Crown Princess Victoria & Daniel Westling: Relationship Discussion (2002-2007)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Court reporter" Norbert Loh in his weekly column ( http://www.aktuelle.de/aktuelle/content/akt_bei_hofe.php ):

In der vergangenen Woche gab es Spekulationen um eine Hochzeit von Kronprinzessin Victoria von Schweden mit Daniel Westling. Die große schwedische Tageszeitung "Aftonbladet" hatte von einer bevorstehenden Verlobung geschrieben. Ich erkundigte mich im Stockholmer Palast bei der Presse-Chefin Ann-Christine Jernberg. Auf meine Frage, ob wir mit einer baldigen Verlobung der Kronprinzessin rechnen können, sagte sie: "Nein". Neuerdings dementiert der Königshof Zeitungsartikel aus der schwedischen Tagespresse auf seiner Internetseite: www.royalcourt.se

In the last week there were speculations about a wedding of crown princess Victoria of Sweden to Daniel Westling. The big daily newspaper "Aftonbladet" has written about an forthcoming engagement. I got informations at the Royal court from the press chief of the court Ann-Christine Jernberg. On my question, if we can count on an forthcoming engagement, she said: "no".
Of late the Royal court comments articles of/in the swedish press on its homepage: www.royalcourt.se

Translation of article from Expressen today (http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=202190):

Victoria about her love problems
Now Victoria is reveals her love troubles. In an interview by Linda Nyberg in “Helt ärligt” on TV4 tomorrow night, she tells about Daniel Westling.
- It’s not easy to all of a sudden get attention. To become someone who gets reviewed.

TV4’s profile Linda Nyberg recently travelled together with Victoria in Hungary. The Crown Princess was there for the Swedish-Hungarian trade days. Linda Nyberg was the only TV journalist who got an interview with Victoria, and the result is aired tomorrow night in “Helt ärligt” 20:00 PM on TV4.

Many wrong things are written
In the interview, Victoria tells about her and Daniel Westling’s not always so problem free relationship:
- It’s not always so easy to be together with me, but I think that applies to all people who are in the spotlight.
- If you come in from the side, from totally private to this, because of love, it’s no doubt a new situation.
Victoria says in the interview that many wrong things are written about Daniel Westling:
- Many people speculate, but someday there will probably be some justice even there.

The people decides
Victoria has never thought about giving up her place in the Line of Succession.
- No, that alternative doesn’t exist for me. As long as the Swedish people things one does a good job…. It’s really up to the Swedish people.
- Besides, the monarchy is a good and important heritage that we should cherish.
In the interview with Linda Nyberg, Victoria also says that she has difficulties saying no to official engagements:
- But I’ve improved. It’s about knowing your limits. If you run yourself out, you don’t do a good job.

By Johan T Lindwall

GrandDuchess said:
- Many people speculate, but someday there will probably be some justice even there.

Thank you, GrandDuchess...this sentence leaves a lot of space for (even more ;) ) speculations. Justice? What does that mean? Sounds like a sentence of G.W. Bush ;)

Has anyone noticed the new Point de Vue?? There is an article in it (a little one) that an engagement is on the way.

Victorias pojkvän blir slottsherre

WESTLINGS LYXIGA DRÖMPROJEKT Daniel Westling och hans kollega Benny Johansson planerar ett exklusivt massageinstitut i Ulvsunda slott i Bromma. Men först ska slottets 54 hotellrum byggas färdigt.
Foto: MATTIAS CARLSSON

Startar massageinstitut i Bromma

Nu har Daniel Westling hittat sitt drömprojekt.
Nästa år öppnar kronprinsessan Victorias pojkvän ett exklusivt massageinstitut på Ulvsunda slott.
Sedan Daniel Westling blev tillsammans med kronprinsessan har hans lyxgym Master Training på Regeringsgatan i Stockholm mångdubblat sin vinst.
Den rika kundkretsen har svällt och i vissa perioder har gymmet haft svårt att ta emot nya medlemmar.

Utökar efter nyår
Tillsammans med kompanjonen Benny Johansson öppnade Daniel därför ett nytt gym på Nybrogatan, där bland annat kronprinsessan Victoria och prinsessan Madeleine regelbundet tränar.
Efter nyår utökar nu Daniel Westling sin verksamhet ytterligare.
Han och kollegan öppnar han nu ett exklusivt massage- och friskvårdsinstitut på Ulvsunda slott i Bromma i Stockholm.

Massage & yoga
- Vi har planer på en må-bra-avdelningmed inriktning på massage och olika former av avslappning och yoga. Om vi kallar det för Ulvsunda massageinstitut eller nåt annat vet jag inte i dag, säger Lars Tisell, marknadschef på Ulvsunda slott.
Enligt uppgifter blir två av Daniels samarbetspartners de exklusiva skönhetsmärkena Decléor och Carita.

