The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #481  
Old 07-22-2021, 09:18 PM
Blog Real's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 8,507
My opinion on the current non-reigning royal families and their current role in their country:

Europe:
Albania - The Royal Family is doing some activities and seems to have a role to play. For now, it's everything.

Austria - It's hard to say. The Royal Family doesn't show up much and has no visible activities. The Royal Family does not even have its own website on the internet.

Germany - Same as Austria. Little or no activities. But they have a royal residence at their disposal and they live there.

Bulgaria - The King and Queen are doing some activities. But the rest of the royal family hardly appears. The King has a royal residence in Bulgaria.

France - It's hard to say. There are three families (Orleans, Bourbon and Bonaparte). But they carry out some activities in the name of the French monarchy.

Greece - I think this family could do more and have more activities. The Kings already live in Greece, and Prince Nikolaos and Princess Tatiana do too. It is unfortunate that the Royal Family has not been able to recover any of their former palaces.

Italy - The Sabóia family managed to return to Italy several years ago. There are some royalist movements in Italy. But the family doesn't seem to have a lot of activities. The Italian Royal Family does not even have its own website on the internet.

Portugal - In my opinion, the Portuguese Royal Family works hardest to preserve the legacy of their ancestors and monarchy. The Portuguese Royal Family always has many activities. And unlike other non-reigning royal families, the Portuguese royal family has a website on the internet (which could be renewed).

Romania - The Royal Family of Romania is one of the hardest working and has a semi-official role in their country. It is an example to other non-reigning royal families.

Russia-The Grand Duchess Maria Vladmirovna and her son carry out some activities on behalf of their family. But they still need to do more, is my opinion.

Serbia - It is the non-reigning royal families that work the most and have the most activities. And it also seems to have a semi-official role in your country.

Outside Europe:

Brazil - The Imperial Family of Brazil is always involved in many activities and with many members of the imperial family working for the monarchic cause.

Iran - I don't think the members of this family show up. Who appears most is the Empress Farah Palahvi.

Nepal- It is the country most likely to restore its monarchy. The Royal Family seems to care about their country and people.

What I think is that these families may not be reigning but they have a role and a legacy to keep and a history and a past that will forever link them to their country. Some non-reigning royal families seem to realize this, but others don't...
__________________

__________________
My blogs about monarchies
Reply With Quote
  #482  
Old 07-23-2021, 04:04 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 34,354
King Simeon scuppered any chances of restoration by becoming the PM in the early 2000's and I don't think any of his children or grandchildren live in Bulgaria?

Of the above list Romania is the shinning light.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #483  
Old 07-23-2021, 05:16 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 11,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
King Simeon scuppered any chances of restoration by becoming the PM in the early 2000's and I don't think any of his children or grandchildren live in Bulgaria?

Of the above list Romania is the shinning light.
Romania is remarkable. They recently started to use a new website and show that with a limited budget and a small but dedicated staff lots can be done.

But restoration? No. In fact Romania has the best of two worlds: it is democracy which includes all functions in society ánd it gives a meaningful and honourable position to the Royal House. Let us say: it is a republican monarchy without a democratic gap.

The other European monarchies are republican monarchies as well, as the head of state is essentially ceremonial indeed, but the people have no any say in who is to he their head of state indeed.
Reply With Quote
  #484  
Old 07-23-2021, 05:31 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 34,354
Agree its as good as gets for the Romanian RF and they've achieved far more than any other former royal house.

The Romanian RF have a far more savvy online media approach than some of the better off reigning houses.
Reply With Quote
  #485  
Old 07-24-2021, 05:10 AM
Stefan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Esslingen, Germany
Posts: 5,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Agree its as good as gets for the Romanian RF and they've achieved far more than any other former royal house.

The Romanian RF have a far more savvy online media approach than some of the better off reigning houses.

But so far there is no real future as there is no clear successor for the custodian. And to that all the Family quarrels.
__________________
Stefan



Reply With Quote
  #486  
Old 07-24-2021, 05:13 AM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 34,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
But so far there is no real future as there is no clear successor for the custodian. And to that all the Family quarrels.
That's very true and what happens after the current custodian the Crown Princess is anyones guess.
Reply With Quote
  #487  
Old 07-25-2021, 02:30 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 11,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
But so far there is no real future as there is no clear successor for the custodian. And to that all the Family quarrels.
Of course there are successors. Myself coming from a country with three successive Queens, of which two were single child and and unique sole successor, there are relatively plenty...

Alteța Sa Regală Principesă Elena a României (1950)
Doamnă Elisabeta Karina de Roumanie Medforth Mills (1980)
Alteța Sa Regală Principesă Sofia a României (1957)
Doamnă Elisabeta-Maria de Roumanie Biarneix (1999)
Alteța Sa Regală Principesă Maria a României (1964)
Reply With Quote
  #488  
Old 07-25-2021, 10:16 AM
Blog Real's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 8,507
Hola magazine made a documentary entitled "Reyes sin Corona" about the non-reigning royal families of Europe.
The documentary features interviews with the Dukes of Bragança, Princes Leka and Elia of Albania and King Simeon II of Bulgaria.

https://www.hola.com/tv/especiales/t...rona/9fV7r75a/
__________________
My blogs about monarchies
Reply With Quote
  #489  
Old 10-12-2021, 08:53 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Los Angeles area, United States
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lox View Post
Do you think that there is any country in the world that will become a monarchy - again or for the first time? Personally, I think that it probably won’t happen, but if I have to choose one country, I would say:

Serbia. This country has been through so much and maybe the current pretender Alexander could be a unifying force. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksandar_II_Karadjordjevic

In Asia, perhaps Vietnam will become a monarchy again in a very distant future. Compare with the recent restoration of the monarchy in Cambodia.
I think that Afghanistan might have been capable of becoming a monarchy again in 2001-2002 after the fall of the Taliban had the Bush Administration here in the US actually supported such a move instead of opposing it. Now it's obviously too late, of course, though maybe there could eventually be another opening in regards to this if the Taliban will ever actually lose their hold on power in Afghanistan. Though of course this is unlikely to happen soon, if it ever actually happens at all.
Reply With Quote
  #490  
Old 10-12-2021, 08:56 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Los Angeles area, United States
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
King Simeon scuppered any chances of restoration by becoming the PM in the early 2000's and I don't think any of his children or grandchildren live in Bulgaria?

Of the above list Romania is the shinning light.
Do you think that he could have actually gotten restored had he not become Prime Minister in the early 2000s?
Reply With Quote
  #491  
Old 10-13-2021, 01:00 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist View Post
Do you think that he could have actually gotten restored had he not become Prime Minister in the early 2000s?

I bit doubt that Bulgarian monarchy would had still restored but ex-king's decision to step to politics really damaged monarchist cause.
Reply With Quote
  #492  
Old 10-13-2021, 01:47 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 11,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist View Post
Do you think that he could have actually gotten restored had he not become Prime Minister in the early 2000s?
No. At best the same as in Romania where the former Royal House has a semi-formal ceremonial and protocollary role inside the republican state structure, complete with a Budget, accomodation, staffing, facilities and assistance from the State.

By becoming a partisan politician King Simeon blew up all his chances.
Reply With Quote
  #493  
Old 10-13-2021, 04:04 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Los Angeles area, United States
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
No. At best the same as in Romania where the former Royal House has a semi-formal ceremonial and protocollary role inside the republican state structure, complete with a Budget, accomodation, staffing, facilities and assistance from the State.

By becoming a partisan politician King Simeon blew up all his chances.
Thanks; that makes sense.
Reply With Quote
  #494  
Old 10-13-2021, 04:05 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Los Angeles area, United States
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedrich Karl II View Post
I bit doubt that Bulgarian monarchy would had still restored but ex-king's decision to step to politics really damaged monarchist cause.
Maybe he wanted to show that he was capable of actually governing like the monarchs of the old days were?
Reply With Quote
  #495  
Old 10-13-2021, 05:55 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 11,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist View Post
Maybe he wanted to show that he was capable of actually governing like the monarchs of the old days were?
Former King Simeon of Bulgaria, Prinz von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha became Mr Simeon Sakskoburggotski.

In 2001 he won nearly 43 % of the vote (meaning 57 % did not vote for him) and per definition the unpartial, constitional monarch became a partisan politician.

Four years later, in 2005, Simeon's party suffered huge losses, falling to 19,88 % of the vote.

Again four years later, in 2009, Simeon's party scored just 3,1 % of the vote, an immensely humiliating defeat and once more a warning that royals should avoid partisanism as the plague.

Whatever Simeon wanted to prove: it was a misjudgement hors categorie to engage in party politics.
Reply With Quote
  #496  
Old 10-13-2021, 06:34 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Los Angeles area, United States
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Former King Simeon of Bulgaria, Prinz von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha became Mr Simeon Sakskoburggotski.

In 2001 he won nearly 43 % of the vote (meaning 57 % did not vote for him) and per definition the unpartial, constitional monarch became a partisan politician.

Four years later, in 2005, Simeon's party suffered huge losses, falling to 19,88 % of the vote.

Again four years later, in 2009, Simeon's party scored just 3,1 % of the vote, an immensely humiliating defeat and once more a warning that royals should avoid partisanism as the plague.

Whatever Simeon wanted to prove: it was a misjudgement hors categorie to engage in party politics.
What exactly ruined his popularity so badly? I'm asking because some politicians do, in fact, manage to remain popular for a long time.
Reply With Quote
  #497  
Old 10-14-2021, 01:23 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist View Post
Maybe he wanted to show that he was capable of actually governing like the monarchs of the old days were?

If so, he wasn't really smart on that. Him should had realised that royals can't just step to politics and govern that easily. It just was blatant blunder. It might had worked yet in early 20th century but not anymore in post-WW2 era. Just wondering, didn't anyone on his staff or family warned Simeon that it wouldn't be good idea enter to politics?
Reply With Quote
  #498  
Old 10-14-2021, 03:23 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 11,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist View Post
What exactly ruined his popularity so badly? I'm asking because some politicians do, in fact, manage to remain popular for a long time.

Simeon Sakskoburggotski succesfully steered former Communist Bulgaria into the NATO and on the doorstep of a membership to the EU. But alike many British are now wondering "Whatever happened to Brexit's promised sunlit uplands?", it was the same for the Bulgarians.

The transformantion from a rigid Communist planned economy to the volatile and competitive free market was very painful for many Bulgarians. And then the Prime Minister became the punching bag for the desillusioned Bulgarians. Simeon Sakskoburggotski became synonymous with recession, desorganization, retreat and disappointment.

Chancellor Helmut Kohl promised the same to the former DDR: blühende landschaften as an economic vision for the former DDR. Thanks to unbelievable mega-transfers of billions from former West-Germany to former East-Germany this did succeed, much later than promised, but it was equally painful for the East-Germans, who saw their economy completely collapsed.

The difference between Helmut Kohl and Simeon von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha was that the first one always was a partisan politician and the other an unpartial former constitutional King whom became a very partisan politician indeed.
Reply With Quote
  #499  
Old 10-14-2021, 05:07 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Los Angeles area, United States
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Simeon Sakskoburggotski succesfully steered former Communist Bulgaria into the NATO and on the doorstep of a membership to the EU. But alike many British are now wondering "Whatever happened to Brexit's promised sunlit uplands?", it was the same for the Bulgarians.

The transformantion from a rigid Communist planned economy to the volatile and competitive free market was very painful for many Bulgarians. And then the Prime Minister became the punching bag for the desillusioned Bulgarians. Simeon Sakskoburggotski became synonymous with recession, desorganization, retreat and disappointment.

Chancellor Helmut Kohl promised the same to the former DDR: blühende landschaften as an economic vision for the former DDR. Thanks to unbelievable mega-transfers of billions from former West-Germany to former East-Germany this did succeed, much later than promised, but it was equally painful for the East-Germans, who saw their economy completely collapsed.

The difference between Helmut Kohl and Simeon von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha was that the first one always was a partisan politician and the other an unpartial former constitutional King whom became a very partisan politician indeed.
That makes sense. Thank you. It's sad that a former King who actually tried to do so much good for his country ended up losing a lot of popularity because people's expectations were set too high. :(
Reply With Quote
  #500  
Old 10-14-2021, 05:08 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Los Angeles area, United States
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Romania is remarkable. They recently started to use a new website and show that with a limited budget and a small but dedicated staff lots can be done.

But restoration? No. In fact Romania has the best of two worlds: it is democracy which includes all functions in society ánd it gives a meaningful and honourable position to the Royal House. Let us say: it is a republican monarchy without a democratic gap.

The other European monarchies are republican monarchies as well, as the head of state is essentially ceremonial indeed, but the people have no any say in who is to he their head of state indeed.
Question: How would a Romanian-style arrangement actually work in a place such as Italy where the succession to the defunct royal throne is disputed? Should be Italian republican government give both claimants some kind of official recognition, or what?
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
constitution, future, pretender, restore, royalist


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which Country Could Next Abolish Their Monarchy? norwegianne General Royal Discussion 537 06-20-2018 03:55 PM
From a country saved by the Monarchy Haliotis Member Introductions 3 03-30-2008 03:27 PM




Popular Tags
#uae #abudhabirullingfamily 18th birthday abdullah ii albert prince consort all tags archie mountbatten-windsor asia asian austria birth braganza british royal family cadwallader camilla charles colorblindness crown jewels danish royal family de la cerda denmark dubai expo duchess of kent duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex gemstones genetics harry and meghan henry viii history india ingrid-alexandra ivrea japan japanese imperial family japan history jordan royal family king edward iii king henry iii king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander liechtenstein lili mountbatten-windsor maria ii medical monarchist movements monarchists mongolia mountbatten nara period noble families norway crown princely couple orleans-braganza pedro ii politics portugal prince andrew prince charles prince of wales in jordan queen margrethe ii queen mathilde queen maxima queen victoria samurai spanish royal family state visit st edward tokugawa uae


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:02 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2022
Jelsoft Enterprises
×