Which Country Could Become A Monarchy?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Other than Brazil, Romania and Libya pretty much being the most logical of seeing chances of restoration how about we talk about nations that could become monarchies under rather bizarre circumstances whether it be a coup or people just giving up entirely on the republic? Which nation could bizarrely become a monarchy, meaning out of total surprise, what do you guys think?

-Frozen Royalist

The USA :lol:

Yes with Trump as King and Ivanka as Crownprincess - how lovely

Tbh for the foreseeble future, i don't see any country turning themselves into a monarchy.

I think Russia, Greece, Serbia, Romania and Brazil would be more "healthy" as monrchies. But i don't see it happening.

I personally would LOVE if France became a monarchy again, preferebly with the Bonaparte-family on the throne. But that's out of the question.

Last edited:
Even though Brazil, Romania, Libya and Georgia are the safest bets at the moment (no matter how likely or unlikely a restoration may seem) lets talk about Iran for a moment because I always find that nation to be rather interesting as of now due to recent discussions I've been involved in as well as recent protests. If you think about it Iran could possibly work if the Islamic Republic ever sinks to the bottom of the Persian Gulf but monarchists would have to work hard over there. It doesn't hurt to be optimistic does it friends?

-Frozen Royalist

Probably the country with the best chances for the restoration of Monarchy is Serbia because the is a well organized royalist movement and there is a recognized head of the Royal Family and not succession debates.

In Brazil there is a growing monarchists movement.

France dies not have a united royalist movement and has at least two claimants to the Throne.

If Archduke Georg became King of Hungary, would he have to renounce his rights to the Austrian throne?

Given as Austria doesn’t have a throne (and hasn’t for 98 years), I would say no. Now, if Hungary first restored the monarchy under Georg, then Austria were to move towards restoring the monarchy, I would highly doubt either nation would be okay with Georg becoming monarch of Austria.

Given as Austria doesn’t have a throne (and hasn’t for 98 years), I would say no. Now, if Hungary first restored the monarchy under Georg, then Austria were to move towards restoring the monarchy, I would highly doubt either nation would be okay with Georg becoming monarch of Austria.

There is no real debate in Hungary to restore the Monarchy even if some Habsburg support the country having different public roles.

Hungary!!!!!

True, but you've got to admit with the nation of Hungary bringing back Kingdom of Hungary-era symbols like the old crowned coat of arms along with a few other traditions there does appear to be a climate where a constitutional monarchy could work. I have researched and re-researched modern Hungarian monarchism just about every month or so and I have found new blogs showing with a meager thousand or so support, which is rather decent amount of support for a nation with just roughly ten million people. There are some who favor Habsburg restoration, although not many but it is a distant outcome nonetheless. Still I have always found Hungary to be rather fascinating. Even though Hungary isn't one of the most likely of restoration it isn't exactly the most impossible either so who knows.

-Frozen Royalist

Is it just me or have monarchist movements in general been super quiet. I mean you hardly hear anything besides the Iranian protests or the occasional article about Romania or Libya, sometimes Brazil if we're lucky.

I know the fight is an uphill one but monarchists like ourselves declining in numbers, just staying the same, or do people just don't care?

It just rather infuriates me when I look at nations like Brazil where popular protest or appetites for change just don't go anywhere.

I just refuse to believe that these are the final decades of monarchism as a whole. I know it's a matter of a will of the people and attitudes of royals themselves but still.

-Frozen Royalist

To be honest I do believe that monarchy is fading. People want a say in all aspects of their government and that includes their Head of State.

When I first joined this board I was a monarchist but I am now a republican through and through - the sooner Australia becomes a republic the better as far as I am concerned.

What happens in other countries should be determined by the people in those countries and in most of them they don't want their monarchies back and those with monarchies are seeing calls for them abolition (softly in some and more loudly in others).

Monarchy is incompatible with the idea of an egalitarian society which is why most countries that are democracies don't want them back - particularly when they often had to have a violent period in their nation's history to get rid of them in the first place.

Last edited:
Really depends on how a country views its monarchy really.

Canada really has no republican movement to speak of. Except Quebec. A huge contrast to majority of the remaining countries under the queen. Likely because of how we view the monarchy.

The difference? Canada does see itself as a democracy. When we talk the head of our country, we mean our prime minister. When we are educated in school, the prime minister is really little different then a president in a republic. The queen is a face on money, and someone who opens parliament (well her governor general). Other then complaints about cost of a royal tour, there really is no call for a change. Nothing would really change for Canada if we ousted the queen, other then I guess trudeau would open parliament instead.

But yes, those countries which ousted the monarchies, there seems little value to reinstate. The longer those monarchies have been out of power, the less likely for them to be re-instated. There is a slight difference when it was a military coup which took over like Spain. They weren't talking of replacing a democratically elected government with the monarchy.

Really depends on how a country views its monarchy really.

Canada really has no republican movement to speak of. Except Quebec. A huge contrast to majority of the remaining countries under the queen. Likely because of how we view the monarchy.

The difference? Canada does see itself as a democracy. When we talk the head of our country, we mean our prime minister. When we are educated in school, the prime minister is really little different then a president in a republic. The queen is a face on money, and someone who opens parliament (well her governor general). Other then complaints about cost of a royal tour, there really is no call for a change. Nothing would really change for Canada if we ousted the queen, other then I guess trudeau would open parliament instead.

But yes, those countries which ousted the monarchies, there seems little value to reinstate. The longer those monarchies have been out of power, the less likely for them to be re-instated. There is a slight difference when it was a military coup which took over like Spain. They weren't talking of replacing a democratically elected government with the monarchy.

Well its nice to see Canada as secure but I thought your country had polls saying that the majority of Canadians wanted to ax the monarchy after QEII finally passes away (Given how long her mother lived that probably won't be for another decade at most in my opinion), are these polls saying truth or is this a case similar to the Serbian Restoration polls where the polls are pretty much bullcrap (pardon my French)?

-Frozen Royalist

Last edited:
To be honest I do believe that monarchy is fading. People want a say in all aspects of their government and that includes their Head of State.

When I first joined this board I was a monarchist but I am now a republican through and through - the sooner Australia becomes a republic the better as far as I am concerned.

What happens in other countries should be determined by the people in those countries and in most of them they don't want their monarchies back and those with monarchies are seeing calls for them abolition (softly in some and more loudly in others).

Monarchy is incompatible with the idea of an egalitarian society which is why most countries that are democracies don't want them back - particularly when they often had to have a violent period in their nation's history to get rid of them in the first place.

You know you're the only real republican I've ever spoken to that doesn't sound like he or she is just spewing out whatever comes to mind and that I respect.

Might I recommend you speak to a gentleman called the Mad Monarchist, you might enjoy having discussions with him and he might appreciate that you're mature and genuinely know what you're talking about.

-Frozen Royalist

P.S. Well truth be told I've been a monarchist since high school (which was about 7 or 8 years ago) and I genuinely don't see myself going back to the republican side anytime soon. I know you guys (republicans) try to mean well but most of the ones I have seen are pretty much arrogant airheads most of the time.

Look I get it, egalitarianism, equality, the right to choose a head of state and everything else that goes with it but the problem I have with it is I just don't see it as plausible considering we're talking about the human race here. Equality is impossible in my opinion, nobody is born equal, you're either going to be born into a super rich family with everything offered to you on a silver plate, born into a middle class family like me, or born into a family that is either dirt poor or lives in a war torn/broken nation like Syria, Iraq, North Korea and the list goes on. Honestly as long as there are rich families, as long as the concept of dynasty itself exists there will be the concept of royalty.

Humans worship other humans, its just human nature so you might as well worship a dynasty that has meaning to it unlike the Kardashians or the North Korean Kim Dynasty.

Another problem I just have is well this generation; the people I see on Twitter, Reddit and the other "hotspots" are just full of people who just think they know whats best, why is it that republics have to be the default system here? What because you can choose your leader? Even then it still doesn't seem like a fair system because when you get down to it only a select few, or couple if you're in America, can run for president and come out on top, and sometimes rather unfairly (I would have preferred if Bernie Sanders became president instead) . I get it democracy can be eroded or manipulated so the unpopular person gets the presidency but still. Don't patronize me about how "good" it is to have the power to vote because for me and my family things have been going to #$%@ because the rules and the drawings of the districts in my state, I mean republicans only get like 50% of the vote and they get 85% of the seats in the state government, really? I can be rather liberal at times but I'm just so angry at the concept of republicanism right now and I'm not sure that anger will ever dissapate.

You could talk about all the pluses and benefits of a presidential republic all you want but when I look at the Weimar Republic, the short lived Russian Democratic Federative Republic, every single regime in both Mexico and Brazil that existed before and after the monarchy, the Second Spanish Republic, Italy and every other former monarchy all I feel is that those countries essentially fell to an abyss and many many people suffered because of it. I know there have been tyrannical monarchs and many of them but when you compare Mao, Stalin, al-Assad, Hitler, Saddam, Castro and many other presidents who have caused from hundreds of thousands to millions of deaths, I can't help but feel like there is hypocrisy here.

I can respect and accept the existence of republicans but I have no intention of getting back on that ship in my lifetime.

Last edited:
Well its nice to see Canada as secure but I thought your country had polls saying that the majority of Canadians wanted to ax the monarchy after QEII finally passes away (Given how long her mother lived that probably won't be for another decade at most in my opinion), are these polls saying truth or is this a case similar to the Serbian Restoration polls where the polls are pretty much bullcrap (pardon my French)?

-Frozen Royalist

Polls? You mean popularity polls that the press take after a royal tour? Yes, we tend to complain about money when royal tours pass. And 'polls' tend to be answered by people who have issues. Is there a republican movement in Canada? No. Are there any major calls in press and parliament for us to consider a republic? No. The only movement in Canada for such is Quebec, and they want independence not only from the queen, but from the rest of us.

Polls? You mean popularity polls that the press take after a royal tour? Yes, we tend to complain about money when royal tours pass. And 'polls' tend to be answered by people who have issues. Is there a republican movement in Canada? No. Are there any major calls in press and parliament for us to consider a republic? No. The only movement in Canada for such is Quebec, and they want independence not only from the queen, but from the rest of us.

My apologies, look I've only been to Canada twice in my life (each time for only a week or two) so I couldn't really get much for how royalist or republican your nation is, Canada is one of my favorite nations by the way. So I only had those "polls" to go with for how popular or unpopular the monarchy was. Even though I have been a monarchist for a few years now, I have only been talking to fellow monarchists only recently, only since November last year to be exact. Clearly I still have a lot to learn about the monarchist movements in the republics and the fights to retain them in the nations that are still monarchies.

-Frozen Royalist

P.S. You know I envy Canada greatly not only because of the constitutional monarchy but also because of the parliamentary democracy. I personally think the USA would be much better if we had a parliament (basically three or more parties instead of just the constant bickering between the republicans and the democrats) and a prime minister instead of congress and a vice president. As much as I would like there to be a "United Kingdom of America" I think it would only further divide my nation because of religion, ethnicity and other issues, oh well one can dream right?

If I could choose my nationality I'd either be British, Canadian, Japanese, Swiss (I know its a republic but I just think the Swiss are awesome alright), Dutch, Swedish or Norwegian.

Last edited:
Whelp ladies and gentlemen, after that talk about Canada, Republicanism as a whole and the status of restorations lets get back to talking what nation might become a monarchy (again) in my personal opinion.

Good Chance of Restoration:
  • Brazil (The republic hasn't really improved in popularity now has it?)
  • Romania (There have been talks in the past week)
  • Libya (There are still supporters and the crown prince isn't entirely against it.)
  • Nepal (Although the monarchist parties haven't really done well in the recent election, this could just be a sign of screwy tactics by the Maoist parties in Nepal manipulating opinions, polls, elections and what nots.)
  • Iran (If the Islamic Republic ever goes away of course)
  • Russia (When there are Eastern Orthodox Christians and a conservative nation then there is an appetite for a new Tsar/Emperor.)
  • Georgia (Former Soviet Republic and Russia's neighbor, the Georgian Royal Family is relatively popular and quite a few prominent figures have asked for a referendum on the matter as whole.)

Honorable Mentions:
  • Poland (As quirky and think tank as Polish monarchists are, you can help but feel there is at least some potential for the former Communist nation.)
  • Egypt (Well, like I said with Brazil, the republic isn't anymore popular now is it?)
  • Germany (You've got to admit that polls showing 20% supporting restoration have to be sort of a good sign for monarchism in the nation, but they'd have to gain more support and change a constitution that was practically set in stone.)
  • Montenegro (A creeping restoration could still happen and the royal family does have recognition at least.)
  • Greece (Well at least the deposed royal family is back in Greece and showing a little bit of interest about what goes on in their former kingdom.)
  • Portugal (Shows promise and at least the nation's monarchist party actually has a seat in government.)
  • Czech Republic (Even though the nation's monarchist party has been swept under the rug most of the time, at least it has 800 members, which isn't too bad for a nation with about 10 million. Plus it does appear to be rather popular to a certain extent in the country.)

Dishonorable Menstions
  • Bulgaria (YOU HAD ONE JOB, ONE JOB. That is all I have to say to the former Czar of the country.)
  • Serbia (The former monarchy with some of the most unreliable polls on the planet.)
  • France (Impossible as per usual)
  • Italy (Also impossible as per usual)
  • China (Insert over 9000 face palms here)

-Frozen Royalist

Whelp ladies and gentlemen, after that talk about Canada, Republicanism as a whole and the status of restorations lets get back to talking what nation might become a monarchy (again) in my personal opinion.

Good Chance of Restoration:
  • Brazil (The republic hasn't really improved in popularity now has it?)
  • Romania (There have been talks in the past week)
  • Libya (There are still supporters and the crown prince isn't entirely against it.)
  • Nepal (Although the monarchist parties haven't really done well in the recent election, this could just be a sign of screwy tactics by the Maoist parties in Nepal manipulating opinions, polls, elections and what nots.)
  • Iran (If the Islamic Republic ever goes away of course)
  • Russia (When there are Eastern Orthodox Christians and a conservative nation then there is an appetite for a new Tsar/Emperor.)
  • Georgia (Former Soviet Republic and Russia's neighbor, the Georgian Royal Family is relatively popular and quite a few prominent figures have asked for a referendum on the matter as whole.)

Honorable Mentions:
  • Poland (As quirky and think tank as Polish monarchists are, you can help but feel there is at least some potential for the former Communist nation.)
  • Egypt (Well, like I said with Brazil, the republic isn't anymore popular now is it?)
  • Germany (You've got to admit that polls showing 20% supporting restoration have to be sort of a good sign for monarchism in the nation, but they'd have to gain more support and change a constitution that was practically set in stone.)
  • Montenegro (A creeping restoration could still happen and the royal family does have recognition at least.)
  • Greece (Well at least the deposed royal family is back in Greece and showing a little bit of interest about what goes on in their former kingdom.)
  • Portugal (Shows promise and at least the nation's monarchist party actually has a seat in government.)
  • Czech Republic (Even though the nation's monarchist party has been swept under the rug most of the time, at least it has 800 members, which isn't too bad for a nation with about 10 million. Plus it does appear to be rather popular to a certain extent in the country.)

Dishonorable Menstions
  • Bulgaria (YOU HAD ONE JOB, ONE JOB. That is all I have to say to the former Czar of the country.)
  • Serbia (The former monarchy with some of the most unreliable polls on the planet.)
  • France (Impossible as per usual)
  • Italy (Also impossible as per usual)
  • China (Insert over 9000 face palms here)

-Frozen Royalist

At the moment any Restoration is difficult. In none of these countries there is a majority for Monarchy.

You know I'm just going to save time and just time everything right here instead of just going to every single individual restoration page; Is there anything new in the restorations news? Any new polls? Any further demonstrations with people demanding referendums in say Brazil or Romania? I'm just asking if there is anything really?

Any news in Egypt or Libya? Is the creeping restoration in Montenegro still creeping? What's going on friends?

-Frozen Royalist

Saif al-Islam Gaddafi is running for a president in Libya. It is highly doubtful that the El Senussis can restore a monarchy and rule this complicated country.

Field Marshal Al Sisi was re-elected in Egypt.

Last edited:
Saif al-Islam Gaddafi is running for a president in Libya. It is highly doubtful that the El Senussis can restore a monarchy and rule this complicated country.

Field Marshal Al Sisi was re-elected in Egypt.

So business as usual then, lovely.

-Frozen Royalist

Actually here are some polls of 12 nations with the percentage of people who are in favor of restorations. Keep in mind that the polls were conducted at different times, with them being either well or poorly worded or just conducted by different organizations with them being taken place in different parts of the country in question like say a poll was conducted in oh I don't know Bavaria or Crimea or California or whatever as an example.

Georgia: 57%

Nepal: 49%

Mauritius: 47%

Serbia: 40%

Albania: 33%

Russia: 22%

Romania: 21%

Germany: 19%

France: 17%

Portugal: 15%

United States of America: 13%

Greece: 12%

Brazil: 11%

-Frozen Royalist

Interesting! Which of those polls would you consider well-conducted and dependable?

United States has never been a monarchy.

Yes and no. The war of indepence formed the 13 colonies beloging to the british empire, in an new republic independed state, and the last state to be incorporated in the USA was Hawaii, a former monarchy.

Actually here are some polls of 12 nations with the percentage of people who are in favor of restorations. Keep in mind that the polls were conducted at different times, with them being either well or poorly worded or just conducted by different organizations with them being taken place in different parts of the country in question like say a poll was conducted in oh I don't know Bavaria or Crimea or California or whatever as an example.

Georgia: 57%

Nepal: 49%

Mauritius: 47%

Serbia: 40%

Albania: 33%

Russia: 22%

Romania: 21%

Germany: 19%

France: 17%

Portugal: 15%

United States of America: 13%

Greece: 12%

Brazil: 11%

-Frozen Royalist
I'm a bit puzzled about Serbia having such a high number since we've heard several times about the impopularity of Crown Prince Alexander and his wife Katherine. How reliable is this poll?

I'm a bit puzzled about Serbia having such a high number since we've heard several times about the impopularity of Crown Prince Alexander and his wife Katherine. How reliable is this poll?

I know I know, but I felt it should've been included anyway because it was on the list I saw. My apologies

-Frozen Royalist

Interesting! Which of those polls would you consider well-conducted and dependable?

Honestly I'd say Germany, France, Brazil, Portugal, Greece and the USA are the most dependable in my opinion because they've been rather consistent. Romania and Russia are all over the place with some polls showing like one out of five people in favor while the next shows like almost half the nation in favor, I guess it really depends on the public mood, location of poll, how the questions were asked and what organization was doing the asking. As for Serbia and almost everyone else, the polls are rather hinky in my opinion and especially in regard to a certain Himalayan royal family deposed roughly ten years ago.

But allow me to show you an example to polls all over the place in the form of the nation of Canada. Now most people say that they'd like to cut ties with the House of Windsor but at the same time the majority of Canadians in the polls say they absolutely adore the Queen. It honestly comes down to how the poll was conducted and how the questions were asked, plus a Canadian colleague of mine on the Royal Forums told me that hardly any Canadians really like to get rid of the monarchy and that all the political parties don't really want get rid of it either, they just like to complain about money and stuff is what he told me. My point is that polls can be screwy and sometimes rather inaccurate about true opinions, I mean yes I publish public polls on this website but at the same time I take the upmost caution now primarily because of the Serbian polls.

-Frozen Royalist

Yes I'm aware but I did find some polls with some of my fellow Americans favoring a monarchy so I decided to put the results of said poll on the Royal Forums.

-Frozen Royalist

Back
Top Bottom