54 rum byggs om
Om allt går enligt planerna slår Westling och Johansson upp portarna under 2005.
Men först ska de 54 hotellrummen i de olika flyglarna byggas färdigt.

For those who aren´t familiar with swedish: Daniel and his companion Benny will start an massage and relaxing (yoga...) institute in Ulvsunda-castle (54 rooms) in Bromma (so not too far away from his Vicky ;) ) The business should/will be started in 2005.

This expanding of the business...don´t understand that. I mean this project (changing a castle to a spa-center) is probably extremely expensive. And it will last several years to get the money back through incomes. But this would mean, that Daniel has to stay co-partner (?)

Interesting

I do remember that sometime ago that there was a discussion in these forums that if Daniel were to marry Victoria he would most likely have to give his business up.

So we have another new business venture. Do you think that there is the possibility now, in the near future of an engagement? Could he still run his business if he married Victoria?

Lena said:
This expanding of the business...don´t understand that. I mean this project (changing a castle to a spa-center) is probably extremely expensive. And it will last several years to get the money back through incomes. But this would mean, that Daniel has to stay co-partner (?)
Maybe Daniel is just... hows that called a temporary partner for an amount of time... do not know the term in English

mixer2002de said:
Maybe Daniel is just... hows that called a temporary partner for an amount of time... do not know the term in English
I think the term you mean doesn´t exist in english. I´m even not sure, if it exists in the official german language, but was created a few years ago of women´s and lifestyle magazines.

But your theory is interesting...maybe it´s indeed just temporary. Do you also think that both partners agree on this? Or that one (the female part) wants more?

To Gitas question...I don´t think, that he can keep this business. I could imagine that he could stay financial co-partner for several years. But he couldn´t go on to work as personal trainer or administrator...no way.

Lena said:
But your theory is interesting...maybe it´s indeed just temporary. Do you also think that both partners agree on this? Or that one (the female part) wants more?

Well that came to my mind as I think pushing a company and than have to give it up is irrational. I do not think that someone would do that.

Marry a CP ==> give up your job/business

can be taken as a rule, at least I think so, but maybe i am just old style and Sweden is more modern then the rest is trash.

Well I think the female part realizes that this is a sign contra marriage... But I am unsure wether both of them agree on that or somebody wants more. Females always stay a mystery :)

A further conclusion is impossible, I think.

mixer2002de said:
Maybe Daniel is just... hows that called a temporary partner for an amount of time...
I don't believe this for one cent - Victoria is a far too serious person to ever have a relationship like that. I think their relationship is very serious indeed.

Gita said:
So we have another new business venture. Do you think that there is the possibility now, in the near future of an engagement? Could he still run his business if he married Victoria?
If Victoria and Daniel decide to get married and become engaged, I think they are gonna have to make a lot of arrangements on Daniel's behalf on forehand. I don't think he could continue as a partner and half-owner, he would have to sell his share, and he would not be able to work as a normal person either. The Royal Family have always been very careful not to be directly linked to any company so that they benefit that way (with Daniel being an exception, since he's Victoria's boyfriend, and no matter what the Court says - it has indeed benefited his private company). So this new business thing for Daniel's gym, I would say, points to no engagement at this time. I think that Victoria and he must have discussed this, and they both know that if they someday decide to announce their love to the world (meaning engagement) - a stage like this is Daniel's business life not a good time.

Last edited:
Gita said:
I do remember that sometime ago that there was a discussion in these forums that if Daniel were to marry Victoria he would most likely have to give his business up.

i think Daniel is eyeing "pocket money" to be (somewhat) financially independent after he marries Victoria.

it would certain strengthen his individuality and what he would do with his life, as opposed to living life on "hand outs" from his wife, the Queen.

on the basis of information obtained over many years from the media, a "chain" attracts a more attractive purchase price than one location. One location denotes a struggle, while a "chain" is a successful idea that can be sold via franchises and leap-frogged elsewhere.

and from what I gather, there is a certain clique of Swedes who benefit greatly from the Royals ... witness earlier stories about Madde et al not having to paying for drinks at posh locales and for their clothing .... so perhaps there are prospective buyers in the wings who covet the "royal" beginnings / attachment?

This Daniel Westling seems to be leading Victoria on a bit, or at least it seems to me that he blows hot and cold with her.

If he were serious about their relationship and planned on becoming engaged to her in the near future, and knowing that the royal court likes to distance itself from businesses that might seem to be taking advantage of the prestige and attention of the royal court, why would he take on this new business venture? One would think that he would start to disassociate himself from the gym business and take steps to selling his share of the business. Yet he seems to be digging himself in deeper and deeper, and hence further and further away from marriage to Victoria.

I wonder what she sees in him exactly? To me at least, he isn't that good looking and by appearances and his reactions to the paprazzi he seems like a jerk. I know that dealing with the paprazzi can be a pain in the a** but did anyone ever tell him that you can catch more flies with honey? He's always sneering and glaring at them so that he always looks like an angry person (sort of like the King). He doesn't seem friendly or approachable at all either.

And I get the feeling that he is insecure in his relationship with Victoria, probably because she naturally gets all the attention. Maybe he feels less of a man with her because she has such an important future ahead of her and he would only be number two and number three when they have kids.

Han vill inte visa sig med Victoria

SKYR UPPMÄRKSAMHETEN Daniel Westling har inte vant sig vid uppmärksamheten som kronprinsessans pojkvän. Nu ser han till att inte visa sig offentligt med Victoria och att de går olika vägar när de är ute. - Daniel mår dåligt, säger en av vännerna.
Foto: PER-OLOF SÄNNÅS

Daniel Westling vill inte längre visa sig med sin flickvän kronprinsessan Victoria. I stället smyger han in och ut genom bakdörrar.
- Om förhållandet spricker beror det på just detta, säger en av parets vänner.
Kronprinsessan Victorias och Daniel Westlings känslor för varandra är starka. Men det finns ett bekymmer i deras förhållande: hans skygghet.
Trots att Daniel Westling varit kronprinsessans pojkvän i snart tre år har han inte vant sig vid den uppmärksamheten.
- Daniel mår dåligt av att bli igenkänd, och att bli fotograferad privat ska vi inte ens tala om, berättar en av vännerna.

Smugglades in
När en kändisfest anordnades på innekrogen Sturecompagniet för en tid sedan smugglades Daniel Westling in bakvägen till ett speciellt vip-rum. På hans eget initiativ - för att slippa fotograferna.
Victorias pojkvän har vid flera tillfällen hamnat i bråk med journalister. När Daniel för två somrar sedan skällde ut en reporter på Öland suckade Victoria:
- Det är inte så lätt för honom. Han är helt ny i den här leken.
Victoria har diskuterat problemet med både sina syskon och de närmaste vännerna.
Tidigare har hon och Daniel rört sig rätt fritt i Stockholms city. Inte nu längre.
Enligt Aftonbladets uppgiftslämnare tycker Daniel att det känns obehagligt att exempelvis bli fotograferad med Victoria på stan.
När paret har tränat har därför Victoria valt att lämna lokalen ensam, samtidigt som Daniel smugit ut en annan väg.
- Han känner sig frustrerad och påpassad. Jag tror inte att han förstår varför intresset är så stort kring honom, säger vännen.

Måste vänja sig
Privat har Victoria och Daniel talat om sitt kärleksbekymmer. Båda vet att Daniel måste vänja sig vid ett liv i rampljuset.
- Det är nog inte helt lätt att vara tillsammans med mig, men det gäller nog alla som är i blickfånget, sa Victoria i den TV4-intervju som sändes i onsdags.
Victorias förra pojkvän Daniel Collert bröt förhållandet när uppmärksamheten kring honom blev för stor.
-Det skulle vara en mardröm för henne om samma sak skulle hända igen, säger vännen.

Daniel Nyhlén
Publicerad: 2004-11-07

Summary of the article posted by Yennie:

Here is my little summary - in English - voilá:

Daniel Westling doesn’t want to be seen with the Crown Princess anymore. Instead he sneaks out and in through back doors. His shyness is a big problem, despite that their relationship has been going on for three years – he hasn’t gotten used to the attention. The “friend” quoted in this article says that if their relationship would break up, it would be because of this. He also says that Daniel doesn’t “feel good” being known in the streets by people, not to talk about being photographed in private. The article says that a while back, when a party was held at Sturecompagniet, Daniel was smuggled in through the back door to a VIP room on his own initiative – to get rid of photographers. It also says that Daniel and Victoria doesn’t move about so easily in the city as they used to, and that he feels that it’s uncomfortable/unpleasant to be photographed with Victoria in the city. When Victoria has worked out at the gym for example, she has left the building alone and Daniel has sneaked out another way. The “friend” in this article says that he feels frustrated and doesn’t understand the big interest in him.

Gita said:
I hope that they don't split up and that things work out for them. Victoria seems very keen on Daniel and she loves him dearly. Not that I am suggesting that Daniel does not feel the same but it would be nice to see Victoria settled down and happy.
Who Wouldn't. But there is a lot of place for speculations...

Gita said:
I hope that they don't split up and that things work out for them. Victoria seems very keen on Daniel and she loves him dearly. Not that I am suggesting that Daniel does not feel the same but it would be nice to see Victoria settled down and happy.

Frankly, if this early on he can't handle certain aspects of being a royal, I don't think he'll make Victoria happy in the long run. If he's unhappy and she loves him, then she'll be unhappy as well and be helpless to do something about it. Unfortunately for them, Victoria has been born into a terribly huge position that entails incredible sacrifices. If he cannot get used to "what comes with the territory" of being a potential Prince Consort, then he isn't the right person for the job of Prince Consort or even simpler, he isn't the right one for Victoria.

Sorry, Daniel, but paparazzi are always in the lives of royalty and those who might be interested in being a part of royalty.

Genevieve said:
I wonder what she sees in him exactly?

And I get the feeling that he is insecure in his relationship with Victoria, probably because she naturally gets all the attention. Maybe he feels less of a man with her because she has such an important future ahead of her and he would only be number two
These are all very good points you make.

I agree with your assessment of Daniel "as seen from Victoria's eyes" .. could it be a case too, of (monumental) insecurity from her side ?
I mean, she is going (by a changed law) be the QUEEN.
She has no role models of Swedish origin in this regard.
So, a "learning curve" every step of the way ..... must be stressful.
And then to 'know' that one has not gone to university like one's peers nor to have done military service ...

On his side, that is a man thing, to have insecurity in not being the "breadwinner". I am inclined to think that Victoria might be better off with a diffident bookish Ph.D. history type who's smart enough not to be offended about his (future) wife's duties.
Daniel, I think and sympathize for him, has made it far .... an average guy from a small town, made a name for himself in the BIG city, fell in with the right group, knows (with time) that he's flying far above his comfort zone and doesn't want to burn on falling and landing.

hrhcp said:
These are all very good points you make.

On his side, that is a man thing, to have insecurity in not being the "breadwinner". I am inclined to think that Victoria might be better off with a diffident bookish Ph.D. history type who's smart enough not to be offended about his (future) wife's duties.
So you would suggest a guy with the opinion " I do it for the monarchy?". How a lousy guy would that be? A man with this attitude would be the worst Prince Consort I could imagine.

mixer2002de said:
So you would suggest a guy with the opinion " I do it for the monarchy?". How a lousy guy would that be? A man with this attitude would be the worst Prince Consort I could imagine.
Yes, but what about one in between? A mix between a shy publicity-hating guy (an other term for that is nowadays "Westling") and a monarchist.
I wasn´t here the last days, and I´ve now read you posts...very interesting points. You make me thinking about aspects, I haven´t thought before. But it´s also confusing for me. Personally I can´t say anmyore, what I should think about Daniel Westling. There are so many different informations.:confused: I can only say, that I would have chosen an other guy for her (Daniel I), but I also respect love as the highest power in life. And when it´s love between them it should work.

Lena said:
Yes, but what about one in between? A mix between a shy publicity-hating guy (an other term for that is nowadays "Westling") and a monarchist.
I wasn´t here the last days, and I´ve now read you posts...very interesting points. You make me thinking about aspects, I haven´t thought before. But it´s also confusing for me. Personally I can´t say anmyore, what I should think about Daniel Westling. There are so many different informations.:confused: I can only say, that I would have chosen an other guy for her (Daniel I), but I also respect love as the highest power in life. And when it´s love between them it should work.
So D2! O.K. I do not think he will gain a Ph.D. but you do not need that. Maybe medicine men and women need that. Well i expected an engagement till the end of the year, but i think its getting more unlikely.After all that reports here..

Last edited:
mixer2002de said:
So D2! O.K. I do not think he will gain a Ph.D. but you do not need that. Maybe medicine men and women need that. Well i expected an engagement till the end of the year, but i think its getting more unlikely.
More unlikely 2004...so what is your guess now?

At the current stage I tend to a split up sooner or later (max amount of time 6 months). But on the other hand side I do not think that it is possible to make estimations on an acceptable level of security at this point of time. So I would not bet on that.

A ring on Victoria's finger

I think that if they were to get married it will be summer 2005 with an engagement in January or February of next year.

what kind of signs do you look for to see a future engagement

Engagement

I did not say I dislike your "no" statement, I am only guessing that if there is an engagement it won't be this year now.

I agree, with the announcement of the new "Spa" I just don't see an engagement announcement coming up by the of this year-however I do think there will be one with in the next year...couldn't tell you why though...just a feeling I get (and it's more a feeling of someone in the Swedish Royal Family will be getting engaged...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom