Which Country Could Become A Monarchy?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No any new monarchy will be established. The current monarchies (with mainly ceremonial and protocollary role) only survive because these are embedded in a historically grown status-quo.

They are "tolerated" while everyone realizes the anomaly of having hereditary succession of the highest office of state inside a particular family within in a parliamentary democracy.

With other words: too much fuzz to remove them ánd with their ceremonial and protocollary role they are just ornamental to the Theatre of State.

No any new monarchy will be established. The current monarchies (with mainly ceremonial and protocollary role) only survive because these are embedded in a historically grown status-quo.

They are "tolerated" while everyone realizes the anomaly of having hereditary succession of the highest office of state inside a particular family within in a parliamentary democracy.

With other words: too much fuzz to remove them ánd with their ceremonial and protocollary role they are just ornamental to the Theatre of State.

I’m not implying that it’s possible for new monarchies to be created. In fact, I find it impossible, hence the absurdity of my “suggestions”. As I’ve said earlier, I created this thread to lighten up the mood, so no need to be a party pooper.

And “no any”? Please omit the “any” next time.

It partly depends, how one defines monarchy: Is for example North Korea, where power is inherited from the father to the son, absolute power, a monarchy? It depends...

I am quite "optimistic" that we will see more person centred regimes, in which power stays within one family, soon enough...

Now, besides that, what is with constitutional monarchies? The last, me thinks, which was erected without a real tradiion, was Norway. They elected 1905 a King out of a bunch of Danish nobles.

And why not? The European countries, which abolished monarchy, are total losers the one way or the other. The took a big L, blamed the King and that's it. But what, if they take another big Loss, while now there is no Monarch anymore to blame? Monarchs are perfect scape goats... Every decent nation should have one!

Last edited:
You claim that these are all fun and lighthearted, but then take care to consider how precarious Venezuela is, while just saying either of Maxima's non-heiress daughters would be a great queen of Argentina OR the Zorreguieta family, ignoring the fact Jorge Zorreguieta wasn't allowed at his daughter's wedding due to his complicity with the country's last terror regime?

Maxima and her girls are very popular there but I'm still pretty sure the Argentinians would prefer somebody else. Why not a descendant of San Martin?

Last edited:
You claim that these are all fun and lighthearted, but then take care to consider how precarious Venezuela is, while just saying either of Maxima's non-heiress daughters would be a great queen of Argentina OR the Zorreguieta family, ignoring the fact Jorge Zorreguieta wasn't allowed at his daughters' wedding due to his complicity with the country's last terror regime?

Maxima and her girls are very popular there but I'm still pretty sure the Argentinians would prefer somebody else. Why not a descendant of San Martin?

Because Jose de San Martin does not have living descendants?:flowers:
(Both his granddaughters - children of his only daughter - died childless)

Because Jose de San Martin does not have living descendants?:flowers:
(Both his granddaughters - children of his only daughter - died childless)

Which I'm still sure they'd probably prefer over a Zorreguieta. :flowers: Or any of a list of people who do have descendants.

I don't know if my suggestion is lighthearted. But in an alternative world I can easily envision: Scotland will create it's own monarchy, perhaps based on a branch of the BRF seeking refuge there.

In the very dark vision I have, Scotland will secede from UK and given that things in that alternative world may not change in a foreseeable future, a member of the BRF may be recognized as a provisional head of state - with support from not only the ethnic Scottish but also other ethnicities living in Scotland.
And over time, say ten years, the provisional head of state and his/her family will de facto become and eventually be crowned as monarch of Scotland under say the name of Stewart or James.

Other alternative: Russia.
Having a tzar, that is controlled by the government, might in many ways legitimize the government even more and perhaps appeal very much to Russian nationalism - I need not add that nationalism is very much on the rise globally...
It also removes the annoying problem with having a president, with a diffuse but potentially "irritating" role. Instead there will be a PM, "sanctioned and appointed" by the tsar.
There will be the glitter and magnificence of a resurrected Russia. Should appeal to quite a few.

Third alternative: Turkey.
Erdogan is doing his best (along with his family and close supporters) to pull an Augustus. I.e. being the "First Citizen" and we all know how that developed...
Erdogan has millions of devoted supporters (many of whom, perhaps somewhat surprisingly, live in EU) who would happily appoint Erdogan to President for Life - and what's the differences between that and First Citizen and eventually Sultan?

I don't think a country will go back to Monarchy. History doesn't go back in the past.

It's not impossible. Spain is an example of a European country that has seen its monarchy restored.
And this could also have happened in other countries at that time.

It's not impossible. Spain is an example of a European country that has seen its monarchy restored.

The Spanish monarchy was never completely removed.... Franco kept in toucn iwth the RF, and Juan Carlos was ready to take over when he died. it wasn't a big leap for them to bring the monarchy back.

Where do you have that number from?
I can assure you there is no support for a monarchy in Austria. Most people would laugh their heads off about such an idea.

Otto von Habsburg was a highly respected man but even he had no chance to restore the monarchy.

And considering the last emperor/empress stole the crown jewels when they left in 1918 what kind of treatment should the Habsburgs receive?. That for any thieves?
I think it was already very generous of Austria to allow the last empress to be buried in the Kapuzinergruft.
Austria succumbed to Nazi rule long after the family was exiled and their personal properties were taken away. It wasn’t necessarily generous for them to allow to her to be buried when they had essentially banished her for many years.

Last edited:

Under Franco Spain was a monarchy but with General Franco as Generalísimo or Head of State.
Franco proclaimed Spain a monarchy in 1947 but never restored its monarch.

Like previously stated, Spain was quiet special case. Franco was dictator and regent of Spain which was formally monarchy without king. Imaginate interwar Kingdom of Hungary under regent Horthy. In democratic nation it would be almost impossible in many cases. I could see only Romania, Serbia and Montenegro restoring monarchy but even they seem bit unlikely. Bulgaria had too chances but Simeon II's stupidity effectively killed whole thing. And Albania too seems quiet unlikely.

The last time a country switched from republic to monarchy was 1993 in Cambodia, under the supervision of the UN. Even so, it didn't bring democracy because of Hun Sen's authoritarian rule as prime minister since 1998.

I think the country most likely to become a monarchy is Nepal due to protests calling for its restoration as of late. It's a fairly slim chance, however, because Gyanendra attempted to turn his country into an absolute monarchy when he was king, which doesn't sit well for many Nepalese. Next is Libya because calls for restoring its monarchy has gained mainstream traction, not because of monarchist sentiments, but because it was deposed by a bogus regime (the Gaddafi regime), similar to the Baltic states when they restored their pre-Soviet republics after breaking free from the Soviet Union. Even so, it's still hard because of the Wagner Group's strong presence in the country.

I don't think I'll will see any future restorations in my lifetime!

You never know. tehre coudl be a High King of Ireland.

Ireland is already so republican that probably France and United States are more republicans.

Realistically there is not many countries which would restore their monarchies and what longer a country has been republic, more implausible is restoration. Only few countries in history have restored monarchy and these have been republics only couple decades. England was under rule only ten years in 17th century after monarchy was restored. France had really shake system where it was monarchy, then republic and monarchy was restored couple times. Finally France became republic again in 1871 and it is now really staunch republic. Last monarch reigned over 150 years ago. Not really likely. Spanish first republic in 1870's lasted only few years. Second one lasted lesser than ten years and became military dictatorship. Cambodia has been republic only couple decades.

Only Nepal and some Balkans nations have even some chances to restre monarchy but even they are not really likely. Most monarchies were abolished over 100 years ago and these former ones are pretty republican nations now. Even some claimants don't think that restoration is possible.

Is there any chance of restoring the monarchy in Nepal?

I don't know how likely it is but IMO it is more plausible than restoring of monarchies of Serbia, Romania or Albania. Abolition of Nepalese monarchy is only 12 years and last king is still alive.

I don't know how likely it is but IMO it is more plausible than restoring of monarchies of Serbia, Romania or Albania. Abolition of Nepalese monarchy is only 12 years and last king is still alive.

In 2001 nine members of the royal family, including King Birendra and Queen Aishwarya, were killed by Crown Prince Dipendra in a mass shooting during a gathering of the royal family at the palace. I can not imagine the Nepalese people longing for a return of this utterly dysfunctional family.

I understand your desire to see deposed monarchies restored, but you must also understand the reasons for their deposition, which is often much more nuanced than merely assuming radicals or traitors unjustly deposed them. In Nepal, for instance, King Gyanendra attempted to reinstate an absolute monarchy in the name of quelling Maoists, and there was the Nepalese Royal Massacre before that, as Duc_et_Pair pointed out.

Anyway, to answer your question, it's very low. Sure, there are protests calling for the monarchy's restoration, but they number only in the thousands and lack organized leadership.

If France were to become a monarchy, which Pretender is chosen?
Prince Louis Alphonse, Duke of Anjou as King Louis XX of France
Prince Jean, Count of Paris as King Jean IV of France
Prince Charles Napoleon as Napoleon VII
Prince Jean Christophe as Napoleon VIII

IIRC Orléanists are most popular among French monarchists. But that restoration is not going to happen so that not matter so much.

Luis Alfonso de Borbón is only a pretender by selective memory. He is the most senior Borbón indeed, the most senior legal male agnate descending from Louis XIV. But his line solemnly renounced all claims on the throne of France, exactly to obtain the throne of Spain, by international treaty even, because the rest of Europe did fear a merge of two grand Empires under one Bourbon King.

This did result in today's former Royal House of France (Bourbon) and today's Royal House of Spain (Borbón). The same House but strictly separated in terms of succession rights. The line of Luis Alfonso only became interested in a French claim after his grandfather the Infante Jaime (eldest brother of Juan Carlos' father) renounced as Heir of Spain because he was born deaf and mute.

The head of the former Royal House of France is Jean d'Orléans, a direct descendant of the last King. The head of the former Imperial House is Charles Napoléon, not at all descending from the last Emperor Napoléon III or from Emperor Napoléon I himself. His line descents from Napoléon's youngest brother Jérôme Napoléon.

Last edited:
Restoration of Monarchy in Hungary has a chance

Yeah, sure, the Fidesz of Prime Minister Orbán has all power but suddenly they want to install an Austrian family as hereditary heads of state? I would say: dream on, folks. We will sooner see monarchies ending than new monarchies emerging.

Last edited:
No chance on the restauration of a Monarchy anywhere,not now.Not ever.Alas.

I’ve always said Romania is the only country with a whisker of a chance of its monarchy being restored someday, but nowhere else.

Yeah, sure, the Fidesz of Prime Minister Orbán has all power but suddenly they want to install an Austrian family as hereditary heads of state? I would say: dream on, folks. We will sooner see monarchies ending than new monarchies emerging.

The Austrian family who memebers ge employ and work for his government?

Back
Top Bottom