Which Country Could Become A Monarchy?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The problem is, the country faces far more prevailing issues right now to actually think of restoration.

That's the problem with both this thread and the "Which country could be next to abolish their monarchy?" thread - the places we discuss have far more important things to deal with at the moment and will probably never get around to restoring/abolishing. But it's always fun to hypothesise. :)

Sorry, to bump an old thread, but I'd just like to put my 2 cents in.

As far as what countries seem like they would/could restore their monarch's sometime in the future, Montenegro, Russia and Libya come to mind. Montenegro considering they officially unofficially restored the House of Petrovic-Njegos last year and Libya and Russia since they seem to be more receptive to the idea among the former Kingdoms/Empires. Libya especially since it was the former Kingdom of Libya flag they restored after the revolution and the current heir himself seems to enjoy a measure of popularity over there and is in support of it.

Now as for which countries I'd like to see restore their Royal Families, Mexico, Brazil, Hawaii, France, Germany, Portugal, Cambodia, Vietnam, all former Middle eastern and Asian monarchies et al.

Mexico, Brazil and Hawaii especially for me. Not only would it be a powerful message for a (Or even better, 3) former American monarchy to be restored, but, especially in the first 2, I believe it would provide the people with a giant morale boost. With how the situation in Mexico has been in the past years, especially with the Cartels and the corruption they have caused within the ranks of the government, I believe a restoration would be enough to provide the people to fight back. To finally have some one to serve them as opposed to the government officials serving the Cartels and their own selfish desires.

I have also long been a supporter for Hawaiian separatism considering the way Hawaii was annexed, so of course the royal family should be restored there.

Last edited:
^^^^^
Cambodia has already restored is monarchy a few years ago.
I cannot see Russia ever becoming a monarchy again. They aready have Tsar Putin.
I am surprised an American would mention restoring the Hawaiian monarchy since that would mean Hawaii had ceceded from the US and become an independent nation again.
Mexico had its monarchy imposed on them from the outside so I doubt they have any warm memories of that period of their history. Brazil had a referendum on restoration in the late 80s and chose to continue the republic.

Scotland elected its kings until some time in the Middle Ages, I forget when. We all remember how the name "Stewart" originated, with a member of the Stewart family acting as administrator, then becoming hereditary administrators, and finally being elected king from among several who might have been named. There was opposition to the first Stewart king because he was not related to the largely Fleming landowners, but his marriage to Marjorie Bruce, of the Fleming aristocracy, made him more popular and accepted. Then the Stewarts became hereditary kings but I forget when.
this is similar to the situation in early medieval France, where there were "palace governors" in service to the hereditary kings, but these governors became so powerful that they took over, starting with Charlemagne. This is how I read it when I was studying history, anyway. Clovis was the last "divine right" king of that period, then Charlemagne took over and scattered by force the remaining descendants of the Merovingian dynasty.

Has anyone considered elected royalty? this would probably be an oligarchical situation, with only the nobles (large land owners) voting for the king. I don't think there were any queens in their own right in medieval Scotland, but there were queens who married and became powerful in their own right, such as Margaret of Scotland, who brought in the feudal and Roman Catholic organization from Europe where she grew up, although she was half English. Well that may be a ridiculous question.
If Michael of Romania is popular, or any other king, perhaps he could run for office. Many monarchies have been created out of other aristocratic families, such as the present monarchy of Sweden, and I think Luxembourg, maybe Belgium, several.

Scotland elected its kings until some time in the Middle Ages, I forget when. We all remember how the name "Stewart" originated, with a member of the Stewart family acting as administrator, then becoming hereditary administrators, and finally being elected king from among several who might have been named. There was opposition to the first Stewart king because he was not related to the largely Fleming landowners, but his marriage to Marjorie Bruce, of the Fleming aristocracy, made him more popular and accepted. Then the Stewarts became hereditary kings but I forget when.
this is similar to the situation in early medieval France, where there were "palace governors" in service to the hereditary kings, but these governors became so powerful that they took over, starting with Charlemagne. This is how I read it when I was studying history, anyway. Clovis was the last "divine right" king of that period, then Charlemagne took over and scattered by force the remaining descendants of the Merovingian dynasty.

Has anyone considered elected royalty? this would probably be an oligarchical situation, with only the nobles (large land owners) voting for the king. I don't think there were any queens in their own right in medieval Scotland, but there were queens who married and became powerful in their own right, such as Margaret of Scotland, who brought in the feudal and Roman Catholic organization from Europe where she grew up, although she was half English. Well that may be a ridiculous question.
If Michael of Romania is popular, or any other king, perhaps he could run for office. Many monarchies have been created out of other aristocratic families, such as the present monarchy of Sweden, and I think Luxembourg, maybe Belgium, several.

There are currently no elected European Monarchs,ex King Simeon II of Bulgaria was elected Prime Minister of Bulgaria from 2001 until 2005.

Michael of Romania is almost 91,I doubt he'll be running for anything :D

^^^^^
Cambodia has already restored is monarchy a few years ago.
I cannot see Russia ever becoming a monarchy again. They aready have Tsar Putin.
I am surprised an American would mention restoring the Hawaiian monarchy since that would mean Hawaii had ceceded from the US and become an independent nation again.
Mexico had its monarchy imposed on them from the outside so I doubt they have any warm memories of that period of their history. Brazil had a referendum on restoration in the late 80s and chose to continue the republic.

God I'm an idiot...I meant China.:D

Yes, I, as an American, do support Hawaii seceding. On that note I also support Puerto Rico seceding, but I know them adopting a Monarch would probably never happen.

To be fair, on the issue of Mexico, a lot of what is taught about Maximilian is all the negatives. They don't mention how he was very liberal for his time, or how he attempted to stop the war many times and even offered Juarez the post as his Prime Minister or even how much of a piece of scum Juarez was for whoring Mexico out to the US for $4 million after he took power or enacting anti-Clerical laws and even tried to set up his own Pope so he could control religion. Not saying that he's just poor ol' Maximilian being bullied by history, but he's not the monster that he's made out to be either. For Mexico, I would actually like to see a fusion between the Habsburg-Iturbide family and that of the descents of Montezuma. That way it would truly be a monarchy for the people.

As far as Brazil goes, the referendum was incredibly one sided from what I've researched. They only really talked about the choices of it being a republic and if it should be presidential or parliamentary, the choice of the monarchy was talked about so little that apparently over half of the population didn't even know it was a choice.

Last edited:
I can't see any country, existing or yet to be created, becoming a Monarchy. We're more likely to see Monarchs departing in this day and age.

maybe the french that would be exciting
i sure wish their was a monarch in america

maybe the french that would be exciting

Pigs will fly first :D

A French Restoration is highly unlikely,as much as I'd love to see a French Restoration too,I believe they had their best chance (and possibly last one) in the late 19th century.

Restorations.

The most commonly guessed restoration these days is by large odds the Montenegrin one. A few years ago, who would had thought? These things can fast change, such as the strong rising sentiment and royal affections felt in Romania. I wouldn't bet against a national debate the day King Mihai passes away, but hopefully the debate comes earlier.
China is an interesting case. I wouldn't rule out the nation considering restoring a symbolic emperor, to signify their status as the worlds leading nation, when the day comes that they overtake the U.S.

In the case of Hawaii, the royal feelings in the state are quite strong among the native Hawaiians, less so among the mainland U.S immigrants, for natural reasons. But the state itself wouldn't have to secede from the union to restore the monarchy. They could be a state with a monarch instead of a governor, and still within the union. It would rectify the gross injustice that happened in 1896, and that continues to blemish the relations between Hawaii and Washington.

Georgia is still in the running with their little newborn prince, but another likely candidate is Nepal, where a growing number reported in the media are upset with the politicians and disagree with their decision to abolish the monarchy in 2008.

On the list is, as usual, Serbia and newcomer Libya. Both have good chances of becoming monarchies again.

As for those predicting the times of restorations are over and monarchies will continue to fall, I don't see any likely candidates. Unofficial polls even in Jamaica show that there is no majority currently for severing ties with the Queen.

As for hopes, if there is any nation I would personally love to see become a monarchy again, it is Iran. I know several Iranians who have come home from visits to Turkey and declared: Turkey felt like how Iran was under the Shah. What the heck were we thinking in -78-79? ...

In a changing and shifting world, monarchies have a strong sense of lifeblood in them still, and they should be a safeguard in political systems everywhere.

In Iran, only the institution of monarchy can satisfy every ideology and fulfill people's needs.

70 - 80% of Iranian people want the institution of monarchy.

Everyone can see that the Iranian regime is collapsing. Prince Reza Pahlavi, is here preparing a return of the monarchy by mixing in a constitutional monarchy with other forms of government possibly realisable after a revolution.

A return of the Pahlavi dynasty to Iran would solve many problems. Currently Iran is falling apart, with ethnic groups demanding their autonomy or independence. A monarchy can be a neutral (in the ethnical sense) figurehead uniting the different peoples of Iran.

Prince Reza Pahlavi should become king, because the Shah and his father are responsible for all of Iran's achievements.

Well if so, let´s hope they won´t be puppets. I trust the youth there to overthrow the regime.

In Iran, only the institution of monarchy can satisfy every ideology and fulfill people's needs.

Everyone can see that the Iranian regime is collapsing. Prince Reza Pahlavi, is here preparing a return of the monarchy by mixing in a constitutional monarchy with other forms of government possibly realisable after a revolution.

A return of the Pahlavi dynasty to Iran would solve many problems. Currently Iran is falling apart, with ethnic groups demanding their autonomy or independence. A monarchy can be a neutral (in the ethnical sense) figurehead uniting the different peoples of Iran.

Prince Reza Pahlavi should become king, because the Shah and his father are responsible for all of Iran's achievements.

I believe the reason that the monarchy failed is because the former Shah became (in the eyes of Iranians) too Westernized and showed more interest in places like France and skiing in Switzerland and wasn't able to realistically create his vision since he wasn't practically educated in the ways he needed to be.

When you see him parading in military suits, it's a joke since he was never in the military, in any substantial area.

I believe the reason that the monarchy failed is because the former Shah became (in the eyes of Iranians) too Westernized and showed more interest in places like France and skiing in Switzerland and wasn't able to realistically create his vision since he wasn't practically educated in the ways he needed to be.

When you see him parading in military suits, it's a joke since he was never in the military, in any substantial area.

Try he was a tyrant and had a secret police that persectured and tortued people. He was hardly a virtue. Being westernized was not his problem. His paranoia and tyranny, were.

Yeah, that too.

The extremists won because of his abusive tyranny. Why the US government supports leaders with a secret police is beyond me.

I am from Ireland and i hope that my country would cop on to a monarchy. There is a chance of it happening considering there are still earls and lords in my country. http://monarch1996.blogspot.ie/, or by a complete of chance we join the UK again the latter being the last resort when this eu thing does'nt wash

Last edited:

Well it’s good to hear that 70 to 80 % of Iranian want institution of monarchy Or monarchy constitution !!! And it’s good too That has been openly discussed in the media about a return of Pahlavi dynasty ..

But the question is Iran it has completely changed after the Islamic revolution Or " Khomeini revolution " !! ,,, And saw an alliance between liberals and leftists and religious groups to overthrow the Shah in 1979 ,,,, But in Shah time Iran was very open country ,, BUT as i know Only a few months after the Revolution, in March 1979, Ayatollah Khomeini decreed mandatory hijab !!!

And Pahlavi dynasty very open mind family ,,, IF they return to the Rule ,, I guess Prince Reza he will remove the low of mandatory hijab in Iran ,,,
Do you think after 33 years of very Fanatical Muslim country ,,, Iranian will accept that ?????

Consider this fact as well: After 33 years of Islamic revolutionary rule and a generation grown up with practically no memory of the previous regime ,,,,, And generation grows up with different principles & Views !!!!

Do you think iranian will accept an open mind ruler ???

But I guess Prince Reza would be great to rule Iran !

It would depend on the circumstances of a restoration and the behavior of the RF. I do not think that the RF would be able to carry on as a monarchy that only has to rely on PR, but would in fact have to end up being careful and practical about their activities.

No silly degrees or expecting appearances to suffice. It would require a substantial restructuring of everything, like how it works and how the RF behaves. It would also mean a new criteria for choosing spouses.

The mistake that Charles II made is that he acted like it was his by right and that he should not have to justify himself. He and the Stuarts never understood that it was Parliament that brought them back, not God alone.

Well it’s good to hear that 70 to 80 % of Iranian want institution of monarchy Or monarchy constitution !!! And it’s good too That has been openly discussed in the media about a return of Pahlavi dynasty ..

But the question is Iran it has completely changed after the Islamic revolution Or " Khomeini revolution " !! ,,, And saw an alliance between liberals and leftists and religious groups to overthrow the Shah in 1979 ,,,, But in Shah time Iran was very open country ,, BUT as i know Only a few months after the Revolution, in March 1979, Ayatollah Khomeini decreed mandatory hijab !!!

And Pahlavi dynasty very open mind family ,,, IF they return to the Rule ,, I guess Prince Reza he will remove the low of mandatory hijab in Iran ,,,
Do you think after 33 years of very Fanatical Muslim country ,,, Iranian will accept that ?????

Consider this fact as well: After 33 years of Islamic revolutionary rule and a generation grown up with practically no memory of the previous regime ,,,,, And generation grows up with different principles & Views !!!!

Do you think iranian will accept an open mind ruler ???

But I guess Prince Reza would be great to rule Iran !

I have a close friend who left Iran with her husband and two children after the overthrow. She had been arrested for wearing make up in public. Sge tells me that the young people in Iran now have no idea how free personal behaviour was before the Ayatollah.

I have a close friend who left Iran with her husband and two children after the overthrow. She had been arrested for wearing make up in public. Sge tells me that the young people in Iran now have no idea how free personal behaviour was before the Ayatollah.

Yes there the situation not easy ,,, My sister went to Iran for just 2 days for a Business ,,, And she said the situation there very difficult ,,, But People of Iran now used to that life ,,, so now they not see any Difficulty !!!
But if really everything would change ,,, How their reaction would be ?
They gonna accept new life , and open minded country ,,, or they will disagree ??
we just need some Iranian here to answer us . :flowers:

Is there any way in which I can buy an Island and proclaim my own kingdom? There will be a vacancy for "Minister of coconut affairs" if anybody is interested. I'd Love to be king!

I am from Ireland and i hope that my country would cop on to a monarchy. There is a chance of it happening considering there are still earls and lords in my country. Monarchy is the way forward !, or by a complete of chance we join the UK again the latter being the last resort when this eu thing does'nt wash

I'm also Irish and I can't say I'd oppose a monarchy!! However, it would be near to impossible to restore one. Before occupation, Ireland consisted of smaller kingdoms. Many of royal birth here were killed or fled. So it would be like trying to find a needle in haystack!

I don't agree however with rejoining the UK monarchy. I respect Queen Elizabeth but we would need someone who could represent and embody our culture, customs, traditions, language etc. That's the role of a monarch right? And I'm afraid Queen Elizabeth, Prince Charles, Prince William just... wouldn't work...

I'm also Irish and I can't say I'd oppose a monarchy!! However, it would be near to impossible to restore one. Before occupation, Ireland consisted of smaller kingdoms. Many of royal birth here were killed or fled. So it would be like trying to find a needle in haystack!

I don't agree however with rejoining the UK monarchy. I respect Queen Elizabeth but we would need someone who could represent and embody our culture, customs, traditions, language etc. That's the role of a monarch right? And I'm afraid Queen Elizabeth, Prince Charles, Prince William just... wouldn't work...

How about An Ard Rí ;)

Sadly a restoration of Monarchy in the Irish Republic is as likely as Madonna joining an enclosed convent ;)

At least a small region of the Philippines will become a federation of monarchies again.

With the peace agreement between the Muslim rebels and the Philippine government (which is mostly Christian) finally signed, the minority Muslim regions will be given autonomy. As a result, the various Sultans of the Muslim regions (called Bangsamoro state) of the Philippines will be officially reinstated. So at least a small region of the Philippines will become a federation of monarchies again.

In the case of Hawaii, the royal feelings in the state are quite strong among the native Hawaiians, less so among the mainland U.S immigrants, for natural reasons. But the state itself wouldn't have to secede from the union to restore the monarchy. They could be a state with a monarch instead of a governor, and still within the union. It would rectify the gross injustice that happened in 1896, and that continues to blemish the relations between Hawaii and Washington.

The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, [...]
(Article Four of the United States Constitution)

I'm not surprised you haven't read it.

The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, [...]
(Article Four of the United States Constitution)

I'm not surprised you haven't read it.

For sure!

Sorry Ocean80, but that would not happen -a break from the union would need to happen in order to restore the monarchy as it would be going against everything fought fir and everything the US itself stands for. Would/could not happen. Republican form of government (as stated in article four) is the only way to go if they stay in the union.

Yes there the situation not easy ,,, My sister went to Iran for just 2 days for a Business ,,, And she said the situation there very difficult ,,, But People of Iran now used to that life ,,, so now they not see any Difficulty !!!
But if really everything would change ,,, How their reaction would be ?
They gonna accept new life , and open minded country ,,, or they will disagree ??
we just need some Iranian here to answer us . :flowers:

This is an interesting thread . . . I would love to read more opinions on this subject. I do not know much about the situation in Iran before the current state of affairs, in school I met many Iranians and they were very lovely people. I have also followed news over the years about the Pahlavi's and enjoy seeing the family of Reza Pahlavi II. What is the level of acceptance of the royal family at this point? Another country of interest is France. It would be so awesome to bring back a modern style of monarchy to France. I think we are seeing that the current monarchies are working hard to find a useful place among their people and cultures and are focusing on giving back. Somehow having the stability of an institution (with accountability of course) apart from a democratic form of government (that is one choicen by the majority) has some appeal particularly in today's rapid changing world.

Back
Top Bottom