Who Will Reign Next

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mktv2000

Aristocracy
City
Seattle
Country
United States
So which of the next generation (save Lich. in August) of royals will asend to the throne? I heard that some think W-A, is that the common view - that Beatrix will be the next to step down? Any opinions?

W-A is thought to be because of the abdication trend in the Netherlands. Yet when he becomes king, he will not have a coronation, he will be enthroned. The only European heirs most likely to have a coronation are the Prince of Wales and Prince William.

I think the next coronation will be in Tonga when the present King dies. He is now 86 and not in the best of health.

Originally posted by A.C.C.@May 13th, 2004 - 2:47 am
W-A is thought to be because of the abdication trend in the Netherlands. Yet when he becomes king, he will not have a coronation, he will be enthroned. The only European heirs most likely to have a coronation are the Prince of Wales and Prince William.
There is no abdication trend in the Netherlands.

I would probably guess that the next enthronement will be for Albert of Monaco. Prince Rainier III is not in such good health, and has not been for some time. Although it's sad, I would have to predict that the next monarch to die will be Rainier.

Originally posted by bct88@Jun 10th, 2004 - 2:27 pm
I would probably guess that the next enthronement will be for Albert of Monaco. Prince Rainier III is not in such good health, and has not been for some time. Although it's sad, I would have to predict that the next monarch to die will be Rainier.
I agree sadly I think Prince Rainier III will pass away soon. As for Queen Beatrix, I am not sure she will abdicate or not and if she does it will not be for along time, she seems to like her job too much.

I think a number of the present Monarchs will die before Queen Elizabeth II...even though she is nearing 80...odds are she will be on the throne for at least another 20 to 25 years.

I believe that Elizabeth II could live as long as her mother. She doesn't seem to slow down, and I give her a lot of credit for doing things at her age that others her age can't.

Originally posted by royal_sophietje+Jun 10th, 2004 - 3:29 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (royal_sophietje @ Jun 10th, 2004 - 3:29 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-A.C.C.@May 13th, 2004 - 2:47 am
W-A is thought to be because of the abdication trend in the Netherlands.  Yet when he becomes king, he will not have a coronation, he will be enthroned.  The only European heirs most likely to have a coronation are the Prince of Wales and Prince William.
There is no abdication trend in the Netherlands. [/b][/quote]
Erm, the two previous monarchs have abdicated. That can be considered a trend/tradition. The tradition also seems to exist in Luxembourg with Charlotte and Jean voluntarily abdicating and Marie-Adelheid involuntarily doing so.

My guess is that the next enthronement will be for Prince Rainier's successor... He seems quite fragile now.

The only country in Europe that does the traditional coronation thing is Great Britain, so the next coronation will be over there for The Prince of Wales. But I think Queen Elizabeth will be alive and kickin' at her job for some years yet to come! :D

Yes but Western-Samoa? And Dubai? Saud-Arabia? Qatar?
These monarchs are old too!

Lord Sosnowitz said:
Yes but Western-Samoa? And Dubai? Saud-Arabia? Qatar?
These monarchs are old too!
If you mean my post, I was thinking in the European perspective... Sorry, maybe I should've made that clear... I don't know enough about the non-European Succession rules to answer this question, they seem so different and "insecure" compared to the European Royal House's Lines of Succession...

The thing is, no one except the most immediate family knows about the complete state of health of reigning sovereigns. I remember how shocked I was when King Baudouin died and he seemed relatively young, not very old. Yet apparently he had had a history of heart problems which the royal court officials minimised when they had to discuss it at all. For that reason, the ones I really wonder about at the moment are King Harald of Norway and Prince Rainier.

I know it isn't European, but Emperor Akihito seems to be looking rather frail, and he's not been well recently either. I hope he lasts for a while, though, since Crown Princess Masako doesn't seem to be quite well yet and since Princess Sayako might be giving him some more grandchildren one of these years.

So the next enthronement will indeed be for Prince Rainier's successor, Prince Albert.

The United Kingdom and the Holy See are the only ones left who do coronations, so when Pope John Paul II's successor is finally selected - we will get to see a papal coronation. Quite a unique thing to experience.

The UK.......but then....i dun think it'll happen in the UK for at least like 10-20 years....cuz QEII is in good health...and given QE lived like 100 years old or something...i think QEII would live maybe even longer than her mother did....so.....i think the Prince of Wales won't be King until long from now...and besides...i really dun want to Camilla be Queen of England....so LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!!!!!

Coronation

Coronation: Crown is placed on Monarch's head...

Enthronement: simple speech, or maybe signing a document or sitting on a throne and taking oath of office

Also: "The United Kingdom and the Holy See are the only ones left who do coronations, so when Pope John Paul II's successor is finally selected - we will get to see a papal coronation. Quite a unique thing to experience."

Ummm, I don't think that the Holy See has coronations anymore, Vatican II...

John Paul II did not have a coronation and I don't believe the next Pope will either.

Is one historically better/more important than the other or are they simply two different methods of conferring power?

Coronations

The Kingdom of Tonga still has a Coronation ceremony; the current King, Taufa'ahau Toupou IV, was crowned in 1967.

The King of Thailand was "formally enthroned" in 1950, but I don't know if this included a "crowning" as such, although there is a magnificant Royal Crown.

King Gyanendra of Nepal was crowned in 2001, and I think King Singhi Wangchuk of Bhutan was crowned in 1974.

Coronations are more spectacular and elaborate and generally involve a religious ritual.

Enthronements are more akin to a civil marriage - less pomp and circumstance.

Last edited:
Who will reign first?

Guess please

Who have the first King and Queen title?

1-Phillippe and Mathilde
2-Hakoon and Mette-Marit
3-W.Alexander and Maxima
4-Frederik and Mary
5-Felipe and Letizia
6-Victoria
7-Charles

didem said:
Guess please

1-Phillippe and Mathilde
2-Hakoon and Mette-Marit
3-W.Alexander and Maxima
4-Frederik and Mary
5-Felipe and Letizia
6-Victoria
7-Charles

Charles sadly enough :( :( :( :(

didem said:
Guess please

1-Phillippe and Mathilde
2-Hakoon and Mette-Marit
3-W.Alexander and Maxima
4-Frederik and Mary
5-Felipe and Letizia
6-Victoria
7-Charles

Well, I think (considering the amount HM Queen Margrethe II smokes, that perhaps TRH Crown Prince Frederick and Crown Princess Mary of Denmark may well be the Monarch/consort pair. I Think HM Queen Elizabeth II sall out-live her Danish cousin.

It is very interested indeed who would be be King/Queen first of all those pairs. Since ascending to the throne will mean who has seniority in public appearances.

I have read somewhere that the highest ranking Monarch is Queen Elizabeth II. I am not sure who goes next but it could be Queen Margharette then Queen Beatriz, then King Harald, then King Carl Gustaf, then Prince Hans, then King Albert, King Juan Carlos, King Abdullah, Duke Henri, and last I think Prince Albert, since he is the last that has taken a throne.

I could be wrong so please change the order if you know more than I do.;) :) :)

Mika said:
I have read somewhere that the highest ranking Monarch is Queen Elizabeth II.

You are quite correct Mika. Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II is the highest ranking Monarch in the world. Her status is equal to a King in her position (of Great Britain etc), and even though there is an Emperor (a title which out-ranks King/Queen), in the world (HIM The Emperor of Japan), he is not superior as a Monarch to Her Majesty The Queen.

I believe that such information was even published in the Government/politics section of the 2003 and 2004 Guiness Book of World records.

I think Haakon and Mette-Marit. The King of Norway was treated for bladder cancer and I think he's since had heart surgery. He's much younger than Queen Elizabeth but with his health problems I don't think he'll last long.

Well, if we're looking at age and natural deaths, then Charles is the most ''logical'' choice. However, accidents do happen, not to mentions diseases. We've seen cases before where a monarch died unexpectedly, such as Baudouin of Belgium.

prince charles will probably be the first....everyone else is fair game

ysbel said:
I think Haakon and Mette-Marit. The King of Norway was treated for bladder cancer and I think he's since had heart surgery. He's much younger than Queen Elizabeth but with his health problems I don't think he'll last long.

I would hate to think it but I would have to agree.

What are the ages of the current reigning monarchs?

Back
Top Bottom