Who Will Reign Next

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SpiffyBallerina said:
I honestly think Prince Charles will be next to reign.

Her Majesty the Queen is in excellent health and she is not going anywhere soon. The longevity of the Windsor women is well known! God Save the Queen!!!

tiaraprin said:
Her Majesty the Queen is in excellent health and she is not going anywhere soon. God Save the Queen!!!

It's so thrilling to hear that from an American! Even if Her Majesty is the Great great great great Granddaughter of a King that turned the American continent against him.

Who do you think will have the more Grand Coronation What will there styles be I Know Haakon will be King Haakon VIII ,Charles either be King Charles III Or King George VII What about the others :)

Charles will have the most grand coronation -- the British are the best at pulling these things off.

I didn't think that the last Norwegian coronation was all that impressive (of course, they had to make up a ceremony in 1905 and have only repeated it twice). Then again, Norwegians are unassuming people and probably prefer that!

Coronations in Norway was stopped in 1908, I think it was. The previous two ceremonies have not been coronations, but sort of a blessing from the church to the new monarch as he starts his rule. Hence, the simplicity.

I think the last coronation was in 1906. You're right, though, no "real" coronation anymore, norwegianne.

King Harold swore an oath to the constitution and then had a "Service of Consecration and Blessing" in Trondheim. I vaguely remember it... but it's no ceremony on the scale of 1953.

Yes, the last coronation was in 1906, but it was in 1908 that the Parliament disolved the Coronation paragraph in the Consitution for future kings

I place equal money on WA and Haakon. Beatrix will definitely retire by 2010.

Harald's health is so bad. He looks terrible. I think he may die before Beatrix abdicates. but then again, you never know. some people are like Phoenixes. they just keep surviving all sorts of awful diseases.

Its sad but I really think Charles will be the last of Europe's heirs to assume the throne. Elizabeth is soooo tough. and she's looking healther now than she did a decade ago.

I predict she'll hang on for atleast 15 more years.

pollyemma said:
I place equal money on WA and Haakon. Beatrix will definitely retire by 2010.

Harald's health is so bad. He looks terrible. I think he may die before Beatrix abdicates. but then again, you never know. some people are like Phoenixes. they just keep surviving all sorts of awful diseases.

Its sad but I really think Charles will be the last of Europe's heirs to assume the throne. Elizabeth is soooo tough. and she's looking healther now than she did a decade ago.

I predict she'll hang on for atleast 15 more years.

i agree with you!

HM Queen Elizabeth still strong in her health and she nearly 80 but she now 79 years old but many people wont wanted let her down! let god save the Queen! but if she dies they passes to Prince Charles or Prince William because the polls wanted William to become King of England i would agree with articles because Prince Charles very old

HM King Harald of Norway had heart surgery month ago and he still in good health and you says he had bad health but i cant believe it but he had cancer also! if he dies they pass to Haakon to become King of Norway after his dad the Harald and late Grandfather King olav of Norway

i dont think Beatrix would let down because she still looks good and health also if she dies they pass to Willem-Alex to become King we have to wait and see what happened about Her Majesty's health

Sara Boyce

I think the first one to be king is the prince of Orange, the Queen will rule a few more years, but I would say she abdicates around 2010. I know it is not a tradition in other european countries to abdicate (except Luxembourg), but maybe the king of Belgium will follow an abdication scenario as well. In that case the Duke of Brabant could be King within the next 5-10 years as well. Otherwise I assume that most crownprinces will be elderly themselves before they are kings/queens.

didem said:
Guess please

Who have the first King and Queen title?

1-Phillippe and Mathilde
2-Hakoon and Mette-Marit
3-W.Alexander and Maxima
4-Frederik and Mary
5-Felipe and Letizia
6-Victoria
7-Charles
Well, I think Willem-Alexander & Maxima. They had their second child now and over a couple of years (maybe 5 or 10), they will be king and queen.

Royalsa said:
Well, I think Willem-Alexander & Maxima. They had their second child now and over a couple of years (maybe 5 or 10), they will be king and queen.

But wouldn't that mean that Queen Beatrix has to abdicate in the next 5-10 years?
I like her as monarch and while I think Wilem-Alexander and Maxima would make great monarchs, it would be sad to see such a dedicated Queen abdicate, what do others think?:)

I just have to say it. I think this is a little ghoulish, since we're speculating on when monarchs will die, for the most part.

i would say Hakkon and Mette-marit tooo......considering King Harld's health problems....next would probably be Charles

iowabelle said:
I just have to say it. I think this is a little ghoulish, since we're speculating on when monarchs will die, for the most part.

I totally agree with you, it's horrible, like putting bets on a tragedy!
But the Dutch monarchy does have a history of abdication, so I thought I'd keep my comment just on the Dutch house.

I don't think Frederick and Mary will reign for a long time. Even though she smokes a lot, Margrethe looks really sturdy and strong, like she could live forever!

I agree with you Aussie Princess.I think that Haakon&Mette-Marit will reing first, followed by Maxima and Willem-Alexander

I agree with those who named Haakon and Mette-Marit--the King of Norway has had a lot of health problems.

Queen Elizabeth II is the oldest European monarch, but I think that we'll see her Diamond Jubilee and the Queen opening the 2012 Olympic Games.

I've noticed a strange coincidence. In the 20th Century there were two ships named after the then Princes of Wales, future Edward VII and Edward VIII,in the Royal Navy, and each time when the ship was finished, the relevant Prince had already inherited the throne (in case of Edward VIII he also already lost it).

The next Prince of Wales is due to be completed in 2015, although, of course, her building may hit some hurdles...

Mika said:
I have read somewhere that the highest ranking Monarch is Queen Elizabeth II. ;) :) :)

Actually, His Imperial Majesty the Emperor Akihito of Japan is the highest ranking Monarch in the world, as an Emperor outranks a King. A Kingdom never outranks an Empire (even if this Kingdom happens to have a Commonwealth). In regards to who is the most well known and bublicised Head of State, then without a doubt Her Most Gracious Majesty the Queen Elizabeth II takes the cake. When it comes to European Monarchs I believe that Elizabeth is most certainly the highest ranking sovereign and holds one of (if not) the most symbolic position any European Monarch ever could or shall (This is also contribued to by the fact that the Queen is also Head of the Commonwealth and as such is Queen to three of the 15 other indapendant realms outside the United Kingdom (which is also a Commonwealth Realm). Those three countries being Australia, Canada & New Zealand.

"MII"

As for who shall be next to succeed to a throne. I really cant say.

Margrethe II said:
Actually, His Imperial Majesty the Emperor Akihito of Japan is the highest ranking Monarch in the world, as an Emperor outranks a King.
Depends on what you mean by "ranking". All Sovereigns rank equal. Within that group "ranking" is determined by length of time on the Throne. As such the King of Thailand (1946) is first, and Queen Elizabeth (1952) second.

And Queen Elizabeth wears 17 separate crowns for the countries of the Commonwealth that remain loyal to the Crown and retain her as their Head of State.

Warren said:
Depends on what you mean by "ranking". All Sovereigns rank equal. Within that group "ranking" is determined by length of time on the Throne. As such the King of Thailand (1946) is first, and Queen Elizabeth (1952) second.

Indeed, if you are refering to length of time than His Majesty the King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand would be ranked as longest reignig Monarch, followed by Her Majesty the Queen and so on and so forth.

All sovereigns, of course would not discriminate between who is the highest ranking or lowest. that idea is quite laughable would'nt you agree?

But, as historical doctrines dictate and as has been the way for centuries, an Emperor outranks a King, it is that simple.

Oh indeed, I mucked myself up did'nt I! My apologies. Here we have the 17 States to which the Queen continues to govern as head of State and as such has remained their Queen/Chief.

Those Realms being in no particular order:

Australia
Antigua & Barbuda
Barbados
Canada
Bahamas
New Zealand/ Cook Islands
Beliza
Jamaica
Papua New Guinea
Grenada
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent & the Grenadines
Saint Kitts & Nevis
Tuvalu
Solomon islands
United Kingdom

Last edited:
kelly9480 said:
There is no abdication trend in the Netherlands. [/b]
There is no abdication trend in the United Kingdom not in The Netherlands.

Last edited:
I really can not predict who will inherit the throne first and become the new king and queen even though there are a few monarchs will health problems it does not mean they will die some of them could get back into good health and reign several years. I know Prince Charles will be the last european heir to inherit the throne his late grandmother Queen Mother Elizabeth lived to be 101 now if his mother Queen Elizabeth II lives to be 101 she will reign 25 more years.Then Charles and Camilla will be in their 80's when Charles assumes the throne and is crowned King of England this I know is very true.

1 year ago I would have said: Haakon will be the next King. :ermm:
Harald looked so sick and tired.
Now it seems the King is doing quite well again and I think he'll stay King for 2 years or something...

Nowdays I think Willem-Alexander will turn to be the next King at first. There are so many speculations about a possible abdication of Queen Beatrix, because she's in the same age now as her mother Queen Juliana when she gave up the throne.. but I'm really not sure, because she looks so healthy and hard working..
It could also be Queen Margrethe II who'll abdicate next.. but I really cannot imagine Denmark without Margrethe II as Queen...:rolleyes:

An Emperor outrankes a King but Heads of State

(including Presidents etc) are ranked according to the length of time on the job. If the monarchs were gathered in their capacity as Head of State, they would use that criteria.

Abdications in the House of (Orange-) Nassau

A.C.C. said:
W-A is thought to be because of the abdication trend in the Netherlands. Yet when he becomes king, he will not have a coronation, he will be enthroned. The only European heirs most likely to have a coronation are the Prince of Wales and Prince William.

There is a 'trend' indeed but Queen Beatrix can easily stay Sovereign until her last breath. There is however the idea in the House of (Orange-) Nassau that sometimes the time is there to hand over the kingship in younger hands.

Abdications in the House of (Orange-) Nassau

His Majesty
Willem I Frederik
King of the Netherlands, Prince of Orange-Nassau, Grand Duke of Luxembourg, etc., etc., etc.

Her Royal Highness
Marie Adelheid Theresia Hilda Antoinette Wilhelmine
Grand Duchess of Luxembourg, Duchess of Nassau, etc., etc., etc.

Her Majesty
Wilhelmina Helena Pauline Maria
Queen of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, etc., etc., etc.

Her Royal Highness
Charlotte Adelgonde Elisabeth Marie Wilhelmine
Grand Duchess of Luxembourg, Duchess of Nassau, etc., etc., etc.

Her Majesty
Juliana Louise Emma Marie Wilhelmina

His Royal Highness
Jean Benoît Guillaume Robert Antoine Louis Marie Adolphe Marc d'Aviano
Grand Duke of Luxembourg, Duke of Nassau, etc., etc., etc.

????
Her Majesty
Beatrix Wilhelmina Armgard

Margrethe II said:
Actually, His Imperial Majesty the Emperor Akihito of Japan is the highest ranking Monarch in the world, as an Emperor outranks a King. A Kingdom never outranks an Empire (even if this Kingdom happens to have a Commonwealth). In regards to who is the most well known and bublicised Head of State, then without a doubt Her Most Gracious Majesty the Queen Elizabeth II takes the cake. When it comes to European Monarchs I believe that Elizabeth is most certainly the highest ranking sovereign and holds one of (if not) the most symbolic position any European Monarch ever could or shall (This is also contribued to by the fact that the Queen is also Head of the Commonwealth and as such is Queen to three of the 15 other indapendant realms outside the United Kingdom (which is also a Commonwealth Realm). Those three countries being Australia, Canada & New Zealand.

"MII"

As for who shall be next to succeed to a throne. I really cant say.

Actually, a Pope outranks an Emperor. So it's Benedict XVI is the highest ranking monarch in the world in terms of title.

Next on the throne aside from a new pope I think would be Hakkon.

CrownPrinceLorenzo said:
Actually, a Pope outranks an Emperor. So it's Benedict XVI is the highest ranking monarch in the world in terms of title.

I think Queen Elizabeth (head of the Anglican Church) or Queen Margrethe II (head of the Danish State Church) or the Emperor of Japan (a descendant of Ameratsu, the Sun Goddess) might disagree a bit with you.

Back
Top Bottom