Which Country Could Next Abolish Their Monarchy?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In your opinion, which European country is more likely to become a republic?

• Belgium

Votes: 82 19.9%
  • Denmark

Votes: 12 2.9%
  • Great Britain

Votes: 42 10.2%
  • Liechtenstein

Votes: 12 2.9%
  • Luxembourg

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Monaco

Votes: 16 3.9%
  • The Netherlands

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Norway

Votes: 56 13.6%
  • Spain

Votes: 149 36.1%
  • Sweden

Votes: 30 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a poll around here somewhere, to discuss which country would be a republic next - I don't think Nepal made the list at all… people seemed to focus on Spain, Norway or Belgium.

My vote is for Belgium, I suppose many of us would have seen that coming. Here's a question, though--Liechtenstein??...Stay or go? I can't decide, but there has been some drama...
Sweden's here for the long haul...
Britons are all monarchists at heart...
I could see Australia managing to abolish the monarchy...
Would anyone notice if Japan abolished its tenno (although it would be a TRAGIC loss)... I would be inconsolable for weeks...

North Korea should abolish its monarchy (Kim Dynasty)...

Oh, i don't see that happening in Liechtenstein. if I've got it right, the Royals are far too entwined in government.

Oh, i don't see that happening in Liechtenstein. if I've got it right, the Royals are far too entwined in government.
And very well respected bits people. The people of Liechtenstein voted in favour of giving the Prince more powers!

I think that Belgium might go, with all of the drama they're experiencing over there.

Why would Spain's monarchy be abolished? Are the Spanish people not happy with it?

I hope NONE of them are on the way out. I think they serve a purpose to their respective peoples...they are a link to it's history and traditions. In the case of Britain the Royals are a great boost to the tourist industry.

However, I don't feel optimistic about any of the remaining ruling Houses, particularly Britain and the Scandinavian countries...the Royals are more and more losing their mystique and many people are getting the idea that they are "just like us". It's fine to have the common touch to an extent of course, but once Royalty loses that certain "something" which even on the surface separates them from the people that they rule and soon you risk people questioning why have a monarchy if they are exactly like us in every way? It's a very slippery slope to a Republic when people stop seeing their Royals as purposeful, noble, dignified and ROYAL.

I am not an old fuddy duddy but I am old-fashioned enough not to want a Crown Princess who is the daughter of the local mailman and I don't care how lovely the woman is...I have said it before but the recent trend of the Crown Princes marrying commoners(and in some cases VERY common indeed) women is eventually going to do more harm than good. I think these marriages are okay and even romantic and great if they happen once in a while. But they should be the exception and not the rule. Marriages between Royalty and the nobility are now the exception, not the rule. So what happens if you have the children of these marriages themselves turn around and marry commoners and it continues on and on...then voila! Where is the link to tradition and history and nobility after a while? There is no bloodline to link or remind their subjects to their pasts. Sure, they might have a cuddly ruling couple who just adores one another and engages in delightful man on the street behavior(like making out in full view and giving revealing interviews to the media) but I feel in the long run this will do harm.

To make my point, just pick up an issue of Point de Vue or Hello! These mags once chronicled the lives or Royals almost exclusively. Now we have Carla Bruni Sarkozy and Madonna and Gwyneth Paltrow(shudders) on the cover because people aren't just interested in Royals that much anymore and they don't really sell covers. My guess is because they have lost that certain "something" which made them above and beyond mere celebrities.

I would like to see some of the reigning royals make alliances with other RULING houses. But there is something charming about the Cinderella story, after all. Look at what it can do to ensure that monarchies are not abolished.

ex: in the 70s, the Swedish monarchy was living on the edge of termination until the king married an enchanting German-Brazilian commoner, Silvia Sommerlath. The glamorous young couple breathed new life into the Bernadotte monarchy.

The same can be said for Mary Donaldson, although I wouldn't call the Danish monarchy unpopular prior to the marriage, she has added a lot of popularity.

Somehow the younger generation of royals in Belgium just doesn't seem to attract as much attention and popularity as other hereditary couples.

I can see Australia becoming a Republic, especially now there is a republican PM who recently said he'd like to see an Australian republic by 2020. I'd agree with Belgium because again the conflict between the Walloons and Flemish and Spain since the monarchy there has been pretty rocky over the past hundred years and anything could happen. Japan I doubt very much since the conservatives are in power but also I think the people still have a really good view of the monarchy. As for my country Papua New Guinea I doubt it would ever become a republic unless of course the monarchy in the UK ends.

I read somewhere (not sure where though) that if Monaco doesn't have a monarch it becomes part of France, is this true? Australia is my pick

I would like to see some of the reigning royals make alliances with other RULING houses. But there is something charming about the Cinderella story, after all. Look at what it can do to ensure that monarchies are not abolished.

ex: in the 70s, the Swedish monarchy was living on the edge of termination until the king married an enchanting German-Brazilian commoner, Silvia Sommerlath. The glamorous young couple breathed new life into the Bernadotte monarchy.

The same can be said for Mary Donaldson, although I wouldn't call the Danish monarchy unpopular prior to the marriage, she has added a lot of popularity.

Somehow the younger generation of royals in Belgium just doesn't seem to attract as much attention and popularity as other hereditary couples.

Hi PoC...I love your name by the way! I agree about Cinderella stories being charming and I like them too. But as I said in my post...they are no longer the exception. They are the rule. If every Royal marriage is a "Cinderella" story pretty soon it's not really a fairy tale any more...it's a commonplace occurance that loses it's ability to enchant the audience.

In the case of Belgium, these younger Royals don't attract that much attention and I think this is deliberate. The Belgian Royal house has always been very closed, almost strict...they seem to like to fly below the radar.

I think I admire them more than any of the other ruling houses. I think they are the "classiest" of the group of young Royals. For example...you never see handsome young Prince Amadeo stumbling out of nightclubs with a cigarette dangling out of his mouth. You never see him feeling up his girlfriends. You never hear rumors or bad press about ANY of them with the exception of Laurent and he is from my generation...not the current crop of youngster.

CP Philippe and Mathilde are awesome, they are clearly devoted to one another and their young family, they are religious with a seemingly strong sense of duty to the country and dynasty.

They behave as Royals, not celebrities.

I agree with your perceptions about the behaviour of certain young Princes. i also would like to see more marriages between Royaly. I love Princess Mary, Mathilde seems lovely and Metite seems to be doing fine but somehow it just isn't the same. I really did think that Felipe of Spain at least would marry a Royal and I've never really liked Latezia, though she probably is fine. I'm pining my hopes on HGD Guillaime marrying a Princess, I even have a few picked out for him.:)

The Monaco situation is true. I too would pick Australia as the majority of Australians couldn't care less about the Royal Family. They would rather have Queen Nicole.

Monaco? Seriously? I highly doubt it.

I'd say Australia is next, most likely.

Monaco?? Why? Monegasques have a very high standard of living and pay no taxes, thanks to their Prince and his family. The succession is assured by Princess Caroline's children. Last but not least, I never knew Australia was a monarchy. I thought they are part of the British Commonwealth, like Canada. The British monarchy has to fall before these two countries change their figure head of State.
My bet is on Belgium, after King Albert passes on.

I hope NONE of them are on the way out. I think they serve a purpose to their respective peoples...they are a link to it's history and traditions. In the case of Britain the Royals are a great boost to the tourist industry.

However, I don't feel optimistic about any of the remaining ruling Houses, particularly Britain and the Scandinavian countries...the Royals are more and more losing their mystique and many people are getting the idea that they are "just like us". It's fine to have the common touch to an extent of course, but once Royalty loses that certain "something" which even on the surface separates them from the people that they rule and soon you risk people questioning why have a monarchy if they are exactly like us in every way? It's a very slippery slope to a Republic when people stop seeing their Royals as purposeful, noble, dignified and ROYAL.

I am not an old fuddy duddy but I am old-fashioned enough not to want a Crown Princess who is the daughter of the local mailman and I don't care how lovely the woman is...I have said it before but the recent trend of the Crown Princes marrying commoners(and in some cases VERY common indeed) women is eventually going to do more harm than good. I think these marriages are okay and even romantic and great if they happen once in a while. But they should be the exception and not the rule. Marriages between Royalty and the nobility are now the exception, not the rule. So what happens if you have the children of these marriages themselves turn around and marry commoners and it continues on and on...then voila! Where is the link to tradition and history and nobility after a while? There is no bloodline to link or remind their subjects to their pasts. Sure, they might have a cuddly ruling couple who just adores one another and engages in delightful man on the street behavior(like making out in full view and giving revealing interviews to the media) but I feel in the long run this will do harm.

I have held these same beliefs for a long time. When Sonja Halardsen became Crown Princess of Norway it was a fairy tale, then came Silvia Sommerlath and oh la la.........However their children have 2 of their four grandparents who are commoners. There go Martha Louise and Haakon Magnus and marry commoneers so their children have 3 out of their 4 grandparents as commoners. The way Sweden's young royals go, the story will be the same with all three of them. For how long do the romantics among us think that the people will continue to be lining up the streets to see these "semi-demi-and half royals" come down the avenue in their stage coaches dressed and bejeweled??

Last edited by a moderator:
My vote go for Spain.

Spaniards are "Juan Carlist" but not monarchist, and everybody says that after King JC will have a republic.

As for Monaco, which of Caroline's children is ready to rule if PA god forbid died?? Andrea looks like he needs to be hospitalized, and Pierre doesn't look mature enough or interested enough. Charlotte?? Forget it.

I don't think the Monagasque's are agitating for a Republic, they seem to love and accept their Princely Family. But Albert II has NOT done his duty which is to provide heirs in the direct male line..he has frankly been sort of a disappointment to me and I'll bet many others as well.

Last but not least, I never knew Australia was a monarchy. I thought they are part of the British Commonwealth, like Canada. The British monarchy has to fall before these two countries change their figure head of State.

Not true. Any member of the Commonwealth can change their Line of Succession or abolish the monarchy. if they do so unilaterally, they explicitly remove themselves from the Commonwealth.

Which, come to think of it, is probably why the Act of Succession hasn't been changed in the UK (to allow for Catholic marriages). If the UK were to make the change, the rest of the Commonwealth would have to agree to it, and that opens an enormous can of worms.

Do they remove themselves from the Commonwealth? Lots of previous Commonwealth Realms have became republics by their own actions and stayed in the Commonwealth as republics. Fiji was even allowed to stay after the monarchy was overthrown in a coup.

Last edited:
Interesting you bring this up - Dutch television program 'RTL Boulevard' yesterday had an item about this. Their experts bet on both some monarchies in Africa where constituents are struggling wheras the king is living it up like there's no tomorrow. As for Europe, they bet on Belgium. Belgium is already a country in turmoil in some way, what with talk of the nation splitting in two. Its monarchy is not what you'd say a binding element either.

RTLs royal watcher did also say that he believes ultimately, all monarchies will cease to exist but, as he said, not per se in our life time.

If Australia, Canada or New Zealand did decide to become a republic they would still continue to be in the Commonwealth just like the Republic of South Africa is still a member of the Commonwealth.

Do they remove themselves from the Commonwealth? Lots of previous Commonwealth Realms have became republics by their own actions and stayed in the Commonwealth as republics. Fiji was even allowed to stay after the monarchy was overthrown in a coup.

My bad; I was typing in a hurry. I meant that they would remove themselves from the Commonwealth Realms, but presumably would still be a Commonwealth Nation.

One interesting side effect... let us hypothetically presume that Canada amends the Constitution to change the Succession to strict primogeniture. And Wills has first a baby girl, then a boy. That girl would become Queen of Canada at Accession, while the boy would become King of the UK. Would certainly be an interesting way for us to develop our own branch of the Royal Family.

I Hope to see all 10 Royal Families change Monarchs at least for my lifetime.

It's kind of a weird thing to hope for someone's--10 someones--death, Royal Fan.

Not sure how old you are but probably have already seen four - Norway, Belgium, Monaco and Luxembourg and perhaps Liechtenstein if you were around when Franz Joseph abdicated.

It's kind of a weird thing to hope for someone's--10 someones--death, Royal Fan.

IMO hoping to view a British coronation is not the same as hoping for Queen Elizabeth II to die. I hope to see a British coronation in my lifetime too actually. And for The Netherlands and Luxembourg it doesn' t take a death (and I am sure more monarchs will abdicate in the future that just those from these two countries).

I hope all of the current monarchies will be around for many, many years to come. That said, if Belgium were to break up into two separate countries and the monarchy was done away with, I wouldn't be completely surprised.

It could also be a hope for a long life on the part of the person wishing it. Realistically, someone who is young and healthy now is pretty likely to outlive many European monarchs (As healthy as Elizabeth II is, she does not have 40 years left).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom