Christening of Princess Estelle: May 22, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love how Estelle always seems to look a little skeptical, like she's pretty sure everyone else is up to something but can't quite figure out what. She's a truly adorable baby.
I thought it was a very nice christening. I actually guessed correctly for all five of the godparents - a personal best! Unlike some I don't think it's especially strange that Mary was chosen instead of Frederik. I do think if Estelle had been a boy Frederik might have been chosen instead but, IMO at least, it would be somewhat strange for a little girl to have only one out of her five godparents be female. I imagine Frederik will be one of their next child's godparents. But above all, the fact that they gave the baby Mary as one of her names seems indicative to me that CP Mary was chosen mainly as a close personal friend.

I like the monogram, so elegant.

Victoria and Daniel seem such nice people. They're totally smitten with their daughter.

I loved the faces Estelle made, she's cute.

And I think the royal webmaster did a good job. So much information about the old customs.
I like the fact that the name of the babies are sewn into the christening gown.

For me a bit too much pomp and circumstance for a christening: the men in uniform, the order for a little baby, the countdown on the website, only the royal grandparents sitting next to mum and dad.
But maybe that's because I'm not used to it. My (belgian) royal christenings are quiet private affairs.

Fashionwise IMO aunt Madeleine was the most beautifully dressed.
As for Chris and Sofia being there: I think it's nice for Carl Philip and Madeleine that their partners could attend.

For Stephanie this christening was a perfect opportunity to meet most of Guillaume's colleagues before their own marriage.

Last edited:
I watched a bit when it aired but it was 3am here so I couldn't watch much but Victoria and Daniel look soo happy. I couldn't help but smile with them.

I love how Estelle always seems to look a little skeptical, like she's pretty sure everyone else is up to something but can't quite figure out what. She's a truly adorable baby.
I thought it was a very nice christening. I actually guessed correctly for all five of the godparents - a personal best! Unlike some I don't think it's especially strange that Mary was chosen instead of Frederik. I do think if Estelle had been a boy Frederik might have been chosen instead but, IMO at least, it would be somewhat strange for a little girl to have only one out of her five godparents be female. I imagine Frederik will be one of their next child's godparents. But above all, the fact that they gave the baby Mary as one of her names seems indicative to me that CP Mary was chosen mainly as a close personal friend.

completely agree. Frederik must be proud that his wife was chosen by his close personal friend Victoria

lovely event.
thanks to everyone for the links :flowers:

Very nice. Daniel looks so proud and he seems very relaxed and at ease whereas before, he seems a bit tentative. I guess he is now used to being in the public eye.

Although I loved Victoria's dress I'm underwhelmed by her hat. I thought all the other royal ladies looked fabulous ... although Queen Margrethe left much to be desired.

Does anyone know why Willem-Alexander and Frederik didn't wear their military uniforms whereas the other men did?

completely agree. Frederik must be proud that his wife was chosen by his close personal friend Victoria

lovely event.
thanks to everyone for the links :flowers:

I agree, and I didn't think it was weird if Mary were chosen over Frederick at all either.

camelot23ca said:

I love that too!. She's already seems to have quite the little personality. It wouldn't surprise me if she becomes a spirited little girl in the comming years (like Princess Isabella!).

Totally enjoying the pictures and clips from today - Can't wait for SVT to upload all the footage!!

so beautiful chistening! victoria have a perfect family! the little princess estelle is very cute. It's the first time I see a royal baby with an condecorartion! she look so adorable. somebosy know if will be official photos?

I was lucky to watch the beginning of the ceremony (it was shown on a big screen in a restaurant I went to, but without sound) and just as I came home I watched some videoclips. From what I've seen it was a really beautiful christening, the little family looked so happy and sweet :wub:

And little Estelle is sooo adorable! I loved the look on her face and how calm she was all the time, and I love how she fell asleep after the ceremony (or did she just have her eyes closed because of all the sunlight and flashlights?).
I also loved that Daniel was carrying her in the beginning!

I hope SVT will keep their promise and upload the whole ceremony this evening :flowers:

Last edited:
W-A was a gentleman letting Prince Daniel's parent's into the front...

previous.gif
I noticed the same. It was a really nice gesture from WA!

"Hola" Bautizo Real de la princesa Estelle ** Google Translate

Guillemo y Máxima de Holanda, Federico y Mary de Dinamarca... La realeza arropa a la princesa Estelle en su Bautizo Real ** Google Translate

Last edited:
Part 2 of SVT broadcast now up. Only 35 minutes, though so it doesn't look very promising. Wish I spoke Swedish. The part worth watching starts at 20:53.
Det kungliga dopet | SVT Play

Seems like this was after the Christening. Now where's the actual ceremony?

Last edited:
Little Estelle has so much personality at such a young age! I think she knew she was the star of the show with the way she was looking around at everything at the beginning of the ceremony. But I'm not surprised, having seen how active she was in the womb during the Nobel Prize ceremony.

I have rarely seen King Carl Gustaf smile, but he did so twice during the ceremony while looking at Estelle in her mother's arms. Perhaps becoming a grandfather might soften him a bit and help improve his image.

I wasn't too sure that the archbishop knew how to hold a baby when Victoria handed over Estelle. There was definitely a sigh of relief when he handed the baby back. Also, that little noise Estelle made and Victoria's reaction was priceless! :ROFLMAO:

I saw no problem with the color of Maxima's dress. It just seemed a natural part of her flamboyant Argentine style, and this was not an occasion where guests were expected to dress down so one person could stand out. I loved Victoria's dress and Madeleine's outfit is something I would choose for myself.

One of the best part was at the beginning when Princess Estelle yawned Crow Princess Victoria laughed!

Part 2 of SVT broadcast now up. Only 35 minutes, though so it doesn't look very promising. Wish I spoke Swedish. The part worth watching starts at 20:53.

So will they upload the whole cerimony or that's it? i want it all!

I wasn't too sure that the archbishop knew how to hold a baby when Victoria handed over Estelle. There was definitely a sigh of relief when he handed the baby back. Also, that little noise Estelle made and Victoria's reaction was priceless! :ROFLMAO:

I don't know if the Archbishop does christenings very regularly. He might not get much practice with babies! :lol:

So will they upload the whole cerimony or that's it? i want it all!
Google Translate
Well, under the photo of Victoria and Daniel on the left, it says that it would be possible to watch the whole ceremony from tonight. Still waiting, though. I hope they don't upload it too late, I guess I could get on with some work and check back later if I can tear myself away from the photos and clips..

Thanks for that link. :)
It contained a footage from Victoria, Carl-Philip and Madeleine's christenings as well - and I've never seen those before.

Last edited:
Google Translate
Well, under the photo of Victoria and Daniel on the left, it says that it would be possible to watch the whole ceremony from tonight. Still waiting, though. I hope they don't upload it too late, I guess I could get on with some work and check back later if I can tear myself away from the photos and clips..

i was dubious cos the first part is before the christening and the second is after

i was dubious cos the first part is before the christening and the second is after

I know, so was I but it won't make sense not to upload the christening. It's the part people actually want to watch. And it's still not up. :sad:

Back
Top Bottom