humour, yes. :innocent: :flower:

Originally posted by King Christian@Nov 17th, 2003 - 7:59 pm
Superficial ?
I think you are mistaken.  Humour, yes. :innocent:  :flower:
haha, have you read the long post of Dennis, how people have different/the same names for different/the same things :p
But I agree, "humour" sounds nicer than "gossip" ;) :flower:

ah yes ... different names, different definitions, different origins, different understandings.

I also find, if I get out of bed on the wrong side, that is an additional factor :shock:

Cool it everybody.

Vänta lite, ta det lugnt.

Healthy is a good description in comparison. However, what consists of being healthy is
culturally determined.

An more uncontroversial question/ statement: Why do Victoria and Madeleine wear those long white gloves at the innocence ball? I remember that Victoria has just once before worn such glooves, and never again after this ball. And I´ve seen Madeleine never before with such gloves.
I think they should wear such gloves more often, for me (Disney+historical movie-addict) are such glooves characteristic for a princess :rolleyes:

White= innocence, purity. Seems to be the only reason and its probably the historical precedent with that as well.

I wonder if it´s in Sweden common to act as debutant. I know that it´s quite common all over europe, but I´m not sure about Sweden. Surely you will ask what this is: Young men and young girls (age 15-20) attend a dance course (classical dance-waltz, foxtrot...) and then they show at a ball, what they have learnt. The girls are wearing white dresses and mostly such white gloves. The most famous ball, where debutants appear is the "Wiener Opernball" (look at the picture. In the first row, are always children of diplomats and aristocrats).
So I wonder where have the three Royal children learned to dance?! Yeeeennnnnniiiiieeee-master class question for you ;)

@Dennism
nice avatar. Are you an admirer of JFK?

titel.gif

OT: Lena, have you ever been at the Wiener Opern Ball ?

"So I wonder where have the three Royal children learned to dance?"
I imagine teachers were brought to the palace .....

Nope, as "normal" person you don´t get there. The only possibility would be to act as debutant, but you have to be a really good dancer.
And maybe they have a lottery-system, where you can get cards (when you are lucky). It´s the same with the new year´s concert of the Vienna philharmonic orchestra, but there I´ve once "won" tickets ("won" is not completely right, because I still had to pay almost 400 EUR for two tickets-that was a birthday present for my father).
And I guess as "normal" person you also don´t get to this Innocence ball. It would have been interesting if Victoria would have attended with Daniel :muscles: II

Lena  Posted: Nov 18th, 2003 - 11:17 am
And I guess as "normal" person you also don´t get to this Innocence ball.
I imagine you are so very right .. if your parents own less than 1% of Sweden, you're not eligible.

And you could be right, they had probably teachers. But I think Victoria is not fond of dancing (waltz...), because she once said, that she tries (at the nobel prize award ball) to slink out of the hall, when the dances start. ;)

Originally posted by King Christian@Nov 18th, 2003 - 11:21 am
Lena  Posted: Nov 18th, 2003 - 11:17 am
And I guess as "normal" person you also don´t get to this Innocence ball.
I imagine you are so very right .. if your parents own less than 1% of Sweden, you're not eligible.
Yes, seems so. But it would be nice, if they would have a lottery-system too...Yennie could go for us, and report. ;)

That's priceless :) not fond of dancing. Victoria's my type of girl

I know that you can get an invitation to the ball if you know someone who is already a member... The same goes for the Amaranter ball...
I´ll look around :p

Why is Victoria only wearing one glove? I had thought maybe she had just removed one for a short time, but in all the pictures she has on only one glove...

When you look in the first pictures you can spot a white thing in her right hand...and that´s the second glove. Probably she wanted to have her right hand uncovered, or it slid of her arm (the gloves are too big...I guess you can buy them smaller, but maybe she hadn´t the time to do).
And Yennie, when you are member, then I know a member, so then I could be a member too :woot: And step to step, we LTR´s are all members (catchword:ponzi scheme) ;)

she took of her glove when she shoked(sp?!) hands.

and Lena, I´ll work on that :p

"Dennism
nice avatar. Are you an admirer of JFK?"

Yes, in tribute for this sad week.

"But I think Victoria is not fond of dancing (waltz...), " :eek:

Maybe she needs the right teacher.

That being said, I'd be too nervous to dance in front of so many people knowing that so many eyes would be on me and my partner. Well, mostly my partner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom