Which Country Could Next Abolish Their Monarchy?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In your opinion, which European country is more likely to become a republic?

• Belgium

Votes: 82 19.9%
  • Denmark

Votes: 12 2.9%
  • Great Britain

Votes: 42 10.2%
  • Liechtenstein

Votes: 12 2.9%
  • Luxembourg

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Monaco

Votes: 16 3.9%
  • The Netherlands

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Norway

Votes: 56 13.6%
  • Spain

Votes: 149 36.1%
  • Sweden

Votes: 30 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The King of Thailand is in his 80s and is completely revered by his 60 million subjects.Unfortunately his son, the Crown Prince, does not command the same respect. Given the volatility of Thai politics, the monarchy may not survive the King's passing.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. There are many people in Britain who have no time for the Windsors. I know many who would get rid of them tomorrow if they could.

'many' is an interesting term to use, since polling consistently pegs that number as a very, very small percentage of the population.

'many' is an interesting term to use, since polling consistently pegs that number as a very, very small percentage of the population.

doesn't matter, it's history, tradition, the british monarchy is very established and will certainly not be the first one to go. there are others that need to worry more about being abolished. nothing will happen until HM is alive and as long people are alive who will think of the british monarchy in connection to HM's values and service to the country. much will depend on charles however he will have an easier task than eg Felipe of Spain.

Mmm, yes. I think it's highly likely that Australia will (attempt to) remove their monarchy upon EIIR's death. That provides for a fascinating issue, as HM is not just Queen of Australia, she is also jointly and severally Queen of the six individual states that comprise Australia. It is therefore possible for Australia to be federally republican while each state still possesses a monarchy. Funny, no?

I assure you that if our federal body moves to successfully invest a Republican statute, her comprising states, territories and external territories will, unreservedly support it's inaction.

No state, territory or external prefecture would retain The Queen as it's Head of State in light of Australia becoming a Federal Republic.

Last edited:
My point was that it's entirely possible. Unlikely? Who can say.. I know many Australians that would fight tooth and nail to keep the monarchy, but I suspect that for many of them it's about EIIR specifically, and not the monarchy in general.

It's a very likely alternative, and will certainly be on the agenda these coming years.

I too know a number of Australian's (go figure) who would like to retain the Australian Monarchy, though they are of a considerable age it must be said.

For every one who does support the monarchy, you'll find three, possibly four or even five, that don't and then those that are undecided and care not of government or politics. Even so, it is EIIR who has the support, not so much the institution for which she inherently stands.

We are an aging population, and those who feel an affiliation with British Imperialism (long gone in practice, may it be) are dropping one by one and their children (the baby boomers) are namely of an indapendant mind as are their children and certainly any younger generations that ensue. Young adults and teenagers (the odd history or political buffs being an acception) have absolutely no regard for the monarchy and probably wouldn't be able to tell you who infact the Prince of Wales is. You can't blame them really. I mean, a man who makes a fleeting visit once every 5 or so years is hardly going to stir interest, let alone be accorded the right to 'inherit' their Australia. And as this Commonwealth has no royal family, they (Charles and his family) are of such a minimal importance, whether he is heir apparent or not. He remains an indefinable figure and has been for quite some time. The generational spill over, I believe is well and truly arrived. It is a mere matter of time.

But when's the best time, that's the question for many.

but I suspect that for many of them it's about EIIR specifically

Bingo!

Last edited:
I agree that it's EIIR who has the widespread support. I'm from Malaysia and when the Commonwealth Games were held here, HM attended. I was there at the closing ceremony and when she arrived and drove round the stadium, the whole crowd cheered. Everyone was so thrilled to see the Queen!

We're a former British colony, very pleased to have our independence, but most people I know here have a great deal of respect for HM. She is very highly thought of. Not the same can be said for Charles though. I'm not a particular fan of Diana, but I think it's a pity his marriage with Diana didn't work out - she would've bought the Windsors a few more centuries, I think!

And it's likely that William will at least provide a few more decades of stability for the Windsors, if his current popularity keeps up.

Even my anti-monarchist father (who ironically has met several ruling monarchs and other members of royal houses) admits that a British republic is a very remote idea. If the people don't like Charles...they probably won't have to put up with him for long, and there's always William as the "light at the end of the tunnel" for them. And with the prestige that the monarchy provides for the United Kingdom abroad, it's actually quite an asset.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. There are many people in Britain who have no time for the Windsors. I know many who would get rid of them tomorrow if they could.

Me too! (particularly on Web forums) or just plain indifferent, I'm a staunch Monarchist myself, but I always respect other peoples beliefs even if I don't personally agree with them.

It made my blood boil when I saw a short TV clip of the British anti-monarchy group 'Republic' demonstrating outside Buckingham Palace, saying to American Tourists "would you like to take the Queen home with you"........how very dare they!

If the members of Republic can't bear to live in a Country which has a Crowned Monarch as Head of State then the only constructive thing I can suggest is that they pack their bags and emigrate to the Republican Utopia they dream of, (wherever that may be) and don't bother coming back!:ohmy::whistling:

doesn't matter, it's history, tradition, the british monarchy is very established and will certainly not be the first one to go. there are others that need to worry more about being abolished. nothing will happen until HM is alive and as long people are alive who will think of the british monarchy in connection to HM's values and service to the country. much will depend on charles however he will have an easier task than eg Felipe of Spain.

Each time I read about the British Monarchy I remember King Farouk's statement. "Someday there will only be 5 kings left. 4 in a deck of cards and the 5th on the throne in Britain" There is a miniscule chance he may be proven right someday.

I think Belgium will be the first to loose their monarchy, if the tensions in the country continue. As per the United Kingdom, I don’t think Canada (speaking as a Canadian) will break off any time soon. There is no reason to stay or go, and MANY more important pressing issues to deal with. The monarchy in Canada is really only a figure head, she doesn’t make any decisions. Because of this I don’t see the point, but at the same time I don’t think we should waste resources debating if we should break off or not.

To be honest, I want Canada to no longer be part of the British monarchy. We need a Canadian head of state, not a British one and one that represents Canadian values and beliefs. The Queen is an excellent monarch for Britain but I just don't feel like a British lady overseas who visits every few years does justice in being head of state for our country.

But for a European monarchy, I don't see the Spanish monarchy existing forever.

But like many other commonwealth countries, Canada has a governor general, who's supposed to represent the queen, because she's not there most of the time.

Yes but she's not the official head of state. And besides, she is representing the British monarchy. Just having a replacement 98 percent of the time doesn't particularly endear us to her. Most Canadians see Queen Elizabeth as a British figurehead and not a Canadian one.

Most people in Belgium like our present king and queen, but it's going to be chaos when prince Philppe has to reign the country. There have been numerous debades on this subject. Fact is that he's just not capable of reigning a country, he has said some major wrong things in the past that politicians and the population couldn't grasp. And everyone here hopes king Albert is going to stay on the throne as long as possible. The moment Philippe has to succeed his father, Belgium can become a republic IMO.

Hasn't it been stated that in Belgium, the constitution was written so that a good King could rule well, but a bad king do little harm?

But meanwhile, the more people see that random people, for example a random Australian, can zip in, get a make over, and do the job, the more likely they will think: 'well, if some girl off the street can do it, how difficult could this job really be?' And, worse: the 'If Mary/mette Marit/etc can do this gig, <my> daughter could--heck, why are we still paying these people?!' I don't mean to sound like I'm against royalty marrying commoners, but I think it's a slippery slope this way: the more 'commoners' on the job, the more us common folk will think: well, let's do away with this nonsense![/quote]

I don't agree. Of course there are limits as to what kind of pasts a future queen or prince can have, but being a commoner can very much be an advantage. I cannot speek for the norwegian people, but being danish I can say that Mary being commoner as well as foreigner was probably one of the best things that could happen for the danish RF. If Frederick had married some born princess, I think many people would have speculated, wether he was too oldfashioned or under pressure from his family. And someone from the danish upperclass would have a hard time, as she would not be exotic and mysterious enough (the danish upperclass are very much like common danes). All the same seeing Mary change from the girl on the street (not that thats a bad thing, it's just not as interesting to young people) into the women she is today, seems to inspire many young people and impress the elderly. But of course the popularity of a commoner who marries into a royal family depends very much on the person her- og himself and their past.

Imo the first monarchy that becomes republic will be Norway. It's the youngest monarchy in Europe(since 1905 if I'm not mistaken), they don't have nobility in Norway and they just seem not to care about monarchy. Among other European monarchies Norway seems the most modern.

You seem to equal modernity with moving towards being a republic, but as other people in these comments have pointed out, that is not necessarily the case. Just because it's right for one country doesn't mean it's right for all. It's a question of culture. There are many different ways of being a modern country, and how boring it would be if there wasn't.

Yes but she's not the official head of state. And besides, she is representing the British monarchy. Just having a replacement 98 percent of the time doesn't particularly endear us to her. Most Canadians see Queen Elizabeth as a British figurehead and not a Canadian one.
Okay, I see what you mean. But as long as Canada is a part of the commonwealth, it is the way it is.

I have a feeling that Belgium will be the next...

I have a feeling that Belgium will be the next...
i share the feling with you , i think the king is tired and older , and i think prince filip is able to start the role of king of belgium;)

Wonder what former Monarchy stands a chance of Restoration

Now that Nepal is a republic and the Shahdev's commoners, which is the next one to go? And which is is pretty strong and will survive for a long time to come?

My pick for the ones to go: AUSTRALIA (although it will not make the Windsors a non-reigning house) and BELGIUM (Break-up of the country).

My Pick for the Ones to survive the long haul: THAILAND (Thais love their monarchy), UNITED ARAB EMRATES (The locals are taken care of well enough to never want to be without a Monarchy).

Questions about the House of Windsor: Since they reign in 16 countries, does this mean that all 16 have to get rid of them to make them a non-reigning house or will the United Kingdom declaring a republic means they cease to regin everywhere else.
I hope the Spanish Royal Family to go next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom