Who Will Reign Next

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Has Harald ever spoken in public about a possible abdication? We know that QMII has said that she doesn't indend to abdicate, but has Harald said the same?

I also think that Norway is in a special situation. They don't have a pool of working royals, or royals at all. Compare to Sweden. Even if CG is in reasonable health, I think that Victoria would be more than ready in a couple of years (when the kids are a bit older). She has support from her siblings - Madeleine is moving back to Sweden this summer - who can do occasional jobs until her own kids are old enough, and is very popular herself.

But in Norway, Mette-Marits health isn't good. Märtha is... out with the shaman on adventures. Ingrid Alexandra seems to be a very capable and smart heir, but she's also very young. So I personally think that Harald is hanging in there as king because he knows that Haakon will have to carry a heavy workload when he becomes king.
I don’t see Carl XVI stepping down

Queen Margrethe II continues to discharge the constitutional duties of the Head of State such as forming the government and signing bills into law. So I think it is a stretch to say that Frederik has been a de facto Regent in recent times. In fact, Queen Margrethe II until recently was even doing the more heavy-lift ceremonial duties of the monarch such as state visits.

Regardless of her health status, I don't think we should read too much into her absence at King Charles III's coronation. Even if she were in perfect health, it is possible that she may not have attended anyway as it would have been against tradition to attend another monarch's coronation and the Queen strikes me as a traditionalist.

The real test will be if she attends King Carl Gustaf's golden jubilee dinner in the second semester, and if she resumes state visits after her recovery. There is for example a pending Spanish state visit which has not been rescheduled yet.
She will be attending Car Gustaf Dinner

As of today, i think it’s a question mark between Haakon and Gulliaume about who will come to the throne first.
Luxembourg has the tradition of abdication and both Henri and in particular M-T has indicated that they will follow that tradition…
And in Norway King Harald has to spend several days at Hospital every year now… He is 86 now so it won’t get easier from here…

I still think we are far away from a long term regency in Denmark.
But i think the coming months will be a trial for Queen Margrethe who has now done her back surgery and is in a period of rehabilitation… The coming months and year will be a test for her, to see what she can do and what she can’t…

The King of Sweden is 77 and until recently seemed to be a very fit man for his age… During the pandemic, the Royal Couple was vaccinated as a ”medical risk group” so either C-G or Silvia may have something that we don’t know about… And very recently he had a heart surgery, albeit a keyhole procedure and not an open surgery, indicating that it may be The King himself who have had some medical problems and not Queen Silvia wich there has been speculations about in Swedish media…
In the coming years i can see him sharing more and more of the burden with Victoria but a regency or abdication is not close…

What did heri and mt said about stepping down?

I have alot of respect for a monarch that knows when it is time to step aside and allow the next generation to step up and move the monarchy forward. A good leader showing some selfless self-awareness is also part of duty and service because it puts the monarchy and RF first.

As who will reign next...hard to say for sure but at this point I'd put Netherlands and Luxemburg at the top of the list. I'd put Denmark at the end of the list. Belgium, Spain, Norway, Sweden, Luxburg (again) and Netherlands (again) will all come before. It will be interesting to see the transitions in the coming years for the rest of the monarchies at least. But imo there won't be any big jubilee for the Scandinavian heirs ever again.

As who will reign next...hard to say for sure but at this point I'd put Netherlands and Luxemburg at the top of the list. I'd put Denmark at the end of the list. Belgium, Spain, Norway, Sweden, Luxburg (again) and Netherlands (again) will all come before. It will be interesting to see the transitions in the coming years for the rest of the monarchies at least. But imo there won't be any big jubilee for the Scandinavian heirs ever again.

How long do you think Margrethe will live. I don't see any abdication in the Netherlands and Belgium for the next 15-20 years.

How long do you think Margrethe will live. I don't see any abdication in the Netherlands and Belgium for the next 15-20 years.

She'll will herself to live to outdo QEII 70 years if she could imo. But that's just my opinion given her comment of being on the throne until she falls off. I'll refrain from voicing the optics that conjures. Frederik may become Charles part deux.

There may be 25th jubilee in Belgium, Netherlands and Spain given when the current monarchs took over and their ages at the time. However, I don't expect it in Norway, Sweden or Denmark. Luxemburg may still see jubilee of 25 years as well depending on when the Grand Duke decides to step aside and Guillaume takes over.

Of course the above could be altered if an unforeseen event occurs.

And finally...this is my opinion on the matter. I'm not trying to impose it on anyone nor invalidating anyone else's thoughts on the issue. These are simply my views on the topic of this thread. Let me say that as a preemptive measure as I know the responses already. :flowers:

Gut saids 90 had Philippe indicted at all he intends to step down in the future for Elisabeth at all I thought Albert stepping down was a one time thing

What the future of the monarchy in Cambodia?

I have alot of respect for a monarch that knows when it is time to step aside and allow the next generation to step up and move the monarchy forward. A good leader showing some selfless self-awareness is also part of duty and service because it puts the monarchy and RF first.

I think people overestimate the odds of Philippe Addicting 20 to 30 years from now

I think people overestimate the odds of Philippe Addicting 20 to 30 years from now

I agree. King Philippe is a "young-ish" version of a 63 year old man. He seems(so far) to have avoided the early health and cardiac issues that have plagued the Coburg male line. He doesn't smoke-that I am aware of- and he seems fit.

I will be surprised if he abdicates before the age of 80 years, by which time the Duchess of Brabant will likely be married with a family.

Last edited:
I agree. King Philippe is a "young-ish" version of a 63 year old man. He seems(so far) to have avoided the early health and cardiac issues that have plagued the Coburg male line. He doesn't smoke-that I am aware of- and he seems fit.

I will be surprised if he abdicates before the age of 80 years, by which time the Duchess of Brabant will likely be married with a family.

He is a traditionist though so don’t be surprised if he dieds on the thrones and that is his right if he so wants too

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom