Which Country Could Next Abolish Their Monarchy?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In your opinion, which European country is more likely to become a republic?

• Belgium

Votes: 82 19.9%
  • Denmark

Votes: 12 2.9%
  • Great Britain

Votes: 42 10.2%
  • Liechtenstein

Votes: 12 2.9%
  • Luxembourg

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Monaco

Votes: 16 3.9%
  • The Netherlands

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Norway

Votes: 56 13.6%
  • Spain

Votes: 149 36.1%
  • Sweden

Votes: 30 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just your (let's hope false) prediction or do you actually want the Spanish monarchy to be abolished? :ermm:

I think a few 'Commonwealth" countries may become Republics but, I don't think New Zealand will be one of them any time soon.

When you size up the options for an "El Presidente" the only people on the radar are political hacks. :eek:

Long live the Queen. :flowers:

At the risk of revealing my vast amount of ignorance on this subject---what is happening in Belgium that makes some people think it will be the first to go? I know very little about Belgium. :flowers:

A lot.
Political, economical.
It even goes that far that a lot of people in Belgium want Belgium to belong to the Netherlands again. When that will happen you can wonder what will be the reigning house. Not a hard question; that would be the house of Orange-Nassou so the royal family of Belgium would be useless.

But for a big explanation you have to be with someone else :)

:previous: I wonder why. The Spanish Royal family seems to be popular. Crown Prince Felipe married a local commoner. It should help to maintain higher approval ratings among Spaniards. Not to mention that Crown Princess Letizia is often referred to as the most hard-working Princess.
Well, I asked my friend if he ever saw Philip become a king and he said:''I hope not, the man is obviously too stupid for such a task. He's a bit of wanker. His wife is allright but not very interesting either.''
It is not the fault of the Belgian royal family that local politicians have got an annual government crisis as a local tradition, is it? Crown Princess Mathilde is not interesting because ...? She has not got any scandals surrounding her and does not polarise the royal watchers. What else is required?

I asked a Belgian friend of mine.
The opinions are diverse. Others are all for the monarchy to go because the goverment (Which is basically not there) is very shaky and the crisis still hasn't been solved. Others are against it because well yeah, it wouldn't do any good and it wouldn't get any worse.
And they don't really like Crownprince Philip and Crownpricess Mathilde because they're so stiff, so grey and boring. (His opinion and he might speak for a lot of Belgians)

Thanks! I would be disappointed if the Belgian monarchy were to be abolished.

At the risk of revealing my vast amount of ignorance on this subject---what is happening in Belgium that makes some people think it will be the first to go? I know very little about Belgium. :flowers:

IMO it isn't only about what is happening in Belgium right now. The answer is also to be found in the history of Belgium. The state of Belgium didn't come into existence before 1830 and its monarchy didn't come into existense before 1831 when King Leopold I took the oath as the first King of the Belgians.

If you want to know more here is a link:

Belgium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a quote from the link:

"Upon its independence, Belgium eagerly participated in the Industrial revolutionand, at the end of the nineteenth century, possessed several colonies in Africa. The second half of the 20th century was marked by the rise of communal conflicts between the Flemings and the Francophones fuelled by cultural differences on the one hand and an asymmetrical economic evolution of Flanders and Wallonia on the other hand. These still-active conflicts have caused far-reaching reforms of the unitary Belgian state into a fedetal state. There is constant speculation by observers that this process of devolution might lead to the partition of the country".

:previous: I wonder why. The Spanish Royal family seems popular. Crown Prince Felipe married a local commoner. It should help to maintain higher approval ratings among Spaniards. Not to mention that Crown Princess Letizia is often referred to as the most hard-working Princess.

It is not the fault of the Belgian royal family that local politicians have got an annual government crisis as a local tradition, is it? Crown Princess Mathilde is not interesting because ...? She has not got any scandals surrounding her and does not polarise the royal watchers. What else is required?
I'm not an expert on Belgium. The whole goverment, including the royal family I guess completely failed. The cities are dangerous and there are even a lot of people who want to belong to the Netherlands. Says enough.
I think Mathilde is in their eyes a grey mouse. She doesn't warm the people with her ethiusiasm like Maxima can nor she says anything interesting I guess. As I said, i'm not an expert on the Belgians.

Mathilde is an exemplary wife, mother and princess. However when the country is not very pro-Monarchy in general, some people would always find faults on her. Nobody is perfect, had Philip married someone like Maxima, I doubt she would have been free for criticism, ex. her father, luxurious spending, Fergie like gestures can always be the talks.

:previous:
You are absolutely right. :flowers: If the public at large is keen to dissolve the kingdom and become a part of the neighbour country, as suggested in Empress Merel's posts, the public will find faults with everything the Belgian Royal family does. At times I think that the Belgian royals will never be able to please their subjects.

As to the initial question:Thailand.

The present Monarch King Bhumibol Adulyadej has an almost divine status.

His son and Crown Prince Vajiralongkorn totally lacks any respect in the population,is known for his corrupt
"goings on" and is so dumb it's almost embarrassing.He will not last 5 years,the people don't "dig" him at all.

I'm not an expert on Belgium. The whole goverment, including the royal family I guess completely failed. The cities are dangerous and there are even a lot of people who want to belong to the Netherlands. Says enough.
I think Mathilde is in their eyes a grey mouse. She doesn't warm the people with her ethiusiasm like Maxima can nor she says anything interesting I guess. As I said, i'm not an expert on the Belgians.

As cute southern neighbours the belgians might be/can be,we here,in The Netherlands,don't want them,sorry.....:nonono:..
to visit them is different and really nice,but to hav 'm incorperated in our Kingdom?Nah,never...:lol:..trouble....!:flowers:

Btw,the Belgian Monarch does/and always has done,an outstanding job.Far above what people initially expected from Albert,
the difficulty is not the RF but their clowns operating the country at the De Wetstraat in Brussels.

Spanish RF to go?How rediculous!Spain owns eve-ry-thing to Don Juan Carlos,from democracy,everything.
They seem,at least quiet a handfull of 'm,to have totally forgotten where they came from.Franco's dictatorship.
Europes poorhouse numero uno to the wonderfull brilliant sparkling modern nation it is today.

Last edited:
Why not? ... or perhaps, people of the Netherlands are concerned about possible troubles Belgians can bring (e.g., an annual government crisis that is blamed on the Belgian Royal family or never-ending complaints about dull Crown Princely couple)

My sister lives in Belgium and my step-mother (who is Dutch) lives in the Netherlands and so I visit these two countries quite often. My impression is that the two countries are very different indeed: from the characters and personalities of the people themselves to the infrastructure of the countries. They are very distinct so I'm not sure it would work to have the two countries joined as one. Maybe the Flemish and Walloons should go their seperate ways although where that would leave the royal family I'm not sure!

Spanish RF to go?How rediculous!Spain owns eve-ry-thing to Don Juan Carlos,from democracy,everything.
They seem,at least quiet a handfull of 'm,to have totally forgotten where they came from.Franco's dictatorship.
Europes poorhouse numero uno to the wonderfull brilliant sparkling modern nation it is today.

I have heard many experts who thinks that monarchy in Spain resist because of the democratic merits of Juan Carlos (so they call this monarchical regime "juan-carlism") and so may be that his death will sign the death of the monarchy in Spain. The marriage of prince of Asturias with an important journalist has been read as an answer to this fears. zapatero quick and radicals reforms make also think that a republican change is not so impossible..

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't be surprised if the monarchy in Swaziland - in south Africa - goes, or at least is downgraded to a constitutional monarchy. With more than half of the people living in poverty while the king and his many wives live in luxury, the Swazi people are getting angry. During last year's independence day celebrations, there were demonstrations. A few weeks later, a failed bomb attempt was uncovered.

So, I am betting the Swazi monarchy to end for the same reasons as the French and Russian monarchies went: their absolute rulers did not take care of their people.

I have heard many experts who thinks that monarchy in Spain resist because of the democratic merits of Juan Carlos (so they call this monarchical regime "juan-carlism") and so may be that his death will sign the death of the monarchy in Spain. The marriage of prince of Asturias with an important journalist has been read as an answer to this fears. zapatero quick and radicals reforms make also think that a republican change is not so impossible..

I don't think the monarchy in Spain is fragile enough where the sad death of King Juan Carlos will bring for a call to a republic. Felipe is a very capable, intelligent and savvy man. He will make the transition smoothly from his father to his own all while privately having to mourn the death of someone so beloved to him.

IICR, Juan Carlos had so many doubters in the beginning of his reign who didn't think he was going to make it he was dubbed Juan Carlos el Breve. Almost 35 years later, he's having the last laugh.

Now, if you want a troubled monarchy, Thailand would be it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the monarchy in Swaziland - in south Africa - goes, or at least is downgraded to a constitutional monarchy. With more than half of the people living in poverty while the king and his many wives live in luxury, the Swazi people are getting angry. During last year's independence day celebrations, there were demonstrations. A few weeks later, a failed bomb attempt was uncovered.

So, I am betting the Swazi monarchy to end for the same reasons as the French and Russian monarchies went: their absolute rulers did not take care of their people.

I don't know anything about the Swazi monarchy but it does not sound like a monarchy worth saving.

^^^ To give an example of how extravagant the many Swazi Queens live, last year they all went on a major shopping spree in Europe and the Middle East, buying cars and designer clothes. Many Swazi people protested. To me, they are like the Marie Antoinettes of Swaziland (during her extravagant days). Meaning, they load up on clothes while their people suffer.

If you want, you could check out my blog where I have a section on Swaziland. Here's the link http://royalnews.wordpress.com/category/swaziland/

Last edited:
I hope that it isn't a European Monarchy to go next, some african and asian monarchies really do need reformed if they want to survive in the 21st Century

I am 22 years old and Australian born with a 6th generation Aussie Dad and a French Mother. I live in rural Australia. I am studying Journalism and Political Science. Australia is just 231 years old and we are fortunate to have developed without being encumbered by aristocracy or any class system. Our nation anthem proclaims we are young and free. I have never seen a member of any royal family. I think "our queen" has visited Australia 4 (maybe 5) times. We have watched the antics of the royal princes and my Mother has told me something of Prince Charles marriage and divorce to Diana. Frankly, I cannot see any value or relevance in the royal family for Australia and 57 percent of all Australians and 87 percent of Australians under 30 share that view. Britain quite happily discarded trade with us in favour of the European Community; we owe them nothing.

We will have a Republic but it will take two referenda, one to decide yes or no and a later one to decide how a President will be nominated and voted for. The process will be democratic and will probably (intentionally) not be completed while Elizabeth is queen. After all Australians fought and died for the British Monarchy and in times still well remembered and respected here. They shall grow not old...lest we forget.

Mum's response to the question is Vive la Republique and a short burst of La Marseillase with suitable arm gestures urging us to the the barricades. I suspect she has a lot of support in Australia.

Last edited:
I truly hope the the monarchy in Swaziland is the next to go.

The main problem in Spain is that young people think it's not necessary a monarchy, and now another problem is the referendum to change the constitution in order that women can be heirs to the throne.
Many people say that if a referendum is held for, at the same time they could vote for or against the monarchy.
It's for that reason that the royal family are afraid of the referendum, and tries to postpone it as much as possible, saying that there are more than enough time, because the heir to the throne is Felipe and not Leonor.

Because of these reasons, I voted for Spain.

The main problem in Spain is that young people think it's not necessary a monarchy, and now another problem is the referendum to change the constitution in order that women can be heirs to the throne.

What you've said makes no sense at all. Women have never been barred from succession to the throne of Spain (even during the Habsburg and early Bourbon era in Spain, all monarchs had sons so daughters were never skipped in favour of uncles). Daughters do come after sons in the line of succession to the Spanish throne, but they can inherit and they always could (remember: Urraca, Berengaria, Petronilla, Isabella I, Joanna, Isabella II).

I don't believe Spain will become a republic in near future, but if it does, it certianly won't be because of succession laws.

To be honest, I want Canada to no longer be part of the British monarchy. We need a Canadian head of state, not a British one and one that represents Canadian values and beliefs. The Queen is an excellent monarch for Britain but I just don't feel like a British lady overseas who visits every few years does justice in being head of state for our country.

I understand how you feel. But why opt for republic? If Canada wants to be seperated from the UK, why couldn't they elect a member of the House of Windsor as monarch of Canada?

For example, Elizabeth II remains Queen of the UK, while her daughter Anne becomes Queen of Canada. She would reign as Anne II if they would count English, Scottish and British monarchs (prior to the point of seperation) as Canadian monarchs. Only Anne's descendants would have succession rights to the Canadian throne and Anne is far enough from the British throne to ensure that she won't succeed there.

Everyone wins: we get a brand new royal family to read about, the monarchists still have a monarchy and Canada doesn't share its head of state with the UK :flowers:

I would like to see Saudi Arabia go but I'm sure it won't. I'm sure others have noticed that it's the royal "nice guys" (Louis XVI, Maximilian, Nicholas II etc) who get overthrown and not the really harsh ones. Is the situation in Belgium really that bad? I've heard people talking about a split as long as I've been alive but I could never imagine such a thing happen. I mean, after everything the country has gone through, the wars, the liberations, the struggles, I am shocked that they could really want to willingly give up on their country.

I also never saw eye-to-eye with the premise that Belgium has only existed since 1830. That might be the starting point of the modern state, but I think Belgium as a unique region and people has been around for a very long time. There was a difference when the Netherlands broke away, there was the short-lived United States of Belgium and even Julius Caesar talked about the fierce Belgae (sic?) he had to fight. I would hate to see it end. I like the Belgian monarchy and particularly think that the late King Baudouin was one of the greatest men in modern Euro-royal history. Queen Fabiola is a favorite of mine too.

If the Spanish monarchy is overthrown after the death of Juan Carlos I wonder if, in the nether regions beyond this world, the spirit of Franco will give the King's spirit a scolding, "I told you so"?

I would like to see Saudi Arabia go but I'm sure it won't. I'm sure others have noticed that it's the royal "nice guys" (Louis XVI, Maximilian, Nicholas II etc) who get overthrown and not the really harsh ones. Is the situation in Belgium really that bad? I've heard people talking about a split as long as I've been alive but I could never imagine such a thing happen. I mean, after everything the country has gone through, the wars, the liberations, the struggles, I am shocked that they could really want to willingly give up on their country.

I also never saw eye-to-eye with the premise that Belgium has only existed since 1830. That might be the starting point of the modern state, but I think Belgium as a unique region and people has been around for a very long time. There was a difference when the Netherlands broke away, there was the short-lived United States of Belgium and even Julius Caesar talked about the fierce Belgae (sic?) he had to fight. I would hate to see it end. I like the Belgian monarchy and particularly think that the late King Baudouin was one of the greatest men in modern Euro-royal history. Queen Fabiola is a favorite of mine too.

There are many political reasons for which a split is never going to happen, one of which being that the integrity of the country is protected by Europe, another thing being we have such an enormous state debt, that it would be impossible to divide. Not to mention the problem of Brussels, the problem of the harbours, etc, etc,... All this talk about Belgium splitting up is just an overreaction and a wrong evaluation of the situation in Belgium. Don't get me started on how this all began... :rolleyes: After all, that would be a political discussion and a little out of place here.

If the Spanish monarchy is overthrown after the death of Juan Carlos I wonder if, in the nether regions beyond this world, the spirit of Franco will give the King's spirit a scolding, "I told you so"?

Now that would be funny... :lol: Of course you assume they belong in the same realm of the spirit world... :cool:

I would think that Spain is holding on by just a bit, but would be "next" to go - followed by Belgium. And interestingly, they have two very different heirs, the Prince of Austurias and his "flashy" princess (I am not saying that she is! but the perception....) and "dull, plodding" Philippe & Mathilde.

The interaction between the history of a country, the history of the particular royal family, the world political and social climate, the perception about the heirs to any throne, and one's personal background is interesting at the very least.

When it comes to the UK - I personally think it should just stop after Elizabeth. A monarch like her comes along once in a millenium.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom